Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,057 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You can turn water to a solid by adding a chemical? So why not pump trillions of litres daily from oceans and turn it to a solid.

Why dont we suck all the co2 out while we're at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Tony EH wrote: »
    You wouldn't make it out of the harbour.

I assure you I can lie in a bed and sh!te in a bucket when required. Which is the extent of what she did on the trip.

Would you seriously not be able to do that? Really? Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Why is it a problem?? We are a virus and the earth is counteracting it. Do you honestly think humans are so important in the grand scheme of things??

Speak for yourself. What makes you think this planet is so important in the grand scheme of things? there are millions of other planets in the universe.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I don't agree. This very thread is proof positive that her trip was worthwhile.

Actions speak louder than words.

The EU talk a lot about reducing emissions. Yet they have been negotiating for years to get Mercosur through, a deal which encourages the destruction of the Amazon, beef traveling thousands of miles, and CO2 emitting German and French cars going in the opposite direction.

The politicians talk plenty but their actions will usually be the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

NIMAN wrote: »
    First off, this is just theory for now. Nothing else. No scientist can predict what sea levels rises will be in 200 years time. If you are willing to accept that as fact then you are their target audience. Where is all this water going to come from to keep rising 2 metres per year indefinitely?

And secondly, its 200 years away, me and my kids will be long gone. Its hard to care about something so far ahead.

The only thing I believe is that the rest of my life and my kids lives will probably go on as they have been for the next 50 or 75yrs, without all the doomsday stuff happening. Of course, some will believe I'm gullible for thinking this, but hey, each to their own.

There is enough ice in Greenland alone to raise sea levels by 7metres. Nobody said it can rise by 2 metres indefinitely. The antartic has enough ice to raise levels by 60m.

I am in the same boat as you regarding the next 50 or 60 years. It probably won't affect me or my kids much, we live on high ground, and by 60 years time everybody will have copped on not to buy or live in a house in low lying areas.

• Advertisement

You can turn water to a solid by adding a chemical? So why not pump trillions of litres daily from oceans and turn it to a solid.

Ice 9 right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,685 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Actions speak louder than words.

The EU talk a lot about reducing emissions. Yet they have been negotiating for years to get Mercosur through, a deal which encourages the destruction of the Amazon, beef traveling thousands of miles, and CO2 emitting German and French cars going in the opposite direction.

The politicians talk plenty but their actions will usually be the opposite.

... but people have the power at the end of the day.

No-one is forcing us to buy Brazil's beef. Insist on Irish beef, even if its more expensive, and you'll soon see the supply of Brazilian beef slow or stop.

Feisar wrote: »
    I get to have a pool?

All new houses will have to come with 1 acre of forest, a 50 metre pool, solar panels and a wind turbine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,749 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

so you are completely deluded in your own opinions. ok then.

you are not right.
    you have not come up with these things yourself, making the scientists, not right either, but that they have an opinion. it's not the right opinion.
    it's at best scare-mongering. it is designed to scare the most stupid and ignorant in society, so when i see people who agree with it then i know from that point on that i am speaking to a braindead moron with no thoughts of their own.

i never said i was "right" or that i support any of the things like casey or trump.

How is believing the opinions of those educated, qualified and experienced on a topic an indication that I am deluded in my opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Graces7 wrote: »
    There is an excellent appraisal in a dedicated thread to this topic over on the weather forum. .. cannot post links.

The was another thread in the Environment and Sustainability forum. It quickly got closed down after the concensus appeared that the whole greta thing is a joke at best. I was surprised that the general vote went that way so quickly. But there you go.

We seem to gave some die hard supporters on this one.

• Advertisement

easypazz wrote: »
    There is enough ice in Greenland alone to raise sea levels by 7metres. Nobody said it can rise by 2 metres indefinitely. The antartic has enough ice to raise levels by 60m.

That amount of weight coming off the continental shelf will have to have some impact though?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,342 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I assure you I can lie in a bed and sh!te in a bucket when required. Which is the extent of what she did on the trip.

Would you seriously not be able to do that? Really? Wow.

Yep, you're definite harbour death.

sinking-boat-12.jpg

NIMAN wrote: »
    ... but people have the power at the end of the day.

No-one is forcing us to buy Brazil's beef. Insist on Irish beef, even if its more expensive, and you'll soon see the supply of Brazilian beef slow or stop.

That's it exactly. If we all refused plastic goods from China, refused to fly in planes, refused to eat produce from more than 50 miles etc. etc. then we would start to solve this.

Yep, you're definite harbour death.

What are you sh!teing on about? Please use a bucket like St. Greta if you're doing so.

gozunda wrote: »
    The was another thread in the Environment and Sustainability forum. It quickly got closed down after the concensus appeared that the whole greta thing is a joke at best. I was surprised that the general vote went that way so quickly. But there you go.

We seem to gave some die hard supporters on this one.

You should work for Fox News. You have an uncanny ability to incorrectly interpret actual events in order to support your view.

Maybe you don't even realise you are doing it.

Here is the Mod note when closing the thread.
    OK after two glorious pages of questioning modding, climate denialism and taking pot shots at a 16 year old girl for having aspergers

Maybe if yourself and the rest of the deniers actually got together and did some research and published a paper on the topic, ye would have some merit. This trying to equate an anonymous baying mob with documented science is a lost cause. Or at least it would be for most people.

What are you sh!teing on about? Please use a bucket like St. Greta if you're doing so.

Stick to trains.

You clearly have no idea how to pilot a boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

wlnq6evzvpo31.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

How is believing the opinions of those educated, qualified and experienced on a topic an indication that I am deluded in my opinions?

you didnt come up with it yourself. you are bandwagoning off the back of the scientists work and just jumping on and agreeing.

i do not agree with some of it, but that doesnt make me wrong and you right.

it doesnt make you right if you are blindly listening and agreeing without actually coming up with anything yourself to PROVE it is all "right".

it's not all "right" and that's the point. people are being too quick to listen to the scaremongering "backed up by scientists" and not giving any of THEIR OWN thought to it....

WHY SHOULD IRELAND DO ANYTHING?
    we are a tiny blip in the scheme of things. we dont tear down our forests, and we dont emit anything considerable to the atmosphere.

this is trump part 2. Irish morons getting involved in politics that does not and SHOULD not be anything to do with them

Stick to trains.

You clearly have no idea how to pilot a boat.

Where did I say I did?

You know Greta didn't pilot the multimillion dollar boat she hitched a ride on, right?

you didnt come up with it yourself. you are bandwagoning off the back of the scientists work and just jumping on and agreeing.

i do not agree with some of it, but that doesnt make me wrong and you right.

it doesnt make you right if you are blindly listening and agreeing without actually coming up with anything yourself to PROVE it is all "right".

it's not all "right" and that's the point. people are being too quick to listen to the scaremongering "backed up by scientists" and not giving any of THEIR OWN thought to it....

WHY SHOULD IRELAND DO ANYTHING?
    we are a tiny blip in the scheme of things. we dont tear down our forests, and we dont emit anything considerable to the atmosphere.

this is trump part 2. Irish morons getting involved in politics that does not and SHOULD not be anything to do with them

I am nominating this for the most idiotic post of the thread.
    Doesn't even warrant a response.

• Advertisement

Where did I say I did?

You know Greta didn't pilot the multimillion dollar boat she hitched a ride on, right?
    _108314805_hi055844190.jpg

easypazz wrote: »
    That's it exactly. If we all refused plastic goods from China, refused to fly in planes, refused to eat produce from more than 50 miles etc. etc. then we would start to solve this.

then you ask "what is the point in being alive at all then"?

you people are basically asking humans who are alive today to give up their own lives and give them to the future people who they will never meet.

i dont care about people i wont meet. they certainly wont be in my family lineage directly. i dont care about the future generations. i couldnt give a flying sh!te about them.

this big deal being made.

what gives you the audacity to assume that you can "save the day" now when in 200 years when something MIGHT happen to occur because of our changing climate, that the people of the future are going to be somehow dumb to the whole thing?

how come you think you are smarter than the people of the future?
    do you not think that they will be able to sort out their own mess IF they need to at the time, when it actually matters?

they can move up to mountains.

it's never going to be a sudden tidal wave of melted ice from the sea coming in to "get us".

fvck the future people i say.
    i dont care about them at all

we are alive NOW. i'm not giving up flying on planes, travelling and getting cheap clothes or food.
    i'm not giving irish farmers more money than i should for meat that should be cheaper.
    i'm not just going to blindly follow the bandwagon and pretend that it's a big crisis that needs to be solved now.

fvck that, and fvck everyone saying "we need to do something" "we need action" - fvck that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Another aristocrat worried about eco issues

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/prince-harry-eco-anxiety-leaves-me-struggling-to-get-out-of-bed/ar-AAHPBbW?ocid=spartanntp
    He might look like he’s got it made: a vast personal fortune, a beautiful wife, celebrity friends (and easy access to their fleet of private jets), most of his own hair, and free food.
    But don’t let these outward trappings of privilege and good fortune fool you into thinking that the private life of Prince Harry conforms with his happy-go-lucky exterior.
    Indeed, Prince Harry says he is so crushed by the state of the planet that he sometimes struggles to get out of bed in the morning.

Give me a break.

I am nominating this for the most idiotic post of the thread.
    Doesn't even warrant a response.

fvck off you idiot

Greta is now educated, qualified and experienced? When did that happen?

Image of a girl standing on a boat

Wow... look at her... standing... I guess she's using mind powers to pilot the boat?

She ate the salmon of knowledge on her epic trip to the Americas.

Ah, you're obviously new here. A simple misconception for someone just parachuting in to the conversation.

Greta says believe the scientists.
    Greta references the IPCC report
    The IPCC report was generated by scientists from 120 countries.

Is it clear now?

(Go on, try the next iteration of your argument)

Wow... look at her... standing... I guess she's using mind powers to pilot the boat?

She's using the power of methane.

• Advertisement

You should work for Fox News. You have an uncanny ability to incorrectly interpret actual events in order to support your view.Maybe you don't even realise you are doing it. Here is the Mod note when closing the thread.Maybe if yourself and the rest of the deniers actually got together and did some research and published a paper on the topic, ye would have some merit. This trying to equate an anonymous baying mob with documented science is a lost cause. Or at least it would be for most people.

Always the nasty little personal digs 'Tell me how ' eh?

Labeling anyone you do not agree with or doesnt like the greta dog and pony show as a 'denier' :eek:

Well that is as about as pathetic as it goes in a discussion lol. But hey dont let that stop you. Keep at it - everyone else is having a good laugh at that type of tripe anyway ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement