Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-apply for a job that I turned down previously

Options
  • 13-08-2019 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi,

I'd appreciate some advice. I applied for a role in a semi-state body a few months back. I was offered the role. After a lot of deliberation, I turned it down. I decided not to take it as it would require a slightly longer commute and it was more of a lateral move, rather than a promotion. However, I am miserable in my current role, I feel I have progressed as far as I can and there is limited opportunities promotion. Part of me is afraid to leave as I've worked here years and I know the ropes. There is a "bit of better the devil you know".... I am tempted to reapply for the position I turned down. It was readvertised recently. Would I be out of line doing this? I'd welcome any feedback.....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

It all depends on how you explained yourself when you turned it down.

If you mentioned the commute and lateral move as justification, then I would not consider you again for the same position, as the same reasons are still in play and I am very likely to lose you as soon as what you see as a better opportunity comes up.

If on the other hand you provided a reason which you could now reasonably and logically argue against, then you may have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I wouldn't re-apply for it -- I would ring them and speak to the person who offered you the job before, and tell them you want it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I wouldn't re-apply for it -- I would ring them and speak to the person who offered you the job before, and tell them you want it now.

As above , we took someone on who came back to us

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

Thanks for the advice folks. I'm still considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A public body does not have the flexibility to do side deals. The can employ you when you are successful in a competition.

They tend not to hold grudges.

Come up with a good story about why you couldn't take the post last time - family issue or commute issue or whatever, then apply again

• Advertisement

A public body does not have the flexibility to do side deals. The can employ you when you are successful in a competition.

Come up with a good story about why you couldn't take the post last time - family issue or commute issue or whatever, then apply again

You're being naive. Semi-state bodies are full of nepotism and favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I would imagine that boat has likely sailed, i.e. the OP would most likely have already provided a reason when turning down the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I was just coming to post this.
    Contact whomever the POC was for your original application and sound them out and let them know you feel turning down the offer was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Possibly, but less likely at the recruitment stage.

Really? Do you have any examples of semi-state bodies that have recruited people outside of announced competitions in recent years?

• Advertisement

Really? Do you have any examples of semi-state bodies that have recruited people outside of announced competitions in recent years?

I know people working in semi-state bodies, (and state bodies too).

They have to advertise the roles, but they still get to choose who they hire.

I'm sure you've heard of this before. You ear mark someone for the role, make it seem like you're being fair by advertising the role, but the person you earmarked gets the job.

I know people working in semi-state bodies, (and state bodies too).

They have to advertise the roles, but they still get to choose who they hire.

I'm sure you've heard of this before. You ear mark someone for the role, make it seem like you're being fair by advertising the role, but the person you earmarked gets the job.

And which semi-state bodies / roles has this happened with in recent years?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Letrim co co rejected my CV a number of years ago citing I did not met a training requirement. Rang for feedback and pointed out where it was covered in black and white and was told oh sorry do you want to attend for interview after all our mistake.

Said no as I knew the internal candidate was getting the job( didn't know this before I applied but got to know through someone working in a different co co) No external candidate finished in the top five, they were all in the CS already and not one had the level of education as the external candidates but all the internal needs was an interest in the area.

I'm not naming names.

Letrim co co rejected my CV a number of years ago citing I did not met a training requirement. Rang for feedback and pointed out where it was covered in black and white and was told oh sorry do you want to attend for interview after all our mistake.

Said no as I knew the internal candidate was getting the job( didn't know this before I applied but got to know through someone working in a different co co) No external candidate finished in the top five, they were all in the CS already and not one had the level of education as the external candidates but all the internal needs was an interest in the area.

1) Leitrim Co Co is not a semi-state body. It is a state body. A semi-state body is a body with commercial activities, like ESB or RTE or similar.

2) Leitrim Co Co staff are not 'CS'. They are public servants, not civil servants. Civil servants work in government departments and a small number of other bodies, like Revenue.
    3) It sounds like you don't understand how specified requirements work in public sector recruitment. You don't get extra credits for having education over and above the specified requirements. It is a yes/no question - either you meet the educational requirements or you don't. Your point about external staff having higher education is irrelevant, unless such education is specified in the job spec as desirable. That's how open, transparent recruitment works - the requirements are set out in the job spec, and that's what you get marked on. The same requirements apply to everyone, internal and external.

4) Last time I was on a local authority interview panel, there was no-one from the authority in question on the panel. There was two others from different authorities, and me as an outsider. So there's no way the job could have been designated for anyone in that authority.

So again, I'm interested to hear if anyone has examples relevant to this case - of a semi-state body that has been dishing out jobs without going through valid recruitment processes.

I'm not naming names.
    Why not? If you know this is happening and you're not flagging it up, you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Why not? If you know this is happening and you're not flagging it up, you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

You want me to potentially get my friends in trouble because you, someone I don't know at all, wants me to?

Come on now...

You want me to potentially get my friends in trouble because you, someone I don't know at all, wants me to?

Come on now...
    If your friend did nothing wrong, they're not going to get into trouble. This isn't about helping me. This is about

1) Proving that the problem actually exists, and isn't just one of those urban myths that 'everyone knows' but no-one has specifics, and
    2) Stopping it happening in future.

If you're not prepared to take action on both of those, you've really no credibility to be moaning about the issue in the first place.

What do you mean I have no credibility to be moaning about this issue?

Where exactly am I moaning?

And what do you mean "credibility"? This is an entertainment website where people's opinions mean absolutely nothing. Holy **** dude, stop taking this so seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

And what do you mean "credibility"? This is an entertainment website where people's opinions mean absolutely nothing. Holy **** dude, stop taking this so seriously.

it is not an entertainment website. it is a place where people come to get real advice on work issues.
    Can you name the employer who is ignoring good recruitment practice.
    Retired now, but I would have sat on interview panels as an external interviewer for state/semi state bodies. It has never happened to me where the best performing candidate was not offered the position.

Tell us where it is happening. Report it to the relevant union(s) as they will be very interested.

• Advertisement

What do you mean I have no credibility to be moaning about this issue?

Where exactly am I moaning?

You're moaning about it here.

This is 'work problems' forum. It's not 'let's have a laugh at people'. There is no entertainment here. Casting aspersions about the ethics and professionalism of an entire sector is not a bit of a laugh. But I'm not really surprised that you've no evidence to support your claim.

I would hardly call that moaning.

I don't care you want evidence. I'm not telling you where my friends work, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Augme

They aren't going to do a deal for a complete randomer though. Especially one who turned it down previously.

Advertisement