Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

dont bother is taking a break from the forum, and when they return they will be banned from posting in this thread again, so there's no need to continue responding to them

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Yes and 80% of the planet will never fly. We would really need some kind of flight rationing but again that will never happen. Meanwhile newspapers celebrating the fact that Ryanair are adding even more routes out of Cork and Dublin. How many do we need at this stage ffs, Dublin airport is already a bloody nightmare as is.

I don't entirely disagree but much of Ireland's prosperity is enabled by Aviation. Per passenger per km travelled it's not that polluting a method of travel either.

I think a policy of beginning with low hanging fruit is essential to realistic successful climate policies. Eg start with international coal phaseouts and an international end to fossil fuel subsidies. In turn it enables further measures that can progressively green the economy.

The current strategy of hypocritical virtue signaling over minor issues, with cultural revolution style criticism sessions for any naysayers or even those with questions, has only alienated people and driven them into the arms of climate change deniers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I saw a Ryanair ad last night and at the bottom of the screen it had a new line " the low emissions airline" or something to that affect, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21,751 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

is_that_so wrote: »
    But you trust a 16 year old child to do something? All in good time as they say and the initial concept did come from an all-party committee.

Christ you still don't get it.

Greta is close to the limit of what she could do until she is older, more qualified. She can still continue to do what she's doing, and there will be merit in that but, as she is blue in the face from saying, it's the scientists and innovators, inventors etc, aided by government who must do the doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Christ you still don't get it.

Greta is close to the limit of what she could do until she is older, more qualified. She can still continue to do what she's doing, and there will be merit in that but, as she is blue in the face from saying, it's the scientists and innovators, inventors etc, aided by government who must do the doing.

Whats she going to qualify in when she hasn't/isn't even finished/ing secondary school??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,751 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Whats she going to qualify in when she hasn't/isn't even finished/ing secondary school??

She's on a gap year.

I bet colleges will be lining up to offer scholarships to her given what she has done and the experiences she's had.
    Or she might stay focused on activism, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

She's on a gap year.

I bet colleges will be lining up to offer scholarships to her given what she has done and the experiences she's had.
    Or she might stay focused on activism, I don't know.

She could probably get entry to any Ivy League school in the US. Knowing our Greta she'll want to stay in Sweden though.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

you are outtingyourself as a creep and a troll. scouring the posts to try and derail any opinion that doest fit the mould.

i genuinely feel sorry for zombies like you

Sincere apologies- I quoted somebody else in that thread- and it wasn't you claiming facts as being important after all.

Calling somebody a creep and a troll for going through a posters previous posts (in this case genuinely trying to see what else you would comment on as a way of tying to understand where you're coming from with all the vitriol) is childish.

My conclusion is you aren't interested in objective reality on this subject and revert to namecalling instead of engaging with the points put to you. There is really no point in discussing any of this with you as you are just an angry ball of conspiracy anti-science nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

She could probably get entry to any Ivy League school in the US. Knowing our Greta she'll want to stay in Sweden though.

Yep, absolutely climate justice material in university, where her publications will be peer reviewed. She will do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Who cares?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From the Ametican TV interview I listened to their was no indication that she wished to return to finish her schooling. She already has stated it's a waste of time as the adults have stolen her future. Great role model eh? Someone suggested Ivy league? I sincerely doubt it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Knowing our Greta

You lads are cracking me up.
    "Our Greta".
    Did ya ever hear such ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

NSAman wrote: »
    Yep, absolutely climate justice material in university, where her publications will be peer reviewed. She will do well.

What does that climate justice phrase mean?
    Does is mean that Ireland has shouldered more than its fair share of rain and will now start to get more sun?

I've heard it bandied about by a lot of these left green types but it sounds like another hollow soundbite.

topper75 wrote: »
    Does is mean that Ireland has shouldered more than its fair share of rain and will now start to get more sun?

I've heard it bandied about by a lot of these left green types but it sounds like another hollow soundbite.

Yes. That's exactly what will happen. The universe is rebalncing itself so that Ireland will be sunnier. Good times ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

I trust all of those on this thread who think anyone against Greta's campaign is a fool will be voting Green at all elections from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Sticking with the topic of aviation pollution. The Guardian reported that 1% of English residents take 20% of overseas flights.

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/25/1-of-english-residents-take-one-fifth-of-overseas-flights-survey-shows

Yes and 80% of the planet will never fly. We would really need some kind of flight rationing but again that will never happen. Meanwhile newspapers celebrating the fact that Ryanair are adding even more routes out of Cork and Dublin. How many do we need at this stage ffs, Dublin airport is already a bloody nightmare as is.

Flight rationing? So sorry you can’t fly home for your fathers funeral but you have already been in Paris for a weekend.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

topper75 wrote: »

almost anything with the suffix justice these days is code for 'f*ck over white people and redistribute their hard earned money to darker skinned people who havent earned it'

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tony EH wrote: »
    Where does this bullshit thinking come from?

Do people really believe that there are folk expecting Greta Thunberg to solve anything? What the hell is wrong with you people.

Absolutely nobody on here has expressed a desire for a 16 year old child to do anything much.
    Apparently there are and do be civil.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Flight rationing? So sorry you can’t fly home for your fathers funeral but you have already been in Paris for a weekend.

Fly more and hasten your grandchild's funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

SJW Lover wrote: »
    I trust all of those on this thread who think anyone against Greta's campaign is a fool will be voting Green at all elections from now on.

The issue isn't Greta- it is climate change, so I imagine those that consider climate change a threat and think the Green Party is the right choice to try to fix the problem probably will vote for them. This is how politics works apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

almost anything with the suffix justice these days is code for 'f*ck over white people and redistribute their hard earned money to darker skinned people who havent earned it'
    Christ - way to slip the mask...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If you trust this Gov to do anything you're nuts. I don't trust Greta to do anything, except raise some awareness which she seems to be doing.

Even an apparently poxy plan is a whole lot further down the road than screaming demands. Plans are how things happen. Oh and for about the sixth time this version of the plan came out of ideas from an all party committee. We also have this to check up on this or any future government.

http://www.climatecouncil.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Climate saint Greta Trunburg is settling sail for UN climate talks in New York to demand that governments socially engineer and tax the little people into oblivion to save the planet. Accompanied by her film maker father who lives vicariously through her, a filthy rich aristocrat from Monaco and some German bloke the trip will no doubt vastly increase the wattage of her halo before she lectures us all about impending climate Armageddon in New York. Hopefully snaps from the trip will make it into Hello! Magazine.

Imagine being this shook by a little girl.

LMFAO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

491648.png

SafeSurfer wrote: »

I haven't laid out an infallible plan yet. Do you think we should just keep expanding aviation infinitely?

Aww the poor persecuted white man! We have it so hard compared to everyone else in the world!

KyussB wrote: »
    Christ - way to slip the mask...

Yup, our Greta has them coming out of the woodwork, it's hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

491648.png

Good man Frankie, such a moral man, has never slagged off children that are disabled or vulnerable.

https://twitter.com/markhumphries/status/1177178666402365440

A lot of people on here could go with giving this lot a call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://twitter.com/markhumphries/status/1177178666402365440

A lot of people on here could go with giving this lot a call

Wow hilarious!!
    I just wish I was as sophisticated and liberal as those lads!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement