Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACL Injury

• 13-08-2019 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Has anyone here on boards torn their ACL(or similar knee injuries). Torn mine about 4 weeks ago and now have the operation on Monday, I have been told to expect anywhere between 6-9 months for a full recovery. But I am wondering has anyone tried to get out on the golf course during their recovery period. Not keen on the idea of not being able to get out on the course for potentially 9 months!!! :(:(:(

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I tore the meniscus in my knee a few years ago, while not the same injury, i most definitely could not play golf.
    I couldn't even chance bending my knee because after it happened, I knelt down and the torn bit of cartilage got caught between my femur and tibula when i stood up........I have never experienced pain like it before in my life!!!

I wouldnt even dream of putting a ball in me living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Has anyone here on boards torn their ACL(or similar knee injuries). Torn mine about 4 weeks ago and now have the operation on Monday, I have been told to expect anywhere between 6-9 months for a full recovery. But I am wondering has anyone tried to get out on the golf course during their recovery period. Not keen on the idea of not being able to get out on the course for potentially 9 months!!! :(:(:(

I always thought 9 months was the recovery period for a full return to football/hurling type sport.

I would imagine you could get back quicker to golf. Get yourself a good physio either way.

In a golf swing, one knee takes more force than the other i.e. left knee for right handed golfer. That could help your case if it's the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dondonal

You should be able to start practising again (wedges, half shots) around the 3-4 month mark. Realistically you're probably looking at 6 month minimum before you can hit full shots again. All depends on how the rehab is going though - make sure you work with a good physio from day 1 to guide you through the rehab process!

Which knee is it? If it's your lead leg (left leg for a right handed golfer), then it'll take a bit longer to get back playing due to the rotational forces you're putting through that knee during the downswing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

I did my ACL 10 years ago approx. I was back playing 9 holes after 5 months full golf after 6 months.. It was stiff and sore when playing in the cold for 18 months after the operation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Just thinking there OP, your doctor and physiotherapist are the only ones who can tell you when you can go back playing, listen to their advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Thanks for the feedback lads. Your probably right, ill just talk to my physio and hopefully I make good progress in my rehab...only good news its my right knee and I am a right sided golfer so not a much "action" through that knee...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Just thinking there OP, your doctor and physiotherapist are the only ones who can tell you when you can go back playing, listen to their advice.

That's the only advice worth taking OP.

I've seen lads rush back and end up on the operating table again. Have a friend who has more operations than I can remember. You'll be a long time playing golf if you look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Im in month 9 of my recovery from ACL surgery and was back playing golf after 6 months. As another poster mentioned, the cold gets at it a bit but nothing major.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I would guess it highly depends on which leg it is as the forces & movements involved are very different, your back knee for example doesnt really twist during the swing as the whole foot/leg rotates, compares to the front knee where the foot stays planted and the twist is throughout the leg including the knee.

But yeah, follow the advice of your physio.

• Advertisement
Advertisement