Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters after a BA?

Options
  • 14-08-2019 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies if this is a dumb question. I tried searching for an answer online without success so hope you guys can help.

Is it possible to complete a BA and go on to do a Masters or do you have to have a BSc to qualify for a Masters?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Depends on masters you're after, what you got in your BA and if you have a background for the MA. I did a BA and did a MSc after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Maldesu wrote: »
    Depends on masters you're after, what you got in your BA and if you have a background for the MA. I did a BA and did a MSc after it.

Thanks Maldesu, I was told there was a black and white rule that if you wanted to keep the option of doing a masters straight after your undergraduate degree your undergraduate degree needed to be a BSc as you couldn't access a Masters with a BA regardless of the quality of the BA and would have to do some sort of conversion course to qualify for a Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭KaneToad

You've been misinformed.

A BA is not a lesser undergraduate degree when compared to a BSc. A masters degree can be undertaken after completion of an undergraduate BA.

KaneToad wrote: »
    You've been misinformed.

A BA is not a lesser undergraduate degree when compared to a BSc. A masters degree can be undertaken after completion of an undergraduate BA.

Thanks KaneToad, appreciate the confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

54&56 wrote: »
    Thanks Maldesu, I was told there was a black and white rule that if you wanted to keep the option of doing a masters straight after your undergraduate degree your undergraduate degree needed to be a BSc as you couldn't access a Masters with a BA regardless of the quality of the BA and would have to do some sort of conversion course to qualify for a Masters.

Def not. There are loads of things out there that depend on flexability between Arts and Sciences - Springboard conversion courses are an example.
    Obviously, there are some things you'd not get into without the right undergrads (you'll not get far trying to get a MSc in Pharmacology with a BA in English), but having a good degree (shows ability to do work), modules with similar background (food science, health, biology) and even previous work exp all help with an application.

Whatever you are applying for, read all the info you can, make contact with the Uni and visit an open day.

• Advertisement

Maldesu wrote: »
    Def not. There are loads of things out there that depend on flexability between Arts and Sciences - Springboard conversion courses are an example.
    Obviously, there are some things you'd not get into without the right undergrads (you'll not get far trying to get a MSc in Pharmacology with a BA in English), but having a good degree (shows ability to do work), modules with similar background (food science, health, biology) and even previous work exp all help with an application.

Whatever you are applying for, read all the info you can, make contact with the Uni and visit an open day.

Really solid advice and much appreciated Maldesu, thank you.

Advertisement