Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,756 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Nah pal, they would never sniff the wind and nod along with whatever their paymasters want for a cosy life. They are infallible superhumans and incredibly virtuous, just like priests were back in the day.

Ah, I see you are coming with one or two fairly entrenched opinions. Empirical evidence not being one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

slogans given to them by their Marxist/NGO handlers

You need to stop taking YouTube reactionary dimwits at their word. It's embarrassing.

jackboy wrote: »
    What do you think most of the protesting students did for the weekend after the school strike. Most of them consumed like demons and continue to do so.

Greta is traveling around with a team of handlers consuming resources unnecessarily. Her UN speech could have been done at home with modern technology. She is all for other people to give up economic growth and live frugally but not her or her family. Did she ask her mother to stop her book being published, which will destroy many trees?

You could use the same argument suggesting a climate change advocating scientist is driving to work is a hypocrite and it would be equally false.

Also, you don't know what the students did after the strike, applications for science and environment courses were up this August. Who would have been applying for them? Students. Students likely at least in some part influenced by the conversation of the last 12 months or so.

When I walk through my locality on a Saturday morning you know what I see? A bunch of middle aged and older people cleaning rubbish off of the green there, rubbish out of hedges and footpaths as well. Tending to the plants etc.

You know what I don't see? Younger people doing the same.

This all starts at local level. And not just joining a one-off protest now and then.

Words without Action = Bull****.

I agree with you in terms of those who do participate in community initiatives are generally older people.

It has always been that way.
    This doesn't start at a local level either, it has to start at a national policy level.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Is that article the bible from which all those against Greta are now taking their lead? Might want to say that to those including the aussie guy in the video above who have all basically implied they should shut up and come back when they are adults. I am glad to see that you yourself are now posting links to guidelines which are in line with what Greta has proposed given that they are contained within the article.That is significant progress.

Hyperbole lol? The article (which you haven't read evidently) simply details as an example how kids can make a difference even whilst holding whichever opinions they choose. Interstingly the "Aussie guy" said much the same. Bizarre you seem to have missed that. I do love the 'greta' this and 'greta' the 'greta' the other! Seriously is it possible to produce a comment that does not reference the little red book of the sayings of greta? Eitherway something seems to have changed your mind - we have now moved from "greta tells us to listen to the scientists" to the "guidelines which are in line with what Greta has proposed".

Thanks for that ;)

• Advertisement

i wonder if we shouldnt ask mods to consider the problem in this thread of posters who cannot make a case for support of greta without presuming and referencing the gender and age of their ideal targeted opposition.

very facile stuff.

you'd almost begin to think that gretas statements dont hold up under their own weight, the way that those in thrall carry on.

we're not twitter, god help us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭jackboy

You could use the same argument suggesting a climate change advocating scientist is driving to work is a hypocrite and it would be equally false.

A scientist should not be advocating anything, they should be determining facts. Advocation is for politicians.

So the scientists are making stuff up are they?

The scientists are not saying civilisation ends in 10 years. But you know that already...

gozunda wrote: »
    Hyperbole lol? The article (which you haven't read evidently) simply details as an example how kids can make a difference even whilst holding whichever opinions they choose. Interstingly the "Aussie guy" said much the same. Bizarre you seem to have missed that. I do love the 'greta' this and 'greta' the 'greta' the other! Seriously is it possible to produce a comment that does not reference the little red book of the sayings of greta? Eitherway something seems to have changed your mind - we have now moved from "greta tells us to listen to the scientists" to the "guidelines which are in line with what Greta has proposed".

Thanks for that ;)

Have you yourself not pointed out the name of the thread title several times already.....

We can do this whichever way you want. You will have to be consistent though so maybe that's too big an ask.

The scientists are not saying civilisation ends in 10 years. But you know that already...

I do, and you know that my position is the frame of reference is a moot point in this given the situation.

If a mechanic told you your car was going to fall apart in around 10,000 miles.
    Would you expect that he was accurate to the stated milage?
    Would you drive it for 9,800 or try to get it sorted immediately?

• Advertisement

Have you yourself not pointed out the name of the thread title several times already.....We can do this whichever way you want. You will have to be consistent though so maybe that's too big an ask.

Indeed. I think you will find the thread details
    opinions as to gretas voyage to the new world. The constant repetition of 'greta is great' without context etc is simply tiresome

As to being "consistent". As detailed looks like you haven't achieved that tbh and now moved from the constant refrain of "greta tells us to listen to the scientists" to the "guidelines which are in line with what Greta has proposed".. :rolleyes:

tumblr_inline_n1szlqjh7K1r9e4we.jpg
    I do, and you know that my position is the frame of reference is a moot point in this given the situation. If a mechanic told you your car was going to all apart in around 10,000 miles. Would you expect that he was accurate to the stated milage?Would you drive it for 9,800 or try to get it sorted immediately?

Wut?

Indeed. I think you will find the thread details
    opinions as to gretas voyage to the new world. The constant repetition of 'greta is great' etc. Is kinda outside those terms of reference to be fair ;)

And 'greta is terrible' is within said terms of reference are they...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I do, and you know that my position is the frame of reference is a moot point in this given the situation.

If a mechanic told you your car was going to fall apart in around 10,000 miles.
    Would you expect that he was accurate to the stated milage?
    Would you drive it for 9,800 or try to get it sorted immediately?

Mechanics, like scientists don’t make those type of predictions.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

PostWoke wrote: »
    Pampered? Have you ever tried protesting? She's given up a lot, even with all the middle aged men baying for her head on a spike. Didn't she sail across a bloody massive ocean? Pampered? You just sound jealous that she's accomplished something. As to your point about skipping school, it makes me imagine a class of kids sitting dutifully in a shell of a school building in the middle of a post-apocalyptic desert Get your priorities straight. Hundreds of Irish kids go on the mitch every day and just go knacker drinking.

Rant over? Did I mention greta in that post btw? But whatever sure thing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Make up your mind woman. Your either a film director or a climate control activist. I hate when people think they can do everything!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I agree with you in terms of those who do participate in community initiatives are generally older people.

It has always been that way.
    This doesn't start at a local level either, it has to start at a national policy level.

Responsible citizenry starts at local level though.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,617 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm glad to see over the course of the last few weeks that Greta shed light on some nasty, hateful people, while keeping the global climate change dilemma relevant in world politics despite louder news from the US and elsewhere.

Are locals generally responsible, for example for, starting public capital projects or is it left to government?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I think both this girl and the Malala girl were used by people and didn't know it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

When something can only adequately be tackled at a macroeconomic level, rather than an indiividual/local level, then it is the macroeconomic issues that must be prioritzed far above individual/local issues.

Posters criticizing Greta for alleged hypocrisy, have already highlighted how impractical it is to achieve individual perfection on climate/environmental issues, due to the impracticality of avoiding carbon-emitting transport, communications devices manufactured in China with all sorts of rare earths etc. - thus making it impossible for anyone to focus on macroeconomic issues, if they try to prioritize perfection on individual/local issues first, due to setting themselves a goal that is impossible in todays economic system.

Ironically these posters don't see how pointing out those impracticalities, actually undermines their own argument about hypocrisy - since it just proves the point that prioritizing the macro level issues, while putting far less importance on invdividual issues in comparison, is the only practical way to go if people want to mount an actual proportionate response to arrest climate change.

• Advertisement

Jeff2 wrote: »
    I think both this girl and the Malala girl were used by people and didn't know it

That's hard to prove; if you want to do X, and A B and C also want to do X and help you with that objective are you used?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Overheal wrote: »
    That's hard to prove; if you want to do X, and A B and C also want to do X and help you with that objective are you used?

Yes, by being dragged around the world to do that at a young age.

KyussB wrote: »
    When something can only adequately be tackled at a macroeconomic level, rather than an indiividual/local level, then it is the macroeconomic issues that must be prioritzed far above individual/local issues.

Posters criticizing Greta for alleged hypocrisy, have already highlighted how impractical it is to achieve individual perfection on climate/environmental issues, due to the impracticality of avoiding carbon-emitting transport, communications devices manufactured in China with all sorts of rare earths etc. - thus making it impossible for anyone to focus on macroeconomic issues, if they try to prioritize perfection on individual/local issues first, due to setting themselves a goal that is impossible in todays economic system.

Ironically these posters don't see how pointing out those impracticalities, actually undermines their own argument about hypocrisy - since it just proves the point that prioritizing the macro level issues, while putting far less importance on invdividual issues in comparison, is the only practical way to go if people want to mount an actual proportionate response to arrest climate change.

It's simply that environment activists have for years tried to warn this was a global problem; people have said "well work on your own carbon footprint;" and they tried, and people mocked their inability to avoid every facet of our carbon-based society when it really just underlines that it really does require a political effort, which individuals cannot do effectively from grassroots, because we've not built a carbon-neutral society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Just home off holidays and listened to that mad fcuk. All I heard was how dare I for basically living. She needs mental health treatment very soon

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Yes, by being dragged around the world to do that at a young age.

that's shifting the argument: in which you aren't dragged to X because like A B and C you also want to go to and do X.

after all most parents drag and shove their hellspawn/precious_angels.h to places they don't want to go, all the time, so you're gonna have to (please) be more specific about your outrage :)

Just home off holidays and listened to that mad fcuk. All I heard was how dare I for basically living. She needs mental health treatment very soon

You're gonna come back from holidays and already back to fomenting negativity? Just curious. IDGAF what people want to say at the UN, when I say that anyone who stands in front of the UN has the same right to their freedom of speech.

that's shifting the argument: in which you aren't dragged to X because like A B and C you also want to go to and do X....

I presume you didn't do maths in school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

All this talk of fixes on the macroscopic level; is it any wonder there were accusations of communism earlier in the thread?

People drive markets, we as buyers and sellers. For us to make a difference to climate change we must demand it. It's not some invisible hand/force, we need to take responsibility for our habits.
    That's why Greta and her hysterical ilk are hypocrites if they fly around in jet planes. They use the fruits of capitalism while at the same time advocate against it. The height of hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

you'd almost begin to think that gretas statements dont hold up under their own weight, the way that those in thrall carry on.

I think that's why she was 'chosen' so she can avoid criticism. Funnily enough, I'm sure you'll remember, the same type of abuse was put on the Covington kids.

The covington kids and Greta were the same age.
    Greta has chosen to be in the spotlight.
    Covington kids were 'thrust' into the spotlight, against their will.

Here are some of the remarks from this thread about the covington kids, I'm sure there would have been plenty more hate, had the thread not been closed.
    So is the kid only "guilty" of having a sh1t eating grin?
    Still looks like a smarmy little twat if you ask me!

Absolute hypocrisy!

(For anyone that doesn't know the Covington boys was a story which initially was an outrage which looked like the young boys were being dicks, but later full context emerged that the boys were in fact the victims in the video- the liberal/left outrage & vitriol aimed against them was disgusting)

Here is some more hate for the covington kids from the politics forum. Yes these kids were the same age as Greta. DISGUSTING:
    I think it can be said without any shadow of a doubt that anyone wearing a MAGA hat is an asshole of the highest order.
    Source
    Supporting the guy means they share his racist sexist values.
    source
    If, considering they were marching themselves elsewhere in the city, they behaved like like that towards a peaceful march that they had no business getting involved in, I'd be equal parts fuming and terribly upset with both my child and the adults who should have been in charge of their students.
    source
    You seem weirdly confident that the true facts are being hidden and when revealed, will actually show that the apparently racist asshole kids will be shown to be more sinned against than sinning.
    source
    Meanwhile his mother has made a statement.. Clearly racism runs in family.
    Source
    the kid look like a douche, he was being a douche.
    source
    Maybe you should ask the School board and the diocese why they are already sure that the fault was with the students and not the elderly native american man.
    Source
    How these posters were so wrong.. and the people who thanked those posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

All this talk of fixes on the macroscopic level; is it any wonder there were accusations of communism earlier in the thread?

People drive markets, we as buyers and sellers. For us to make a difference to climate change we must demand it. It's not some invisible hand/force, we need to take responsibility for our habits.
    That's why Greta and her hysterical ilk are hypocrites if they fly around in jet planes. They use the fruits of capitalism while at the same time advocate against it. The height of hypocrisy.

Take Your Pick of Left Wing Climate Change Narratives: Green Abundance or Righteous Austerity
    While I was preoccupied with other things, the US left settled on a pair of competing climate change narratives. By the time I looked, the choice was down to just these two, and no other views could be considered.

View #1, Green Abundance, is that combating climate change means unleashing the power of renewable energy. Fortunately, according to this story, renewables are already the cheapest way to go, or if not quite, they will be once they are scaled up through a massive infusion of public investment.

<snip>. . . . . </snip>

View #2, Righteous Austerity, is that the root cause of the ecological crisis is capitalism’s incessant drive to expand, which has fostered the toxic ideology of economic growth. We can’t have endless growth on a finite planet, so growth has to end right now.

source

Their plan is to end economic growth and create lots of green jobs. As Jean-François Revel said in his book Last Exit to Utopia about the survival of socialists in the post Soviet era they have retreated to socialist utopia free of criticism.
    Released from importunate reality—which they would henceforth blithely dismiss as inconsequential—the faithful could return to the roots of their fanaticism. They felt free at last to restore socialism to its primordial state: Utopia.

source

In the footsteps of Greta, on the road to slavery
    Dr Jiří Weigl, on behalf of the Institute of Czech Ex-President Václav Klaus, Sep 23rd, 2019
    The fight against the climate change isn't just an innocent activity of some altruists who want to protect Nature and living conditions on Earth. Sadly, it is a very dangerous ideology in which the scientific truth and Nature stand at the very last place of priorities. The climate alarmism is one of the main components of the current left-wing progressivism and its main weapon in the attacks against the Western capitalist society whose radical transformation is the goal. While the fight against climate change is used as an excuse, we are witnessing a salami method applied by the international organizations, a global network of NGOs, media, and collaborationist politicians in the whole world that enforces bans and orders whose goal is to make the people subject to the government control and global governance.

<snip>. . . . . . . . </snip>

Most of the public is still disdainfully calm. It is only observing the fearmongers' stunts from a distance and with quite some indifference. The vision that someone could ban us from driving the car to the cottage for the weekend isn't emerging in anyone's mind. Business insiders have known for quite some time that they can make nice profits out of the climate hysteria while they don't need to be afraid of the merciless markets. It's enough to secure the access to subsidies and lobby for the beneficial regulations. The public will pay for everything. The big business is an ally of the progressivists. In the circles of the younger elites, the idea is being deliberately propagated that it is not only in but it also pays well to support the progressive Left. It pays well to someone. It is an atmosphere resembling the years before the Second World War and the arrival of the new totalitarian system after the war. The generational shift is very helpful for that transformation – especially the departure of the generation that has had a direct experience with the communist totalitarian system. We face a tangible risk that the history will repeat itself.

source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement