Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Faugheen wrote: »
    Still don’t understand how a 16 year old child who wants to make the world a better place gets so much guff for it.

Perhaps because she’s forcing people to confront some very uncomfortable truths?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Still don’t understand how a 16 year old child who wants to make the world a better place gets so much guff for it.
    She's now a celeb whether she wants to be or not. That comes with knockdowns.
    Judging by her current demeanour I personally think she should take a timeout from the spotlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Perhaps because she’s forcing people to confront some very uncomfortable truths?

Again, I don’t understand what this means. Can you explain how you imagine she is “forcing” me to confront anything?
    Do you realize that a lot of us who are parents are concerned about what’s quite clearly the open manipulation of a very obviously vulnerable child by her politically motivated parents?
    Equally concerning is that you choose to ignore this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Not by ranting and raving about her lost childhood and nonsense like that
    Had she spoken about climate change and misuse of resources and use of plastics in a clear and concise way she might have influenced me
    I reared three stroppy teens who thought they knew it all until the realised at about 20 that in fact they did not . I don’t take 16 year old teary tantrums seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

If not us then what’s causing it? The ice caps aren’t melting of their own accord. Forests aren’t depleting themselves. Thousands of species aren’t on the verge of extinction for no reason.

it's the way it's been and always will be.
    the world wont' end in 11 years.

the ice age... complete opposite of global warming.
    did the world end? NO. is it still here, are you sitting on it right now? yes.

what happens is, the world CHANGES.
    there's no point in being afraid of this fantasy of the world ending. even if it does, why would you care, you'll be dust along with everyone else.

guess what then - new stuff will happen. not everything will die. maybe it's about time. maybe humans arent the top of the food chain after all.
    maybe sharks and the fish in the sea will survive.

maybe it was their world all along.

i just dont get it. i dont get the hyper-active roaring and screaming about it.
    calm down. it's not like the world is going to explode tomorrow.

as for Irish people being "passionate" about it...? i dont get that at all. i think it's bandwagonry, and weird kind of sh!t, similar to why i question why the fook irish people are obsessed with trump.

it's ridiculous.

there was the OP of another similar thread on this... and you know what their solution to the problem is: forced abortions for all and forced womb removals for women "when they present as pregnant"

What the actual fvck like, seriously.

if you're so concerned about humanity , then why not be a little nicer to actual humans.???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

splinter65 wrote: »
    Again, I don’t understand what this means. Can you explain how you imagine she is “forcing” me to confront anything?
    Do you realize that a lot of us who are parents are concerned about what’s quite clearly the open manipulation of a very obviously vulnerable child by her politically motivated parents?

I don't believe that the child is being manipulated so I am not ignoring your concern, I do not agree with it.

As a parent, I think that you would want your child, and hopefully grandchildren to live in a clean environment with moderate weather events or at the very least, not a significantly decimated environment because of the excess and inaction of previous generations.

How is she displaying backbone and courage? I don’t see it at all I’m afraid. It’s not as if she’s under any threat. It’s clear she’s merely parroting well rehearsed lines written by someone else, the same as any other child actors.
    Where is the bravery?!?

You don't think opening herself up to what must be exceptional levels of abuse because she believes in a cause as being brave?

People were talking about the dangers of the yacht she travelled to the US on, it that was true, was it not brave that she travelled on it for over 2 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

did any of ye see the nutjobs on Claire Byrne live last night?
    they interviewed some mad ould-one and she literally said "THose are our DEMANDS!"

that's terrorism no?

making demands??? who do these deluded nutjobs think they are?
    they swan in from their mansions in Dublin 4 to moan about poor developing countries trying to get a leg up. sickos. sweden loving maniacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It's no different to the way McDonalds use the image of a happy family when advertising their product.

Of course global warming is happening, you can't pump trillions of tonnes of crap into the atmosphere and expect it to have no impact, however the scaremongering is a joke.

Remember after 9/11 how every politician used it to whip people into a frenzy, every news outlet would use it to sell more airtime (family guy Clio with Lois running for mayor comes to mind lol).

I did see a video Greta was featured in about protecting existing forestry and encouraging more which I thought was good, simple message that kids could get their head around, but now it's got a bit daft, and anyone who questions it is instantly lambasted.

And worse of all not a single.one of these protesting/complaining cnuts will actually do anything practical to help, much more fun to virtue signal on Facebook

did any of ye see the nutjobs on Claire Byrne live last night?
    they interviewed some mad ould-one and she literally said "THose are our DEMANDS!"

that's terrorism no?

making demands??? who do these deluded nutjobs think they are?
    they swan in from their mansions in Dublin 4 to moan about poor developing countries trying to get a leg up. sickos. sweden loving maniacs.

No. Terrorism is when the complete acts of terror to try to bring about their demands.

It's petulant, but let's not be overly dramatic in calling it terrorism.

• Advertisement

I don't believe that the child is being manipulated so I am not ignoring your concern, I do not agree with it.

As a parent, I think that you would want your child, and hopefully grandchildren to live in a clean environment with moderate weather events or at the very least, not a significantly decimated environment because of the excess and inaction of previous generations.

You don’t believe she’s being manipulated? You think that yesterday’s performance was spontaneous? Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well theres a lot not to understand there...

Criticism yes. 'Guff' no. Most likley its because she is being used by others. How does ranting about civilisation ending (incorrectly) in 10 years make the world a 'better place'? She has offered no solutions for a 'better place' except demand that all fossil fuels must remain in the ground immediately. And for who will this be a 'better place' exactly? When people are freezing because they can't afford to put on the heating in their homes because of increased carbon taxes? When transport is curtailed so economies go into tailspin and employers are forced to lay off their workforce? She is a teenager who doesn't have a first notion about these issues - except to repeat parrot fashion what she has been told by others. Not surprising there is real criticism tbh.

You don't think opening herself up to what must be exceptional levels of abuse because she believes in a cause as being brave?

People were talking about the dangers of the yacht she travelled to the US on, it that was true, was it not brave that she travelled on it for over 2 weeks?

Brave for a 16 year old is having a disability or illness and trying to live your best life anyway.
    Brave is dealing with a dysfunctional family life and home and trying to live your best life anyway.
    Brave is having suffered a personal tragedy and living your best life anyway.
    Brave is not parroting well rehearsed statements like any other child actress while flanked by security detail at all times.
    I don’t know why you think she’s any “braver” then any other celebrity kids?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

‘She is being used by others’.

So she’s not doing any of this off her own back?

Conspiracy Theories forum is that way ——>

‘She is being used by others’.

So she’s not doing any of this off her own back?

Conspiracy Theories forum is that way ——>

Did she make her own way to NY?

gozunda wrote: »

Criticism yes. 'Guff' no. Most likley its because she is being used by others. How does ranting about civilisation ending (incorrectly) in 10 years make the world a 'better place'? She has offered no solutions for a 'better place' except demand that all fossil fuels must remain in the ground immediately. And for who will this be a 'better place' exactly? When people are freezing because they can't afford to put on the heating in their homes because of increased carbon taxes? When transport is curtailed so economies go into tailspin and employers are forced to lay off their workforce? She is a teenager who doesn't have a first notion about these issues - except to repeat parrot fashion what she has been told by others. Not surprising there is real criticism tbh.

She is saying 'listen to the scientists' Gozunda.

You told yourself have been told this directly at least 10 times on this thread alone at this stage. She offered no statement at the US congress other than to submit the IPCC report from Oct 2018, she referenced that same report in her talk at the UN yesterday.

Why are you ignoring this fact?

Did she make her own way to NY?

Can you point to one individual in history, across the human race who did absolutely everything on their own.
    You're implication that her sailing on someone elses yacht to NY invalidates her argument is nonsense.

What do you think she should have done, swam there? Or cut down a tree, hollowed out the trunk and made a canoe and rowed there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I’m ignoring nothing. I just don’t agree that she’s in any way being manipulated. She’s standing up for what she believes in and trying to get the likes of yourself to stop burying your heads in the sand and pretending everything is a ok when it clearly is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

gozunda wrote: »

Solution? She said listen to the scientist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

YFlyer wrote: »
    Solution? She said listen to the scientist.
    Scientists don't have actual solutions either, just broad brush strokes on a picture that may or may not be complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I’m ignoring nothing. I just don’t agree that she’s in any way being manipulated. She’s standing up for what she believes in and trying to get the likes of yourself to stop burying your heads in the sand and pretending everything is a ok when it clearly is not.

Do you really think a speech like she made yesterday is going to change anyones mind?

It might have gone down a treat with the lads in the room yesterday but it's not them she needs to convince, it's ordinary people around the world that she needs to get on board.

And all they saw yesterday was a kid nearly having a temper tantrum and talking rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Why do you think I’m burying my head in the sand!? What have I said that leads you to believe that?
    It seems to be the case that for you it’s yet another example of left wing lunacy.
    If I’m not a fan of the Greta cult then I’m a climate change denier.
    Can you not see how stupid that is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

We are all manipulated in some fashion. She’s only 16. If she was an older environmentalist she would have the sense to know that the minute you join the popular - famous or influential the good work you’re doing takes a back seat and all you now offer is sound bites - attend pointless meetings and post selfies to legions of faceless followers. Most real activists or environmentalists shun the limelight as they know it will distract them from their main goals - protecting the planet and improving our communities. Greta should be forgiven as she’s only a kid caught up in the stardom of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I find it pathetic and laughable how so many seemingly rational thinking adults who should know better are getting so offended over a young girl with more backbone than all of them out together.

Climate Change is real, it’s happening before our eyes and I commend Greta for having the courage to do what we all should have been doing long before now.

After all if we don’t start making changes and taking seriously the threat we pose to our planet it is Greta’s own the generations after her that will suffer.

What should we all have been doing long before now? Make speeches to the UN? Doubt they would have given many individuals such a platform.

And what changes do people need to make on a personal level to stop future generations "suffering"? People always seem to preach the need for change but don't expand on what they want us to do.

Do you really think a speech like she made yesterday is going to change anyones mind?

It might have gone down a treat with the lads in the room yesterday but it's not them she needs to convince, it's ordinary people around the world that she needs to get on board.

And all they saw yesterday was a kid nearly having a temper tantrum and talking rubbish.

I'd say the 4M people who marched last week are indicative as to how many around the world feel about the problem.

Can you point to one individual in history, across the human race who did absolutely everything on their own.
    You're implication that her sailing on someone elses yacht to NY invalidates her argument is nonsense.

What do you think she should have done, swam there? Or cut down a tree, hollowed out the trunk and made a canoe and rowed there?

Faugheen one minute you are saying that she has done all this “off her own bat”. Next minute you are contradicting yourself. Can you make up your mind?

What should we all have been doing long before now? Make speeches to the UN? Doubt they would have given many individuals such a platform.

And what changes do people need to make on a personal level to stop future generations "suffering"? People always seem to preach the need for change but don't expand on what they want us to do.

God yeah, if only they had said something like 'Listen to the scientists', 'do whatever needs to be done to keep the global temperature rise as low as possible'.....

• Advertisement

Faugheen one minute you are saying that she has done all this “off her own bat”. Next minute you are contradicting yourself. Can you make up your mind?

Wrong name, or wrong quote, or something.

Jibberish mainly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement