Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCD Rugby team get kicked out of Canadian Stadium

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Sounds like they were just having the “craic”. No one was hurt and even the home fans wanted them to stay.

The stadium security should have seen the funny side of it instead of coming down in that unpopular, and “heavy handed” way.

Hope the lads are alright.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

"Legends"....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Canadians are dry shïtes. The lads probably had 4 beers and were singing a few baudy songs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I have been to a baseball games before , it is worse than cricket. BAF , boring as fúck.

They look like they are on the piss having a laugh. They are legends now in my eyes. Spraying a few cans and singing a few songs is hardly causing any harm. All it takes is an over zealous security official and you are into getting the boot.

I hope they had a laugh, and as I said baseball is crap anyways, they missed nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Perhaps Canadians don't appreciate drainpipe jeans, crap haircuts, insufferable accents and singing their "anthems" pissed while people are trying to watch baseball. Yeah, I'd find a pretext to kick them out too.

I think we'd know the response if this was Crumlin United getting kicked out of the stadium; ye wouldn't be labeling them 'legends'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

...occasionally paused for pushups...
    Christ almighty

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Yurt! wrote: »
    Perhaps Canadians don't appreciate drainpipe jeans, crap haircuts, insufferable accents

What does that have to do with anything?

Perhaps Canadians don't appreciate drainpipe jeans, crap haircuts, insufferable accents and singing their "anthems" pissed while people are trying to watch baseball. Yeah, I'd find a pretext to kick them out too.

I think we'd know the response if this was Crumlin United getting kicked out of the stadium; ye wouldn't be labeling them 'legends'.

Controversial.

Inverse Snobbery is contagious, be careful.

Apparently the security personnel themselves weren't particularly bothered by them. Seems like it may have been a 'word in the ear' scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

What does that have to do with anything?
    Indeed. But they were probably being rowdy pains in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Indeed. But they were probably being rowdy pains in the hole.

"The crowd, however, wanted the rugby players to stay, even chanting in support as they made their way to the exits."

So probably not being pains in the hole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Sounds like they done nothing wrong and were wrongly put out. Nothing to see here, hope they had a decent night otherwise.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Controversial.

Inverse Snobbery is contagious, be careful.

Not really, if Crumlin United got kicked out in similar circumstances I'd be calling them dopes too. Some here would appear to be reluctant to call embarrassing UCD nuisances abroad for what they are though. Throwing beer around and chanting "UCD" when others are trying to enjoy a sporting occasion isn't my idea of "the craic."

Not really, if Crumlin United got kicked out in similar circumstances I'd be calling them dopes too. Some here would appear to be reluctant to call embarrassing UCD nuisances abroad for what they are though. Throwing beer around and chanting "UCD" when others are trying to enjoy a sporting occasion isn't my idea of "the craic."

I don't think your being very fair to Crumlin United at this point, why are you using them as an example?

"The crowd, however, wanted the rugby players to stay, even chanting in support as they made their way to the exits."

So probably not being pains in the hole.

No more than usual at least. Was probably the most exciting thing that happened at the game.

Outrage Flight 101 to Toronto has been cancelled due to lack of fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Rugby team culture is insufferable and they invariably act like complete dopes when together and out.

It is obvious who the real victims are here. The OP should be ashamed with such leading questions.

4ZbHeBXC.jpg

Crumlin Abu.

9357966351595608683.png

They were ejected for spraying beer on each other when they were put on the Jumbotron.

The home crowd chanted for them to stay and cheered them as they left the stadium...

Who are you? The fun police?
    Sounds like you’ve an axe to grind/shoulder chip against these “types” more than anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You had to be there :pac:

But seriously, I watched the couple of Twitter videos in that article and honestly I was expecting something actually bad that deserved being kicked out for. The crowd were even chanting to let them stay so it seems good natured fun was being had by all involved.

I’m really not seeing what the fact they were from UCD has to do with anything tbh, only to get a pop at a stereotype of UCD students? That just reflects badly on the OP, says nothing about the lads who were kicked out of the stadium.

• Advertisement

You had to be there :pac:

But seriously, I watched the couple of Twitter videos in that article and honestly I was expecting something actually bad that deserved being kicked out for. The crowd were even chanting to let them stay so it seems good natured fun was being had by all involved.

I’m really not seeing what the fact they were from UCD has to do with anything tbh, only to get a pop at a stereotype of UCD students? That just reflects badly on the OP, says nothing about the lads who were kicked out of the stadium.

You're right. I actually can't resist having a pop at UCD.

Crumlin United are a fine football club btw and are a credit to their community.

Its' students or the university/institution itself, you are not really being clear here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Crumlin United are a fine football club btw and are a credit to their community.

Y’know what, fair play! A lot of people when it’s pointed out to them would pretend they didn’t know what a person was talking about.

Straight up, I like that :D

Nobody was comparing UCD with Crumlin though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

I have been to a baseball games before , it is worse than cricket. BAF , boring as fúck.

They look like they are on the piss having a laugh. They are legends now in my eyes. Spraying a few cans and singing a few songs is hardly causing any harm. All it takes is an over zealous security official and you are into getting the boot.

I hope they had a laugh, and as I said baseball is crap anyways, they missed nothing.

You thanked Steyr's post that has legends in quotes.
    Surely legends in quotes is ironic (like saying Ledge in a RO'CK dort accent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

So many people from Dublin really do love making everything into a class issue.

You thanked Steyr's post that has legends in quotes.
    Surely legends in quotes is ironic (like saying Ledge in a RO'CK dort accent)

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Woke Hogan wrote: »

Dublin is fairly class in fairness.

That’s the influence of Perfidious Albion on them, Woke. It’s in the DNA of the city at this stage.

I attended UCD, W. I, also, played rugby there. It’s not all Dublin.

The players were from all over, but mostly Dublin, obviously. We had “lads” from Limerick, Cork, Tipperary, Carlow, Belfast, and even one from Monaghan. Had a couple of overseas players at times as well.

It’s a great institution and was quite a “fun” place too. Playing rugby there meant you made great, lifelong, friends.

We went on “tour”, ourselves, like those lads over in Canada and had an absolute blast. Thankfully we didn’t make the news but, like the fellas in that story, we were just having a laugh and enjoying ourselves.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I've been to a blue jays game and can confirm it is the most boring ****e imaginable.

Fair play to them.

Can we not start culchie bashing instead ?

They go to UCD too.... and play for Crumlin United.

Can we not start culchie bashing instead ?

They go to UCD too.... and play for Crumlin United.

Only the traitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Apparently the security personnel themselves weren't particularly bothered by them. Seems like it may have been a 'word in the ear' scenario.

Never let the facts get in the way of the mob!
    They showed them on the Jumbotron and they started spraying beer all over each other and the cops begrudgingly stepped in to toss em, their whole section was chanting "let them stay"

They should have just downed the beers, seems to be the "thing" on the Jumbotron these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Chips ahoy

That’s the influence of Perfidious Albion on them, Woke. It’s in the DNA of the city at this stage.
    It surely must be. It's always either the poor downtrodden denizens of the "inner city" bawling about how they're never represented fairly or the private school poshos bragging about their wealth and status. Yuck.

• Advertisement

What?

My post is pretty clear.
    To spell it out:
    You didn't get the irony in his post.

My post is pretty clear.
    To spell it out:
    You didn't get the irony in his post.

In fairness I am not getting the irony in yours either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Apparently, the UCD rugby team managed to get themselves ejected from a Toronto Blue Jays / NY Yankees game in Toronto for going full Ross O'Carroll-Kelly. Even Canadian politeness has its limits...

https://uproxx.com/sports/brett-gardner-rugby-players-ejected-blue-jays-yankees-videos/

I dont understand the your link to UCD and south side Dublin "k**bs". I am from Laois and I was in college for 4 years in UCD and played rugby. Half our squad was from various parts of the country. Also that video is extremely harmless to be fair...you just come across as having a massive chip on shoulder against UCD for some reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

After having been to a Toronto baseball game before, let me say that the only way to survive the experience is to drink beer.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

In fairness I am not getting the irony in yours either.

None in mine.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

If I was at a game and got sprayed with beer by some gob****e acting up for the camera I'd be pretty annoyed

Scarinae wrote: »
    If I was at a game and got sprayed with beer by some gob****e acting up for the camera I'd be pretty annoyed

Op , the Crumlin lads are here now, I would fooking "leg it" if I were you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Picture the scene, 79minutes gone and 1 point down, Munster have a touchline conversion to win the match. Silence descends on the stadium as Joey Carbery lines up the kick. Then suddenly 40 drunk Canadians dressed in leprechaun outfits start spraying beer and roaring and balling.

There would actually be murders or at the very least G.B.H.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

It surely must be. It's always either the poor downtrodden denizens of the "inner city" bawling about how they're never represented fairly or the private school poshos bragging about their wealth and status. Yuck.

That aptly describes the whole city, there being no middle ground or class.

Anyway I’d throw the book at these lads. Not because they did anything wrong but, like, UCD. Amiright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Picture the scene, 79minutes gone and 1 point down, Munster have a touchline conversion to win the match. Silence descends on the stadium as Joey Carbery lines up the kick. Then suddenly 40 drunk Canadians dressed in leprechaun outfits start spraying beer and roaring and balling.

There’s no real silence at American or Canadian field sports.

And the silence for kickers in Ireland is just odd.

"There is a tradition here at Lansdowne Road that kicks are to be taken in silence", the tannoy whines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you suggesting that people from Crumlin can’t go to UCD?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQalTKPehIx9ccyxecP3FGkb7s3ZubL4aV2N3Re2q-Du1kofWqO

And the silence for kickers in Ireland is just odd.
    "There is a tradition here at Lansdowne Road that kicks are to be taken in silence", the tannoy whines.

The “silence” for the kick works on two levels. One, it is a mark of respect showing our confidence that we will win without any “messing” and two, it, suddenly, reminds the kicker that the whole stadium is watching them.

Aussie out-half, Michael Lynagh, was asked where the “toughest” place to kick is and he said that it was Lansdowne Road. The interviewer suggested the “crosswinds” in the old stadium but Lynagh said it was because of the silence.

The great Charlie Redmond once “commented” to Tony Ward that he could never kick in conditions like that.

It would be a real shame if that “tradition” ever faded away. I know a lot of “newer” fans, the ones who’ve never played the game, tend to whoop and holler during the kicks but they just look like eejits, which they are.

That aptly describes the whole city, there being no middle ground or class.

Anyway I’d throw the book at these lads. Not because they did anything wrong but, like, UCD. Amiright?

You’re right, definitely no class.

Why throw the book at them? Students rowdy at sports event shocker. It’s hardly hooliganism. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement