Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a let down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭patmahe

I was like the OP at one stage, but I think the only approach is to learn to dance in the rain, if you are waiting for the weather in Ireland to play ball you'll die waiting. And when it really gets too much, book a cheap flight to Spain or somewhere and get out for a little while.

I think this year we've had a lot of days where we've had all four seasons in one day which makes it difficult to plan. I've taken to cycling a lot this year and I just keep a rain mac in the saddle bag in case it gets very bad and get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

patmahe wrote: »
    I was like the OP at one stage, but I think the only approach is to learn to dance in the rain, if you are waiting for the weather in Ireland to play ball you'll die waiting. And when it really gets too much, book a cheap flight to Spain or somewhere and get out for a little while.

I think this year we've had a lot of days where we've had all four seasons in one day which makes it difficult to plan. I've taken to cycling a lot this year and I just keep a rain mac in the saddle bag in case it gets very bad and get on with it.
    This ! We mind grandchildren and are delighted if its dry , sun is a bonus but if its dry we pack jackets or cardigans and head out to parks or beach etc . We had some great days out this year and to be honest I am happier when I don’t have to worry about sunburn . We watch weather and plan accordingly and it works

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Theres an item on the News at One right now about vitamin D deficiency in Ireland ... :D

From a freckly red head.... It was glorious and roll on the winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

From a freckly red head.... It was glorious and roll on the winter!

From a dark sun lover it’s been ****e and roll on next trip out of here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

nthclare wrote: »
    I only come across Graces7 now and again here, usually durning the winter, when the snow bunnies are out...

But I don't mind hardship, because I'm well able to climatise to the weather...

I work outside most of the time, so I know what an overdose of vitamin d is like.

What? Overdose of vitamin d in Ireland?
    Nah.Just no. Ireland suffers from a lack of Vitamin d. Those are the facts as said by medical professionals.
    BTW I also work outside, like a lot of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Yeah, honestly I'm miserable.

I thrive on late sunny evenings and warm clear nights.

I know summers tend to go like this in Ireland but I waited all winter miserable for summer to arrive so I could get out and enjoy myself.

We had a couple of weeks of niceness back around May but I'm still waiting for summer to arrive really.
    So far most of my plans have gone out the window and I haven't been able to do the things I had hoped.

I'm praying that we'll get a nice late august/september.

The thoughts of facing back into 6+ months waiting for summer 2020 to arrive is just making me depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Was a fab summer

Dunno What the fuss is about !!

Was a fab summer

Dunno What the fuss is about !!

Your dead right the rain and wind tonight is fabulous. Really enjoyed being dressed like I would in November trying to watch a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Your dead right the rain and wind tonight is fabulous. Really enjoyed being dressed like I would in November trying to watch a game.

It's quite mild tonight, at least here in Glasnevin. I've just been outside in tee-shirt and shorts. It's partly cloudy and breezy. It's currently 16.0C. Certainly too warm to be dressed like you would in November.

• Advertisement

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    It's quite mild tonight, at least here in Glasnevin. I've just been outside in tee-shirt and shorts. It's partly cloudy and breezy. It's currently 16.0C. Certainly too warm to be dressed like you would in November.

Not doubting you for a minute. I’m not in Glasnevin though and believe me if you were standing in the wind and rain here for an hour you wouldn’t be wearing shorts and T-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Depends so much where you are this year . I enjoyed this summer and today was warm and pleasant if a bit cloudy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Depends so much where you are this year . I enjoyed this summer and today was warm and pleasant if a bit cloudy

Today was strong gales with frequent showers. I was out in it for a few hours and it was painful for August weather.
    South East inland, low lying.
    It's been like this pretty consistently for 2 months it seems.
    Strong gusts, wind, damp overcast with high humidity.
    The last few mornings I've had to put the heat on in my car and wear jackets.

Great for people who are allergic to the sun and nice weather but for people like myself it makes me feel like shīt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Cork city has been a damp miserable area for the whole year besides the odd day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Today was strong gales with frequent showers. I was out in it for a few hours and it was painful for August weather.

Great for people who are allergic to the sun and nice weather but for people like myself it makes me feel like shīt.

You're where I go most weekends, last year I had glorious evenings outdoors, lovely sunsets too.

Nail on head for these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Yeah, honestly I'm miserable.

I thrive on late sunny evenings and warm clear nights.

I know summers tend to go like this in Ireland but I waited all winter miserable for summer to arrive so I could get out and enjoy myself.

We had a couple of weeks of niceness back around May but I'm still waiting for summer to arrive really.
    So far most of my plans have gone out the window and I haven't been able to do the things I had hoped.

I'm praying that we'll get a nice late august/september.

The thoughts of facing back into 6+ months waiting for summer 2020 to arrive is just making me depressed.

I don’t find this summer terrible. A terrible summer for me was 2015, 2012 and a lot of the 00’s. I was down on Achill last Tuesday and it was such a lovely day down there. There was no wind, which is a rarity. The sea was as calm as I had seen it and the water was warm. Occasionally some mist blew in but besides that it was great. Maybe it’s just about getting out into the elements, put on a raincoat/wetsuit and get stuck in. It’s worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Carol25 wrote: »
    I don’t find this summer terrible. A terrible summer for me was 2015, 2012 and a lot of the 00’s. I was down on Achill last Tuesday and it was such a lovely day down there. There was no wind, which is a rarity. The sea was as calm as I had seen it and the water was warm. Occasionally some mist blew in but besides that it was great. Maybe it’s just about getting out into the elements, put on a raincoat/wetsuit and get stuck in. It’s worth it.

Blessings and thanks for this reality. Ireland has a benevolent climate. My faith family in India are coping with floods... We are so lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

So things are about to go from bad to worse it seems, this coming weekend will be fairly dire for mid-August, more like a windy autumn spell, but then hints that the pattern is slowly going to improve towards the end of next week and into late August, so perhaps a better spell coming along eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

I think peoples opinions are being negatively impacted by what they are being told rather that the actuality. It has been a normal pleasant enough summer but the dire weather warnings every other day have convinced us otherwise.
    So many events have been cancelled because of weather warnings that were totally unnecessary.
    Ride Dingle cancelled because of wind warning that was light gusts on the day, festival in England last week that affected tens of thousands again because of a wind warning to name but too.
    We have become conditioned to think of normal weather as extreme weather.
    So it has only been a bad summer if you take your evidence from the omnipresent weather warnings and not the evidence of your senses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

As others have said, it's a real geographical split this year. From a Dublin perspective we've had a pretty lovely couple of months. Nothing spectacular in terms of temperature, but sunny and dry.

August, as ever, has marked a turn for the rainy. I suspect people are always more perceptive about the weather around their birthday, and mine is right in the middle of August, so I know I've had plenty of years of floods and washed out parties. Only to usually get reprieve in September before Autumn.

Regardless, its not worth complaining about - we've had vaguely this same climate for most of our lifetimes, and we still get the odd 2018 to warm the spirits. Sadly our weather is only likely to get more unpredictable and dreary with climate change.

But if you're wishing for Ireland to be a hot summer country, you'd have to take the increasing prevalence of destructive wildfires, stronger hurricanes, or killer droughts that those kinds of places are enduring more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A lovely couple of months? Wasnt it one of the worst Junes in years and august has been terrible so far? Im also in dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

from a cork city perspective we have had no summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

A lovely couple of months? Wasnt it one of the worst Junes in years and august has been terrible so far? Im also in dublin.

June in Dublin was absolutely atrocious right up until near the end but towards the end of June the temperatures picked up and haven't gone back down. July was an excellent month in Dublin (unfortunately for those like me who don't enjoy the heat).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Here in the midlands it has been a washout , yes it has been warm but definitely dry days are far and few between. Torrential Showers all this week which left spot flooding in my area.
    It’s seems certain parts of the country faired better than others but here it has been very wet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I thought this was a lovely summer. June and July anyway.
    I don't have the data but it seemed drier than normal. I never really got wet and I never had to mow a wet lawn.
    I don't really care whether its cloudy or blue skies once it's not lashing rain.

Can any of the experts comment on the rainfall in summer? Below average?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Summer so far has been a mixture of crap and lovely. First 3 weeks of June were a write-off with temperatures that wouldn't look out of place in early March and plenty of rain. For the first summer ever, we used up all our coal and log reserves (normally used end of September) as we were lighting fires up to the 3rd week of June.

Things improved after the heatwave failure and temperatures generally remained around 20C or slightly above all the way through July and into the first week of August, so about 5 weeks of generally nice conditions for much of Leinster and Dublin.

The past week has been fairly poor again, but nowhere nearly as cold as June. Looks mixed for much of the remainder of August, but we may get a few dry and settled days before the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I live 5k from the coast in east central wicklow and feel it's been a decent summer- well last week of June until the end of the first week in August anyway. I think the Wicklow mountains protect us a lot here. Very thankful for them reading some reports from around the country on here!!

Biblical rain in the midlands the last half hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

mild and mostly sunny, temperature of 21C.

Some big showers missing us by only 2 or 3 miles.

Advertisement