Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

biko wrote: »

Looks like I've heard of her now thanks to greta!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There are two possibilities regarding climate change:

1. It's a vast left conspiracy funded by George Soros to jack up taxes and over-regulate business so smug people can feel good about themselves.

2. It's a big problem that will damage the place we live so we should probably take steps to prevent it.

Occam's razor says #2 is more likely as it's simpler.

Greta is a young idealistic person sacrificing her youth to bring attention to this problem since world leaders won't stop subsidising fossil fuels and beef.

After 9/11, we recognised terrorism as a big global problem and we launched a war on it. Sitting around debating whether you "believed" that terrorism was or wasn't happening wasn't useful. We saw a problem and we dealt with it.
    Every time I hear someone say "I don't believe in CC" I just hear "I don't believe that terrorism happens" as the WTC collapses.
    Get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Looks like I've heard of her now thanks to greta!

I think you need to thank Biko - the greta adoration thing is cute but simply reinforces the point made in the comment :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

spacetweek wrote: »

1. It's a vast left conspiracy funded by George Soros to jack up taxes and over-regulate business so smug people can feel good about themselves.

2. It's a big problem that will damage the place we live so we should probably take steps to prevent it.

Greta is a young idealistic person sacrificing her youth to bring attention to this problem since world leaders won't stop subsidising fossil fuels and beef.

After 9/11, we recognised terrorism as a big global problem and we launched a war on it. Sitting around debating whether you "believed" that terrorism was or wasn't happening wasn't useful. We saw a problem and we dealt with it.
    Every time I hear someone say "I don't believe in CC" I just hear "I don't believe that terrorism happens" as the WTC collapses.
    Get real.

You neglect to list a third possibility.
    That it is a natural phenomenon that we have very little control over.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Occam's razor says #2 is more likely as it's simpler.Greta is a young idealistic person sacrificing her youth to bring attention to this problem since world leaders won't stop subsidising fossil fuels and beef.After 9/11, we recognised terrorism as a big global problem and we launched a war on it. Sitting around debating whether you "believed" that terrorism was or wasn't happening wasn't useful. We saw a problem and we dealt with it.
    Get real.

^^^

1*l7aIfvp1gaEm7yedgVI8xA.jpeg

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/94/False-Dilemma

The only sacrificing going on here is logic ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There are many heroes like Saalumarada Thimmakka on local level around the globe, but I suppose we need a Greta to shake the kids up.
    Too bad she is just another anti-West crusader. Ask her about China, India and other big polluters.
    It really isn't her though, it's the people controlling her that don't care about the real polluters.

a-MY82-Dx-460swp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

¼ of man-made carbon in the atmosphere comes from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

. . . .

Get real.

The terrorism in question was a result of blow back caused by imperial powers (Soviet Union and USA) intervention in the region, that was exacerbated by religious fanaticism of its adherents. In the process Iraq was invaded and that set of a chain of events including a religious civil war and the destruction of several countries and led to the direct destruction of property including the loss of hundreds of thousands of people lives and triggered a migration crisis that has is still reverberating around Europe including Ireland. Another aspect was the reduction in freedom and increase in surveillance of people to freely travel to the United States and the passage in the United States of the Patriot act whose passage was influenced by the targeting of political opposition leaders using Anthrax. That Anthrax originated within the American military industry complex. The conflict drew in members of NATO in an an area of operation outside their remit and 18 years later the US military is still bogged down in the region at tremendous cost to the American taxpayer. It is ironic that American children born on 2001 are now enlisting in the US army to fight the war in Afghanistan against what are normally dirt farmers.

The war on terrorism bought an expansion in the military industrial complex, massive waste of resources, taxation, loss of freedom and substantial loss of life, and you want a war on climate?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

vriesmays wrote: »
    ¼ of man-made carbon in the atmosphere comes from China.
    Lefties will tell you it is natural because they have more population, but to be honest Europe's pollution is nothing compared to China.

We have had Ruhr and London back in the day but is fairly good now overall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The war on terrorism bought an expansion in the military industrial complex, massive waste of resources, taxation, loss of freedom and substantial loss of life, and you want a war on climate?

Yawn. A war on climate change is exactly what's needed. Discussing the reality of it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,362 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I don't recall Greta Thunberg excluding China or India, for that matter, from her admonishment of world leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Get real.

Nothing wrong with terrorism. It brought ireland freedom. And "we" didnt deal with it after 911.

The americans and brits levelled iraq murdering all around them. They certainly didnt do it in my name.

gozunda wrote: »
    the greta adoration thing is cute

Whatever floats your boat!

There are many heroes like Saalumarada Thimmakka on local level around the globe, but I suppose we need a Greta to shake the kids up.

Yup, I think you've proven that extremely well. Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

She's a real life Lisa Simpson

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Lefties will tell you it is natural because they have more population, but to be honest Europe's pollution is nothing compared to China.

Damn lefties and the concept of per capita.. eh what

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭ForestFire

For your penance go and confess your climate sins.

Eh... There seems to be some sort of technical issue with that website......

You are only able to select 1 item for your submission:rolleyes: and I can't find the "all of the above" button:confused:

They also seem to be missing the collection box, to pay for your penance, or is that only to help for the departed for their "sin", while they wait to be saved.....

:)

Yawn. A war on climate change is exactly what's needed. Discussing the reality of it is not.

By definition that is a war on people.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

It's very difficult to make out what the environmental lobby want to achieve:
    Do they want a ban on the use of fossil fuels?
    Do they want a total ban or severe restrictions on air travel?
    Do they want a ban on all private cars except electric ones?
    Do they want to restore all forests to what they were 200 years ago?
    Do they want a ban on all artificial insecticides, herbicides and fertilisers?
    Do they want an end to all mining activities?

At various times I have heard calls for all of the above.
    If all these things come to pass, it will be the end of modern life as we know it. We will all be 'found dead in a ditch' alongside Boris.
    The one thing I rarely hear are calls for action on the world population increase which is the fundamental cause of all environmental problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

And what fuels China's dirty economy? Selling crap to Europeans.

By definition that is a war on people.

Absolutely not. There will be no lifestyle downgrades as a result, and the poor will be enriched as green energy/technology is cheaper than fuel-based.

Might have been already posted: Greta Thunberg helpline

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Might have been already posted: Greta Thunberg helpline

It is worth re-posting as it is sorely needed by some very traumatized middle-aged white dudes on this thread. They also need a decent cloth to clear the spittle from their screens.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    It's very difficult to make out what the environmental lobby want to achieve:
    Do they want a ban on the use of fossil fuels?
    Do they want a total ban or severe restrictions on air travel?
    Do they want a ban on all private cars except electric ones?
    Do they want to restore all forests to what they were 200 years ago?
    Do they want a ban on all artificial insecticides, herbicides and fertilisers?
    Do they want an end to all mining activities?

At various times I have heard calls for all of the above.
    If all these things come to pass, it will be the end of modern life as we know it. We will all be 'found dead in a ditch' alongside Boris.
    The one thing I rarely hear are calls for action on the world population increase which is the fundamental cause of all environmental problems.

There is already significant activism pushing for better reproductive education and rights both in the west and in developing countries. When women are educated and can access affordable or free contraception and safe abortions, the population comes under control. The right has opposed this movement at every possible turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

pointless and childish reply post. deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

United Nations Summit 27 years ago

ag5qj2K_700bwp.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

It is worth re-posting as it is sorely needed by some very traumatized middle-aged white dudes on this thread. They also need a decent cloth to clear the spittle from their screens.
    Very strange thing to say!
    In your semi racist mini rant I notice you are afraid to mention where most of the population growth comes from, as that would be ... racist

United Nations Summit 27 years ago
    Severn Cullis-Suzuki at Rio Summit 1992

Here is the video

And several years later this is her activist father David Suzuki getting exposed on Australian television.

• Advertisement

Very strange thing to say!
    In your semi racist mini rant I notice you are afraid to mention where most of the population growth comes from, as that would be ... racist

Pointing to where the privilege rests is not racism.

As to population growth, it is hardly racist to observe that people who have not been educated, have limited access to contraception and have not been offered pathways out of poverty have larger families. Which further feeds into the cycle of poverty. That's a widely acknowledged fact. If I wanted that status quo to remain, that would indeed be racist. I do not.

My remarks are either racist or they are not. There's no such thing as "semi-racism". If they're racist, you better demonstrate that. If not, withdraw the accusation please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement