Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

SJW Lover wrote: »
    Sorry, if you are attending the UN and speaking about major global issues then people can comment. And, if they disagree with what she is saying, they can say that too. Of course, your reaction above is exactly why this child is being utilised in this way.

Commentary is fine. But that takes a bit of brain power.

Hurling abusive nonsense at a 16 year old kid because she pulled some stunt to raise a conversation about a topic she cares about is just people being twats.

If this tread is anything to go by, what passes for "commentary" these days leaves a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

is_that_so wrote: »
    Scientists don't have actual solutions either, just broad brush strokes on a picture that may or may not be complete.

More complete if gets implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

What should we all have been doing long before now? Make speeches to the UN? Doubt they would have given many individuals such a platform.

And what changes do people need to make on a personal level to stop future generations "suffering"? People always seem to preach the need for change but don't expand on what they want us to do.

God yeah, if only they had said something like 'Listen to the scientists', 'do whatever needs to be done to keep the global temperature rise as low as possible'.....

What would scientists like people to do on an individual level? Clearly more needs to be done on government and big business levels, just curious as to what I need to do to stop future generations suffering?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

She is saying 'listen to the scientists' Gozunda. You told yourself have been told this directly at least 10 times on this thread alone at this stage. She offered no statement at the US congress other than to submit the IPCC report from Oct 2018, she referenced that same report in her talk at the UN yesterday. Why are you ignoring this fact?

I've "told myself" - have I?

And yet she is evidently not listening to the scientists. What gives?

To paraphrase - You yourself have been told this directly at least 10 times on this thread alone at this stage. With quoted examples. And you keep ignoring that she is repeating this type of rubbish ad nauseam in her videos and speeches which at best is hogwash based on fear and scare. She also told the gathering at the UN - that they have stolen her childhood - hardly a basis for a rational scientific argument is it?

Why are you ignoring these facts and have unrealistically placed this teenager on a pedestal of your own making?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

Tony EH wrote: »

Hurling abusive nonsense at a 16 year old kid because she pulled some stunt to raise a conversation about a topic she cares about is just people being twats.

If this tread is anything to go by, what passes for "commentary" these days leaves a lot to be desired.

you see when people come out with this tripe it instantly lets me know that they are not exactly intelligent.

brainwashed.

this so-called child is a puppet being used by adults on the world stage so that nobody will feel OK about challenging her outbursts.

i dont believe she is 16. i believe she is an adult made out to be a child.
    she has marionette lines ffs. women only get those in their 40s...

• Advertisement

US2 wrote: »

A bit of traffic to his sites to supplement his vitamin pill business.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

YFlyer wrote: »
    More complete if gets implemented.
    What gets implemented?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Wrong name, or wrong quote, or something.

Jibberish mainly.

You responded to my retort to faugheens remark that Greta was doing this off her own bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Right wing mouthpiece Fox news has just apologised after one of it's guests called Greta a "mentally ill Swedish child". They apologised for the "disgraceful" remark and say they have no plans to book him again in future

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/sep/24/fox-news-greta-thunberg-michael-knowles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Are you serious? You're going on about her being a woman in her 40's in a couple of threads, here...

I hope that's meant to be some kind of parody/joke - as it genuinely comes off as being mentally unhinged.

• Advertisement

Can you point to one individual in history, across the human race who did absolutely everything on their own.
    You're implication that her sailing on someone elses yacht to NY invalidates her argument is nonsense. What do you think she should have done, swam there? Or cut down a tree, hollowed out the trunk and made a canoe and rowed there?

A simple Video connection? No need to reinvent the wheel is there now ...

What would scientists like people to do on an individual level? Clearly more needs to be done on government and big business levels, just curious as to what I need to do to stop future generations suffering?
    It's one of those hard questions that stops conversations on this topic, largely because people have not thought that far nor even considered it. We do have a plan, flawed as it may be, but it has targets and apparently ways to achieve them. A little more of that all round would make for eminently more sensible discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Right wing mouthpiece Fox news has just apologised after one of it's guests called Greta a "mentally ill Swedish child". They apologised for the "disgraceful" remark and say they have no plans to book him again in future

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/sep/24/fox-news-greta-thunberg-michael-knowles

She is a swedish child with a mental illness?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

gozunda wrote: »

Why did Leo or Johnson, or Merkel travel over so?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

you see when people come out with this tripe it instantly lets me know that they are not exactly intelligent.

brainwashed.

this so-called child is a puppet being used by adults on the world stage so that nobody will feel OK about challenging her outbursts.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭optogirl

ASD is not classified as mental illness. It is a developmental disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The 5 countries they targeted are those who have ratified the UN charter on the rights of the child. China, amongst others, has not, so they were excluded.

I'd say the 4M people who marched last week are indicative as to how many around the world feel about the problem.
    A whole lot were kids and while it was great that they did, marches really don't have much effect on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

brainwashed.

Jaysus so this is where they are dwelling these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I work remote a lot.. but for important meetings where possible I like to be in the room. So many connection issues / its just not the same imo.

Maybe she feels the same.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    What gets implemented?

Cut back on fossil fuels and use alternatives. No till or low till cultivation be two steps.

Some info on her twitter regarding this..

Not my area so might be worth you following her.

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1176525238206640136?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Here's what he said: “If it were about science it would be led by scientists rather than by politicians and a mentally ill Swedish child who is being exploited by her parents and by the international left,”

The far right are very misunderstood in this case, they genuinely care about the parenting of this child, her clear mental disability and her exploitation by the far left. Oh yes and something about the climate. But the real issue is this girl, this annoying mentally ill Swedish girl

Why did Leo or Johnson, or Merkel travel over so?

Did they "swim there? Or cut down a tree, hollowed out the trunk and made a canoe and rowed there? " as was in the post I was replying to or see you just ignoring that bit?

But you say they sailed in a millionaires yacht as well? Must have been cosy ... I never knew .... ;)

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I work remote a lot.. but for important meetings where possible I like to be in the room. So many connection issues / its just not the same imo.
    Maybe she feels the same.

That was in response to the previous posters wail of "what was she supposed to do"

Btw she is not in employment or work. She was invited as a guest. So no she is not an official or governmental attendee. She didn't want to fly? Fine. Use a video link. Simple. The whole circus wouldnt have attracted so much attention - but maybe that's what some wanted ...

That was in response to the previous posters wail of "what was she supposed to do"

Btw she is not in employment or work.

Even for meetings outside of work I like to be in the room if possible. Personal thing though. No right or wrong.

The UN climate summit, personally I'd probably try to be in the room. YMMV.

Think wailing on about how she got there is becoming tiring at this stage ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

splinter65 wrote: »
    Can you point to one individual in history, across the human race who did absolutely everything on their own.
    You're implication that her sailing on someone elses yacht to NY invalidates her argument is nonsense.

What do you think she should have done, swam there? Or cut down a tree, hollowed out the trunk and made a canoe and rowed there?

Faugheen one minute you are saying that she has done all this “off her own bat”. Next minute you are contradicting yourself. Can you make up your mind?
    Unless you’re accusing me of sock puppetting then you have your wires crossed their chief.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Even for meetings outside of work I like to be in the room if possible. Personal thing though. No right or wrong. The UN climate summit, personally I'd probably try to be in the room. YMMV.

Use video conferencing regularly and its absolutely fine. Quicker and more economical than flying or taking a sailboat with a full crew half way around the world. Obviously my PR agent doesn't think so ...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Tony EH wrote: »

brainwashed.

Sounds like you’re the brainwashed one.

Absolutely laughable stuff here from someone who refuses to accept what’s in front of them and gets offended by a teenager telling it like it is.

• Advertisement

Use video conferencing regularly and its absolutely fine. Quicker and more economical than flying or taking a sailboat with a full crew half way around the world. Obviously my PR agent doesn't think so ...

I guess they don't. Maybe someday they will.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement