Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired Smoke alarms

Options
  • 13-08-2019 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭

The wired smoke alarms x3 and heat alarm x1 are coming up to their expiry date and I'll need to replace them. Is there a certain brand/type I should be aiming for to buy to swap them out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Payton wrote: »
    The wired smoke alarms x3 and heat alarm x1 are coming up to their expiry date and I'll need to replace them. Is there a certain brand/type I should be aiming for to buy to swap them out.

If you use have the same make as what was already there then you won't have to replace the pattresses. If you aren't replacing all alarms then you must use the same make as what's there due to the interlink.

For my personal preference of brand it would be Ei Electronics, which are made in Ireland (in Shannon, Co. Clare).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Reisers

+1 for EI

Has EI changed their bases lately or are they still the same.I know they have all new model alarms out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Don’t EI do a base that has a n/o contact that can be wired back to the house alarm so it can alert you if your not there?
    I’m installing some in my house soon and a lad I work with was talking about these, I’ll have floors up and the alarm box is right beside the fuse board which will make it handy and I’ll be getting my alarm guy out for some other bits soon after anyway so he can put them on a spare zone.

salmocab wrote: »
    Don’t EI do a base that has a n/o contact that can be wired back to the house alarm so it can alert you if your not there?
    I’m installing some in my house soon and a lad I work with was talking about these, I’ll have floors up and the alarm box is right beside the fuse board which will make it handy and I’ll be getting my alarm guy out for some other bits soon after anyway so he can put them on a spare zone.
    They do its called a relay base if I remember, you'd run a pair back to your panel from the base.

If I was fitting EI I'd also look at the wall switches they do for test/hush that can be added to the setup.

Reisers wrote: »
    +1 for EI

Has EI changed their bases lately or are they still the same.I know they have all new model alarms out.

I think they increased the terminal size inside them, but they are still the same size and profile and fit new alarms.

• Advertisement

Do EI do carbon monoxide detectors that are compatible with the smokes? I vaguely remember fitting some before but it’s been a while since I done that sort of work.

salmocab wrote: »
    Do EI do carbon monoxide detectors that are compatible with the smokes? I vaguely remember fitting some before but it’s been a while since I done that sort of work.

I think they do a combi, not 100% on that

Reisers wrote: »
    I think they do a combi, not 100% on that

Just as good, presume they do a heat combo for the kitchen. I’ll look into it all before I start anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

EI are excellent

I've nest combined smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, very happy with them but I've no heat detectors from them.

I get a monthly report emailed to me and it had has nightlight

I would not go with them at the moment though. They have removed all their works with nest features in favour of a very closed Google environment.

I also have a detector directly onto my home alarm system rather than linking up an EI one.

It's no harm to have an overlap.

Ei do a combined Heat & CO but unfortunately there is no combined Smoke & CO.

Nest's failure to produce a Heat detector has ruled me out of using them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement