Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to donate old computers and technical books?

• 13-08-2019 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

I have a few old (some more than 10 yrs) desktops and laptops, and a lot of professional books on software development, Windows, Excel, etc.
    Camara's telephone message says they don't take private donations any more, only corporates, which I guess means suites of 3-year old desktops.
    The books would not suit a general audience like a charity shop or public library and I don't think third level colleges accept donations of books.
    Any suggestions?
    TIA
    Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Green bin (books) and local recycling centre (PCs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

:D

My main PC is more than 10 years old ..... the last BIOS update was in 2012!
    My backup machine is a duplicate in a different case.

I would love to get my hands on some PCs that are not so old as to be useless.

Unfortunately once they go into the recycle centre any idea of re-use is gone out the window!

IMO there should be a 'pre' stage to those centres, from where useful stuff can be taken for re-use, rather than destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

:D

My main PC is more than 10 years old ..... the last BIOS update was in 2012!
    My backup machine is a duplicate in a different case.

I would love to get my hands on some PCs that are not so old as to be useless.

Unfortunately once they go into the recycle centre any idea of re-use is gone out the window!

IMO there should be a 'pre' stage to those centres, from where useful stuff can be taken for re-use, rather than destroyed.

Couldn't agree more! Always loads of computers at my local recycling centre. Asked the attendant if I could take any or even scavenge for parts.....definite NO :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

This part is taken care by center workers or their relatives, mainly people from east/southeast Europe side. After further inspection, most of that stuff is either returned to center or goes to Sunday/Boot market.

I have personally seen how mine old Dell Optiplex minute later was pulled out from container and disappeared in staff building. I don't mind, someones trash/someones treasure.

This part is taken care by center workers or their relatives, mainly people from east/southeast Europe side. After further inspection, most of that stuff is either returned to center or goes to Sunday/Boot market.

I have personally seen how mine old Dell Optiplex minute later was pulled out from container and disappeared in staff building. I don't mind, someones trash/someones treasure.

No doubt some do such things, and if found to be doing so are moved on as it is not at all allowed.

None of which of course considers the point I was making .... that ordinary joes who do not work in such places have no opportunity to reuse gear that is perfectly serviceable.

It is a really wasteful way to organise things.

• Advertisement

FanadMan wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more! Always loads of computers at my local recycling centre. Asked the attendant if I could take any or even scavenge for parts.....definite NO :(

I do not see what the problem is really.
    If they allowed it .... maybe to a limited degree ..... then they know for sure they will get the older gear that something taken for reuse replaces.

They would be at no loss in the long term.

From what I have read, other jurisdictions do things differently, and people have more opportunity to reuse before items get scrapped and recycled.

No doubt some do such things, and if found to be doing so are moved on as it is not at all allowed.

None of which of course considers the point I was making .... that ordinary joes who do not work in such places have no opportunity to reuse gear that is perfectly serviceable.

It is a really wasteful way to organise things.
    Do agree on this point, however, having place like this would incur management cost, and it would become business as it has self sustain or +

If they allowed it .... maybe to a limited degree ..... then they know for sure they will get the older gear that something taken for reuse replaces.
    What degree? Who puts measures? Who ensure public safety? And so on ...
    Cost and responsibility involved - no one wants to take it on board

To summarize, i 100% agree with idea, but its unfortunately not gonna happen otherwise it already would have.

Its probably thread on its own - waste(any) management/recycling in this country

In Denmark, you buy bottle of beer, vine or soft and you pay for drink(50%) and for bottle(50%). It makes you to bring that bottle(glass or plastic) back to store(infrastructure is provided in almost all shops) to get your money back or exchange.
    Even some East Europe countries have implemented this in past 5-10 years.
    NO BOTTLES ANYWHERE
    Look around our streets/roads....

• Advertisement

Its probably thread on its own - waste(any) management/recycling in this country

In Denmark, you buy bottle of beer, vine or soft and you pay for drink(50%) and for bottle(50%). It makes you to bring that bottle(glass or plastic) back to store(infrastructure is provided in almost all shops) to get your money back or exchange.
    Even some East Europe countries have implemented this in past 5-10 years.
    NO BOTTLES ANYWHERE
    Look around our streets/roads....

We used to have a similar system here too, but it has long since been dispensed with ......

We used to have a similar system here too, but it has long since been dispensed with ......
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

They would be at no loss in the long term.

From what I have read, other jurisdictions do things differently, and people have more opportunity to reuse before items get scrapped and recycled.

Don't know about the other centres in Donegal but Milford is drop off only. Absolutely no removal.

Thing is, a lot of my repair work is from older people. They don't want to buy a whole new computer system or laptop. I try to keep the prices down as much as possible. If new is expensive then I suggest second hand. And if I have old stuff on hand then the price is even lower. To me, a 100Mb laptop drive or DDR2 RAM means keeping someones computer alive for a few more years.

FanadMan wrote: »
    Don't know about the other centres in Donegal but Milford is drop off only. Absolutely no removal.

It is the same country wide, unfortunately (unless you know someone I guess :))

Thing is, a lot of my repair work is from older people. They don't want to buy a whole new computer system or laptop. I try to keep the prices down as much as possible. If new is expensive then I suggest second hand. And if I have old stuff on hand then the price is even lower. To me, a 100Mb laptop drive or DDR2 RAM means keeping someones computer alive for a few more years.

I do similar maintenance here ...... much less these last couple of years for some reason.

I also see a lot of scope for use of working hardware that is less than modern ..... especially with a lightweight OS on board. I use a Linux distro for the purpose in the vast majority of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,731 ✭✭✭Worztron

GNU/Linux aka Linux would give a new life to those old machines. :) 🐧

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement