Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking with Gas VS Electric?

Options
  • 14-08-2019 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Just wonder which you guys prefer, cooking on a gas hob vs electric, or anyone got any pros and cons of each?

I'm leaning to go towards gas for cooking as presumably it will be quicker and won't be as dry a heat as electric?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Electric induction has almost all the benefits of gas but is much safer than both gas and electric ceramic or halogen.

I've am induction hob nearly ten years and wouldn't change to another type.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Totally agree on the induction. Got one about 2 years ago and would never go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I have cooked on induction before, my brother has an induction hob, as does a good friend of mine - and whenever I visit, I'm asked to cook.

Induction does heat up faster than gas does, and it's definitely safer. If you have children, that would definitely be a consideration.
    But personally, I find gas easier to regulate. And there are some things that induction cannot do - charring a pepper or an aubergine, for example, or making puffed-up chapatis. I realise these are niche things, and maybe at the heart of it all it's really about me being able to play with fire, who knows?

So having tried both, I'd stick with gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I've never used an induction hob so I can't comment, but having used ordinary electric hobs and gas hobs for years I'd never ever ever choose an electric hob - they are terrible unless you want to burn or boil things. A gas burner heats and cools instantly, is infinitely adjustable and as Shenshen says, you can use the flame itself for charring /toasting things.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

Thanks guys a bit of differing opinion there, it's pretty much 50-50 between induction and gas on here, so fans in both camps it would appear!

I'll definitely do a little more research into induction hobs. I was getting swayed by gas for a change having never had it before.

Lots of food for thought, appreciate all the comments!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you can, try and find someone with an induction hob and have them give you a demo, or let you have a try yourself. Many people who've never used one assume that because it looks just like a conventional ceramic hob, that it performs the same as well, but nothing could be further from the truth.

I switched from conventional electric to induction a few years ago and the difference is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We had gas for years and I was all set to go with it again until I experienced the speed and precision control of induction. I wouldn’t have been unhappy with sticking with gas either, but induction is very impressive. Easier to keep clean too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I had conventional electric but when my parents moved house I took their old gas cooker as I thought the plain electric was terrible. However my parents have an induction now & can see the benefits of that too.
    For example when steaming potatoes, the water wont boil out like it does on the gas cooker. And the settings can be fine tuned more easily.
    I just like the gas as I can get things really hot on it & cook fast things. Know it better for baking too.
    But can definitely see benefits of each......just don't get a plain electric :D

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

Induction for over 10 years and wouldn't change for anything. If you are in Dublin OP, make a visit to the Bosch/Neff cooking showroom on the M50 estate at Ballymount where they do demos and are really helpful with advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gas every time. Control and cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I like gas because it means you can cook even if there is a power outage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭quokula

Regular electric is poor, gas is far better in terms of controlling the heat and speed it heats up.

Induction is the future though, it's just as good as gas, while also being much safer, easier to keep clean, and leaving you with a flat usable counter surface when it's turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I like gas because it means you can cook even if there is a power outage.

When I was first here I was without ESB for five months. The gas cooker was a lifesaver. Warmed the house too.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,009 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They'll take my gas from my cold dead hands...

A mixed hob with normal induction units and a gas wok burner would be ideal really though

Advertisement