Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Galway from kildare

Options
  • 13-08-2019 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi folks, myself and my wife are toying with the idea of selling our house in kildare and moving to galway with our 2 young kids.. I could get a transfer from my current job to the same position in galway city and my wife could get a transfer also, so work isn't an issue.. Has anybody done this and what were your experiences..? Are you happy with your choice? Also what are the commuter towns for galway city preferably out past spiddal direction as anywhere closer would be too expensive.. TIA...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Depends which side of the city your workplaces would be located.

If you are working on the east side of the city it would make sense to look in suburbs or towns in the east of the county e.g. Oranmore, Craughwell, Claregalway, Athenry. Otherwise the commute from out west (Knocknacarra, Barna, Spiddal, etc.) would be a pain in the arse!

There was a new development announced in Oranmore this week, 200+ new houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭canireally

Moved here from Cork a few years ago love it. Love the people and the city.
    Public transport is poor though and traffic is chronic with no solution on the horizon. Live on the same side as you work, or the commute can be brutal. So if you're thinking spiddal make sure you're working that side, Knocknacarra salthill etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Butterface wrote: »
    Depends which side of the city your workplaces would be located.

If you are working on the east side of the city it would make sense to look in suburbs or towns in the east of the county e.g. Oranmore, Craughwell, Claregalway, Athenry. Otherwise the commute from out west (Knocknacarra, Barna, Spiddal, etc.) would be a pain in the arse!

There was a new development announced in Oranmore this week, 200+ new houses.

Totally agree with this. Galway is a great city but live the same side of the city to your work. It's a must..... The only real downside to Galway is the traffic. And with no ring road around the city in sight the situation won't change anytime soon.

Oranmore has train too which is a big plus for commuting into city.

Advertisement