Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

SJW Lover wrote: »
    I've learnt you are an easily manipulated person. Let me find a 15 year old to convince you of that :)

You don't know me at all so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,795 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think I’m beginning to get it. You like the green new deal. Pity it is never going to happen. The likes of AOC will be back to serving coffee once they next US elections take place. Numerous polls have her decimated.

Have you "got" climate change yet? You were struggling this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    they own the platform, they can do what they will with it, all media is censored and controlled, we dont have freedom of press or freedom of speech, its not our reality

They wouldn't be allowed to refuse black people because they're black, or infringe on any other human right, which freedom of expression is one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

Yes. The IPCC report from 8th October, 2018.
    Knock yourself out.

That is what she is using to justify her views after all.

You mean the report written by 19 people, none of which are Greta? I think you might need to knock yourself out :pac:

You commend Greta for stomping her feet bf throwing tantrum after tantrum? Because that is literally all she has done. That and refused to go to school or get a job.

She has upset the braindead climate change deniers and made their childish tantrums and absolute terror of actual science hilarious viewing for anyone with an education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Plus he's someone who has some expertise in this field or at least in related fields. What are Greta's qualifications in this area? Any published papers i can have a look at? :)

She's 16. Probably wouldn't have much publications to her name.
    Great to see young people stirring it up a bit though.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    You don't know me at all so.

You're nothing but useful fodder.

tigerboon wrote: »
    She's 16. Probably wouldn't have much publications to her name.
    Great to see young people stirring it up a bit though.

So, zero qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Why should i listen to Greta?

Because age has warranted invitations from the EU, UN, US Congress and HoC amongst others to communicate her message.

Because she has won numerous awards for her efforts.

Because she has been nominated for a Nobel prize for efforts.

Because she motivated 4M people to March on a single day calling for action on the climate.

Because her message is supported by renowned climate change commentators.

Because she is simply saying listen to the scientists.

Are these enough reasons for you?
    If not, why not?

You're nothing but useful fodder.

Again with the personal insults. Maybe cool it with them.

• Advertisement

Because age has warranted invitations from the EU, UN, US Congress and HoC amongst others to communicate her message.

Because she has won numerous awards for her efforts.

Because she has been nominated for a Nobel prize for efforts.

Because she motivated 4M people to March on a single day calling for action on the climate.

Because her message is supported by renowned climate change commentators.

Because she is simply saying listen to the scientists.

Are these enough reasons for you?
    If not, why not?

No, they're not actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

ill be practical here and honest and state that nothing this kid does or says will change anything.

shes being pushed to do this by parents and others with their own agendas.

dies sge really think that oil companues are going to stop drilling because she stamped her foot?
    shes a 16yo kid and nothing she says or does will change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

So, zero qualifications.

She's 16. Probably not yet. I didn't at 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Why should i listen to Greta?

Listen to the scientist.

No, they're not actually.

Well, that's your prerogative. It doesn't make sense, but have the right to ignore facts should you choose to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'd say the 4M people who marched last week are indicative as to how many around the world feel about the problem.

You could organise a strike against pretty much anything that gave school kids a day off and they’d be out in force.

We want lemonade in our taps instead of water. Strike!!

We need Love Island on all year round. Strike!!

In fairness to those pulling St Gretas strings, the guy who came up with the ‘school strike’ was onto something. An immediate innocent rent a crowd who’d be buzzing for a day off school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

I think I’m beginning to get it. You like the green new deal. Pity it is never going to happen. The likes of AOC will be back to serving coffee once they next US elections take place. Numerous polls have her decimated.
    Sanders is pushing the GND and it's becoming mainstream over the entire western world.

The watershed has already happened.

You could organise a strike against pretty much anything that gave school kids a day off and they’d be out in force.

In fairness to those pulling St Gretas strings, the guy who came up with the ‘school strike’ was onto something. An immediate innocent rent a crowd who’d be buzzing for a day off school.

Cool. Why don't you organise something so and see how many you get. You pick the topic. I don't care how ridiculous it sounds to me, let's see how much interest you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,497 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is this the end of Greta now? I mean, she’s made her point...

Is it a case of get off the stage now, love?

walshb wrote: »

Do you speak to people like that without a keyboard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

walshb wrote: »
    Is this the end of Greta now? I mean, she’s made her point...

Who knows either way I hope she is looked after once they have stopped using her.

Some of the comments she made would lead me to believe she might have a hard time accepting policy over the next few years .

Cool. Why don't you organise something so and see how many you get. You pick the topic. I don't care how ridiculous it sounds to me, let's see how much interest you get.

Not a fear any of those "upset" over Greta will do a damn thing that doesnt involve a keyboard :pac:

Calhoun wrote: »
    Who knows either way I hope she is looked after

I think she is fine, even has endorsements from the president of the USA in her twitter bio

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

She won't like 2020 don't think the whole left flank of Boards will either.

I think she is fine, even has endorsements from the president of the USA in her twitter bio

Her PR team have the endorsement you mean. She is on the spectrum so may not adjust or be adjusting to the current popularity. It will have an impact long after the cameras are gone.

Calhoun wrote: »

Her PR team have the endorsement you mean. She is on the spectrum so may not adjust or be adjusting to the current popularity. It will have an impact long after the cameras are gone.

No the president specially spoke of her. Fantastic endorsement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Fair point !! Not the majority I imagine

I stand by it. There is zero evidence that humans have an effect on climate change. There are theories, projections and consensus. But no actual evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Didnt know who this kid was before today until someone in the job showed me a pic from one of the papers.

Veruca Salt came to mind straightal away.

No the president specially spoke of her. Fantastic endorsement

I mean if only all neurological and development disorders could be solved with speaking to a president. The man must have Jesus like powers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

I remember striking for teacher's pay when I was younger, I'm sure some might also remember this.

I normally find myself agreeing with you; but your statement earlier about zero evidence for man made climate change...

I guess you would argue co2 has little effect on our climate?
    An enhanced greenhouse effect from CO2 has been confirmed by multiple lines of empirical evidence. Satellite measurements of infrared spectra over the past 40 years observe less energy escaping to space at the wavelengths associated with CO2. Surface measurements find more downward infrared radiation warming the planet's surface. This provides a direct, empirical causal link between CO2 and global warming.

Not only that, but it is also a simple experiment to demonstrate in a lab, the heat-trapping effects of co2, h2o, ch4, etc..
    The amount of warming caused by the anthropogenic increase in atmospheric CO2 may be one of the most misunderstood subjects in climate science. Many people think the anthropogenic warming can't be quantified, many others think it must be an insignificant amount. However, climate scientists have indeed quantified the anthropogenic contribution to global warming using empirical observations and fundamental physical equations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement