Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCD Rugby team get kicked out of Canadian Stadium

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Picture the scene, 79minutes gone and 1 point down, Munster have a touchline conversion to win the match. Silence descends on the stadium as Joey Carbery lines up the kick. Then suddenly 40 drunk Canadians dressed in leprechaun outfits start spraying beer and roaring and balling.

There would actually be murders or at the very least G.B.H.

For your analogy to be comparable, it would have to be in the 9th inning of the final game of the World Series or playoffs. Most regular season baseball games have fcuk all riding on them due to the sheer number that are played. And each last 3-4 hours with not a lot happening. The crowd often has to make their own fun, usually through excessive drinking of $10 beers. This incident looks completely harmless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The “silence” for the kick works on two levels. One, it is a mark of respect showing our confidence that we will win without any “messing” and two, it, suddenly, reminds the kicker that the whole stadium is watching them.

Aussie out-half, Michael Lynagh, was asked where the “toughest” place to kick is and he said that it was Lansdowne Road. The interviewer suggested the “crosswinds” in the old stadium but Lynagh said it was because of the silence.

The great Charlie Redmond once “commented” to Tony Ward that he could never kick in conditions like that.

It would be a real shame if that “tradition” ever faded away. I know a lot of “newer” fans, the ones who’ve never played the game, tend to whoop and holler during the kicks but they just look like eejits, which they are.

It’s the (relatively) newer fans that adopted it. Watch old Irish rugby games from the 80s and even later and while there isn’t any booing during kicks nor any cheering there’s no deathly silence either. Started in Munster I believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Started in Munster I believe.

The inverse snobbery or the blatant Crumlin bashing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Could they not have been moved to another part of the stadium?
    Unless the home team is competitive, baseball games are poorly attended so there would probably be whole sections unoccupied.

Seems a bit draconian, but that's Canadians for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s the (relatively) newer fans that adopted it. Watch old Irish rugby games from the 80s and even later and while there isn’t any booing during kicks nor any cheering there’s no deathly silence either. Started in Munster I believe.

I’ve been going to games since the mid 80s and can only remember one “instance”, since then, where the crowd “booed” a kick and that was due to a terrible last minute penalty call.

Lynagh was playing from the mid 80s to the mid 90s and he spoke of the “silence” for the kicker in Lansdowne Road.

Maybe in the 70s and early 80s it wasn’t a thing but to call anyone who’s followed since the mid 80s “relatively new” is just plain ridiculous.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

The “silence” for the kick works on two levels. One, it is a mark of respect showing our confidence that we will win without any “messing” and two, it, suddenly, reminds the kicker that the whole stadium is watching them.
    Or it's a contrivance whipped-up by belligerent oafs who have gone to tedious lengths to exaggerate the respect that is somehow inherent to behaving like a herd of overfed bullocks. And later, in Seasons, to bore innocent citizens to tears with louder, ever-louder blow-by-blow accounts of the "consecrated", "eerie" silence that "descended upon the stadium" before the conversion.

But That's None Of My Business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

sugarman wrote: »
    ...FOR CURSING!
    It doesn't matter what it's for. You threaten the fragile ego of an American cop by failing to bow and scrape, and your life is at risk. Especially if you're running around with distribution quantities of melanin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    "Legends"....

Ohh YES...Look how unbelievably satisfied they are with themselves.... the ‘yeah, we’re deadly faces and knee deep in smugness’. A lot to be proud of drenching people in beer and dry cleaning bills who did no more then want to turn up and enjoy a sporting event in a fun, hassle and harassment free environment .... legends and only a bit of crack brigadiers would I’m sure feel different and only delighted to encourage the encounter complete with Facebook videos, bud.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Or it's a contrivance whipped-up by belligerent oafs who have gone to tedious lengths to exaggerate the respect that is somehow inherent to behaving like a herd of overfed bullocks. And later, in Seasons, to bore innocent citizens to tears with louder, ever-louder blow-by-blow accounts of the "consecrated", "eerie" silence that "descended upon the stadium" before the conversion.

Ah now, ATNM, if someone is telling you about the “silence” during a kick after the game it must have been a dire game. The only time the quiet was worth talking about was before the English anthem being played in Croke Park in ‘07.

Did you mean “Searson’s” when you said “Seasons”? If so, it would be remiss of me not to advise you to steer clear of the D4 stretch of pubs after a home international or inter provincial European tie.

You’re, mostly, only going to find the “newer” breed of rugby fan, the ones who thought the Ross O’Carroll-Kelly books were “style guides”.

My advise would, always, be to head towards town via the “Ringsend” route.

You pass a number of decent “boozers” that way, such as “The Merry Cobbler”, “The Vintage Inn”, “John Clarke & Sons” and “The Oarsman”. The further on you move the more room you’ll have in any of those places.

I’d recommend avoid “The Irishtown House”, it’s really more of a “soccer” pub and tends to be frequented by more of a “local” crowd. Just saying.

I’m guessing you’re not a follower of the “egg shaped” ball but if you ever take an interest let me know and we’ll see about getting you to a game to see if we can change that.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

their only crime was that god awful fields of athenry dirge

lawred2 wrote: »
    their only crime was that god awful fields of athenry dirge

A Munster anthem btw, who was on looking for irony earlier?

Strumms wrote: »
    Ohh YES...Look how unbelievably satisfied they are with themselves.... the ‘yeah, we’re deadly faces and knee deep in smugness’. A lot to be proud of drenching people in beer and dry cleaning bills who did no more then want to turn up and enjoy a sporting event in a fun, hassle and harassment free environment .... legends and only a bit of crack brigadiers would I’m sure feel different and only delighted to encourage the encounter complete with Facebook videos, bud.....

Crumlin United Fan ?

I heard the dry cleaners got a bonus this week as well, foooking travesty. Bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    A Munster anthem btw, who was on looking for irony earlier?

Its actually the Athenry in Tyrone theyre singing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

sugarman wrote: »
    A few years ago I went to Giants game in SF and got talking to these 2 lads beside me.. they were mad sound and had a few on them already, asked why I wasnt drinking. Said I didnt have any money. They proceeded to buy me round after round after round $10 a pop! They werent having no for an answer.

Anyway, as the game went on it was getting interesting and tight.. crowd were really into it and these 2 lads were giving it socks.

They were shouting as you would at soccer game over here in or the UK, nothing out of the norm.. nothing too vulgar either.

Aul lad sitting near us is fuming at the lads for "cussing", just the uaual "ah for **** sake" whenever there was a poor hit or catch or whatever.

He tells the lads to stop a few times before going off and getting security, they come down and warn the lads to keep it down.. everyone else around us is booing them.

Game is getting really heated and the Giants have fallen behind, the lads are even more animated at this stage ...but again nothing out of order.

Without much of a warning, theres 2 cops asking the guys to leave. Myself included until I explain I'm not with them. They refuse, saying the paid good money etc.. and they werent being out order, myself and the rest of the crowd testify.

...what happens next? They accuse them of resisting arrest ..even though they werent initially under arrest. Guns out, one lad is getting body slammed and dragged out in cuffs.. other lad then goes peacefully with them.

Im sat there in awe of what just happened, a little shook if anything.. meanwhile the little rat behind me is sniggering saying he warned them enough times.

...FOR CURSING!

I'd had been tempted to whisper something positive about 9/11 into his ear just to fcuk with his head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I like rugby. However the silence is a bore. They’ve taken to ssshing people in pubs now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

For your analogy to be comparable, it would have to be in the 9th inning of the final game of the World Series or playoffs. Most regular season baseball games have fcuk all riding on them due to the sheer number that are played. And each last 3-4 hours with not a lot happening. The crowd often has to make their own fun, usually through excessive drinking of $10 beers. This incident looks completely harmless

Ya but I doubt those lads would know the difference between the 9th inning of a World Series and a cow's fanny.

Ya but I doubt those lads would know the difference between the 9th inning of a World Series and a cow's fanny.

In fairness some of the Ag science students might disagree with you there. Is there not a Veterinary School in UCD also ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved from AH > CA

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Yurt! wrote: »
    Perhaps Canadians don't appreciate drainpipe jeans, crap haircuts, insufferable accents and singing their "anthems" pissed while people are trying to watch baseball. Yeah, I'd find a pretext to kick them out too.

I think we'd know the response if this was Crumlin United getting kicked out of the stadium; ye wouldn't be labeling them 'legends'.

Any shower of priviledged scrotes who turn up to a baseball match in MATCHING OUTFITS...deserve to be shown the door.

Ladism at its worst...aping those British twats who go round in matching tee shirts with stuff like "Dublin Tour 2019" emblazoned on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

UCD commoners. You can’t buy class. That’s why I went to Trinity instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is this really current affairs?

It is if your a baseball fan from Toronto.

Or if you went to Trinity it seems...

Any mention of Crumlin United FC could lead to an automatic ban. It has become tenuous at times. The Op is obviously some sort of shít stirring culchie…. possibly from Munster.

Or if you went to Trinity it seems...

Any mention of Crumlin United FC could lead to an automatic ban. It has become tenuous at times. The Op is obviously some sort of shít stirring culchie…. possibly from Munster.

Na, theres a slight bang of jealousy, OP may not have got the points for architecture in UCD, girlfriend did and dumped him for Gavin in medicine, OP ended up in Dundalk IT doing spoon fabrication.
    Hates life. Blames UCD for his woes.

Na, theres a slight bang of jealousy, OP may not have got the points for architecture in UCD, girlfriend did and dumped him for Gavin in medicine, OP ended up in Dundalk IT doing spoon fabrication.

Your definitely onto something.

I still can't get to the bottom of the Crumlin United analogy though, no pun intended. Are we talking about inverted snobbery, or just a straight out bash of middle incomed southside Dubs? The Op never really specified in fairness.

It definitely tastes like a bad wine however , very " unmorish" undertones,blended with lazy trite thought provocation, with a nasty aftertaste, acidic,

Your definitely onto something.

I still can't get to the bottom of the Crumlin United analogy though, no pun intended. Are we talking about inverted snobbery, or just a straight out bash of middle incomed southside Dubs? The Op never really specified in fairness.

It definitely tastes like a bad wine however , very " unmorish" undertones,blended with lazy trite thought provocation, with a nasty aftertaste, acidic,

Long vitrolic notes on the nose, sour and slightly heady. On the palette, bileous and churning, flavours of suffering. Aftertaste with a ring of pity.

A truly out of date vintage, best served with boiled swede and hogget in Dundalk. This is not one for laying down and keeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Went to 2 higher ranking universities. I eat my chips with aioli, nowhere near my shoulder.

Went to 2 higher ranking universities. I eat my chips with aioli, nowhere near my shoulder.

Cathal Brugha and Kevin St.?

Cathal Brugha and Kevin St.?

Eh, no. Try again. I do enjoy poking fun at the South Dublin set. It's like a crap version of Beverly Hills 90210.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Drunken paddy wasters, right to eject the scum

• Advertisement

Eh, no. Try again. I do enjoy poking fun at the South Dublin set. It's like a crap version of Beverly Hills 90210.

It's all coming out now.

I just feel sorry for the good people of Crumlin United FC if I am honest. Why them ? Why did you feel the need to mire them in your little games?

It's all coming out now.

I just feel sorry for the good people of Crumlin United FC if I am honest. Why them ? Why did you feel the need to mire them in your little games?

Fine club as I stated earlier. Far less likely to get kicked out of stadiums it appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Apparently, the UCD rugby team managed to get themselves ejected from a Toronto Blue Jays / NY Yankees game in Toronto for going full Ross O'Carroll-Kelly. Even Canadian politeness has its limits...

https://uproxx.com/sports/brett-gardner-rugby-players-ejected-blue-jays-yankees-videos/

Were you among the marched OP?

Why the fek is this in CA / IMHO btw?

#freetheUCD1stXV

Fine club as I stated earlier. Far less likely to get kicked out of stadiums it appears.

Or far less likely to travel to Toronto for the summer, that is what your getting at isn't it?

Or far less likely to travel to Toronto for the summer, that is what your getting at isn't it?

Poking fun at their socioeconomic working clas status.

No fear he'd poke fun at a GAA club. And i think we're getting to the nub of it

I dunno, are they? Not up to date as to where the denizens of Crumlin do their holidays.

Poking fun at their socioeconomic working clas status.

No fear he'd poke fun at a GAA club. And i think we're getting to the nub of it

Poking fun at the GAA is another hobby of mine. Gosh, Belfield Polytechnic alumni are a surprisingly precious bunch.

I have only love for my allies in D12.

Poking fun at the GAA is another hobby of mine. Gosh, Belfield Polytechnic alumni are a surprisingly precious bunch.

I have only love for my allies in D12.

Nope, not buying it.

I think the thought of your childhood sweetheart Sinead, getting absolutely drilled by Gavin from Medicine is galling you.
    You'll finish your spoon fabrication QQI Lvl 6 in Dundalk, wait a few years and hopefully do a post grad Belfield IT.

• Advertisement

Nope, not buying it.

I think the thought of your childhood sweetheart Sinead, getting absolutely drilled by Gavin from Medicine is galling you.
    You'll finish your spoon fabrication QQI Lvl 6 in Dundalk, wait a few years and hopefully do a post grad Belfield IT.

If the video from Toronto is the cream of the crop of Belfield, we needn't worry too much about the hypothetical Sinead and the spoon fabricator from Louth's relationship.

We'll be waiting a while before one of that crowd win a nobel prize.

"Yew Cee Dee! Yew Cee Dee! Lowwww liiiiieee the fieelllldhsofathenrtyikdhjdj"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

If the video from Toronto is the cream of the crop of Belfield, we needn't worry too much about the hypothetical Sinead and the spoon fabricator from Louth's relationship.

We'll be waiting a while before one of that crowd win a nobel prize.

"Yew Cee Dee! Yew Cee Dee! Lowwww liiiiieee the fieelllldhsofathenrtyikdhjdj"

That sounds fairly bitter tbh ....

gozunda wrote: »
    That sounds fairly bitter tbh ....

He'll never get a job in the bank with that attitude.

The best and brightest that UCD have sullied the name of the institution abroad and all you can do is attack the messenger. For shame.

I'm sure the President's office and the marketing department are delighted to have dozens of drunk students chanting the name of the college, throwing beer around and getting kicked out of the venue.

Nope, not buying it.

The primordial id of Belfieldian on full display. An imaginged avatar of a collective fragile masculinity having imaginary sex with an imaginary girlfriend of an imagined person from Louth.

There is much to unpack here.

Ad astra indeed

For those Crumlin lads, ad astro
    Merely by happenstance of birth.
    For shame OP.

• Advertisement

The primordial id of Belfieldian on full display. An imaginged avatar of a collective fragile masculinity having imaginary sex with an imaginary girlfriend of an imagined person from Louth.

There is much to unpack here.

Trinners , but a bit protective if you like, of our younger, less prestigious NUI colleagues, lest the proles lift their ruddy faces in our direction.

Hope the security beat the crap of these drunken wasters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    "Legends"....

Idiots who could lose their sponsorship.

Idiots who could lose their sponsorship.

Future captains of industry those lads. Your kids will be sending them their CVs...

Future captains of industry those lads. Your kids will be sending them their CVs...

Bro one these juice heads stop playing their thug sport they will be feeble and brittle. Drunk wasters hope they get deported and bared from the great nation of Canada.

• Advertisement
Advertisement