Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

And what fuels China's dirty economy? Selling crap to Europeans.
    That is your own fault. Stop buying Chinese. You can make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

My remarks are either racist or they are not. There's no such thing as "semi-racism". If they're racist, you better demonstrate that. If not, withdraw the accusation please.

Here you go.
    traumatized middle-aged white dudes on this thread. They also need a decent cloth to clear the spittle from their screens.

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

biko wrote: »
    Stop buying Chinese.

Good luck with that.

At least the EU and Japan's new trade agreement might help a little there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

spacetweek wrote: »
    By definition that is a war on people.

Absolutely not. There will be no lifestyle downgrades as a result, and the poor will be enriched as green energy/technology is cheaper than fuel-based.

It’s cheaper after punitive taxes are levied on fossil fuels for sure.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-49837898

"The OK hand sign has been added to a list of hate symbols......It started out as an online joke on 4Chan - taking an innocent gesture and pretending there was a hidden meaning behind it, hoping to trick the media and left-leaning people into outrage"

Impressive work by the trolls, but I'm thinking they can get Greta the Nobel peace prize

The people who are having emotional breakdowns trying to 'defend' Greta need to realise that all the more ridiculous crap being said is coming from a tiny % of trollls who enjoy watching people have meltdowns, and they need to stop grouping everyone into that camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,362 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    The only ones having "emotional breakdowns" are the people afraid of a 16 year old kid that they won't even remember in 6 months time, when something else will grasp their miniscule attention spans and allow them another few minutes of outrage.

It's laughable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

It is worth re-posting as it is sorely needed by some very traumatized middle-aged white dudes on this thread. They also need a decent cloth to clear the spittle from their screens.

So you believe that on average black and other minority men would have a more favourable attitude to Thunberg than white men? Utter delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

JJayoo wrote: »
    The people who are having emotional breakdowns trying to 'defend' Greta need to realise that all the more ridiculous crap being said is coming from a tiny % of trollls who enjoy watching people have meltdowns, and they need to stop grouping everyone into that camp.

image.png

Miss. Thunberg is a polarising figure who does nothing to build support for climate action. She energises believers, but horrifies people who are skeptical of climate change, every time she appears on the media they are reminded of society’s failure to protect a vulnerable child.

We saw much the same thing with the 10/10 Global Warming video with the exploding kids. The evangelists saw nothing morally wrong with it, however, when it was released to the public…the public was appalled and they had to withdraw it. Likewise that clip of Greta’s performance at the UN probably triggered a negative response meaning Ryan Tubridys response is closer to what went through peoples minds when seeing her for the first time on national news than the online outrage mob that followed.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

image.png

Miss. Thunberg is a polarising figure who does nothing to build support for climate action. She energises believers, but horrifies people who are skeptical of climate change, every time she appears on the media they are reminded of society’s failure to protect a vulnerable child.

We saw much the same thing with the 10/10 Global Warming video with the exploding kids. The evangelists saw nothing morally wrong with it, however, when it was released to the public…the public was appalled and they had to withdraw it. Likewise that clip of Greta’s performance at the UN probably triggered a negative response meaning Ryan Tubridys response is closer to what went through peoples minds when seeing her for the first time on national news that the online outrage mob that followed.

She certainly seems to be triggering some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    It’s cheaper after punitive taxes are levied on fossil fuels for sure.

To add to that I know many people who have got rid of heat pumps as their electricity bills were twice as much gas bills as when they had a gas boiler.

Heat pumps use electricity all day.

They practically guzzle it.

• Advertisement

She certainly seems to be triggering some people.

The same could be said for you. Greta is one of those cases where the only winning move is not to play and President Trump of the United States avoided her with ease, not only that she changed her twitter signature to something much more positive. So we can chalk that victory up to the orange man. :)

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1176339522113679360

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Miss. Thunberg is a polarising figure

She oughtn't to be.

She's just a kid who pulled a publicity stunt, when she was invited to a UN summit to give a short speech in which she admonished the governments of the world for speaking with a forked tongue about climate change and asked them instead to listen to what the scientific community are saying.

This was enough to have a bunch of lily livered Mary's to freak out and start throwing their **** at her like a troupe of chimps.

Fucking simpletons.

The same could be said for you. Greta is one of those cases where the only winning move is not to play and President Trump of the United States avoided her with ease, not only that she changed her twitter signature to something much more positive. So we can chalk that victory up to the orange man. :)

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1176339522113679360

Why would you say I'm triggered by Greta?

Personally I couldn't care less about Greta, hopefully she won't go loopy from all the attention the same way a lot of child stars go off the rails.

However I cannot stand the virtue signalling sh1tes who have suddenly emerged declaring her the second coming while at the same time they wouldn't dare lift a finger to do anything positive.

I think before a person is allowed to cry about climate change they should have to show that they have made some form of effort into making a positive impact.

I have about 400 oak trees, all 12 years old, that I have to dig out of a nursery area and plant on the land this winter. I wonder how many of the people losing their sh1t over the climate will give me a hand planting them? In the lovely Irish winter months.

Already have about 5000+ trees planted, all collected as acorns from Union wood in Sligo. Zero incentive every provided by any time of government scheme, massive costs with posts and tree guards as all trees are planted on land grazed by sheep. Another 10000 trees densely planted in this nursery area that will be planted out each winter.

Also have few hundred native flowering trees and 350 commercial apple trees I bought recently for the bees.

Not one cent available for any type.of planting yet everyday all you hear is carbon this and carbon that and all the penalties we will have to pay.

I believe in climate change, I have been doing my bit for a long time BUT I believe that currently it is being used, and Gretta, to get us ready for a whole host of new carbon/climate taxes.

Anyhow

The best thing communism ever did was forcing the city-folk out from the cities into the countryside to grow local foods.
    Once the revolution has come, and they can't fly on holidays and can't afford petrol anymore and just live in local villages without any conveniences, it will be brilliant for the environment.

And it's already happening!
    10 million Communist Youth League students will be sent to 'rural zones' by 2022
    They will help villagers 'increase skills, spread civilisation and promote science'
    Plan raises fears of a return to methods of Chairman Mao's Cultural Revolution
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6915035/Millions-Chinese-youth-sent-countryside-Mao-style-move.html

Tony EH wrote: »
    She oughtn't to be.

She's just a kid who pulled a publicity stunt, when she was invited to a UN summit to give a short speech in which she admonished the governments of the world for speaking with a forked tongue about climate change and asked them instead to listen to what the scientific community are saying.

This was enough to have a bunch of lily livered Mary's to freak out and start throwing their **** at her like a troupe of chimps.

Fucking simpletons.

I don't know many 16 years olds who like being called kids, she is a young adult. The public relations team around her likes to present an illusion that she is younger than 16 which is part of the deception behind the Greta story. The purpose of highlighting her as a child with a disability, and little knowledge of science, is to deflect criticism by characterising it is as bullying.

Greta will be a disaster for the warmunists because the people without skin in the climate debate won’t see a modern day messiah, just a scared little strange girl who has serious issues and major anxiety levels. Parents on the whole not tolerate Ms. Thunbergs nonsense from their own children.

I don't know many 16 years olds who like being called kids, she is a young adult.
    She is a child in any significant legal and medical sense.
    And more importantly, when criticised.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Why would you say I'm triggered by Greta?

Projection.

I don't know many 16 years olds who like being called kids, she is a young adult. The public relations team around her likes to present an illusion that she is younger than 16 which is part of the deception behind the Greta story. The purpose of highlighting her as a child with a disability, and little knowledge of science, is to deflect criticism by characterising it is as bullying.

Greta will be a disaster for the warmunists because the people without skin in the climate debate won’t see a modern day messiah, just a scared little strange girl who has serious issues and major anxiety levels. Parents on the whole not tolerate Ms. Thunbergs nonsense from their own children.

Ah. Enough said.

Personally I couldn't care less about Greta, hopefully she won't go loopy from all the attention the same way a lot of child stars go off the rails.

However I cannot stand the virtue signalling sh1tes who have suddenly emerged declaring her the second coming while at the same time they wouldn't dare lift a finger to do anything positive.

I think before a person is allowed to cry about climate change they should have to show that they have made some form of effort into making a positive impact.

I have about 400 oak trees, all 12 years old, that I have to dig out of a nursery area and plant on the land this winter. I wonder how many of the people losing their sh1t over the climate will give me a hand planting them? In the lovely Irish winter months.

Already have about 5000+ trees planted, all collected as acorns from Union wood in Sligo. Zero incentive every provided by any time of government scheme, massive costs with posts and tree guards as all trees are planted on land grazed by sheep. Another 10000 trees densely planted in this nursery area that will be planted out each winter.

Also have few hundred native flowering trees and 350 commercial apple trees I bought recently for the bees.

Not one cent available for any type.of planting yet everyday all you hear is carbon this and carbon that and all the penalties we will have to pay.

I believe in climate change, I have been doing my bit for a long time BUT I believe that currently it is being used, and Gretta, to get us ready for a whole host of new carbon/climate taxes.

Anyhow

Well done. Fair play to you.
    Jean Claude Junker has committed the EU to spending every fourth euro of their next 5 year budget to fighting climate change. In my part of the country 100s of acres of wild trees and scrubland are being cleared because farmers are being penalized for any areas of land in which subsidies are drawn that cannot be grazed.
    Serious lack of joined up thinking and a rush to find the most expensive solutions to relatively uncomplicated problems.

Reminds me of that old anecdote about the US space program spending tens of millions of dollars developing a pen that would work in the zero gravity environment of space while the Russians simply brought a pencil.

• Advertisement

Anyhow

This whole fear of extra taxes bleated by limp wristed keyboard warriors is ridiculous. This is a governmental issue and part of the "How dare you..." angle that was delivered in her speech to the world leaders in the UN summit.

It should be obvious to everyone that bad actors in government will use any means to levy more taxes on people, while they carry on business as usual. But blaming climate change activists on it is beyond stupid and just comes across as old maidish.

Greta's "We're watching you..." was a warning shot (for what it's worth) to the governments of the world that future generations, the people that will have to deal with the fallout of climate change, are keeping an eye on what they will choose to do, and she's correct to deliver that message to the powers that be.

Judging from the responses from the large majority on this thread alone, it seems that she is not alone in her scepticism on what these world leaders will do, despite their words.

But it has been incredibly ironic that the very same people that are criticising various world governments cannot see that they are actually in league with the likes of Greta Thurnberg, even as they try to do her down.

Tony EH wrote: »
    This whole fear of extra taxes bleated by limp wristed

homophobe much?

16 year old it's NOT ok to criticise
    Greta

16 year old it's ok to dump on
    Nick Sandmann.

Nic-Sandman.jpg

16 year old it's NOT ok to criticise
    Greta

16 year old it's ok to dump on
    Nick Sandmann.

Nic-Sandman.jpg

Must be satire. Not very good satire though.

The best thing communism ever did was forcing the city-folk out from the cities into the countryside to grow local foods.
    Once the revolution has come, and they can't fly on holidays and can't afford petrol anymore and just live in local villages without any conveniences, it will be brilliant for the environment.

And it's already happening!
    10 million Communist Youth League students will be sent to 'rural zones' by 2022
    They will help villagers 'increase skills, spread civilisation and promote science'
    Plan raises fears of a return to methods of Chairman Mao's Cultural Revolution
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6915035/Millions-Chinese-youth-sent-countryside-Mao-style-move.html

Far from communism forcing city folk out from cities, communist/quasi communist states have, apart from rare exceptions such as Cambodia, experienced unprecedented flight from the land to the cities and huge urbanization. More than 20 million Chinese a year moving from rural to urban areas for over a decade for example.

China currently have over 1 million Muslims detained in 'education centers', essentially imprisoned. Should be suspicious of anything China is up to, dodgy bunch

I don't know many 16 years olds who like being called kids

That doesn't matter a damn. In the eyes of the law and in reality, she's a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

lola85 wrote: »
    To add to that I know many people who have got rid of heat pumps as their electricity bills were twice as much gas bills as when they had a gas boiler.

Heat pumps use electricity all day.

They practically guzzle it.
    What type of heat pump? Ground sourced, or just the air-conditioning style unit?

Heat pumps seem pointless to me, unless combined with solar - but when combined with solar (at a high enough CoP), seem ideal - with energy storage, enough to serve all electrical + heating needs, off-grid.

It's only economical for your 'forever home', though - which you're going to stay in for at least the next 20 years - as the cost of solar, storage and the heat pump system, will take a long time to pay off based on todays costs.

China currently have over 1 million Muslims detained in 'education centers', essentially imprisoned. Should be suspicious of anything China is up to, dodgy bunch

Correct. And India is messing with Kashmir. And Bolsonaro is a wannabe dictator. And Trump is a manchild. In all of this, man-made climate change exists and should be dealt with immediately. But China, India, Brazil and America won't be engaging anytime soon. So sit back, relax and pretend nothing's happening. Or pretend it's a great big lefty conspiracy. Or the scientists are lizard people. Whatever.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement