Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,736 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do you agree that plane passengers don't fly the plane? Can you apply that knowledge to the concept of travelling by boat?

Does this look like a vessel designed for passengers?

NA54L5S32NGYHDOW3TZ6BQGU2A.JPG

She's not crew, but if you're going across the Atlantic in hurricane season, I think you need a bit more awareness than on an Airbus, a passenger liner or a cruiser.

I wish her a safe voyage, but it's a voyage she should not be on.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's an issue for our times no less than banning the bomb was a source of depression and great fear for an earlier generation. There really is no benefit to be had in disparaging previous generations. It leads to distrust, false accusations and ultimately communication breakdown. People as symbols are a danger to themselves in the sense that they can be undone and undermined by those who either wish to exploit them or bring them down. If we need an image it is something that endures.

Self disparaging of the older generation is the new version of virtue signalling.

The joke of it is when it comes to the real decisions on making changes to improv the environment the nimbyism comes out in force. It's great to have a symbol that we can elevate on a pedestal and do **** all.

What's even more hilarious is it's also easy to be so fixed on your climate fight when you don't have to pay for it and in this case the hypocrisy coming from a fairly privileged individual who would never be impacted by the changes she would want to put in place.

Finally i think it's quite telling that we are not ready to talk about climate change in a serious manner because there seems to be the thought that manipulating public perception by putting a wealthy puppet in place will drive change.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

is_that_so wrote: »
    Knowing is not the same as having the life experience to understand how it can be addressed. As others have said she is not a scientist.

And neither are you nor most of the people here opposed to her. She is the one saying listen to the scientists though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

bubblypop wrote: »
    People don't need a child to point them towards scientists.

They clearly do

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Does this look like a vessel designed for passengers?

She's not crew, but if you're going across the Atlantic in hurricane season, I think you need a bit more awareness than on an Airbus, a passenger liner or a cruiser.

I wish her a safe voyage, but it's a voyage she should not be on.
    They are using her name. A teen girl two weeks on that.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    I was going to link a tweet to someone wishing for a 'freak yachting accident'. However I see one of the regular scumbags who wishes harm on a child got here first and is hiding behind the mask of a 'joke'.

Deeply wrong to wish for that.

At the same time, I wish her a safe arrival but I have no objection to the yacht encountering less than perfect sailing conditions!
    If you are going to travel on a racing yacht you may as well get the full experience - and live to remember it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And neither are you nor most of the people here opposed to her. She is the one saying listen to the scientists though
    Who says I'm opposed to her? I respect what she believes and says but certainly not someone I would consult on this. You seem to be suggesting that none of the rest of us have figured that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

We’re so far apart on this one lola I’m not sure there’s going to be any agreement. I do see where you’re coming from and I get why you would admire her for her enthusiasm and her work. I admire her for that too. I think it’s great that she has such enthusiasm and passion for something she believes in.

This is absolutely something people are used to seeing in children no matter what country or society they were raised in, no matter what time they were raised in. According to Biblical accounts, Jesus was 12 when he started his journey of social justice advocacy :D But that’s why I said earlier that the idea of using children to promote adults beliefs is nothing new. Not too many are going to shoot the messenger when they’re a child, and the adults using the child as a shield know this. That’s what makes what the adults are doing wrong. That’s what ruffles my feathers. I don’t hold the child, Greta in this case, in any way responsible for “her” message.

I absolutely disagree with you that we don’t live in a world where adults protect their children and create a society where their children can thrive. That’s exactly what most adults do, and there will always be the few that will regale their children as the new Messiah. All bets are off when the child becomes an adult and then we can fire at will on the messenger, but while they’re a child, nobody is going to do that, because they believe children need protecting from adults who would seek to put any responsibility on a child before that child has developed the mental capacity and maturity to have adult interactions with adults.

I don’t find Greta the least bit inspirational, because she’s a child. I don’t take inspiration from children because my role in society as an adult is to inspire children so that when they become adults, they can do the things that adults do and they have the capacity to fully understand what they’re doing, as opposed to placing their trust in adults who it’s clear couldn’t care less about her welfare and care more about using a child to promote their own message and shield them and their message, from criticism. The novelty will wear off Greta when she grows up, only to have her replaced with another child. It’s very rare that children who attain fame in early childhood themselves go on to become mature adults who contribute to society.

So when a group of adults are demanding that people examine their attitudes to the long term welfare of our environment while using a child to do so, it’s only appropriate for other people to suggest that those people examine the long term consequences of their own actions first and what those actions could mean for a child that they’re supposed to protect from coming to harm.

So nothing a young person could do would ever inspire you?

That's the oddest attitude ever.

Your 'role in society'!? Jeez you're self important aren't you.

I really doubt it.:confused:

She'll be flying back though.

They are using her name. A teen girl two weeks on that.

If she has a bunch of sailing experience under her belt, then it'll be a great experience. I'm sure there's lots of 16 year olds with that background looking on with envy. I'm sure my 16 year old self would have loved a weekend of it... but crossing the Atlantic, in Hurricane season, she shouldn't be on that vessel if she doesn't have the experience.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    She'll be flying back though.

Oh yeah. Never thought of that.

I guess neither did she!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

She's not crew.

She's ballast.

She's ballast.

I hope she knows where to sit then :)

Is there even room for someone not on the team on that boat its tiny!?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

lawred2 wrote: »
    So nothing a young person could do would ever inspire you?

That's the oddest attitude ever.

Your 'role in society'!? Jeez you're self important aren't you.

Maybe you could explain what you think is odd about adults not taking their inspiration from children?

It’s my role as an adult in society is important, that role being to inspire and provide for and protect children, rather than weaponise them to promote my own beliefs.

I take it you disagree and perhaps that’s why you think my attitude is weird. That’s fair enough, but at least now you might understand why I disagree with what the adults in this case are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Only the enlightened demi-gods like you may have an opinion on this so? Suit yourself. I've already made far more of a contribution to this discussion than your sniping has.

I was aware of the climate strike but, being wary of how entertainment increasingly masquerades as news, I instinctively avoided the more hype filled coverage of the personalities involved as there are far more important things to pay attention to. From the links in the first page of the thread I was able to catch up quickly by reading up on her today.

She seems like a genuinely well intentioned person but my concerns about her background remain. Ayone can be a zealot for immediate action if it just means they go from a Porsche 911 to a Tesla S for their 17th birthday present, the representatives at the UN have more serious sacrifices to discuss.

Your first post was an hour after the OP's but you'd never heard of her before that. You must have done some serious research in that hour to come to such fully formed opinions.

You have zero credibility.

You have zero credibility.

Its an anon online forum no one has any credibility.

Gosh i should have stuck with the opera singing though .....I could have married a rich aristocrat and neglected my child's safety.

Maybe you could explain what you think is odd about adults not taking their inspiration from children?
    It’s my role as an adult in society is important, that role being to inspire and provide for and protect children, rather than weaponise them to promote my own beliefs.
    I take it you disagree and perhaps that’s why you think my attitude is weird. That’s fair enough, but at least now you might understand why I disagree with what the adults in this case are doing.

I fully agree with you with the disgraceful behaviour of the adults in this.

But these children, or rather youths (because I don't think it's accurate to lump 6 year old kids and 16 year old youths together like) are inspirational:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/rescuers-recognised-for-acts-of-bravery-in-dublin-ceremony-876958.html

But their actions should not be expected, and it is not their role. But is is inspirational to know what they could do .

But these children, or rather youths (because I don't think it's accurate to lump 6 year old kids and 16 year old youths together like) are inspirational:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/rescuers-recognised-for-acts-of-bravery-in-dublin-ceremony-876958.html

But their actions should not be expected, and it is not their role. But is is inspirational to know what they could do .

Cool. :)

• Advertisement

Nermal wrote: »
    Because it's obvious she's being deliberately built up by the media.

The attention she gets is not 'organic', it's orchestrated. It helps the media in getting clicks from supporters and from detractors, and it helps manufacture consensus for an environmental agenda. It's transparent manipulation. Of course that will make people mad!

It's a bizarre phenomenon. Since when did we value the opinions of children?

You make it sound like the media concocted her in a lab.

She decided to start her own protest about a topic she was passionate about. And here's the best bit, it was long before the media got involved. It started to snowball and eventually thousands of youngsters had joined her. THEN the media arrived.

Its a big story because its a young wan trying to do what the grown ups won't even attempt to do.

I personally think we're ****ed, I think we're beyond the point of return in terms of climate change, ice melting, seas rising, etc. Greta has my utmost admiration still. It's great to see someone of her age passionate about such an important thing. When I was her age I was playing headers at the side of a pub.

So maybe we should open up our ears and have a listen to the kids, they cant be any worse than the adults.

Her parents PR did.

This is her mother.

Her dad is a author, arts manager and producer, and actor.

They both have pr firms. She is represented by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ahh that’s very different, that’s admirable. Certainly I’d admire that girls actions. I admire Greta too for her conviction and dedication to what she believes in. I attend the Young Scientist Exhibition every year and I’m always full of admiration for those children’s achievements. I’m not inspired by what they’re doing, but I do admire what they are doing and I encourage them to keep doing what they’re doing and keep learning, experimenting, exploring and discovering.

What the adults are doing in foisting a child into the public domain and in front of world leaders isn’t inspiring. Greta appears to be just making emotional pleas with statistical models and evidence that she doesn’t fully understand (and has an advisor on board to correct her errors), and because she lacks the education and the understanding to take what she is being given and develop her own ideas around it, I don’t see how in another 10 years time she won’t still be the same child she is now, in the body of an adult.

Her parents PR did.

This is her mother.

It's quite genius actually, has the making of a PR man's wet dream. She's even immune to criticism because of her condition and in turn it's used as a near truth for what she is saying.

Her parents PR did.

This is her mother.

God your wan is NO opera singer that is WOEFUL.

can people please understand being able to sing from your diaphragm does NOT mean you are classically singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

She decided to start her own protest about a topic she was passionate about. And here's the best bit, it was long before the media got involved. It started to snowball and eventually thousands of youngsters had joined her. THEN the media arrived.

Its a big story because its a young wan trying to do what the grown ups won't even attempt to do.

I personally think we're ****ed, I think we're beyond the point of return in terms of climate change, ice melting, seas rising, etc. Greta has my utmost admiration still. It's great to see someone of her age passionate about such an important thing. When I was her age I was playing headers at the side of a pub.

So maybe we should open up our ears and have a listen to the kids, they cant be any worse than the adults.

What do you think caused climate change before the Industrial Age?

God your wan is NO opera singer that is WOEFUL.

can people please understand being able to sing from your diaphragm does NOT mean you are classically singing.
    Actually i take it back this isn't ...baad

she makes some really weird decisions though and the tempo of her runs is ..odd

Calhoun wrote: »
    It's quite genius actually, has the making of a PR man's wet dream. She's even immune to criticism because of her condition and in turn it's used as a near truth for what she is saying.
    What 16 yr old wears her hair in two heidi plaits EVERYDAY ?

I find it odd that you see no reason to ever see any inspiration in something a child could do.

Based on nothing other than your own perceived 'role in society'

For the record, I'm not remotely arsed about this particular case.

• Advertisement

What 16 yr old wears her hair in two heidi plaits EVERYDAY ?

Well being real that could be the autism and i don't mean that in a disparaging way. My daughter gets fixed on certain styles ECT when it comes to her hair. She kinda views it as more functional than something to style.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement