Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a let down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    First half of June was bad ( not terrible), July good, wettest August since 2012

You’re right, it wasn’t terrible.... it was atrocious. Three days of 12c or under as a max is really really bad even by Irish standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I thought is was a better than average Summer tbh. The mean temperature has been well up with soil temperatures constantly 2 to 3 degrees above. Growth has been very good too. The nights in particular were nearly always over 10C and quite often 14/15C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Saying that August is quite poor and remarkably follows a pattern of many poor August months over last 20 years or so. What's causing August to be a lacklustre month in recent years is one to ponder.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Saying that August is quite poor and remarkably follows a pattern of many poor August months over last 20 years or so. What's causing August to be a lacklustre month in recent years is one to ponder.....

:cool:
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    There has been a notable shift in August weather since 2006. After the very warm June and hot July in 2006, August completely deteriorated that year with a -NAO setting in. It was a significant change on July with much cooler and wetter conditions although these being more notable for other parts of western Europe as parts of Ireland didn't have it too bad. However, the main interest here is the fact that a -NAO set in which was the exception rather than the norm in Augusts from 1989 to 2005 (a period of several exceptional Augusts like 1990, 1995, 1997 and 2003). Whilst it's not just August that has seen an increase in -NAO since 2006 with many months since Summer 2007 from all seasons seeing -NAO, August has seen the most impacts from -NAO.

I did a little analysis recently on Twitter on comparing Augusts 1994-2005 to 2006-2018. I first did this using Central England Temperature (CET) max and CET min data. There was an interesting run of consecutive Augusts with a CET mean max at 20.0c or more from 1994 to 2005 but since, we have seen a reduction though improving somewhat again recently. CET mean min has remained rather stationary, not much change compared to the 90s/00s.

BtNrjS0.png

The contrast is greatly shown by reanalysis with Augusts in the 1994-2005 period tending to be anticyclonic or blocking over Scandinavia and favouring easterly winds. If we take 1995 out (the exceptional hot and dry August), the Scandi High signal increases a lot.

eAy70gS.pngxWUR5vu.png

Augusts in the period 2006-2018 have tended to be much more unsettled with little signal of the Scandi High from the previous period. Anomalous below average heights over top of the UK and Ireland with a bit of Greenland blocking too. No wonder why August has been poor!

M7gZhfU.png

Whether this is the result of low solar activity giving a higher risk of -NAO or Arctic amplification helping the blocking and it just happened to be occurring in August is unknown. Maybe a coincidence for all we know as some decades favour certain weather for a month of the year like the 1940s with warm Aprils and cold Januaries, 1960s with cold Decembers or 1980s with mild Decembers, 1990s with warm Augusts etc. Contrast to Julys which have tended to be warm this decade, 2010 (even if very wet), 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2019.

We often hear that summers aren't as great as they used to be. Well as many on here would have experienced the Augusts of the 90s and the 80s to a lesser extent (considering Augusts 1985 and 1986 were exceptionally poor) when they were younger, maybe this saying holds some light here?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    You’re right, it wasn’t terrible.... it was atrocious. Three days of 12c or under as a max is really really bad even by Irish standards.

The first two weeks of June were rough, I hope to not see a June as cold as this for a long time to come. June 2019 for me is head and shoulders above as the worst month of this summer and possibly one of the worst months of summer I have ever experienced in Ireland.

August has been a mixed bag so far, nice first week, unsettled second week. The past few days have actually been fairly decent here in Meath, mild to warm and mostly sunny. If we can pull a few warm or very warm days out of the bag before months end, then this August won't be too bad overall.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

It's rained everyday in Cork city bar one day so far in August. Abysmal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I thought is was a better than average Summer tbh. The mean temperature has been well up with soil temperatures constantly 2 to 3 degrees above. Growth has been very good too. The nights in particular were nearly always over 10C and quite often 14/15C

I've friends in the farming sector, it has been the best ever year for grass growth, warmth and rain at the right time

August is sofar the wettest I've witnessed however

Gonzo wrote: »
    The first two weeks of June were rough, I hope to not see a June as cold as this for a long time to come. June 2019 for me is head and shoulders above as the worst month of this summer and possibly one of the worst months of summer I have ever experienced in Ireland.

August has been a mixed bag so far, nice first week, unsettled second week. The past few days have actually been fairly decent here in Meath, mild to warm and mostly sunny. If we can pull a few warm or very warm days out of the bag before months end, then this August won't be too bad overall.

I live in Galway, June was nothing out of the ordinary compared to August or countless other summer months, every month of summer 2012 was miles worse , we have had more rain since August 1st than in the previous nine months of 2019 ( and last few months of 2018) and that is no exaggeration

I've family in the east, the west was drier this year much of the time compared to the east

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kyler_87

I live in Galway, June was nothing out of the ordinary compared to August, we have had more rain since August 1st than in the previous nine months

I've family in the east, the west was drier this year much of the time compared to the east

August has been poor in Cork also

kyler_87 wrote: »
    August has been poor in Cork also

Poor does not come close to describing it, the drops are like buckets

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Build it and they will come....go the distance....

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

In Dublin, August has been brutal (as usual)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I've friends in the farming sector, it has been the best ever year for grass growth, warmth and rain at the right time

August is sofar the wettest I've witnessed however

Speaking of growth, the number of insects, bees, birds, butterflies etc etc has been far and away higher this year than any other year of recent times. Both here in Cork (where its been terrible weatherwise) and over in the south of the UK too.

All purely my own unprofessional observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

we seem to always get decent september and october i have to say a dry mild october is lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Holy damn. There is simply no end to these rainy days. To say there is nothing remotely resembling a summer is a big understatement.

How is that a 4-day max work-week is not national law? You know, some effort to provide metal health rest to people. If you get absolutely no sun and no break from the rain even in the summer, what alternative is there to, you know, recharge and not go crazy miserable?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The_Brood wrote: »
    Holy damn. There is simply no end to these rainy days. To say there is nothing remotely resembling a summer is a big understatement.

How is that a 4-day max work-week is not national law? You know, some effort to provide metal health rest to people. If you get absolutely no sun and no break from the rain even in the summer, what alternative is there to, you know, recharge and not go crazy miserable?

It’s been a great summer and we needed the rain in case the grass went a bit yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

It’s been a great summer and we needed the rain in case the grass went a bit yellow

Your sarcasm made be giggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wasn't a bad summer overall. We needed the rain ( well some of it anyway) and it was generally warm(ISH)

Even when it rained, my ground was dry within 24 hours of it stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭daedal

Since starting this thread I’ve made plans to leave this miserable piss pot! The lack of vitamin D is affecting my mental health and supplements just don’t cut it. So it’ll be Greece for the winter and Canada from Spring to whenever I start to miss the misery. Bye folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

daedal wrote: »
    Since starting this thread I’ve made plans to leave this miserable piss pot! The lack of vitamin D is affecting my mental health and supplements just don’t cut it. So it’ll be Greece for the winter and Canada from Spring to whenever I start to miss the misery. Bye folks!

See ya

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Missing you already.

Enjoy the weather! Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

August has been a total washout in the NW since the 3rd. After 20 days in a row with rain maybe Friday will be dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Bon voyage. Please be careful with hurricanes, wild fires, tornadoes and other weather extremes.
    Fair play to you for acting on your needs and feelings rather than just winging about it- respect.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

This may come as a shock to you but not everyone goes into a spiral of depression and self pity over the Irish weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You need decent quality vit d and magnesium. They are not all the same quality.

This may come as a shock to you but not everyone goes into a spiral of depression and self pity over the Irish weather.

Not everyone but seasonal affective disorder is a real thing and can have quite an impact on someone’s mental health. Being knowledgeable about these issues could help those close to you.

Must be hard having it all year round so..

Must be hard having it all year round so..

It can be hence why it’s the second time I’ve decided to emigrate, I’m more mature now so I reckon I can commit and live through the homesickness. Going away the first time made me miss home, being home for the last 6 years made me realize how much better life was abroad. There is nothing I miss about the country, only family and friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Best of luck Daedal, hope it works out for you! I’ve friends that have done it and now they complain about other things instead of the weather. Things like-
    The pubs are crap
    The locals have no sense of humor
    The politicians make Irish one look good.
    Schools are too expensive.
    They live in fear of school shootings.
    And then sometimes they still complain about the weather being too hot! You’ll never beat the Irish:)

Advertisement