Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a let down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

bladespin wrote: »
    A great man once said; there's no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothes!

That said, it's been a bit wet but I though it was on a par with any typical Irish summer really.

Rain jackets dont make the clouds go away and dont give you happy blue skies or allow you to enjoy lying around a beach or park. The weather is just awful most of the time in Ireland and some of us need to get it all off our chests. I do realise lots of you love this miserable dreary climate and think anything over 15c is stuffy and intolerable however. I think have been spoiled from living abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

We have lots of weather that's not great. It's not awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

Rain jackets dont make the clouds go away and dont give you happy blue skies or allow you to enjoy lying around a beach or park. The weather is just awful most of the time in Ireland and some of us need to get it all off our chests. I do realise lots of you love this miserable dreary climate and think anything over 15c is stuffy and intolerable however. I think have been spoiled from living abroad.

Meh, personally I hate it, riding motorbikes in the rain isn't a lot of fun but if you want blue skies and beaches you're in the wrong place :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

daedal wrote: »
    So many planned days out and camping trips cancelled this year because of the ****e weather. I patiently wait through the misery of an Irish winter and spring for a decent summer (based on last years good fortune). But this year NOTHING, i could count the days of sunshine on my hands. What a ****ing let down. I think there should be a grant awarded to those who pay tax in this **** hole that if there is less than 20 days of sunshine during the summer months they will be awarded €500 to go on a holiday to make up for it.

I’d reccomend Ryanair or aer lingus ....one way ticket

bladespin wrote: »
    Meh, personally I hate it, riding motorbikes in the rain isn't a lot of fun but if you want blue skies and beaches you're in the wrong place :confused:

I know, but I'm stuck here for the time being. So excuse me if I throw tantrums about how f*cking awful the climate here is!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

It's a Day now for a t-shirt and shorts and a pair of Birkenstocks, and a walk down a long beach.

Beautiful soft day here in Clare, the mist dripping from my brow, running down my forehead, beads of mist in my hair and beard...

Just myself and the lapping of the wave's, heavy mist and low clouds oh it's hardship to some bit elixer to myself.....

Hopefully the weekend will be similar...

nthclare wrote: »
    It's a Day now for a t-shirt and shorts and a pair of Birkenstocks, and a walk down a long beach.

Beautiful soft day here in Clare, the mist dripping from my brow, running down my forehead, beads of mist in my hair and beard...

Just myself and the lapping of the wave's, heavy mist and low clouds oh it's hardship to some bit elixer to myself.....

Have you and Graces7 been comparing notes or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

As they both tippled the fresh morning mist upon the skyscraping clouds, a thought amongst those who dare to wonder west

I haven't a breeze what they do be posting half the time and i have a decent vocab

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LoxontheRox

I hate this weather...the mist is rotten, cant walk from house to car and you get drenched! Just looking towards Caher valley (in north clare) and the mist is getting thicker 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

We live under a permanent blanket of cloud with a few odd good days here and there.
    June 21st - the best noctilucent display ever seen .... not a single post in the noctilucent 2019 thread about this historic display, I wonder why?
    March 2015, an almost total solar eclipse in Ireland, anyone see it?
    Aurora displays, meteor showers .. we miss them. Our climate is an ordeal.
    cloud, cloud and more cloud ..

http://http://www.severe-weather.eu/recent-events/historic-outbreak-of-noctilucent-clouds-over-europe-june-21st-2019/
    No extremes of anything. I would hate to live in a Mediterranean climate.
    Only extremes of humidity and dampness, I find it more uncomfortable here at 18c and cloudy than 28c and sunny in a Mediterranean climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Give me this rather than burnt grass and hose pipe bans

We live under a permanent blanket of cloud with a few odd good days here and there.
    June 21st - the best noctilucent display ever seen .... not a single post in the noctilucent 2019 thread about this historic display, I wonder why?
    March 2015, an almost total solar eclipse in Ireland, anyone see it?
    Aurora displays, meteor showers .. we miss them. Our climate is an ordeal.
    cloud, cloud and more cloud ..

http://http://www.severe-weather.eu/recent-events/historic-outbreak-of-noctilucent-clouds-over-europe-june-21st-2019/

Only extremes of humidity and dampness, I find it more uncomfortable here at 18c and cloudy than 28c and sunny in a Mediterranean climate.

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

It's a typical enough Irish summer. What is really striking is just how apt the cliche the 'the misty isle' is - you wouldn't need all the fingers of one hand to count the number of clear blue cloudless skies we've had this summer, in the SE anyway. In truth, you mightn't be able to count any at all. Even on the good days, there's been cloud about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The one time that had perfect conditions for an eclipse I saw was the supermoon lunar eclipse of 27/28 September 2015 when it was crystal clear skies but that was a 1 in million chance. Of course, I didn't have a camera back then to capture it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Give over. We live next to an imposing ocean; one of the commonalities of a maritime climate is an abundance of rainfall. We haven't fared badly at all this summer, July in particular. I went down to west Kerry (one of the wettest parts of Ireland) on Sunday, returning this evening. Hardly a drop fell, and the sun unveiled the mountains in impressive detail. Better than expected, and I thanked my lucky stars. Next time it could be a washout. Take the good with the bad, you're not entitled to benign weather on this island.

Dunno what part of west Kerry you were in. I was there all week, came up on Monday morning, it pee’d apart from one day. Sunday started off nice but bucketed in the afternoon and Monday morning started with torrential downpours...

I only come across Graces7 now and again here, usually durning the winter, when the snow bunnies are out...

But I don't mind hardship, because I'm well able to climatise to the weather...

I work outside most of the time, so I know what an overdose of vitamin d is like.

Too much sunlight makes me tired, burnt out and unable to enjoy the evening time....

So I welcome the odd week of grey skies and dampness...

But I can see why people who are stuck inside all day, come outside of work and they are welcomed by the pissing rain and dull clouds.
    And those conditions stress them out more, nothing worse than being stuck inside for a weekend....

It's easier for me to say it's ok etc, but drying out three kid's, and buying appropriate comfortable goretex wet gear for a family can be expensive.
    Then all 3 kid's aren't going to want to wear it.
    Then if you've invested in buying good rain gear, and it's not worn it's a waste of money...
    Kid's also grow much quicker....so it's not cheap kitting out a family for wet weather...

I only come across Graces7 now and again here, usually durning the winter, when the snow bunnies are out...

But I don't mind hardship, because I'm well able to climatise to the weather...

I work outside most of the time, so I know what an overdose of vitamin d is like.

Too much sunlight makes me tired, burnt out and unable to enjoy the evening time....

So I welcome the odd week of grey skies and dampness...

But I can see why people who are stuck inside all day, come outside of work and they are welcomed by the pissing rain and dull clouds.
    And those conditions stress them out more, nothing worse than being stuck inside for a weekend....

It's easier for me to say it's ok etc, but drying out three kid's, and buying appropriate comfortable goretex wet gear for a family can be expensive.
    Then all 3 kid's aren't going to want to wear it.
    Then if you've invested in buying good rain gear, and it's not worn it's a waste of money...
    Kid's also grow much quicker....so it's not cheap kitting out a family for wet weather...

It was your style of posting is what he was commenting on

Really?
    Yes. That 'potato blight' weather is torture.

Yes. That 'potato blight' weather is torture.

Not sure how you'd find 28c more comfortable than 18c. Personally 18c is the threshold between warm and cool, anything under i find cool.

Hopefully the weekend will be similar...[]

I hate this weather...the mist is rotten, cant walk from house to car and you get drenched! Just looking towards Caher valley (in north clare) and the mist is getting thicker 😕[The Caher Valley is quite a damp Spot.
    Are you looking From the islands, Galway or Fanore ?]

• Advertisement

Hopefully the weekend will be similar...[]

I hate this weather...the mist is rotten, cant walk from house to car and you get drenched! Just looking towards Caher valley (in north clare) and the mist is getting thicker 😕[The Caher Valley is quite a damp Spot.
    Are you looking From the islands, Galway or Fanore ?]

Sorry I've a new format of board's and I'm finding it hard to respond without including the whole thing ending up in grey boxes etc

Not sure how you'd find 28c more comfortable than 18c. Personally 18c is the threshold between warm and cool, anything under i find cool.
    I said 'potato blight' weather, the sort of day when you walk just a few meters with the dog and you are drenched in sweat!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I think it's ideal to plan for all types of weather and just be happy with it. I mean, don't let rain put you off some of your plans, if possible. I planned on doing an easy solo hike one morning. It was raining but I went anyway. I had just as much fun.

This summer wasn't great. I mean the hot/sunny days were just a horrible sticky, discomforting humid mess. I much prefer Autumn/Winter. The weather is more consistent. I know I'll always need a jacket. I rarely break in to a awkward sweat when it's cool. I can keep warm with wearing layers. Most of my nice clothes are geared towards keeping me warm. I didn't invest in summer clothes this summer because it's too unpredictable. I could go out for the day in a t-shirt but then it might rain later. What's the point?

I'm done with Irish summers. Sunny days don't excite me like they did when I was younger. It's more hassle than not.

That said, if I'm in a hot country and the weather is consistent, I'll enjoy the sun. I still like the sun, I just hate the inconsistency of an Irish summer.

I also get happy that if it's raining and It's more ideal to stay in, I've got a bunch of indoor-centric hobbies as much as outdoor ones.

Is there some kind of widespread perspiration problem in ireland? Its amazing how many if you talk about being sweaty messes if the weather gets to even the high teens!

Is there some kind of widespread perspiration problem in ireland? Its amazing how many if you talk about being sweaty messes if the weather gets to even the high teens!

I chortled

Probably walking around with their arran jumpers on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

https://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/how-we-are-getting-fatter-62pc-of-population-overweight-37697992.html

that probably has something to do with it

More to do with humidity up to 100% rather than the actual temperature.

Our 'winters' are so mild I wouldn't even wear an Arran geansai in the middle of January Stevie! :D

Our 'winters' are so mild I wouldn't even wear an Arran geansai in the middle of January Stevie! :D

Yeah last winter any time I wore a scarf I'd have to take it off after 5 minutes as I'd be too hot. At least we get mild winters but I'd endure some freezing cold and snow if it meant we got a decent summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I find that some humidity is OK when the temperature's not too high as it makes it feel warmer. I don't tend to sweat too much.

Advertisement