Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Two climate activists just back from the Climate Summit are about to be on the Ray Darcy show in a few minutes. Let's see how many hyperboles they use in the first minute...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,756 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

From the publishers of the video
    We offer an alternative to the lies & fake news of the mainstream media. We cover politics, the culture war, entertainment & current issues from a pro-European perspective

Yawn. Sweden's version of Gemma O'Dohery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

This poster regularly cites Libertarian think-tanks funded by the Koch family i.e. by oil oligarchs - now he is citing white-supremacist YouTube channels...

None of this gives people opposing efforts at arresting climate change, and deriding such efforts as 'Communism', any pause though - most of them in this thread are happily backslapping with this poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

KyussB wrote: »
    This poster regularly cites Libertarian think-tanks funded by the Koch family i.e. by oil oligarchs - now he is citing white-supremacist YouTube channels...

None of this gives people opposing efforts at arresting climate change, and deriding such efforts as 'Communism', any pause though - most of them in this thread are happily backslapping with this poster.

I wouldn't be bothered reading/watching any of those links. You have people dropping in scientific articles that actually prove them wrong. They don't watch or read/understand their own links.

Oh indeed, that's the point - he knows full well that nobody watches those videos. I do, howeveer, read up the source of the videos - never going to bother polluting my mind, with something I can expose as obvious propaganda, with a brief search before ever hitting 'Play' - as all people aught to...

• Advertisement

Oh indeed, that's the point - he knows full well that nobody watches those videos. I do, howeveer, read up the source of the videos - never going to bother polluting my mind with obvious propaganda.

Dead right. Meaningless rubbish spouted by the unhinged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

IMAGINE BEING THIS SHOOK BY A LITTLE GIRL LMFAO HOWLIN'!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

JJayoo wrote: »
    China currently have over 1 million Muslims detained in 'education centers', essentially imprisoned. Should be suspicious of anything China is up to, dodgy bunch

Correct. And India is messing with Kashmir. And Bolsonaro is a wannabe dictator. And Trump is a manchild. In all of this, man-made climate change exists and should be dealt with immediately. But China, India, Brazil and America won't be engaging anytime soon. So sit back, relax and pretend nothing's happening. Or pretend it's a great big lefty conspiracy. Or the scientists are lizard people. Whatever.

Are you ok? Is there someone we can call for you?

I'm fine thanks. In constant contact with reality.

What, like a Doctor? Sure you wouldn't believe them given their reliance on science and evidence.

• Advertisement

What, like a Doctor? Sure you wouldn't believe them given their reliance on science and evidence.

I'd be afraid they'd abduct me and take me to another planet. Hold on, on reflection, that might be a good thing.

See this is exactly what I mean, because you think I have a different opinion to you automatically I am one of the nutjobs who doesn't believe in science or evidence, or for some reason lizards?

Perfect example of the people I mentioned 2/3 posts back.

See this is exactly what I mean, because you think I have a different opinion to you automatically I am one of the nutjobs who doesn't believe in science or evidence, or for some reason lizards?

Perfect example of the people I mentioned 2/3 posts back.

I'm sorry. I'm obviously upsetting you in some way. What kind of person am I an example of?

I'm sorry. I'm obviously upsetting you in some way. What kind of person am I an example of?

Upsetting me? Bizarre coming from the person talking about going to other planets and talking to lizards.

And what kind of person do I think.ypu are? Well from my post that you actually quoted, you are the kind of person to lump everyone who doesn't 100% agree with you together. Which is strange since I have never once said I don't believe in climate change and I have probably done more to positively impact the climate/my local environment in a week than you have in your entire life,

But hey don't let that stop you from complaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

What type of heat pump? Ground sourced, or just the air-conditioning style unit?

Heat pumps seem pointless to me, unless combined with solar - but when combined with solar (at a high enough CoP), seem ideal - with energy storage, enough to serve all electrical + heating needs, off-grid.

It's only economical for your 'forever home', though - which you're going to stay in for at least the next 20 years - as the cost of solar, storage and the heat pump system, will take a long time to pay off based on todays costs.

Heat pumps that were installed in apartments in dun Laoghaire are corroding after 2 years.

300 of them in one block alone.

Heaps of junk.

Upsetting me? Bizarre coming from the person talking about going to other planets and talking to lizards.

And what kind of person do I think.ypu are? Well from my post that you actually quoted, you are the kind of person to lump everyone who doesn't 100% agree with you together. Which is strange since I have never once said I don't believe in climate change and I have probably done more to positively impact the climate/my local environment in a week than you have in your entire life,

But hey don't let that stop you from complaining

Well done. Keep fighting the good fight even if it's probably pointless. You, in particular, might enjoy this quote from Martin Luther: "Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would fall to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree."

lola85 wrote: »
    Heat pumps that were installed in apartments in dun Laoghaire are corroding after 2 years.

300 of them in one block alone.

Heaps of junk.
    Wow, that sounds like a seriously botched job. I wouldn't judge the tech based on that alone, though - shoddily built apartments are certainly not a new thing, here.

Wow, that sounds like a seriously botched job. I wouldn't judge the tech based on that alone, though - shoddily built apartments are certainly not a new thing, here.

Often the case where if one user of a component which has been installed in several locations on the same site has a problem, it will develop for most if not all other users. Usually down to purchasing chasing lowest cost available components.

A surprisingly frequent occurrence

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Often the case where if one user of a component which has been installed in several locations on the same site has a problem, it will develop for most if not all other users. Usually down to purchasing chasing lowest cost available components.
    A surprisingly frequent occurrence

Indeed. And yet another example of the type of 'green' tech being produced in China using coal powered energy and gobbled up by virtue signaling gob****es by way of we're 'doing something for the environment'.

Looking at the actual costs and lifespans of much of the existing renewable energy technology shows that much of it is not viable without direct subsidy and the use of vast amounts of fossil fuel in production and transportation.*

Like Ireland importing biomas by ship from Australia to produce electricity. The hundreds of thousands of gallons of fossil fuel required to do so is truely staggering. But hey let's all drive our EVs and feel smug. There's a lot of that of sure.

*Some previous issues detailed here.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/sep/08/heat-pumps-green-heating

The poster regularly peppers comments with the exact same bunch of phrases ad nauseam viz. Libertarian - Koch - Oligarch - White Supremacist - "Communism" "Backslapping" yada yada.

Yup as it's been said do often - it must be true - its all a big conspiracy by these Libertarian supporting , Koch loving, Oil Oligarch admiring, white supremacist video watching anti communist backslappers to discredit some posters on boards for sure.

shame on them!

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

There's no conspiring - it's right out in the open, the poster is citing Libertarian think-tanks funded by the Koch oil-oligarch family every other post (one of the most well known propagandists out there), and one of their latest posts is from a white supremacist YouTube channel...

There are zero links between what I post and Communism - there are at this stage dozens of direct and easily verified links with what that poster puts out and Libertarian propaganda sources.

It should come as little surprise to people, that those who promote propaganda pouring doubt on climate change, and who suffer repeated delusional paranoia about alleged 'Communists!', are Libertarians - as they are about the only type of people on Irish discussion Boards, who serially do that - and there is even direct linking to such sources...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

These kids really need to stop blaming people older than them.

Greta blasting people for stealing her childhood and dreams when she's from a wealthy family in Sweden is just narrow minded.

She's blaming all old people. Who are the ones who invented solar panels or electric cars, beyond meat burgers, the things she will say are the answer. Was it kids? No, it's the people she is blaming now.

Back in the day these "boomers" would walk to school, get their milk in re-used glass bottles, no foreign holidays, no consumption culture, yet they are the ones to blame?

Until these kids act better than the ones they are complaining about, I don't have any respect for them.

Because in 10 years when these kids are now working and that they'll still be buying the iPhone X40 and going abroad on planes.

The answer is population control.

I'd love to see Greta debate with someone.

"but she's only saying to listen to scientists" - if that's the case using kids is emotionally manipulative to get what you want.

As for Greta, does she eat meat? If not, she could do with some. She looks malnourished. Has the frame of a 12 year old and she's 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Here you go.

:confused:

And again, pointing to where the privilege lies is not racism.
    sabat wrote: »
    So you believe that on average black and other minority men would have a more favourable attitude to Thunberg than white men? Utter delusion.

I don't know the numbers on the attitude to Greta herself, but certainly climate change is taken more seriously by minorities in the US than it is by white people. And more seriously by women than by men.

If you'd like to demonstrate that the attitudes toward climate change (or Greta) are largely the same, please go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

lleti wrote: »

Greta blasting people for stealing her childhood and dreams when she's from a wealthy family in Sweden is just narrow minded.

She's blaming all old people. Who are the ones who invented solar panels or electric cars, beyond meat burgers, the things she will say are the answer. Was it kids? No, it's the people she is blaming now.

Back in the day these "boomers" would walk to school, get their milk in re-used glass bottles, no foreign holidays, no consumption culture, yet they are the ones to blame?

Until these kids act better than the ones they are complaining about, I don't have any respect for them.

Because in 10 years when these kids are now working and that they'll still be buying the iPhone X40 and going abroad on planes.

The answer is population control.

I'd love to see Greta debate with someone.

"but she's only saying to listen to scientists" - if that's the case using kids is emotionally manipulative to get what you want.

As for Greta, does she eat meat? If not, she could do with some. She looks malnourished. Has the frame of a 12 year old and she's 16.

Straw man. Not all. Tu quoque. Ad hominem. That's quite a collection.

To be fair, I'm not sure what the formal name of the "you should be grateful for all I did for you" fallacy is, but it should probably be called the abusive husband fallacy or perhaps "lleti's Boner".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

To be fair, I'm not sure what the formal name of the "you should be grateful for all I did for you" fallacy is, but it should probably be called the abusive husband fallacy or perhaps "lleti's Boner".

I wish they would have put the pop at her appearance at the beginning so I could have just ignored the post sooner. Registered today for that too, nice.

There's no conspiring - it's right out in the open, the poster is citing Libertarian think-tanks funded by the Koch oil-oligarch family every other post (one of the most well known propagandists out there), and one of their latest posts is from a white supremacist YouTube channel...
    There are zero links between what I post and Communism - there are at this stage dozens of direct and easily verified links with what that poster puts out and Libertarian propaganda sources.It should come as little surprise to people, that those who promote propaganda pouring doubt on climate change, and who suffer repeated delusional paranoia about alleged 'Communists!', are Libertarians - as they are about the only type of people on Irish discussion Boards, who serially do that - and there is even direct linking to such sources...

Thank you for proving the point made in my previous post - in the very first paragraph. Well done ;)

I'm a millenial myself but a kid whinging about her childhood being stolen helps no one and is not going to win people over.

As for the "you won't have to face the consequences so you don't care." commentary, why would people in their 30s and 40s not be affected if things are so bad things will go tits up in 12 years? Do boomers not have kids? Or are they saying boomers don't care about their kids? So why would kids care about their "future kids" either?

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I wish they would have put the pop at her appearance at the beginning so I could have just ignored the post sooner. Registered today for that too, nice.

Clever of the movement to put a kid as the face of it, any criticism is just used against people "she's just a kid!!! I can't believe you're so mean!!!"

It's why a debate with her wouldn't settle much because when someone one ups her everyone will just say "well done, you outsmarted a kid".

How come it's ok to comment on trumps or johnsons appearance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Yeah man why blame those actually responsible?
    I'm a millenial myself

That much is obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭jackboy

And again, pointing to where the privilege lies is not racism.

Pushing the concept of racial privilege is racist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement