Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VAG 1.4 v 1.5 TSI engines

• 14-08-2019 5:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭

What are people’s opinions between the new VAG group engines ? ( well maybe not so new at this stage). Were there issues in the Skoda cars with them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

We have two of the 1.4 150 ACT. Manual and DSG. I think it is an amazing engine, quick, smooth and frugal. No issues at all.

There have been well documented issues with the newer 1.5 kangarooing when cold, and some people are still waiting for a fix. I am not sure if VW have resolved it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Can you still get the 1.4? I see the 1.5 is only available with the dsg on the Skoda site. I had an Octavia with the 1.4 112bhp DSG, lovely car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I believe the kangarooing issue on 1.5s is on manuals and that DSGs aren't affected.

Open to correction though

Old diesel wrote: »
    I believe the kangarooing issue on 1.5s is on manuals and that DSGs aren't affected.

Correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

It’s the 1.4 In the ateca. Am interested in a second hand one

• Advertisement

Just cleverly masked by gear change software, wltp has signed that engines death warrant.

It’s the 1.4 In the ateca. Am interested in a second hand one

Manual or DSG? What bhp is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Manual or DSG? What bhp is it?

Manual 150 bhp

Manual 150 bhp

I loved mine it was the 122 bhp if you aren't doing big mileage I'd recommend it wholeheartedly. Mine never dropped below 40 mpg on any tank of juice its best was 47 mpg, the newer engine you're looking at would be better on fuel. Try and get an extended test drive and see does it suit your day to day driving.

Manual 150 bhp

As I said, I have that combo in a Superb, and rate it very highly indeed.

• Advertisement

As I said, I have that combo in a Superb, and rate it very highly indeed.

What's it like on juice?

What's it like on juice?

Between 6.2l/100 and 7.0//100.
    70% motorway. 30% town.

Long distance best was 5.2l/100

Between 6.2l/100 and 7.0//100.
    70% motorway. 30% town.

Long distance best was 5.2l/100
    Not bad at all for such a big car.

Not bad at all for such a big car.

Indeed, and it is so smooth, at idle you wouldn't know if it was on or off. I ditched an F10 5 series diesel for it and have not looked back.

Indeed, and it is so smooth, at idle you wouldn't know if it was on or off. I ditched an F10 5 series diesel for it and have not looked back.

I went back to diesel after having a dreadful experience with the 1 litre petrol in an Octavia, shocking engine I hated it. The diesel is so much coarser.

I went back to diesel after having a dreadful experience with the 1 litre petrol in an Octavia, shocking engine I hated it. The diesel is so much coarser.

In fairness that engine is just to small. I had a 191 loaner 1.6 diesel Octavia a while back. Noisy and vibey, my petrol Superb felt like an EV by comparison. I'll never go back to diesel.

In fairness that engine is just to small. I had a 191 loaner 1.6 diesel Octavia a while back. Noisy and vibey, my petrol Superb felt like an EV by comparison. I'll never go back to diesel.

Is some of this refinement down to the Superb side of things.

Because in a Superb the 2.0 diesel is brilliantly refined yet the same EA288 family gets marked down in other VAG product for been a bit noisy.

It's a.mystery tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Just collected my Seat Ateca 1.5tsi dsg last saturday, loving it so far.
    90km trip and the rest stop start around town, 200km up and the display shows 42mpg average.
    Time will tell but it has plenty of go for a small engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

vectra wrote: »
    Just collected my Seat Ateca 1.5tsi dsg last saturday, loving it so far.
    90km trip and the rest stop start around town, 200km up and the display shows 42mpg average.
    Time will tell but it has plenty of go for a small engine.

Hows the engine fairing out for you. I'm trying to convince my wife to go for 1.5TSI DSG over the diesel.

Hows the engine fairing out for you. I'm trying to convince my wife to go for 1.5TSI DSG over the diesel.

Haven't went on any sort of decent trip yet but still glad I made the decision with it.
    Plenty of poke when needed.
    So smooth compared to the diesel.
    Get her to have a test drive in one, she will be easily convinced.

• Advertisement

It really depends on what mileage you're doing. I must confess I do miss the quietness of the petrol but not the running costs, those 12c per litre add up when you're filling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

It really depends on what mileage you're doing. I must confess I do miss the quietness of the petrol but not the running costs, those 12c per litre add up when you're filling up.

Most of the driving will be total of 30 mins a day for my wife so Petrol should be OK for that distance. I drive 150k+ a day so i'm sticking with diesel for now.

Most of the driving will be total of 30 mins a day for my wife so Petrol should be OK for that distance. I drive 150k+ a day so i'm sticking with diesel for now.

Ideal for your missus, you've the diesel for longer spins, the best of both worlds really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

have the 1.5 manual in a leon and find it pretty good on fuel im sure i could get more out of it if i took it out of FR mode, but life's to short for that kind of thing.

Just cleverly masked by gear change software, wltp has signed that engines death warrant.

If the DSG gets around the issue then there's no need for a death warrant - just make it auto only.......

But I understand that not every 1.5 TSI manual is affected which is a headscratcher.

And people are getting different stories - some apparently are getting software updates while others are told no fix yet.

It's a confusing mess by VW.

It all rather reminds me off the dieselgate "fix" saga - some got cars that drove the same to the point they wondered if the fix was done - while others had nightmares - and some (Tiguan DSG 140s spring to mind) got a "fix" from VW to the original "fix".

Has anyone seen a guesstimate anywhere as to how many 1.5 TSis actually have the issue.

And if it's a WLTP related issue - why does it happen from cold. Surely the cars are well warmed up for WLTP?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I can see that getting easier over the coming years, the Gov will start to narrow the gap to discourage diesel purchases.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I can see that getting easier over the coming years, the Gov will start to narrow the gap to discourage diesel purchases.

Maybe. If anything it's getting wider atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I had a 1.5 TSI 150 and it averaged 39 mpg on my driving and with the exact same driving now I’m averaging 47mpg in a 2.0 diesel.

Quickly adds up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't think anyone is disputing diesel will give most of us more MPG, but it ain't the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I don't think anyone is disputing diesel will give most of us more MPG, but it ain't the future.

Petrol isn’t the future either going by that argument. So buy the diesel and just wait for the “future”

AHH will ya stop... This isn't what this thread is about.

I had a 1.5 TSI 150 and it averaged 39 mpg on my driving and with the exact same driving now I’m averaging 47mpg in a 2.0 diesel.

Quickly adds up.
    Yes it does. Consider everything before making the leap, as the petrol car can hurt the pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I have the 1.5 tsi dsg in leon st estate and find it great, quite and powerful when needed. Coming from a 1.2tsi octavia, could not go down to the newer 1 liter.

Anyway needed a change and Dsg with adaptive cruise control is unbeatable (unless you have autonomous driving of course)

Had a diesel before octavia and there is just something better about petrol, besides the normal advantages of noise etc, it just feels better.

Will need to check my fuel consumption in morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Isn't the kangaroo issue also only in a particular Skoda model?

DaveyDave wrote: »

Think it features on 1.5s all over the group.

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »

No, it's in all manual cars.

Think it features on 1.5s all over the group.

Yes
    No, it's in all manual cars.

DSG as well though not as noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

ForestFire wrote: »
    I have the 1.5 tsi dsg in leon st estate and find it great, quite and powerful when needed. Coming from a 1.2tsi octavia, could not go down to the newer 1 liter.

Anyway needed a change and Dsg with adaptive cruise control is unbeatable (unless you have autonomous driving of course)

Had a diesel before octavia and there is just something better about petrol, besides the normal advantages of noise etc, it just feels better.

Will need to check my fuel consumption in morning.

Hi, we are thinking of changing from my wife's 181 Ibiza to the Leon ST TSi, either the 130 ps manual or 150 DSG if we can stretch to it. How do you find it on petrol? The little 1.0 TSi is doing 50mpg which is great, I don't expect the Leon to be that good, but was hoping it would do mid 40s in the real world, maybe that's unrealistic? My wife has a commute of 100km a day, uses a tank of fuel a week currently. I know fuel economy is only one part of the cost of ownership but the extra repayments (as well as higher depreciation) to move to the Leon as well as a bigger fuel bill might make it an unrealistic proposition for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Hi, we are thinking of changing from my wife's 181 Ibiza to the Leon ST TSi, either the 130 ps manual or 150 DSG if we can stretch to it. How do you find it on petrol? The little 1.0 TSi is doing 50mpg which is great, I don't expect the Leon to be that good, but was hoping it would do mid 40s in the real world, maybe that's unrealistic? My wife has a commute of 100km a day, uses a tank of fuel a week currently. I know fuel economy is only one part of the cost of ownership but the extra repayments (as well as higher depreciation) to move to the Leon as well as a bigger fuel bill might make it an unrealistic proposition for now.

I have the 130 1.5TSI Leon FR and in normal mode I'm getting around 42mpg on average. Commute ~70km roundtrip (mostly motorway) 3 days a week, and the rest of my driving would be <20km roundtrip on R or L roads. Lately most of my driving has been motorway but have had the car a few months and it rarely strays from about the 42mpg on each tank.

Was getting a better return in my 2010 1.2L Polo (60bhp v current 130bhp) of about 45-47mpg but this is way more luxurious and fun, wouldn't change back for the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Thanks for that, is your car brand new? If so i suspect that will improve, with the Ibiza it was only doing mid 40s until there was about 20k kms on it and since then it has improved substantially, does up to 53 mpg on some journeys which is brilliant really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, is your car brand new? If so i suspect that will improve, with the Ibiza it was only doing mid 40s until there was about 20k kms on it and since then it has improved substantially, does up to 53 mpg on some journeys which is brilliant really.

Yeah, it's a 191 that was only dealer owned. Has about 13,000km on it now. I'll be keeping track of it to see if the same holds true for me, it would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I have just ordered a Seat Arona with the 1.5 150BHP engine.

I drove the larger Ateca with the same engine and it was pokey enough. I would say the engine in the smaller Arona will be a flyer.

Tzardine wrote: »
    I have just ordered a Seat Arona with the 1.5 150BHP engine.

I drove the larger Ateca with the same engine and it was pokey enough. I would say the engine in the smaller Arona will be a flyer.

Nice one, manual or DSG? I do miss the smooth silent power of the petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Manual in FR spec. Did not see the Dsg listed as an option actually, although it was a manual I wanted.

I have the 1.5 dsg in my Ateca FR, Absolutely a pleasure to drive.

I have the 1.5 dsg in my Ateca FR, Absolutely a pleasure to drive.

I loved my 1.4 TSI, hated that bloody 3 cylinder 1 litre it always sounded like a bag of nails and the stop start was rougher than a Ferguson tractor.

There should be some very interesting options available when I'm changing mine in 2022, hybrid, mild hybrid, plug-in hybrid, interesting times lie ahead.

I loved my 1.4 TSI, hated that bloody 3 cylinder 1 litre it always sounded like a bag of nails and the stop start was rougher than a Ferguson tractor.

There should be some very interesting options available when I'm changing mine in 2022, hybrid, mild hybrid, plug-in hybrid, interesting times lie ahead.

Tarraco FR PHEV coming as well I think :pac:

Tarraco FR PHEV coming as well I think :pac:

Car man myself, I just don't get this toy SUV lark tbh. The new Octavia looks very nice.

Car man myself, I just don't get this toy SUV lark tbh. The new Octavia looks very nice.

I didn't either a few years ago, but times and views change with age :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

I rented a jetta in the states recently with 1.4 150bhp 8 speed Auto don't think was dsg. Lovely drivetrain. It's a real shame the 150 is basically a 10 grand option in Ireland versus being base over there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement