Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring a van / crew cab privately

Options
  • 14-08-2019 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hello,.

Could someone please explain to me the process of using a van privately if you are an employee. In particular the insurance aspect.

I would like to have something like a transporter t5 for my own use. I am aware I would have to tax it privately that is no issue.

I would like to use it on weekends for Surfing / mountain biking / bringing the dog along / the odd overnight stay on an air mattress.

See plenty of Vans at the beach every weekend so how are people managing this?

Seems to me you need to insure the van commercially? Which may be misleading in my case.

Recently bought a T4 camper conversion low roof but finding it hard to get it insured as a camper due to the low roof so thinking of reverting it to a van on the log book and removing the conversion stuff.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You have to get commercial insurance, it's a commercial vehicle after all, and you need social and domestic use on the policy. Your private car NCD won't transfer but some companies might mirror it.

You tax it privately, which is based on the old cc system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LooSea

BazzyB wrote: »
    Hello,.

Could someone please explain to me the process of using a van privately if you are an employee. In particular the insurance aspect.

I would like to have something like a transporter t5 for my own use. I am aware I would have to tax it privately that is no issue.

I would like to use it on weekends for Surfing / mountain biking / bringing the dog along / the odd overnight stay on an air mattress.

See plenty of Vans at the beach every weekend so how are people managing this?

Seems to me you need to insure the van commercially? Which may be misleading in my case.

Recently bought a T4 camper conversion low roof but finding it hard to get it insured as a camper due to the low roof so thinking of reverting it to a van on the log book and removing the conversion stuff.

Thanks

How did you get on with insuring the van? I have been considering something similar, although even smaller, like a Caddy Maxi, but I'm having trouble getting insurance quotes below €1000. I've been thinking the same - how is everyone else doing it??

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

Most companies need you to have an an occupation to warrant a commercial.

You can use a private no claims bonus on a van - you have to cancel the private car policy to use it but they can be transferred.

Some companies will mirror a bonus across but that's rare enough these days.

Vans with alterations cause a problem with some companies.

Social domestic and pleasure is always on a commercial motor policy - it's standard across the boarrd along with in connection with your occupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzyB

LooSea wrote: »
    How did you get on with insuring the van? I have been considering something similar, although even smaller, like a Caddy Maxi, but I'm having trouble getting insurance quotes below €1000. I've been thinking the same - how is everyone else doing it??

In the end I had little issue getting a quote, told them I worked in the energy industry which i do and occasionally would have to travel to work with a few tools. No issue as I'd normally keep tools in the car anyway nothing crazy just wrenches and drills. They would even mirror my named driving experience on my partners policy, but the quotes were mad all €1500+ after taking this into account, girl on the phone couldn't understand why the underwriter was quoting so high but shes couldn't get them to drop, I only pay €420 for the car so i parked it after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LooSea

Such a shame that you've had to give up for that reason!

I'm pretty angry that insurance is preventing me from doing something as low risk as driving a vehicle without back seats. It's a bit like the fun police are monitoring me to make sure that I live a conventional and ordinary life... Today I'm going to try one more time to ring around and get quotes from the few companies that I haven't tried yet, but if €1000 is the lowest quote I can get, I'll have to park the van dream as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

LooSea wrote: »
    Such a shame that you've had to give up for that reason!

I'm pretty angry that insurance is preventing me from doing something as low risk as driving a vehicle without back seats. ll.

It's far from low risk when people carry passengers in the back without fixed seating, which is fairly common when commercial vehicles are used for private purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

It's far from low risk when people carry passengers in the back without fixed seating, which is fairly common when commercial vehicles are used for private purposes

Would your policy be cancelled in that case?

You need to be pretty reckless to jump into the back of a van and get thrown around.

pinktoe wrote: »

You need to be pretty reckless to jump into the back of a van and get thrown around.

They could. There would be a condition that you only carry passengers for which a fixed seat is provided, but if an accident occurs the damage is already done as the insurers would be obliged to compensate any injured passengers. This is the reason not many insurers offer quotes for private use

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

They could. There would be a condition that you only carry passengers for which a fixed seat is provided, but if an accident occurs the damage is already done as the insurers would be obliged to compensate any injured passengers. This is the reason not many insurers offer quotes for private use

Private use is covered on all commercial motor policies - It's the occupation that some companies won't quote.

jinkybhoy wrote: »
    Private use is covered on all commercial motor policies - It's the occupation that some companies won't quote.

Private use as an ancillary to the primary commercial use. It's the lack of specific commercial occupation that causes problems for insurers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Looking for advice folks, looking at getting a small van for private use and taxing it privately, but the insurance i can't get clear answers on. Is there any comprehensive policy that I can take out on the van for private use which would allow me to drive cars if the need arises as I have use of a family members car if required?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Most of the small vans also have a ”car " version ,
    Transit connect torneo , Berlingo ,there's a vw caddy type too ,
    Might be an easier bet to just get the window version ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

pinktoe wrote: »

No, people -still - do it all the time. I watched someone climb out of back of a van in a petrol station only the other day, on the 'lunch roll run', and get back.

I also knew someone who died when a commercial SUV in that very scenario crashed.

I've also looked at insuring a van, and the lady told me that even if they insured it, if they 'knew I was carrying (eg surfboard) etc that they'd cancel it.... ...nope, I don't get it either....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement