Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,350 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

is_that_so wrote: »
    But you trust a 16 year old child to do something?

Where does this bullshit thinking come from?

Do people really believe that there are folk expecting Greta Thunberg to solve anything? What the hell is wrong with you people.

Absolutely nobody on here has expressed a desire for a 16 year old child to do anything much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    There is, 500 European scientists sent a letter to the UN recently refuting their claims and advising them to stop wasting money on a non problem.

https://clintel.nl/prominent-scientists-warn-un-secretary-general-guterres/

You're either disingenuous or you didn't understand what the letter said. Try reading it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

It is a lost cause. The necessary change won't happen. As you say, shareholders won't accept reduced profits. And because too many closed minds can't accept reality. This thread being a perfect example. But it passes time pleasantly to poke those minds with the reality stick.

yeah too many closed minds - ie the lemmings like yourself you simple have not got the capacity to think for themselves, and just willingly swallow any ould tripe thats fed down your neck by the media

do you not think it's possible that "Greta" is an actress put in place to stifle argument about this issue?

do you think it is possible that Climate Change being pushed in the media is a smokescreen to distract people from bigger issues??

do you hate Trump, and is that the reason, do you think that a lot of people are so ferociously backing Greta and Climate Change protests?

i believe that because so many people hate trump they are blindly just following whatever the opposite of his beliefs are.

that's what is happening here.

yeah too many closed minds - ie the lemmings like yourself you simple have not got the capacity to think for themselves, and just willingly swallow any ould tripe thats fed down your neck by the media

do you not think it's possible that "Greta" is an actress put in place to stifle argument about this issue?

do you think it is possible that Climate Change being pushed in the media is a smokescreen to distract people from bigger issues??

do you hate Trump, and is that the reason, do you think that a lot of people are so ferociously backing Greta and Climate Change protests?

i believe that because so many people hate trump they are blindly just following whatever the opposite of his beliefs are.

that's what is happening here.

I don't hate Trump. I love him bigly. Build that wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,606 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

She might get away with her temper tantrums for now but if she wants this to be her mission in life in a few years she won't have the excuse of being a kid and will be expected to back up her arguments and come up with her own ideas.

• Advertisement

She might get away with her temper tantrums for now but if she wants this to be her mission in life in a few years she won't have the excuse of being a kid and will be expected to back up her arguments and come up with her own ideas.

If she's highlighting climate change then great. If she's not, then who cares really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭randd1

It is a lost cause. The necessary change won't happen. As you say, shareholders won't accept reduced profits. And because too many closed minds can't accept reality. This thread being a perfect example. But it passes time pleasantly to poke those minds with the reality stick.

The big problem is asking people in developed countries to forego virtually every modern comfort, and everyone in developing countries to give up hope of parity.

There's also the utter ignorance in attitude of developed countries of shifting the blame to them for not controlling ecological destruction there when it's the demand from developed countries causing the destruction.

It all sounds like "we've polluted to the planet to get where we are, we want what you have so we can remain comfortable, but you should stop wanting to have what we have because you're destroying the planet". I mean, why would the likes of India, Brazil or the African countries give a damn about global warming or ecological destruction when those lecturing are the worst offenders and want to remain in comfort at their expense?

I don't hate Trump. I love him bigly. Build that wall.

what about my other questions?

why are you blindly supporting this cause, when it's the very thing that government rely on so that they can do other nasty sh!t while people are distracted?

you know they literally are relying on people to be braindead enough to just go along with what they are spoon fed in the media?

you do know that at least yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

randd1 wrote: »
    The big problem is asking people in developed countries to forego virtually every modern comfort

I don't think everything would need to be given up. But when you look at the level of consumption now and all the disposable crap out there and all the little conveniences that have cropped up in our economy for people to make money out of, most of it isn't really necessary. The difference in how we consume now and how we did in the 1980s when I was a child for example is staggering.
    Do people really think we're any happier now?
    We're not, you can't measure happiness or contentness with GDP or materials or being able to order just-eat at 1am.

The big problem is asking people in developed countries to forego virtually every modern comfort, and everyone in developing countries to give up hope of parity.

There's also the utter ignorance in attitude of developed countries of shifting the blame to them for not controlling ecological destruction there when it's the demand from developed countries causing the destruction.

It all sounds like "we've polluted to the planet to get where we are, we want what you have so we can remain comfortable, but you should stop wanting to have what we have because you're destroying the planet". I mean, why would the likes of India, Brazil or the African countries give a damn about global warming or ecological destruction when those lecturing are the worst offenders and want to remain in comfort at their expense?

someone on another thread is trying to actively shut down the discussion of the "class" issue on this.

they dont want to knwo - 20Cent is the poster.

they think it's "pathetic" to "try and turn this into a class issue"

that's what it is!?

rich people telling poor peope to strop trying to have what they have.

greta screaming "How dare you" at them pretty much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

someone on another thread is trying to actively shut down the discussion of the "class" issue on this.

they dont want to knwo - 20Cent is the poster.

they think it's "pathetic" to "try and turn this into a class issue"

that's what it is!?

rich people telling poor peope to strop trying to have what they have.

greta screaming "How dare you" at them pretty much.

It's deffo not a class issue. It's just that poor people need to stop going abroad on their filthy package scum holidays. The D4 lot are allowed for their "excursions" to "explore others culture" though because they buy some carbon offset credits. Which may or may not actually have anything to do with some African kid being forced to plant a tree.

I don't think everything would need to be given up. But when you look at the level of consumption now and all the disposable crap out there and all the little conveniences that have cropped up in our economy for people to make money out of, most of it isn't really necessary. The difference in how we consume now and how we did in the 1980s when I was a child for example is staggering.
    Do people really think we're any happier now?
    We're not, you can't measure happiness or contentness with GDP or materials or being about to order just-eat at 1am.

the big problem is people are thick. they cant think for themselves, and this proves it.

yes, some people have lived a life reliant on all the contributors to climate change - cars, cheap electronics etc etc.

i dont partake in driving, i dont use many electronics and i think for myself. i question things.

the reason this happpened is because dumb people are roped into buying all these things, now they are being roped into buying into this fake shame they should feel for simply living a life they were walked into.

most people are lemmings with not much going on up there at all.
    you could have 20 degrees and still be thick.

if you dont question what's going on behind the scenes with these things, then you are thick. simple as that.

the whole thing is simply a world government attempt at driving the masses in another direction. and it works - it always works, why is that? because people are thick.

Do you know Greyhound racing has a higher budget from the Gov than our National Parks and Wildlife Service? That shows how little we care for our environment in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

you are not missing sarcasm.
    i dont have "proof".

why would have proof about a theory that i personally hold??????

you can dismiss it because some blue haired male feminist did some science, but ok. that's your perogative.
    just dont do what everyone else does as start to call me "Unhinged" or "in need of help" etc just because i have my own theories and thoughts that arent imposed on me by this need that a lot of society seem to have to be "Included".

think outside the box

So you just made it up then. Facts aren't something imposed on you by the great unthinking masses- she is either a teenager or she is an adult actor. You cannot support the latter theory so therefore the former is what you have to accept as the reality. Get some perspective ffs- you may not like her, or her message, but making stuff up just makes you look foolish (I wouldn't "unhinged", foolish covers it sufficiently).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Do you know Greyhound racing has a higher budget from the Gov than our National Parks and Wildlife Service? That shows how little we care for our environment in Ireland.

One of the things that got me when I moved to the UK was the National Trust, heritage walks, national parks etc. In Ireland I never heard of work colleagues going on such walks, exploring let alone paying year fees to be a member of a club preserving things!

Agree completely. It's why the necessary changes won't happen. Look at Bolsonaro, Modi and the leaders of all the major African countries. They don't give a damn about climate change. They wouldn't be elected if they did.

It's deffo not a class issue. It's just that poor people need to stop going abroad on their filthy package scum holidays. The D4 lot are allowed for their "excursions" to "explore others culture" though because they buy some carbon offset credits. Which may or may not actually have anything to do with some African kid being forced to plant a tree.

it actually makes me sick to my stomach.

there are parallels to the Opioid crisis going on in US at the moment with the Sackler family.

basically the Sackler family are filthy stinking rich - why? because they own multiple pharma companies that solely produce opiate products such as the extremely addictive Oxycontin. they market all of their highly addictive drugs to the masses (the braindead masses might i add) who lapped it up.

do you know what they said when accused of peddling drugs, and being as bad as drug dealers?

they said that "junkies ruined it".

these rich people can not see beyond their own stance and place in the world, and when it all goes t!ts up, or their wealth and way of life is threatened they always ALWAYS place the blame on the poor, or the people who they wrongly perceive as being "under" them.

it's the same thing with Climate Change. it is a class issue by the very fact that it is Rich mostly white northern europeans and americans who[s lifestyle is under threat and they are trying to figure a way of keeping the poor where they are, and stifling their growth.

it's sick. the whole thing is ridiculously obvious to anybody with half a brain cell and who can think about things a bit differently to what they are being told to think.

DDDDDUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

you are not missing sarcasm.
    i dont have "proof".

why would have proof about a theory that i personally hold??????

you can dismiss it because some blue haired male feminist did some science, but ok. that's your perogative.
    just dont do what everyone else does as start to call me "Unhinged" or "in need of help" etc just because i have my own theories and thoughts that arent imposed on me by this need that a lot of society seem to have to be "Included".

think outside the box
    And a quick perusal of you posts leads to:

"sorry there little rosie,

a) you're supposedly ignoring me? (childish)
    b) you keep repeating the same nonsense and not backing ANYTHING up.

you have your own (flawed and ignorant) opinion on the matter and i have mine, based on fact, study and lets just say a damn good bit of insider knowledge on the topic.

you keep saying i'm crazy. fair enough, say what you like, but it only makes me realise, the more insults and insinuations of me being mad/crazy/have issues you make, then it just proves to me that you in fact have no interest in the topic of the thread at all, and are in fact just here to TRY and be provocative and cause a stir.

i simply dont care what you think. i know, you are WRONG.

So, apparently, you used to think facts mattered, but not any more. Carry on calling people sheeple though.

baaba maal wrote: »
    So you just made it up then. Facts aren't something imposed on you by the great unthinking masses- she is either a teenager or she is an adult actor. You cannot support the latter theory so therefore the former is what you have to accept as the reality. Get some perspective ffs- you may not like her, or her message, but making stuff up just makes you look foolish (I wouldn't "unhinged", foolish covers it sufficiently).

no

see you are proviing my point. you are a lemming.

"so therefore the formers IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT AS THE REALITY"

no it isnt.
    jesus christ what is wrong with that thinking? LEMMING

the lemmings all die in the end btw

Filthy package scum holidays may actually be the most sustainable holidays out there

https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/08/16/inenglish/1565957243_987942.html

• Advertisement

you have your own (flawed and ignorant) opinion on the matter and i have mine, based on fact, study and lets just say a damn good bit of insider knowledge on the topic.

you keep saying i'm crazy. fair enough, say what you like, but it only makes me realise, the more insults and insinuations of me being mad/crazy/have issues you make, then it just proves to me that you in fact have no interest in the topic of the thread at all, and are in fact just here to TRY and be provocative and cause a stir.

So, apparently, you used to think facts mattered, but not any more. Carry on calling people sheeple though.

i didnt post that you moron

One of the things that got me when I moved to the UK was the National Trust, heritage walks, national parks etc. In Ireland I never heard of work colleagues going on such walks, exploring let alone paying year fees to be a member of a club preserving things!

Yeah we don't have that heritage mainly because we didn't have a landed gentry to be interested in this kind of thing. We should be now though.

you are outtingyourself as a creep and a troll. scouring the posts to try and derail any opinion that doest fit the mould.

i genuinely feel sorry for zombies like you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

She might get away with her temper tantrums for now but if she wants this to be her mission in life in a few years she won't have the excuse of being a kid and will be expected to back up her arguments and come up with her own ideas.[/QUO

The vested interests will have another pawn to push their agenda by then.
    They may even change the title from Climate Change (previously Global warming) to something more sophisticated.
    BTW the 'hole' in the ozone layer (remember that one) is disappearing.:o

no

see you are proviing my point. you are a lemming.

"so therefore the formers IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT AS THE REALITY"

no it isnt.
    jesus christ what is wrong with that thinking? LEMMING

the lemmings all die in the end btw

You keep calling people lemmings. Lemmings do not commit mass suicide by jumping off cliffs. All living creatures die in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

the big problem is people are thick. they cant think for themselves, and this proves it.

yes, some people have lived a life reliant on all the contributors to climate change - cars, cheap electronics etc etc.

i dont partake in driving, i dont use many electronics and i think for myself. i question things.

the reason this happpened is because dumb people are roped into buying all these things, now they are being roped into buying into this fake shame they should feel for simply living a life they were walked into.

most people are lemmings with not much going on up there at all.
    you could have 20 degrees and still be thick.

if you dont question what's going on behind the scenes with these things, then you are thick. simple as that.

the whole thing is simply a world government attempt at driving the masses in another direction. and it works - it always works, why is that? because people are thick.

That had to be one of the most condescending posts I've read on here.

You keep calling people lemmings. Lemmings do not commit mass suicide by jumping off cliffs. All living creatures die in the end.

they all follow each other off the cliff.

you all follow each other because you think that makes you right about things, when it doesnt all the time.
    you are brainwashed. you are a lemming, you can not think things for yourself.

maybe the blue hair dye is seeping into your brains or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Filthy package scum holidays may actually be the most sustainable holidays out there

https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/08/16/inenglish/1565957243_987942.html

Sticking with the topic of aviation pollution. The Guardian reported that 1% of English residents take 20% of overseas flights.

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/25/1-of-english-residents-take-one-fifth-of-overseas-flights-survey-shows

That had to be one of the most condescending posts I've read on here.

oh, and what? boo hoo? who cares if it is condescending. it's meant to be.

you should all feel like thick fools for not being able to think for yourselves.

why are so many people incapable of just thinking or saying something different. who cares if it is wrong or right, just think for yourselves, and stop following each other around.
    you are leading us to doom

• Advertisement

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Sticking with the topic of aviation pollution. The Guardian reported that 1% of English residents take 20% of overseas flights.

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/25/1-of-english-residents-take-one-fifth-of-overseas-flights-survey-shows

Yes and 80% of the planet will never fly. We would really need some kind of flight rationing but again that will never happen. Meanwhile newspapers celebrating the fact that Ryanair are adding even more routes out of Cork and Dublin. How many do we need at this stage ffs, Dublin airport is already a bloody nightmare as is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement