Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Will be interesting to see the pact of the strikes on the up and coming election. Will the kids be able to sway their parents to vote for parties focused on the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I stand by it. There is zero evidence that humans have an effect on climate change. There are theories, projections and consensus. But no actual evidence.

The absorption of Infra red radiation by carbon dioxide molecules, among others, is well known. It is a necessary process for keeping temperature stable on our planet. The so called " greenhouse effect"
    It is perfectly reasonable that increasing levels of CO2 will affect the greenhouse effect and therefore have an impact on global climate. The evidence for this is well established.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd say the 4M people who marched last week are indicative as to how many around the world feel about the problem.

You are missing the point I was making, she was preaching to the converted as regards those 4M, it's the other couple of billion people that need to be brought on board.

Shouting at them ain't gonna do it.

Slapping carbon taxes on folks isn't really the way to go either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

rafatoni wrote: »
    Didnt know who this kid was before today until someone in the job showed me a pic from one of the papers.

Veruca Salt came to mind straightal away.

Says more about you than anything else, she's been very present in news for 12 months.

Was the power in the basement gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

France certainly has taught us this lesson :eek:
    Nearly a full year now of protests?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

pjohnson wrote: »
    Have you "got" climate change yet? You were struggling this morning.

No struggle here. I know what climate change is. It’s been happening since the start of time and will continue until the end of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Calhoun wrote: »
    I mean if only all neurological and development disorders could be solved with speaking to a president. The man must have Jesus like powers.

Solved? I meant with them she is doing great! Better than most of us! As has been confirmed by many.

She has upset the braindead climate change deniers and made their childish tantrums and absolute terror of actual science hilarious viewing for anyone with an education.

I haven't seen one post denying climate change. Could you point one out?

KyussB wrote: »
    Sanders is pushing the GND and it's becoming mainstream over the entire western world.

The watershed has already happened.

Sanders has as much chance of getting into the White House as his namesake of KFC fame.

Cool. Why don't you organise something so and see how many you get. You pick the topic. I don't care how ridiculous it sounds to me, let's see how much interest you get.

I’ve a job and ****. Don’t have that black and white laser focus that being on the spectrum apparently gives you.

• Advertisement

This
    There is zero evidence that humans have an effect on climate change. There are theories, projections and consensus. But no actual evidence.

Here's one which has no basis in reality.
    Sorry but you are talking nonsense. There is zero evidence, never mind irrefutable, that humans have any effect on climate change. Many theories, many projections, but zero actual evidence of a link.

I’ve a job and ****. Don’t have that black and white laser focus that being on the spectrum apparently gives you.

Cool. So it's just talk and whataboutery then. That's me convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,795 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You're own post as pointed out twice above welly.

This

I acknowledged climate change in that post. I said there was no evidence of humans effecting it. Duolingo is good for reading comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Hilarious!

I wouldn't agree with him on his whole denial of climate change though, but it's a funny video

Here's one which has no basis in reality.

Again, I never denied climate change. Wanna try again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

KyussB wrote: »
    I think I’m beginning to get it. You like the green new deal. Pity it is never going to happen. The likes of AOC will be back to serving coffee once they next US elections take place. Numerous polls have her decimated.
    Sanders is pushing the GND and it's becoming mainstream over the entire western world.

The watershed has already happened.

I’m not surprised seeing how it’s not going to cost taxpayers a penny. The government can just shake the magic money tree and roll over the debt without having to spend a cent in tax on servicing it.
    Isn’t that what you believe?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

You are missing the point I was making, she was preaching to the converted as regards those 4M, it's the other couple of billion people that need to be brought on board.

Shouting at them ain't gonna do it.

This is where it gets interesting, FG are doing slightly worse than FF right now but if wager they are even due to margin of error.

If taxes come hard and fast in the budget, it will effectively whitewash FF reputation, you only have to see the local elections to see how it turned out.

Will the kids get the message across to their parents we shall see.

I acknowledged climate change in that post. I said there was no evidence of humans effecting it. Duolingo is good for reading comprehension.

But I and another poster supplied evidence that humans are having an effect in the last few posts.

Do you dispute this evidence in someway? I'd appreciate if you address the point.

posts #3511 and #3513

• Advertisement

You're own post as pointed out twice above welly.

I queried human impact on it, but definitely didn’t deny climate change. Seems people only see what they wanna see.

But I and another poster supplied evidence that humans are having an effect in the last few posts.

Do you dispute this evidence in someway? I'd appreciate if you address the point.

Equations aren’t evidence. They are theories. There might be a consensus on those theories, but it is not evidence.

I queried human impact on it, but definitely didn’t deny climate change. Seems people only see what they wanna see.

Or what the scientists are telling them with demonstrable data.

Whats your frame of reference?

Yes like you denying anything actual scientists tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Says more about you than anything else, she's been very present in news for 12 months.

Was the power in the basement gone?

Power is most definitely on, season 6 to be exact. Ghost on top of his game as always.

Equations aren’t evidence. They are theories. There might be a consensus on those theories, but it is not evidence.
    An enhanced greenhouse effect from CO2 has been confirmed by multiple lines of empirical evidence
    Source

Its far more than equations. Its satellite data from space saying the earth is reflecting decreasing amounts of wavelengths of energy associated with CO2, which means co2 is trapping wavelengths of light.

Also the radiation down to the planet from the atmosphere is increasing.

Not only this but the increased CO2 in the atmosphere allows the atmosphere to become 'wetter' this extra h20 has an ever larger effect on trapping heat.

Would you dispute the levels of co2 that have bee on the increase since the industrial era, or would you not attribute them to being 'mad-made'? It seems the people most in disagreement here would argue that the extra co2 is not a result of humans, which quite frankly I find ridiculous.

You can prove me wrong also here.. I'm no expert. Its difficult to sort the facts from the myths in this debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If you belong to the Church of Left Wing then either you’re 100% on board with the Cult of Greta or you’re a climate change denier.
    It’s replaced being a catholic in the Catholic Church years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

A - She has said people must listen to, empower and act on the advice of scientists. (Why is this so difficult to understand?)

We may all take note of the advice of scientists. But we should also be aware of how scientists and academics offering advice are funded. Sexy topics like 'climate change' without doubt attract funding bursaries. There are businesses out there looking to develop whole new markets based on solutions that offer alternatives to 'climate change'. Even researchers directly employed by states have a duty towards their employers. So I find it hard to take everything they say, at face value. Doubtless there is change, we can see that about us, but I don't think anyone can predict the ramifications. When I hear people pronouncing that the sea will reach Ranelagh or wherever in Dublin, my bull**** filter comes on.

Don't hear many suggesting that we use less energy, make do with less. The emphasis seems to on looking for different ways to generate more.

By way, not sure you gave your views on this: http://www.dublinarray.com/index.html

That'll test the real resolve of many of our capital's residents who are concerned about use of excessive fossil fuels, the view from Killiney Hill will be marred. http://www.saveourseafront.net/dubli...-proposal.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It's funny how everyone is falling over themselves about this girl, Ethiopia broke a record by planting 350million trees in one day but you won't see the celebrities falling I've themselves to congratulate this. Or what about the green wall they are planting across Africa? Any Irish press mentioning this? Naaaaa sell more papers screaming about the world ending.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    If you belong to the Church of Left Wing then either you’re 100% on board with the Cult of Greta or you’re a climate change denier.
    It’s replaced being a catholic in the Catholic Church years ago.

So only "the Church of Left Wing" can comprehend basic established science?

Interesting you admit those on the right struggle with education. Thats why Greta terrifies them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement