Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

There was an episode of South Park season 8 episode 15 entitled "Ass Burgers". In it the theme was Cartman coping with aspergers, they were trying to make fun of the ridiculousness of certain things associated with autism.

Perhaps this is also what the poster was doing?

That wouldn't be my interpretation. Looked like a 17 year old lashing out in frustrated ignorance to me. Can't take the woke anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,611 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

More realistic proposal: We could have developed cheaper, affordable carbon scrubbers by then.

http://www.engineeringchallenges.org/challenges.aspx

Indeed Carbon sequestration methods are one of the 14 engineering grand challenges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

joe40 wrote: »
    That's what f**cks up debate. Could you not just make your point without referring to aspergers as ass burgers.

Again, using asperger's as an excuse to shut down debate!

There was an episode of South Park season 8 episode 15 entitled "Ass Burgers". In it the theme was Cartman coping with aspergers, they were trying to make fun of the ridiculousness of certain things associated with autism.

Perhaps this is also what the poster was doing?

Precisely this, I still laugh any time I hear aspergers now.

That wouldn't be my interpretation. Looked like a 17 year old lashing out in frustrated ignorance to me. Can't take the woke anymore.

Woke? There's only one 17 year old here it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

A few outliers. Why do you think that is? Potentially because the few who did comment negatively got absolutely ruined by her sheep, for attacking a 16 year old with ass burgers.

I wish I was 16 with that condition, it appears you can say and do as you please with absolutely no consequences.

ryan is no stranger to kids saying outrageous things because of autism spectrum conditions : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih3SZbJz8wg

ryan is no stranger to kids saying outrageous things because of autism spectrum conditions : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih3SZbJz8wg

My God that's bananas. What else can you say really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

A few outliers. Why do you think that is? Potentially because the few who did comment negatively got absolutely ruined by her sheep, for attacking a 16 year old with ass burgers.

I wish I was 16 with that condition, it appears you can say and do as you please with absolutely no consequences.

This is the definition of privilege if there ever was one. If you have any experience with autism you would not wish to had it.

The reason some folk with it get to say things that may come across as blunt is that we understand as individuals that do not have the condition that they filter an perceive the world differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

I'm not easily shocked.. but wow.. just wow...:eek:

If you don't laugh at that, how else can you respond?

Well you understand that autism is a spectrum and people with the condition differ in there severity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Calhoun wrote: »
    This is the definition of privilege if there ever was one. If you have any experience with autism you would not wish to had it.

The reason some folk with it get to say things that may come across as blunt is that we understand as individuals that do not have the condition that they filter an perceive the world differently.

Hang on a second, again you are using the Asperger's as a reason that she cannot be criticised.

It's not the condition that is making her say these things. But the condition allows her to say what she wants without being criticised.

Hang on a second, again you are using the Asperger's as a reason that she cannot be criticised.

It's not the condition that is making her say these things. But the condition allows her to say what she wants without being criticised.

I see you've stopped calling it "ass burgers". A small step to maturity.

I see you've stopped calling it "ass burgers". A small step to maturity.

I can go back there at a moment's notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

So you think the negative outweighed the positive in what she did? I disagree.

Fair enough.

No what i am saying is you can pick apart what she is saying but what the past couple of posts have descended into is attacking her because she has autism.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Great, so we're going to have to put up with more of her antics till at least next September? Still, if she were my daughter I'd probably want to send her off on the slow boat to the US too. Sounds like a little terror to live with if what you said is true.

That was my recollection of an interview with some US TV anchor who interviewed her. I'll see if I can find the video ...

Calhoun wrote: »
    No what i am saying is you can pick apart what she is saying but what the past couple of posts have descended into is attacking her because she has autism.

Where did I attack her Autism...

Autism only comes into the equation when her defenders have nothing else to give out about.

Autism only comes into the equation when her defenders have nothing else to give out about.

I guess i was confused with all the assburgers stuff going around and the shock gasps when the link on the late late show was linked.

This isn't a case of me having a go because i have run out of arguments, if you look at my post history on this thread alone i don't like what they are doing with her but i acknowledge we have a global problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,751 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

gozunda wrote: »
    That was my recollection of an interview with some US TV anchor who interviewed her. I'll see if I can find the video ...

You were wrong saying it isn't a gap year. She has said herself that that is the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,751 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If you don't think that referring to it as you did isn't demeaning then I'm not sure you ever are going to understand the debate.

Further evidence of that is thinking that defenders of Greta are the ones who raise the Autism as part of their argument.

99% on this thread it's people like yourself saying 'Oh you won't let me give out about her because she has autism'. Clear thinking people are like 'No, give out about her if you wish but try and make it have a basis in something relevant and don't get your knickers in a twist when it is challenged'.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Exactly , it gives sufferers no filter, i think this is why its even more dangerous to let gretta say some of these outrageous extremist things about what we should be doing and whos to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

...for attacking a 16 year old with ass burgers.

Mod: You're obviously not able to engage in a respectful way. Please don't post in the thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: It's pretty hard to call this thread a discussion at this point. There's far more noise to signal right now when it comes to bitchy comments vs. actual points of discussion. If this thread is to remain open, this ends now. Any more smartarsery or provocative statements will be met with a card or forum ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What do you think motivated 4M people to protest for climate action last Friday?

And once again you are dismayed by people challenging this criticism and while it might be genuine in that it is their personal belief, it is not above being challenged and has been found largely to be sourced solely from that basis of personal opinion rather than objective evidence.

She’s having another strike tomorrow. I will guarantee that 4m people won’t be out. It’s all well and good indulging kids once in a while but there is no way schools will let them skip school every Friday. And without school kids getting a day off there’ll be a handful on strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Peer reviewed research is the most reliable research.

Peer Reviewed Paper

Curry & Lewis paper – Climate models exaggerating up to 45% warming

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0667.1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Nice

She's doing a great job

Turning millions off climate change

Saving us some money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    link to twitter

Cheers. I'll try and find a twitter link to counteract your post.

• Advertisement

Peer Reviewed Paper

Curry & Lewis paper – Climate models exaggerating up to 45% warming

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0667.1

What argument are you making? How does this support your argument? Can you quote relevant sections from the article?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement