Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

then you ask "what is the point in being alive at all then"?

you people are basically asking humans who are alive today to give up their own lives and give them to the future people who they will never meet.

i dont care about people i wont meet. they certainly wont be in my family lineage directly. i dont care about the future generations. i couldnt give a flying sh!te about them.

this big deal being made.

what gives you the audacity to assume that you can "save the day" now when in 200 years when something MIGHT happen to occur because of our changing climate, that the people of the future are going to be somehow dumb to the whole thing?

how come you think you are smarter than the people of the future?
    do you not think that they will be able to sort out their own mess IF they need to at the time, when it actually matters?

they can move up to mountains.

it's never going to be a sudden tidal wave of melted ice from the sea coming in to "get us".

fvck the future people i say.
    i dont care about them at all

we are alive NOW. i'm not giving up flying on planes, travelling and getting cheap clothes or food.
    i'm not giving irish farmers more money than i should for meat that should be cheaper.
    i'm not just going to blindly follow the bandwagon and pretend that it's a big crisis that needs to be solved now.

fvck that, and fvck everyone saying "we need to do something" "we need action" - fvck that.

I am not disagreeing with you entirely. Sooner or later there needs to be a cull from 8 billion back to 4 billion, Greta should enjoy her life instead of worrying about the people of the future, who need to be culled anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

easypazz wrote: »
    I am not disagreeing with you entirely. Sooner or later there needs to be a cull from 8 billion back to 4 billion, Greta should enjoy her life instead of worrying about the people of the future, who need to be culled anyway.

why dont all these people do whats right and kill themselves then?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,749 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

gozunda wrote: »
    Always the nasty little personal digs 'Tell me how ' eh?

Labeling anyone you do not agree with or doesnt like the greta dog and pony show as a 'denier' :eek:

Well that is as about as pathetic as it goes in a discussion lol. But hey dont let that stop you. Keep at - everyone else is having a good laugh at that type of tripe anyway ;)

Sorry to poke holes in your already floundering argument (or should be 'arguments' at this point). It's a discussion board. You might find Facebook or Twitter more to your liking where you can make blase statements and are less likely to be called on it.

Sorry to poke holes in your already floundering argument (or should be 'arguments' at this point). It's a discussion board. You might find Facebook or Twitter more to your liking where you can make blase statements and are less likely to be called on it.

you have serious issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

easypazz wrote: »
    There is enough ice in Greenland alone to raise sea levels by 7metres. Nobody said it can rise by 2 metres indefinitely. The antartic has enough ice to raise levels by 60m.

Where did you pull that out of? If you took one square kilometre of sea and raised it 7 metres, you'd have an extra 7 million cubic metres of water. Since the oceans are joined and cover some 362 million square kms of the earths surface, you're telling us that all the ice of Greenland equates to 2.5 x 10 to the power of 15 cubic metres. Somehow or other I doubt you..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Stupid question, if the sea levels are going to rise, can countries around the world not be pumping water from the sea daily to lower it ?
    Dig up, stupid!

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Where did you pull that out of? If you took one square kilometre of sea and raised it 7 metres, you'd have an extra 7 million cubic metres of water. Since the oceans are joined and cover some 362 million square kms of the earths surface, you're telling us that all the ice of Greenland equates to 2.5 x 10 to the power of 15 cubic metres. Somehow or other I doubt you..

would nearly make you wonder how "educated" these "scientists" are?

you have serious issues

We all do.
    And you are ignoring them. ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

NIMAN wrote: »
    ... but people have the power at the end of the day.

No-one is forcing us to buy Brazil's beef. Insist on Irish beef, even if its more expensive, and you'll soon see the supply of Brazilian beef slow or stop.

People will always buy the cheapest beef in the shop and won't give a damn where it came from. The 99,000 tons allowed is likely only the opening gambit. Years from now, Irish farmers will be out of business while we ship all our beef from south America with all the environmental issues that come with it.

These types of trade deals are disastrous for the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ah, you're obviously new here. A simple misconception for someone just parachuting in to the conversation. Greta says believe the scientists.
    Greta references the IPCC report
    The IPCC report was generated by scientists from 120 countries.Is it clear now?
    (Go on, try the next iteration of your argument)

Nothing you say has been clear tbh. At best it's pure mud. And the only person you've been parroting in this thread is greta greta - says this, greta says that, great is great or wtte. And greta apparently believes the end of civilisation is happening in exactly 10 years 3 months yada yada. So you may need to do a fair bit of work on the lack of logic in your posts.

• Advertisement

Nothing you say has been clear tbh. At best it's pure mud. And the only person you've been parroting in this thread is greta greta - says this, greta says that, great is great or wtte. And greta apparently believes the end of civilisation is happening in exactly 10 years 3 months yada yada. So you may need to do a fair bit of work on the lack of logic in your posts.

Ok, maybe someone has access to your account because you have responded to posts of mine where I have specifically said the only message of Greta's which I am repeating is to 'Trust the scientists'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Stupid question, if the sea levels are going to rise, can countries around the world not be pumping water from the sea daily to lower it ?

Based on the success of Iarnroid Eireann's recent campaign to reduce congestion during rush hours where they have asked passengers to stagger their commutes versus buying more trains or investing in the rail infrastructure, IE have been asked to solve this crisis and have responded on this particular query.

They have suggested that people should drink more water which will leave more room in the sea when the ice caps melt.

That's why these guys get paid the big bucks.

We all do.
    And you are ignoring them. ;)

so are you.
    i am willingly ignoring them. i am not ignoring them and preaching to do otherwise, which is what you are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ok, maybe someone has access to your account because you have responded to posts of mine where I have specifically said the only message of Greta's which I am repeating is to 'Trust the scientists'.

Ah hear now - You're repeating yourself ...

Pity the only one apparently allowed to have any 'discussion' on this thread is you. You have effectively dominated the entire thread with your greta worship. Any other opinion is jumped on as heresy. But yeah I guess Twitter would suit that type of adoration better. More of a pedestal type platform there.

Greta apparently doesnt listen to the scientists herself and believes that civilisation is going tits up in 10 years time. You pair might be better finding a desert island somewhere together.

People will always buy the cheapest beef in the shop and won't give a damn where it came from. The 99,000 tons allowed is likely only the opening gambit. Years from now, Irish farmers will be out of business while we ship all our beef from south America with all the environmental issues that come with it.

These types of trade deals are disastrous for the environment.

well then protest that irish beef should be cheaper.

stop breathing out all that CO2

why should we trust the scientists?

who are you to dismiss the idea that a lot of them are being paid off to present these notions as fact?

well then protest that irish beef should be cheaper.

stop breathing out all that CO2

Good luck with that. Clearly you haven't been watching the news the last few months!

Importing beef from south America is a really really dumb idea but willingly embraced by EU leaders, which leads me to believe they are all really really dumb.

this greta worship is SO creepy.

it's so fvcking weird.

all these adult males idolising an apparent school-child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭optogirl

why should we trust the scientists?

who are you to dismiss the idea that a lot of them are being paid off to present these notions as fact?

How many is a lot? Because there's a LOT of them in agreement. Are they all being paid off and who benefits?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,603 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You can turn water to a solid by adding a chemical? So why not pump trillions of litres daily from oceans and turn it to a solid.

Let’s just erect a level 7 forcefield around the ocean and bombard it with quantum tetrion particles to send it back into a time when sea levels were lower, and then reverse the polarity of the deflector array to hit it with a reverse tractor beam that will compress it even smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,342 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

it's so fvcking weird.

It's not half as creepy as the shitposting you've polluted the thread with.

Good luck with that. Clearly you haven't been watching the news the last few months!

Importing beef from south America is a really really dumb idea but willingly embraced by EU leaders, which leads me to believe they are all really really dumb.

oh i have noticed it, that's why i brought up the point?!

everyone spouting nonsense about the environment etc etc...
    why arent they protesting against the things that get in the way of their apparent "solutions" then?

why just harp on and on again and again about "we need to take action".

take action then. lets see what ye are made of

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

it's so fvcking weird.

I dont see any greta worshipping around here, quite the opposite in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭randd1

You'd swear the way some people go on that the "The Day After Tomorrow" could pass for a current documentary.

Our bones will be well rotted in the ground before any impact we have on climate change has any devastating effect on mankind, and even then most of that will be just nature on its own doing what nature does; not give a fvck about us and carry on changing the climate regardless. The climate will continue to fluctuate as it always has between hot and cool periods, and the planet will be fine. And being the adaptive species we are, we'll adapt and survive, maybe not in great numbers, but we'll survive.

It's the fvcking over of the eco-system that will hurt us most, the dirty water, dirty soil, polluted seas, all these will do greater damage to mankind than the ever changing climate that for the almost entire part, we'll have no control over anyway.

Never mind the climate that slowly changes, it's the eco-system that needs the help.

optogirl wrote: »
    How many is a lot? Because there's a LOT of them in agreement. Are they all being paid off and who benefits?

a lot of them are being paid off yes.
    how many im not sure. probably the majority of the ones that are behind all of the scaremongering.

do you not find it strange that they constantly sway on their opinions?

i find it quite telling that scientists in this field who previously would have been accused of being climate deniers, have suddenly become the loudest and most vocal of saying the opposite and spout the same sh!te of "we need to take urgent action">

if you believe everything fed to you by governments, media and "science" then unfortunately you are unable to see the truth of the world.

i pity people who deny reality and just go with the "oh someone else said this, and it's true and that's my mind made up".

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's not half as creepy as the shitposting you've polluted the thread with.

exactly how are my posts creeping you out ??

you must be very VERY soft.

it's so fvcking weird.

FFS...I think you need to grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Speak for yourself. What makes you think this planet is so important in the grand scheme of things? there are millions of other planets in the universe.

It isn't. It will eventually cease to exist. Next question please.

oh i have noticed it, that's why i brought up the point?!

everyone spouting nonsense about the environment etc etc...
    why arent they protesting against the things that get in the way of their apparent "solutions" then?

why just harp on and on again and again about "we need to take action".

take action then. lets see what ye are made of

The first action I will take is to stick you on ignore! That will save some CO2 replying to your posts! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Ah hear now - You're repeating yourself ...

Pity the only one apparently allowed to have any 'discussion' on this thread is you. You have effectively dominated the entire thread with your greta worship. Any other opinion is jumped on as heresy. But yeah I guess Twitter would suit that type of adoration better. More of a pedestal type platform there.

Greta apparently doesnt listen to the scientists herself and believes that civilisation is going tits up in 10 years time. You pair might be better finding a desert island somewhere together.
    Dominating the thread? You're up there as being one of, if not the, most frequent poster on the thread.

Not only that, but you chide other posters for going 'off topic' (whenever the discussion isn't going your way) - and try to influence the course of discussion by threatening to report posters, i.e. abuse the post reporting system - when the former would likely land you in trouble if reported...(except others posters aren't petty enough to report that, nor threaten to...)

Not only that, you try to shout down other posters and shut down discussion - not just you, either, there was a whole chain of poster brow-beating with screeches of 'Communism!', when the Green New Deal based solutions were being presented and detailed (the GND which has mainstream support in the Democratic Party in the US...).

You're a hypocrite and you wilfully argue in bad faith, to disrupt discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement