Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cookers stopped working

Options
  • 13-08-2019 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

Our two 3 month old Neff cookers stopped working at the same time yesterday - separate main oven and combi microwave. They were both in use at the time which wouldn't be unusual. Funny thing is nothing tripped in the consumer unit and the neon on the spur stayed lit.

The house was recently rewired and the electrician had has RECI inspection during the job. I haven't been able to get hold of him today and the ovens are still completely dead :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Payton

You will need to contact who you purchased them from, they in turn will have an Neff engineer out to you.
    !! Don't go trying to fix it yourself as it will void the warranty !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

No intention of touching anything myself. I was thinking that the electrician would be the first port of call as the chances of both ovens (they're seperate appliances) developing a fault at the same time must be tiny. Hopefully he'll get back to me tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

digitaldr wrote: »
    Our two 3 month old Neff cookers stopped working at the same time yesterday - separate main oven and combi microwave. They were both in use at the time which wouldn't be unusual. Funny thing is nothing tripped in the consumer unit and the neon on the spur stayed lit.

The house was recently rewired and the electrician had has RECI inspection during the job. I haven't been able to get hold of him today and the ovens are still completely dead :(

When you say spur,do you mean isolator?(cooker switch )
    My guess is s connection problem possibly at the cooker switch. Depending on the loading of these appliances I’d recommend separate circuits for your oven and microwave. The microwave should have its own isolator if it’s a separate appliance and the socket is inaccessible .
    Have you also got an electric hob?

Sorry I did mean isolater - light on it remained lit although I turned it off for safetys sake as I suspected a bad connection. The oven and microwave are both connected to it and the hob has it's own isolater.

Should this setup have passed a RECI inspection? Still no reply from my electrician this morning.

Each appliance should have its own isolator although it is permitted to switch an oven and hob from the one isolator if they’re both within 2m.

• Advertisement

Combi microwave and oven are next to each other so I guess it's ok to have them on the same isolater?

Electrician got back to me after the builder called him. Said something about Neff using underrated cables and so he put a fused spur in behind the oven? He knows I'm gairly handy so suggested that I pull out the oven a put a new fuse in but offerred to call out if I wasn't willing. From past experience the chances of him appearing in the near future are slim - builder was on site to finish a few snags so he said he'd take care of it.

digitaldr wrote: »
    Combi microwave and oven are next to each other so I guess it's ok to have them on the same isolater?

Electrician got back to me after the builder called him. Said something about Neff using underrated cables and so he put a fused spur in behind the oven? He knows I'm gairly handy so suggested that I pull out the oven a put a new fuse in but offerred to call out if I wasn't willing. From past experience the chances of him appearing in the near future are slim - builder was on site to finish a few snags so he said he'd take care of it.

The combi grill is rated at 16amp so this may be a recurring issue. Your electrician was prudent to install a fused spur to protect the cable. You need a more permanent solution

Thanks - pity the spur isn't more accessible :( I don't think the electrician realised we were going for a combi mictowave when he did the wiring.

Advertisement