Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Tutorial Game: Big Trouble in Little Nectopia

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

OOC: Sorry folks, I'll be back to this tomorrow, RL got in the way today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Looking at Oltu, over 6 ft and feet the size of boats, you'd think she'd never be able to creep up anywhere sliently nor stand anywhere without being noticed but over the years she'd realised this was a useful skill.

"Boo", she drops all the bards equipment with a loud clanger that could be heard all over the forest

"hey team" Oltu smiles "hugs before we get going?" she then growls

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

/Looks at the pile of bard things

"Did you...did he...how did...WTF? Are we down our only healer?"

/Hides the health potion under the tunic

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

"You think I did it? NOOoooooo, he just combusted there in tavern."

/Looks over at the Tavern

"his banjo was gone!"
    "Grumps, hey look you don't mind me calling you that? Great. So, Grumps, I've got healing in my blood. Healing, guidance and in blood, we gonna be alright!"

/glances to the forest and shakes in fear

" We are all gonna be alright"

Clarabel wrote: »
    "You think I did it? NOOoooooo, he just combusted there in tavern."

/Looks over at the Tavern

"his banjo was gone!"
    "Grumps, hey look you don't mind me calling you that? Great. So, Grumps, I've got healing in my blood. Healing, guidance and in blood, we gonna be alright!"

/glances to the forest and shakes in fear

" We are all gonna be alright"
    "My apologies on misunderstanding your talents Druid. I am grateful that we will have a healer amongst us.
    As for 'Grumps', you may use that if you wish but it is not my name. You speak Orc? Then perhaps you recognise that my name is Orkish, Nuk meaning Bad and Lok meaning Run. Goblin mothers tell tales to their spawn about the NukLok, a nightmare of fear, a bogyman if you will. I have taken the name NukLok from that childhood story to remind any goblins or orcs or bugbears that they are my prey. So, call me Grumpy if you will but I will not answer to it."

• Advertisement

As the party relax and converse at the smelter, they look up to see Captain Hemsworth striding with purpose from the barracks.

Clad in custom plate armour with one shoulder free, he carries a monstrous war hammer. Though it seems ordinary folk would struggle to lift it, he carries it in one hand with ease.

thorhammer-ft.jpg

As he reaches the smelter it is clear he is in military mode, and he looks around to see if all of the party are present. He lets out a loud, sharp shout:

'Patrollers, Assemble!'

I take a last piss against the wall of the smelter, string my bow and secure my rapier to stop it jangling.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

Calippo looks around.

"Patrollers?" she asks herself "He must mean this ragtag group of misfits...".

She walks up to Captain Hemsworth and wonders if he handles his hammer as well as he seems to be able to carry it.

"Its not about the size of the hammer, its all about your ability to clobber". She thinks to herself as she is sizing up the Captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

Hom gathers his equipment, exhales a sigh and falls in.

"What's the plan captain?"

Guffy wrote: »
    Hom gathers his equipment, exhales a sigh and falls in.

"What's the plan captain?"

'There have been sightings of goblins in the forest. We are to patrol the areas nearest the town here and report back any sightings. I trust some of you are versed in scouting?'

He looks at Nuklok and Shaadyx in particular.

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    'There have been sightings of goblins in the forest. We are to patrol the areas nearest the town here and report back any sightings. I trust some of you are versed in scouting?'

He looks at Nuklok and Shaadyx in particular.
    OOC: Do tieflings have darkvision?

I nod to Shaadyx and to Harmsway then move out 50ft ahead of the party and start looking for signs of goblins.

OOC: Yep

The party leaves the village, following the path south as it winds towards the forest, Shaadyx and NukLok about 50 feet out in front scouting for danger.

As the two reach a clearing just before the forest begins, Hemsworth calls softly.

'Hold up. We should check the area for any signs of goblin activity.'

OOC: Perception (Wisdom) Check, all of you. You can all roll a d20 here (command is #d20) if you know your modifier, add it otherwise I have it anyways.

Target is 15.

OOC: Goblins are my "favoured enemy" - Ranger feature and my background of Haunted One due to goblins. :) Can I use a Survival check rather than perception to check for goblin signs? Survival check allows me an Advantage roll.

OOC: Sure, go for it :D

OOC: Rolz an 11

Ooc: is there something extra to add on for darkvision other than modifier?

Rolled a 9

Rolled a 9

OOC: No unfortunately. Just means you can see in the dark

OOC: Nope. Darkvision is simply the ability to see in poor light. It can be used strategically by allowing a scout to move out ahead of the party and away from any torch bearers but it doesn't modify your roll (unless your GamesMaster magnanimously grants you advantage on a roll :D ).

As the group search the area for any signs of goblin activity, they come up with nothing (OOC: Basically none of the rolls were a success)

Hemsworth sighs and mutters to himself 'Bloody recruits.'

He steps forward and scans the area, checking each tree, looking at the ground.

'You are all new, and learning. Come, look here and you might all learn.'

He shows them a gnarled oak just before the path leads into the forest.

'See, look at the wood here, there are sword knicks. Goblins are oafish and clumsy, their weapons hit off this tree.'

Then he shows them a trampled patch of grass.

'Their retreat was hasty, scattered. They were running from something. Quite what... I do not know.'

He looks to NukLok.

'Lead on, let us see if your scouting skills improve as we progress.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

"What do you mean, we are all new? You're a cheeky bugger who's mother never put manners on. Is this your first rodeo? You have the command ability of a donkey arse!"

• Advertisement

Hom curses at himself for missing the obvious tracks, scouting was never his forte though so he shrugs it off.

He was more concerned that the so called scouts of the company failed to spot the signs.

"Get yer heads in it lads, I don't want to be skewered in a bloody Goblin ambush" He tightens his grip on his shield hoping not to be in a situation where he is forced to use the healing potion from the tavern. "Gah i wish i punched that bloody Gnome in the nose and made him drink it himself", he thought longing for some piece of mind.

He'd wait until Nuklok used his before he could rest easy. Until then he raised his shield that little bit higher and followed after the scout, not to close mind.

I follow the signs as far as I can under Harmsways tutelage, hating the idea of being bested by anyone.

OOC: Rolz 22 (Advantage due to a Ranger feature) :)

sKeith wrote: »
    "What do you mean, we are all new? You're a cheeky bugger who's mother never put manners on. Is this your first rodeo? You have the command ability of a donkey arse!"

'I see you still have some of that dwarven resolve at least. Good, it will serve you well in the coming days'

The party continues into the forest, NukLok scouting ahead, his keen eyes following the trail made.

The path winds east and NukLok can make out a darkened copse of trees off the path on his left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

OOC: I'm pretty swamped today, may not get on until later this evening, so please autopilot me as necessary.

I signal an alert to the patrol to approach with caution, nock an arrow then hide in the shadows observing the copse.

OldGoat wrote: »
    I signal an alert to the patrol to approach with caution, nock an arrow then hide in the shadows observing the copse.

He can make out a smattering of various plants growing around the edge of the copse, no sign of anything else.

Captain Hemsworth moves up beside NukLok.

'How would you advise we proceed, ranger?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Star wields his might Great Axe in anticipation of some action and joins the ranger and the hammer guy.

sKeith wrote: »
    Star wields his might Great Axe in anticipation of some action and joins the ranger and the hammer guy.

Hemsworth turns as Star joins them.

'Ah, dwarf. Your experience in combat may help - how would you advise we proceed?'

Necro wrote: »
    He can make out a smattering of various plants growing around the edge of the copse, no sign of anything else.

Captain Hemsworth moves up beside NukLok.

'How would you advise we proceed, ranger?'
    "Stealthily". I move into the woods.

• Advertisement

OOC: Stealth (Dex) check to see if you make it to the copse un-noticed. Target 11

Advertisement