Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,747 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    You’re the one claiming I’m wrong. The burden is on you to tell me exactly how I’m wrong so I can argue back and if my argument is unsustainable, I’ll have to adjust my position. I’m genuinely interested in being proved wrong if I am in fact wrong.

This is a discussion forum is it not?

You expressed an opinion, you did not state a fact, if you had, then the burden would be on me to counter.

That not withstanding, his determination of Greta being mentally ill is baseless and is an uncouth reference to her aspergers, which many people have without identifying as or being referred to as mentally ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Tony EH wrote: »
    If you can't understand why this:

“If this were about science, it would be led by scientists and not by a mentally ill Swedish girl who is being exploited by her parents and the international left.”

is a cheap political statement, then I can't help you.

People are not attacking Knowles for making a “cheap political statement”. People make cheap political statements all the time on American news shows 24-7. Rarely are people banned for them.

People are saying Knowles made a vicious personal attack on Thunberg using her mental illness as a club. “Cheap political statement” is a moderate descriptor of such a charge.

I didn’t attack her in the original statement. He re-emphasized this when the other guy was having a hissy fit.

You’ve quoted the statement. He doesn’t attack her in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Tony EH wrote: »
    Her point, I presume, is to create a conversation on a topic she cares about.

So what. Why is that such an attack on you? Her "listen to the scientists" is an ok statement. Her "my childhood has been taken away - how dare you" is a statement that she doesn't really want to be doing this, but feels the need to do so. Irrespective of whether she's right or wrong to feel that way, it still shouldn't matter to you.

Unknot your knickers and get over it.

I thought she wanted to create the conversation?
    A conversation which draws people in.
    Well now I am in that conversation
    I am just giving my opinion. I think she is just as annoying as Bono talking about Africa.

I feel that her OTT statements like 'my childhood has been taken away' and 'how dare you' take away from her 'listen to the scientists' comment one is hyperbolic (childhood taken away) and the other is preachy in the extreme (how dare you).
    Plus the delivery was way over the top, which took away from any point she was making
    Just because someone can fuck or drive, it doesn't mean they're an adult.

Really?
    So you think Swedish law considers that they have on sense of responsibly given those rights age 15 and 16 respectively?
    Fair enough.

--

Anyway I won't be listening to any more Greta and her statements with no substance to them - just noise. It will be the equivalent of an on my ignore list.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

People are not attacking Knowles for making a “cheap political statement”. ... He doesn’t attack her in it.

You think Knowles is being "attacked"?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,183 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''You have stolen my dreams, my childhood''

It does reek of someone brainwashed into thinking that every bad thing in her life up to now is someone else's fault. Trump maybe, China.
    Should look closer to home if her childhood was stolen from her.

• Advertisement

Anyway I won't be listening to any more Greta and her statements with no substance to them - just noise. It will be the equivalent of an on my ignore list.

Be honest, you weren't listening to them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

pjohnson wrote: »
    So only "the Church of Left Wing" can comprehend basic established science?

Interesting you admit those on the right struggle with education. Thats why Greta terrifies them.

You can’t even comprehend basic English pjohnson, never mind basic science.
    That’s why you’ve given such such a stupid response to my post.
    Nobody is “terrified”of Greta.
    It’s sad to me that you, an adult, need to so badly want other adults to be afraid of a vulnerable teenage girl in order to express your frustration with your own limitations.

''You have stolen my dreams, my childhood''

It does reek of someone brainwashed into thinking that every bad thing in her life up to now is someone else's fault. Trump maybe, China.
    Should look closer to home if her childhood was stolen from her.

She did start her protest at home did she not?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,342 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I feel that her OTT statements like 'my childhood has been taken away' and 'how dare you' take away from her 'listen to the scientists' comment one is hyperbolic (childhood taken away) and the other is preachy in the extreme (how dare you).
    Plus the delivery was way over the top, which took away from any point she was making

I don't care what you "feel".
    Really?
    So you think Swedish law considers that they have on sense of responsibly given those rights age 15 and 16 respectively?
    Fair enough.

This sentence doesn't make sense.

Good for you. ;)

Yep she did. She started really close to home. BorneTobyWilde will be glad to hear!

• Advertisement

Even Ryan Tubridy is having a go at her.

On his radio show on Tuesday morning, Tubridy wondered aloud if Thunberg was "being minded properly," and baselessly speculated of her UN speech yesterday that "the words were so impassioned and so mature and so adult and so accusatory that it didn't feel like it could have come from her own pen !"
    ''The world should press pause on Thunberg and send her home, where her scary stories can't bother us anymore!! and the world can go on as before.
    "She should be brought home, watch a movie, go for a walk !!''

But Sweden has a recycle rate of 99% and are at the front of the Climate Change battle. She can't have a problem with that.

Right there buddy.

What, you disagree? Well, you have your opinion, I have mine. And, for probably the first time ever, I agree with Fox News.

Taking everything we know about Greta into account, and listening and watching her presentation yesterday, do you genuinely feel that her parents are acting responsibly and with no personal agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

On his radio show on Tuesday morning, Tubridy wondered aloud if Thunberg was "being minded properly," and baselessly speculated of her UN speech yesterday that "the words were so impassioned and so mature and so adult and so accusatory that it didn't feel like it could have come from her own pen !"
    ''The world should press pause on Thunberg and send her home, where her scary stories can't bother us anymore!! and the world can go on as before.

I wouldn't say its quite having a go at her but more a concern. The spotlight being piled on to a girl and being on the spectrum is not a good thing.

If the people behind her are doing it for altruistic reasons they will make sure she is looked after properly but there is a risk they are just using her.

''The world should press pause on Thunberg and send her home, ''

Could we pause Tubridy's wages? I'm fed up paying into them :)

Be honest, you weren't listening to them in the first place.

Now you are making asumptions.
    True I never heard of the girl until I saw her mentioned here a few weeks ago or whatever it was.
    So I looked her up and said ok I will see what the fuss is about.
    Couple of interviews seem ok-ish bit off as it is not her native language, well spoken.
    Then we had today's thing which I heard on radio this morning.
    I laughed my head off as it seemed very southpark -ish in it's tone and delivery and message.
    And with the accent it reminded me on thier take on Tiger Woods Swedish wife.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Taking everything we know about Greta into account, and listening and watching her presentation yesterday, do you genuinely feel that her parents are acting responsibly and with no personal agenda?

I think every decent parent's foremost agenda is the long term health and happiness of their child.

I believe that in this case, they believe that supporting Greta to protest as she is doing is helpful to her health and happiness while still being difficult for her.

Yesterday she was emotional, most of the time she is quiet but still seems happy and smiling.

I laughed my head off as it seemed very southpark -ish in it's tone and delivery and message.
    And with the accent it reminded me on thier take on Tiger Woods Swedish wife.

Well, that's some empirical evidence right there.

But Sweden has a recycle rate of 99% and are at the front of the Climate Change battle. She can't have a problem with that.

Hang on, you wondered why she didn't start her protest closer to home, when it was pointed out she did so, you now question why she did so.

Are you just here to complain about her?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,497 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yesterday she was emotional.

But was she?

• Advertisement

I guess she wants 100% - fair play to her eh? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    You think Knowles is being "attacked"?

Search Michael Knowles on Twitter right now and see.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I wouldn't say its quite having a go at her but more a concern. The spotlight being piled on to a girl so you and on the spectrum is not a good thing.

If the people behind her are doing it for altruistic reasons they will make sure she is looked after properly but there is a risk they are just using her.

That was where I heard that this morning (flicking through the channels for news, not a regular rte listener) which is why I am on this thread now.

Ryan Tubridy said nothing about 'scary stories' by the way he mentioned about how he was conflicted by such a young girl who he admires for her conviction. But she clearly has issues, and he wondered if it is good for her health giving speeches with such passion, worry and angst in front of the world's glare.
    He mentioned how her face was contorted etc etc

I think every decent parent's foremost agenda is the long term health and happiness of their child.

I believe that in this case, they believe that supporting Greta to protest as she is doing is helpful to her health and happiness while still being difficult for her.

Yesterday she was emotional, most of the time she is quiet but still seems happy and smiling.

Yesterday she was extremely stressed, overwrought and disturbed.
    That didn’t just happen while she was making her speech.
    It would have been building for a while.
    Children need their parents to make decisions for them that are in their best interests.
    When you are 16 and not on the Spectrum this nearly always means that you’re not going to agree with the decision.
    This applies even more so when you are living with a sensory difference.
    I am appalled that her parents allowed her to go ahead and get into that state in front of everyone.
    That “how dare you” will come back to haunt them in the future.

Well, that's some empirical evidence right there.

I am not saying it is evidence that was the impression she gave to me.
    I found it funny - I only heard the clip at that point
    Tubridy found it disturbing he saw the clip.
    He said he was not sure about the whole thing, and his voice trailed off before he thought of how to make his point nicely.

Obviously I am no Ryan Tubridy I laughed - and thought of Southpark!
    I am just being honest.

Just getting a lot of news tweets saying what he said was disgraceful.

Fair enough if you feel he is being attacked and she wasn't...

I hope Michael gets through it, I wouldn't wish personal attacks on anyone.

https://streamable.com/w4sdx

Michael Jackson tried to make a difference, and even he couldn't, Greta has no chance.

If you know anything about knowles then you will know that he has searched everywhere today for a “****” to give, and he can’t find any, anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I would think if he is calling her mentally ill then, he deserves some of it regardless if he mentioned the exploitation.

Autism is a fairly wide and broad term and people with the condition come across a wide spectrum. While autism is neurological and can impact communication (input/output) and come with developmental issues Greta is high functioning and very verbal.

What she is saying is correct and while i would have concern for her well being due to her condition i would never discount the validity of what she is saying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement