Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What argument are you making? How does this support your argument? Can you quote relevant sections from the article?

Can't your secretary do it?? I'm not here to spoon feed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Haha :)

Get her to make me a coffee while she's at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

She’s having another strike tomorrow. I will guarantee that 4m people won’t be out. It’s all well and good indulging kids once in a while but there is no way schools will let them skip school every Friday. And without school kids getting a day off there’ll be a handful on strike.

As the weather gets worse, I can see this tappering off until after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You were wrong saying it isn't a gap year. She has said herself that that is the case.

Not on the US TV interview she didnt. I think the 'gap year's is the generalised media description.

Look up how the Swedish secondary school system works. Afaik she started the new academic year and then left to pursue her the voyage to the US. She also said she doesnt know when she is going back ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

As the weather gets worse, I can see this tappering off until after Christmas.

Weather will be grand tomorrow. You can be guaranteed there won't be 4m out. It's a passing fad.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Look up how the Swedish secondary school system works. Afaik she started the new academic year and then left to pursue her the voyage to the US. She also said she doesnt know when she is going back ....

I hope the truant officer is in the mould of Seymor Skinner.

Weather will be grand tomorrow. You can be guaranteed there won't be 4m out. It's a passing fad.

I'll have a gander past my nearest one tomorrow at lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rich people won’t be able to take their kids to places like Mauritius and Maldives because it will be under water in a few years time. They will have to holiday in Bray or Wexford like the rest of us peasants ..shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Peer Reviewed Paper

Curry & Lewis paper – Climate models exaggerating up to 45% warming

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0667.1
    Research funding tends to be easier to get for high profile issues and more likely to be published whatever position people adopt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

What argument are you making? How does this support your argument? Can you quote relevant sections from the article?

how about you go back in time a couple of days and stick your oar in then, when it would have been relevant?

you are just thrashing out the same sh!te that the other braindead lemmings have been for the last two days.

when you dont get your way are you going to do what they all do and try and derail the thread by giving out about the standard of peoples posts, or "reregging" or whatever other stupid millenial meme talk they've been coming out with?

GET YOUR OWN THOUGHTS YOU IDIOTS

• Advertisement

She’s having another strike tomorrow. I will guarantee that 4m people won’t be out. It’s all well and good indulging kids once in a while but there is no way schools will let them skip school every Friday. And without school kids getting a day off there’ll be a handful on strike.
    Strikes ultimately need to serve a purpose. There really doesn't seem to any actual endgame in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I did. She said that people who post research articles that they don't understand obviously don't have a clue. I told her not to be so rude.

how about you go back in time a couple of days and stick your oar in then, when it would have been relevant?

you are just thrashing out the same sh!te that the other braindead lemmings have been for the last two days.

when you dont get your way are you going to do what they all do and try and derail the thread by giving out about the standard of peoples posts, or "reregging" or whatever other stupid millenial meme talk they've been coming out with?

GET YOUR OWN THOUGHTS YOU IDIOTS

Good point.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Rich people won’t be able to take their kids to places like Mauritius and Maldives because it will be under water in a few years time. They will have to holiday in Bray or Wexford like the rest of us peasants ..shocking

And the people affected by climate change will stay where they are and die. While we frolic in the warmer waters around Wexford.

gozunda wrote: »
    Not on the US TV interview she didnt. I think the 'gap year's is the generalised media description.

she isnt in school because she is a middle aged adult actor posing as a child for this crusade.

if you can't understand the lengths that these huge campaigns go to to get their point across, then you are merely one of the sheeple. you can't think for yourself, you dont question things and you try and find out what the masses are saying on a topic and you go with that.

when somebody says anything outside the box, you call them "mentally unhinged" and "deranged" etc etc.

what is that all about? why do the lemming people who dont think for themselves, or have the capacity to come up with alternative ways of thinking things, always sneer at the idea of questioning things from a different perspective.

in this case, nobody is actually disputing the existence of CC, more so that people are laughing at the lemmings for hanging on the words of an actor who has been put out in the media to pull on the heartstrings of the vocal masses, who then influence the braindead followers who want to signal virtue and appear to be righteous.

the reality is, these people simply do not have the ability to form any critical thinking for themselves, and simply follow the herd.

the herd can be wrong.

all the lemmings walk off the cliff in the end.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Strikes ultimately need to serve a purpose. There really doesn't seem to any actual endgame in mind.

You're talking about the strikes to highlight climate change. Mission accomplished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Cheers. I'll try and find a twitter link to counteract your post.

Ha, if you feel you must :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭randd1

You're talking about the strikes to highlight climate change. Mission accomplished.

Why would you strike to highlight climate change? The climate has always changed, in fact it's one of the great drivers of evolution, climate changes, animals adapt or die. It's why the human species is so diverse looking depending on where you're from, we adapted to different climates. The same with animals. There's nothing you can do about climate change, it's going to happen regardless of man.

Surely they should striking to prevent excess pollution and the effect that pollution has on the eco-system?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Pity there isn't any valid science that contradicts the IPCC's research and conclusions.

There is, 500 European scientists sent a letter to the UN recently refuting their claims and advising them to stop wasting money on a non problem.

https://clintel.nl/prominent-scientists-warn-un-secretary-general-guterres/

Nah, it's a day off for kids. Weren't you ever one? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

she isnt in school because she is a middle aged adult actor posing as a child for this crusade.

if you can't understand the lengths that these huge campaigns go to to get their point across, then you are merely one of the sheeple. you can't think for yourself, you dont question things and you try and find out what the masses are saying on a topic and you go with that.

when somebody says anything outside the box, you call them "mentally unhinged" and "deranged" etc etc.

what is that all about? why do the lemming people who dont think for themselves, or have the capacity to come up with alternative ways of thinking things, always sneer at the idea of questioning things from a different perspective.

in this case, nobody is actually disputing the existence of CC, more so that people are laughing at the lemmings for hanging on the words of an actor who has been put out in the media to pull on the heartstrings of the vocal masses, who then influence the braindead followers who want to signal virtue and appear to be righteous.

the reality is, these people simply do not have the ability to form any critical thinking for themselves, and simply follow the herd.

the herd can be wrong.

all the lemmings walk off the cliff in the end.

Would you care to provide some proof for the middle aged actor claim?

Forgive me if I'm missing some level of sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

randd1 wrote: »
    Surely they should striking to prevent excess pollution and the effect that pollution has on the eco-system?

Yes, that's part of the movement. We've no wilderness or forests or anything really left in Ireland, and we're destroying all this all over the world for human consumption at a greater rate than ever. So even if you think Climate Change is nonsense, we won't have anything left sooner or later if we keep destroying and polluting things the way we are. The only way to stop this is a change in our lifestyles, but that goes against the holy scripture of rampant capitalism so I don't really know how any government could implement real change without losing all votes. It's kind of a lost cause which is depressing.

baaba maal wrote: »
    Would you care to provide some proof for the middle aged actor claim?

Forgive me if I'm missing some level of sarcasm.

you are not missing sarcasm.
    i dont have "proof".

why would have proof about a theory that i personally hold??????

you can dismiss it because some blue haired male feminist did some science, but ok. that's your perogative.
    just dont do what everyone else does as start to call me "Unhinged" or "in need of help" etc just because i have my own theories and thoughts that arent imposed on me by this need that a lot of society seem to have to be "Included".

think outside the box

Yes, that's part of the movement. We've no wilderness or forests or anything really left in Ireland, and we're destroying all this all over the world for human consumption at a greater rate than ever. So even if you think Climate Change is nonsense, we won't have anything left sooner or later if we keep destroying and polluting things the way we are. The only way to stop this is a change in our lifestyles, but that goes against the holy scripture of rampant capitalism so I don't really know how any government could implement real change without losing all votes. It's kind of a lost cause which is depressing.
    10.5% is currently forest,its highest level in 350 years, and seeing as most of the destruction happened hundreds of years ago that doesn't wash as any kind of argument. You do know we have a plan, right, an imperfect one but a plan nonetheless? Part of that pan is to double forest cover.

10.5% is currently forest,its highest level in 350 years, and seeing as most of the destruction happened hundreds of years ago that doesn't wash as any kind of argument. You do know we have a plan, right, an imperfect one but a plan nonetheless? Part of that pan is to double forest cover.

Sitka spruce? We are currently doing the least amount possible, there's no money in planting broad leaf trees. Josepha and that stupid heritage bill are bringing back peat extraction from boglands. We need to be doing a lot more.

Sitka spruce? We are currently doing the least amount possible, there's no money in planting broad leaf trees. Josepha and that stupid heritage bill are bringing back peat extraction from boglands. We need to be doing a lot more.
    25% broadleaf. As I said there is a plan, but not quite the framework for carrying it out just yet.

25% broadleaf. As I said there is a plan, but not quite the framework for carrying it out just yet.

Yeah I've read some wishy washy stuff. I don't trust this Gov to do much though.

Yeah I've read some wishy washy stuff. I don't trust this Gov to do much though.
    But you trust a 16 year old child to do something? All in good time as they say and the initial concept did come from an all-party committee.

But you trust a 16 year old child to do something? All in good time as they say and the initial concept did come from an all-party committee.

If you trust this Gov to do anything you're nuts. I don't trust Greta to do anything, except raise some awareness which she seems to be doing.

• Advertisement

It is a lost cause. The necessary change won't happen. As you say, shareholders won't accept reduced profits. And because too many closed minds can't accept reality. This thread being a perfect example. But it passes time pleasantly to poke those minds with the reality stick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement