Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,420 ✭✭✭✭road_high

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Anyway, what this is all about is that we are simply being softened up for the upcoming hike in carbon taxes. Not much more that that.

Will it change purchasing habits? No, not in our case anyway as you just simply have to drive a fair bit when you live in rural Ireland. And yes, we also burn a certain amount of (smokeless) coal to keep warm. So these increases will just add to the annual bills.

That’s the general idea- increased revenue for big govt. this rubbish is a very handy tool to achieve this especially when you the emotional ammo of deluded teens shouting for it and

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

road_high wrote: »
    That’s the general idea- increased revenue for big govt. this rubbish is a very handy tool to achieve this especially when you the emotional ammo of deluded teens shouting for it and

The movement is calling for politicians to listen to scientists- who would suggest a much broader range of measures. If your issue is that politicians are being selective in what they implement or dishonest as to why they implement it, then your issue is with them and not activists trying to drive meaningful change.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,756 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The movement is calling for politicians to listen to scientists- who would suggest a much broader range of measures. If your issue is that politicians are being selective in what they implement or dishonest as to why they implement it, then your issue is with them and not activists trying to drive meaningful change.

And the poster has the opportunity to vote for politicians more aligned with their way of thinking, or run for office themselves.

It's actually very easy to get to a position to put your thoughts and opinions on the line. Whether or not you find the majority of the population agree with you might be a different story. Same for all politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Do you agree that climate change is occurring and that a significant part of it is driven by human activity?

If you're concerned about a current slow rise in temperature, adding 10c to a litre of motor or heating fuel or a € to a bag of coal, is going to do feck all.

If you really want to do something about this, people and society would need to make a whole heap of sacrifices and changes: have less children, no unnecessary prolonging of life, concentrate the population in cities, ban unnecessary travel whether by land vehicle or plane, reduce the national herd of ruminants, make do with less.

Otherwise it's just tinkering at the edges and simply a means to transfer wealth from one part of society to another. Which has happened already in terms of large subsidies for the purposes of erecting giant industrial wind machines. It's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,362 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's consistently hilarious that some people cannot see that this is one of the reasons why Greta et al went to the UN summit in the first place.

Her "how dare you" is aimed at the very same politicians that these internet blowhards are giving out about, while they subsequently damn a 16 year old kid for getting up off of her arse and trying to highlight it.

They're actually in agreement with the girl they want to shit on and don't even realise it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

If you're concerned about a current slow rise in temperature, adding 10c to a litre of motor or heating fuel or a € to a bag of coal, is going to do feck all.

If you really want to do something about this, people and society would need to make a whole heap of sacrifices and changes: have less children, no unnecessary prolonging of life, concentrate the population in cities, ban unnecessary travel whether by land vehicle or plane, reduce the national herd of ruminants, make do with less.

Otherwise it's just tinkering at the edges and simply a means to transfer wealth from one part of society to another. Which has happened already in terms of large subsidies for the purposes of erecting giant industrial wind machines. It's business.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't think that any of this is what Greta or the scientific community are arguing for, nor is their motive dishonorable.

You could use the same argument to cut healthcare budgets by 60% worldwide overnight for any argument in terms of poverty, quality of life, employment levels, the environment etc.
    Your position is an extreme authoritarian one which would lead to distrust and conflict from the populace before long if not immediately.

What people are looking for is an effective realistic strategy to tick both the box of sustainability in both environmental and societal terms or to see any changes as being unavoidable and well thought out.
    There is so much work that can be done before we see whether or not that is sufficient or not.

It's interesting that some people hold both the view that there is actually nothing really that bad or unusual happening with the planet and we simultaneously need some sort of a cull to reduce the numbers living on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It's interesting that some people hold both the view that there is actually nothing really that bad or unusual happening with the planet and we simultaneously need some sort of a cull to reduce the numbers living on it.

A fair criticism of some mindsets perhaps yes.
    Does it not also have its cognitive dissonance counterpart in those who want to address a man-made warming of the atmosphere by limiting emissions and resource consumption, and simultaneously demand an opportunity for the developing world nations to seek higher living standards such as those of the west (Bono/Bill Gates/Geldof)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

As regards the Nobel Prize nomination - great call. She single-handedly brought an end to the centuries-old war between kids and teachers by getting them to focus on common ground: a spurious reason for a day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

WATCH THIS!!!!!
    Tell me one thing this guy says that isn’t true? https://mobile.twitter.com/IngrahamAngle/status/1177609628835880962

• Advertisement

vladmydad wrote: »
    WATCH THIS!!!!!
    Tell me one thing this guy says that isn’t true? https://mobile.twitter.com/IngrahamAngle/status/1177609628835880962

His opening statement where he calls it the 'climate hoax'

The rest if his rant where he implies todays teenagers are the ones who demanded aircon and tv in classrooms.

Where he says they are the biggest consumers of manufactured goods forgetting they're relatively weak purchasing power compared to older people.

Ignoring the examples the kids of today have been given by those older than them.

Miscontruing the point of immigration on climate change.

That's 5 things right there. And I turned it off after about a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

That's 5 things right there. And I turned it off after about a minute.

Nicely done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You can say "dishonest". Five dollar words don't make an argument. Here's another five dollar word; "hyperbole". The point of my argument was that the scientific community has been issuing increasingly dire warnings for many decades and getting little traction. A young lady comes into the public eye who has captured the anger and frustration of those who were listening, and yet the reaction is outrage. Like a child who has been asked calmly to behave 5 times but is now having a tantrum because mammy raised her voice on the 6th.

But by all means, you should focus on unimportant parts. Maybe I got my dates wrong, or misspelled "dishonest". Maybe it's not perfect and that can be used as an excuse to dismiss it all without addressing the point.
    I do say dishonest but I believe in credit where it is due so we'll have to disagree. Nice sideswipe BTW at those who weren't listening, stupid dolts that they are. I've moved past the screaming to what's actually being done and what's being planned, the important parts. Not a lot done and a whole lot more to do, but underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tony EH wrote: »
    And some people wonder why Greta Thunberg would angrily say "How dare you..." & "Listen to the scientists" to world leaders at a UN summit on climate change. Those same world leaders and businesses that speak out of both sides of their mouths on the issue.

Well to be fair she is 16 years old and probably knows as much about international trade and tariffs as the kid next door does.

I got the feeling from the "how dare you" tantrum that she really believes that someone has "stolen her childhood". Whatever about the histrionics of that piece of emotive teeth gnashing - she should maybe reflect on her affluent upbringing in a wealthy country wanting for nothing. It was that part of her speech which which truely came across as a tantrum and showed greta up as an indulged teenager - albeit one with aspergers (which i believe possibly may be a factor). Whichever - the responsible adults around her are not doing their job imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

^^^^
    Already posted just a few posts ago.

And earlier in the week as well.

Still doesn't make sense.

^^^^
    Already posted just a few posts ago.
    And earlier in the week as well.
    Still doesn't make sense.

The comments about highly pampered teenagers make perfect sense tbh. They can protest and scream and skip school all they wish - they need to realise their pampered lifestyles are a significant part of the problem.

It is also fairly humourous tbh even if you dont agree with parts of it. So yeah it gets some kudos.

And as one observer suggested perhaps they can even do something which could make a difference and embark with all the strength and enthusiasm of ... youth on an “energy diet”. A big, fat, relentless and endless energy diet. Not only on Fridays, but every single day of the week, 365 days per year, for the rest of (their) life."

https://www.resilience.org/tag/youngpeople/page/2/

gozunda wrote: »
    The comments about highly pampered teenagers make perfect sense tbh. They can protest and scream and skip school all they wish - they need to realise their pampered lifestyles are a significant part of the problem.

It is also fairly humourous tbh even if you dont agree with parts of it. So yeah it gets some kudos.

And as one observer suggested perhaps they can even do something which could make a difference and embark with all the strength and enthusiasm of ... youth on an “energy diet”. A big, fat, relentless and endless energy diet. Not only on Fridays, but every single day of the week, 365 days per year, for the rest of (their) life."

https://www.resilience.org/tag/youngpeople/page/2/

I've no doubt but that some teenagers could do with realising not everything is handed to them, but was possibly even more true for some of the people telling them now they need to cop on.

Teenagers now don't realise how not so long ago smart phones weren't a thing any more than earlier generations would have struggled to comprehend life without a fixed line phone or a television. They've grown up watching their parents on smart phones and are now being told they shouldn't have an opinion on the climate while they own one. By people who often shoved a phone in their face to distract them when they were younger.

They often don't walk or cycle to school because their parents told them the roads weren't safe for them to do so and now they're being told they are pampered for being dropped at the gates.

So, the fact that kids have grown up in a world where their parents are enjoying all the material goods life have to offer and they have no frame of reference of what it was like before, they deserve credit for saying hang on, there needs to be action on the climate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Pampered? Have you ever tried protesting? She's given up a lot, even with all the middle aged men baying for her head on a spike. Didn't she sail across a bloody massive ocean? Pampered? You just sound jealous that she's accomplished something.

As to your point about skipping school, it makes me imagine a class of kids sitting dutifully in a shell of a school building in the middle of a post-apocalyptic desert :pac: Get your priorities straight. Hundreds of Irish kids go on the mitch every day and just go knacker drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I've no doubt but that some teenagers could do with realising not everything is handed to them, but was possibly even more true for some of the people telling them now they need to cop on.

Teenagers now don't realise how not so long ago smart phones weren't a thing any more than earlier generations would have struggled to comprehend life without a fixed line phone or a television. They've grown up watching their parents on smart phones and are now being told they shouldn't have an opinion on the climate while they own one. By people who often shoved a phone in their face to distract them when they were younger.

They often don't walk or cycle to school because their parents told them the roads weren't safe for them to do so and now they're being told they are pampered for being dropped at the gates.

So, the fact that kids have grown up in a world where their parents are enjoying all the material goods life have to offer and they have no frame of reference of what it was like before, they deserve credit for saying hang on, there needs to be action on the climate.

Teenagers have never had it so soft.they have been allowed to soften to a point where many of them possess no basic life skills, cooking for themselves for example. Couple that with a enormous sense of entitlement and years of pc brainwashing and the result is the greatest generation of right-on dryball whingers that has ever existed, hopping from one trendy bandwagon to the next.

• Advertisement

Teenagers have never had it so soft.they have been allowed to soften to a point where many of them possess no basic life skills, cooking for themselves for example. Couple that with a enormous sense of entitlement and years of pc brainwashing and the result is the greatest generation of right-on dryball whingers that has ever existed, hopping from one trendy bandwagon to the next.

Teenagers are going to the effort of protesting and calling for action.
    Most of the whinging is coming from the likes of the guy in the video above saying they should shut up.

Also, in terms of teenagers never having it so soft. There is a weight of expectation on young people now that some of us older people didn't have to deal with because nothing was expected of us. Can you imagine how difficult it is for a struggling teenager in todays world with social media and the likelihood of bullying 24/7 often anonymously.

There's no question some of them are soft. It was always the same, my generation, yours, our parents, grandparents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭jackboy

Most of the whinging is coming from the likes of the guy in the video above saying they should shut up.

Not that they should shut up. They should practice what they preach, which almost none of them intends to do, including Greta.

Most of them live incredible privileged lives and consume mountains of unnecessary resources.

jackboy wrote: »
    Not that they should shut up. They should practice what they preach, which almost none of them intends to do, including Greta.

Most of them live incredible privileged lives and consume mountains of unnecessary resources.

How do you know what they intend to do?
    Greta is already doing what she can herself is she not?

Also, even so, are they not entitled to ask that the governments of all countries develop the appropriate strategies or processes to improve things. Is that not what governments are for?

They often don't walk or cycle to school because their parents told them the roads weren't safe for them to do so and now they're being told they are pampered for being dropped at the gates. So, the fact that kids have grown up in a world where their parents are enjoying all the material goods life have to offer and they have no frame of reference of what it was like before, they deserve credit for saying hang on, there needs to be action on the climate.

Nope. Wrong and incorrect. Read the article linked above if you are at all confused as to what was said about kids making a difference. If you can't understand that I can't help you.

Teenagers are going to the effort of protesting and calling for action.

Can you imagine how difficult it is for a struggling teenager in todays world with social media and the likelihood of bullying 24/7 often anonymously.

Getting a day off school and chanting prepackaged slogans given to them by their Marxist/NGO handlers requires no effort, just show up, that'll do.

Sticks and stones, they should seriously harden up a bit for their own good and not be part of the contrived victimhood industry where in the absence of real problems stuff has to be made up.

Nope. Wrong and incorrect. Read the article linked above if you are at all confused as to what was said about kids making a difference. If you can't understand that I can't help you.

Is that article the bible from which all those against Greta are now taking their lead? Might want to say that to those including the aussie guy in the video above who have all basically implied they should shut up and come back when they are adults.

I am glad to see that you yourself are now posting links to guidelines which are in line with what Greta has proposed given that they are contained within the article.

That is significant progress.

Getting a day off school and chanting prepackaged slogans given to them by their Marxist/NGO handlers requires no effort, just show up, that'll do.

Sticks and stones, they should seriously harden up a bit for their own good and not be part of the contrived victimhood industry where in the absence of real problems stuff has to be made up.

So the scientists are making stuff up are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Also, even so, are they not entitled to ask that the governments of all countries develop the appropriate strategies or processes to improve things. Is that not what governments are for?

When I walk through my locality on a Saturday morning you know what I see? A bunch of middle aged and older people cleaning rubbish off of the green there, rubbish out of hedges and footpaths as well. Tending to the plants etc.

You know what I don't see? Younger people doing the same.

This all starts at local level. And not just joining a one-off protest now and then.

Words without Action = Bull****.

So the scientists are making stuff up are they?

Nah pal, they would never sniff the wind and nod along with whatever their paymasters want for a cosy life. They are infallible superhumans and incredibly virtuous, just like priests were back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭jackboy

What do you think most of the protesting students did for the weekend after the school strike. Most of them consumed like demons and continue to do so.

Greta is traveling around with a team of handlers consuming resources unnecessarily. Her UN speech could have been done at home with modern technology. She is all for other people to give up economic growth and live frugally but not her or her family. Did she ask her mother to stop her book being published, which will destroy many trees?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement