Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a let down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

This supposedly atrocious weekend dumped its rain here in the early hours of this morning. There has been cloud and sun since and the temperature has been up to 21.7C. It's currently 21.0C. So it's another not bad day in Dublin.

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    This supposedly atrocious weekend dumped its rain here in the early hours of this morning. There has been cloud and sun since and the temperature has been up to 21.7C. It's currently 21.0C. So it's another not bad day in Dublin.

There was 3.8mm of rain recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

daedal wrote: »
    So many planned days out and camping trips cancelled this year because of the ****e weather. I patiently wait through the misery of an Irish winter and spring for a decent summer (based on last years good fortune). But this year NOTHING, i could count the days of sunshine on my hands. What a ****ing let down. I think there should be a grant awarded to those who pay tax in this **** hole that if there is less than 20 days of sunshine during the summer months they will be awarded €500 to go on a holiday to make up for it.

Here in Kilkenny anyhow this was a great summer up until a few weeks ago...temps well above average for July and temps above normal. Then August hit abs back to this broken showery pattern of schlop! August seems to be jinxed these summers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Was it only Dublin that had the terrible June? People keep saying it was a good summer for a couple of months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

road_high wrote: »
    Here in Kilkenny anyhow this was a great summer up until a few weeks ago...temps well above average for July and temps above normal. Then August hit abs back to this broken showery pattern of schlop! August seems to be jinxed these summers

August so far is not great, but it's better than many other Augusts I've experienced We had a warm and dry start to the month and if we manage to get the final week of August warm and dry, then it would be a fairly decent month by Irish summer standards. The next week is looking fairly cool tho, starting from tomorrow.

As a whole this summer has been disappointing in terms of high temperatures or heat. Most of Europe including the UK broke temperature records over the past month. Sadly Ireland did not get the heat, so while we have had a few decent warm weeks, we haven't really had any hot weather with temperatures in most parts of the country not exceeding 24 or 25C at any stage.

• Advertisement

We've had more heavy rain just now. An extra 2.8mm recorded. But now the sun's back. The temperature's fallen back to 18.5C in the rain.
    I recorded 25C and 26C briefly in July. The highest so far in August has been 24C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Was it only Dublin that had the terrible June? People keep saying it was a good summer for a couple of months.

The West and the South had a better June than Dublin and much of Leinster. June was particularly cold in Dublin with plenty of rain and onshore winds keeping temperatures generally in the 11 to 15C range for much of the month. The heatwave completely failed in Dublin with mid teens, compared to north of 22C in the west and south. Once this cleared, the final few days of June warmed up in Leinster and remained good all the way till the end of first week of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

A lovely couple of months? Wasnt it one of the worst Junes in years and august has been terrible so far? Im also in dublin.

Part of the end of June, all of July, and a little bit of the start of August. Does me grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Mobhi1 wrote: »

It's been an awful day here in D14

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

It's been an awful day here in D14

For maybe an hour? Aside form a shower this afternoon, pretty much fine day (and warm) in D16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

daedal wrote: »
    So many planned days out and camping trips cancelled this year because of the ****e weather. I patiently wait through the misery of an Irish winter and spring for a decent summer (based on last years good fortune). But this year NOTHING, i could count the days of sunshine on my hands. What a ****ing let down. I think there should be a grant awarded to those who pay tax in this **** hole that if there is less than 20 days of sunshine during the summer months they will be awarded €500 to go on a holiday to make up for it.

It was the gentlest winter and spring I can remember, August has been a disaster but may, the second half of June, and July were better than average in the west, overall not a bad year at all

compsys wrote: »
    As I keep saying how people feel about this year’s summer will depend largely on where they are.

The East has been far drier, warmer and sunnier than the West. So although it still hasn’t been a great summer it’s been bearable.

Also, people talking about how sh*t Ireland is because of the weather need to remember that HOLIDAYING in places like Spain, Portugal and Greece etc is far different than LIVING there.

Life is tough enough in Spain and Greece on Spanish or Greek wages etc. The problems that exist here also largely exist there and after a while no amount of sun makes up for it.

I'm originally from the east, the west this year got drier weather for much of the year, more rain here in the past two weeks however than in the previous nine months and that's no exaggeration

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    It was the gentlest winter and spring I can remember, August has been a disaster but may, the second half of June, and July were better than average in the west, overall not a bad year at all

June was horrid here in Leitrim. July was average at best. August, a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

August in Galway has been an absolute disaster so far, nothing but wind, rain and humidity. You put on a rainjacket only to end up boiling in it and dripping in sweat. The worst kind of weather. My garden has gone to hell, everything blown flat, flowers ruined. Had some nice weather in April and May, June wasn't too bad. Fairly forgettable summer overall.

Roll on crisp, dry and chilly October days where I can wear wooly jumpers and light the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It seems that all Augusts this decade has been a let down compared to June and July and in some years even September. But there are signals of hot air coming up from the continent late next week and over next weekend but signals are mixed on how settled the weather will be. There would be potential for heavy thunderstorms but there could be pleasant sunshine with temperatures up in the high twenties.

OldRio wrote: »
    June was horrid here in Leitrim. July was average at best. August, a disaster.

First half of June was bad ( not terrible), July good, wettest August since 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Here in Meath the wind was unreal today, tried to sweep driveway but even washing the car was a chore. Leaves and seeds blew onto the paint work. Heavy showers meant stop- start many times. Poxy and what I'd call an average summer.

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Here in Meath the wind was unreal today, tried to sweep driveway but even washing the car was a chore. Leaves and seeds blew onto the paint work. Heavy showers meant stop- start many times. Poxy and what I'd call an average summer.

you must be north Meath? it would be prone to more showers from the north-west than the south would be? Bone dry day here today at Dunshaughlin, we somehow missed all the showers and enjoyed a day of sunshine despite the wind. Tomorrow looks wetter tho with rain generally everywhere at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

@Gonzo, Navan, it gets any wind and rain going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

This is fairly normal Irish summer weather. Dunno why people complain about the Irish weather, we're geographically located in the ideal location for weather. Dangerous weather is rare, we get plenty of rain, no dangerous temperatures... our climate is ideal. Whine all you want, it's not going to change much.

If you want better weather, move to the Canary Islands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

August has never been a Summer month in past 20 years bar one or two

Most times it gets windier and cooler than July with one or two days that are warm.

Its Autumn onset. The wind can be found in the name.

ye all need to move East!! I live very close to the beaches on the North East coast where its been a tremendous Summer. I think its a bit of a microclimate here..... being so close to the coast. August hasn't been great with lots of huge clouds and sudden showers but today I was swimming, under dark clouds, but it didn't rain and its very warm. We also got above average sunshine. Like someone else said it was probably nicer than last year ........with the very high temperatures and drought everywhere . My plants have loved this Summer!

You have to make the most of it. I hate darkness and suffer in the Winter a bit from lack of daylight, then again I love my wood burning stove. Every negative has a positive. I hiked a lot this Summer in Sligo, Donegal Leitrim and Antrim and got the most amazing weather and pictures to prove it. Maybe I just got lucky , I've certainly loved this Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Here in this part of South Laois I wouldn't rate this summer either as bad or good. It has been notably more humid, a little sunnier than normal and the rainfall distribution has been varied. Granted, I was away for last week's wash out - missing the thunder and lightning of last Thursday the 8th of August. To make up for it, I did catch the cold front in Spain which gave 3hrs of epic rain, thunder and lightning on Sunday night.

Overall this summer there has been a notable absence of what we'd class as "hot" conditions. My summer's max so far has been just 27c on June 27th.

There has been quite a frequent breeze this summer, but I put this down to a warm continent drawing in the cooler Atlantic airmass as the warm air rises there.

The highlights of this summer have been the 27c heat of June 27th followed by the vigorous thunderstorm of the morning of June 29th which gave frequent lightning and large hail - a rare combination here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Biblical rain in the midlands the last half hour.

Just 2.3mm from that in under fifteen minutes. A mere 90 minutes later and it was all evaporated.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Baseball72

pauldry wrote: »
    August has never been a Summer month in past 20 years bar one or two

Most times it gets windier and cooler than July with one or two days that are warm.

Its Autumn onset. The wind can be found in the name.

Wasn't August inserted into the calendar to commemorate Caesar Augustus - otherwise we would be straight from July into September and the onset of Autumn......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

Baseball72 wrote: »
    Wasn't August inserted into the calendar to commemorate Caesar Augustus - otherwise we would be straight from July into September and the onset of Autumn......

Youre right.

That explains it

However this Summer in Sligo has been strange

It hasnt been the worst Summer is the public outcry

The fact is weve had every weather even heat

This is what climate change will extremely bring ...not heat but extremes of everything

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Renaming a month after Augustus didn't change the timing of the months, I think the Romans had months with number names five and six that went to Julius and then Augustus Caesar but September was always in the position it turned out to have after that.

More to the point, August is quite a wet month normally, I see from average rainfalls that August is about 20% wetter than July in Ireland. It is also somewhat cloudier than July. The only thing that makes it a better candidate for summer than May is average temperature, otherwise May is probably more "summery" in feel especially with the long days at the latitude of Ireland. May wins on sunshine and lower rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Seasons change gradually. August is a late summer month. You would have elements of autumn setting in already by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    First half of June was bad ( not terrible), July good, wettest August since 2012

In your location perhaps. I actually put a fire down in the living room in early July. Co. Leitrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm still going by my prediction they the best weather we will have will be in late October early November. That's the summer in waiting for!

Advertisement