Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

SJW Lover wrote: »
    What does Fox News have to do with you insulting me?

Didn't insult you. I expressed an opinion on your ability to understand the topic.

I'm sorry if you felt insulted by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

She's talking crap. Engaging in soundbites

Have you listened to Trumps campaign speeches?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1176284552387538949

Fox News issued an apology afterwards for the behaviour of the guest in suggesting Greta was mentally ill.

I hope a lot of the people here take note of that, even the ultra conservative Fox News doesn't have time for that nonsense argument.

https://twitter.com/michaeljknowles/status/1176296138212724736

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Eh, no..

Eh yes.

Its OK not to know why she didn't. You know now.
    We are all learning every day, nothing to be ashamed of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

Didn't insult you. I expressed an opinion on your ability to understand the topic.

I'm sorry if you felt insulted by that.

Crikey you're a fool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

David Attenborough isn't going to have to live with the consequences, it really is more pertinent for Greta to be getting aggrieved at this.

Doesn't mean he doesn't care. He has a lifetime of experience and well respected. I'd prefer someone with a reasoned approach rather than scowls and a hissy fit.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Have you listened to Trumps campaign speeches?

Yes.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Eh yes.

Eh, no.

Doesn't mean he doesn't care. He has a lifetime of experience and well respected. I'd prefer someone with a reasoned approach rather than scowls and a hissy fit.

Plus he's someone who has some expertise in this field or at least in related fields. What are Greta's qualifications in this area? Any published papers i can have a look at? :)

Yes.

He's talking crap. Engaging in soundbites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Do you really think a speech like she made yesterday is going to change anyones mind?

It might have gone down a treat with the lads in the room yesterday but it's not them she needs to convince, it's ordinary people around the world that she needs to get on board.

And all they saw yesterday was a kid nearly having a temper tantrum and talking rubbish.

Exactly she seems to be mostly preaching to the choir - climate change events etc.
    Sure they are going to lap it up. It is like a politician at thier own Árd Fheis.

It is other people's mind she has to change and she is not going to convince people by going into hysterical rants.
    Granted, she might feel good doing it.
    But the average fella like me will eventually tune out.

I only heard of the girl in the last few weeks or so because of boards.
    Who? Then looked it up.
    Never took any notice.
    Then I heard a bit on the radio this morning and it sounded really silly. Really OTT actor's at the oscars type stuff.
    If I hear her now on the radio it will be off switch no thanks.

And before anyone says oh 'it is because she is a young girl' and all this type of jazz.
    Not true, once I hear 'Bono and Africa' mentioned in a sentence - my reaction is I am not listening to that fecking eejit talk about Africa. And change the channel. Same reaction now when I words 'Thunberg and Climate' together in a sentence.
    I will know better in future.
    Why would you want to listen to someone rant and rave incoherently? And/Or attempt to preech about something they are not an expert in?
    You could go to the pub to hear that and at least you would get a drink.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭randd1

Eh, no. The point remains. Not going after India or China means her crusade is entirely pointless. Your heart strings were plucked by this kid. Manipulated. Mission accomplished.

The US too. Or practically the whole of Europe.

She's a sweet kid with a wish for the world to be better, and is willing to do what she can to make it happen. Good for her, more power to her, and fair play to her for having the guts that many adults wouldn't show.

But it would be exceptionally naïve in the extreme to not cop on that there's people behind her pushing an agenda, even if in it's ideal is for the greater good.

The problem isn't with Greta, it's with those behind her. The want us to stop harming the planet, they want us to reverse the damage. Decent goals it has to be said.

But how?

Everyone turn vegan? Never going to happen, we're an omnivorous species after all, and most of us tend to have little food.
    Use renewable resources? The wind farms that churn out millions of tonnes of emissions in their productions? The dams that raise the salt levels in rivers killing the eco-systems in them? Other form of renewable energy, all of whom have to be backed up by coal/gas in case the conditions aren't right? They do untold damage in themselves.

There's no plan in place to tackle mans influence on the climate or eco-system. Reduce emissions, input carbon taxes, these measures do nothing.

And even if we somehow came up with the technologies or thinking or way of life that helped managed mans input, do we ignore the role nature is playing in climate change, a role far more significant than man could ever play?

All we're getting are speeches on what we've done wrong. When are the prophets of doom who are demanding action going to give us solutions?

Until then the likes of Greta, for all her good work, it simply means their crusade, ultimately, is pointless.

He's talking crap. Engaging in soundbites

So that means Greta is right? Great logic.

Plus he's someone who has some expertise in this field or at least in related fields. What are Greta's qualifications in this area? Any published papers i can have a look at? :)

Does Attenborough have peer review published papers?

Eh, no.

Eh.. Haha.

Good luck with the complaining buddy.

So that means Greta is right? Great logic.

Does it meant he is right?

Does Attenborough have peer review published papers?

Attenborough is a conservationist and a patron of the World Land Trust which raises funds to save rain forests etc. Hence my referring to his being involved in related fields. You should have a try at google. It's a great website.

Eh.. Haha.

Good luck with the complaining buddy.

Haha from someone who isnt laughing is just sad. Good luck with hanging on the words of a manipulated kid. You fool.

Does it meant he is right?

Who meant what?

You fool.

That's not very nice. This is all getting to you clearly so I'll let it slide :)

• Advertisement

That's not very nice. This is all getting to you clearly so I'll let it slide :)

You do that :) run along now. There will be a new fad coming soon ;)

You do that :) run along now.

I'll keep posting. I'm interested in it. Learning new things.

You are obviously not.

Attenborough is a conservationist and a patron of the World Land Trust which raises funds to save rain forests etc. Hence my referring to his being involved in related fields. You should have a try at google. It's a great website.

Science doesn't depend on personality. Greta said listen to the scientist.

Who meant what?

Eh Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yes. The IPCC report from 8th October, 2018.
    Knock yourself out.

That is what she is using to justify her views after all.

Yes. The IPCC report from 8th October, 2018.
    Knock yourself out.

That is what she is using to justify her views after all.

Was new to me till lately, makes for some interesting reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

KyussB wrote: »
    The Green New Deal. Massive and varied Green infrastructure project in the US, with variations of the same GND policy being pushed throughout the western world.

In my view, the GND doesn't go far enough - but it's a start and shows that it is simply not true, that there are no solutions presented.

The solutions like that, just get decryed as 'Communism' by Libertarian/oil-oligarch think-tank puppets (in this very thread, posters are literally citing Exxon Mobil as an authority).

I think I’m beginning to get it. You like the green new deal. Pity it is never going to happen. The likes of AOC will be back to serving coffee once they next US elections take place. Numerous polls have her decimated.

I'll keep posting. I'm interested in it. Learning new things.

You are obviously not.

I've learnt you are an easily manipulated person. Let me find a 15 year old to convince you of that :)

Science doesn't depend on personality. Greta said listen to the scientist.

Why should i listen to Greta?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I find it pathetic and laughable how so many seemingly rational thinking adults who should know better are getting so offended over a young girl with more backbone than all of them out together.

Climate Change is real, it’s happening before our eyes and I commend Greta for having the courage to do what we all should have been doing long before now.

After all if we don’t start making changes and taking seriously the threat we pose to our planet it is Greta’s own the generations after her that will suffer.

You commend Greta for stomping her feet bf throwing tantrum after tantrum? Because that is literally all she has done. That and refused to go to school or get a job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement