Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Both stoke rage for personal gain. The difference is one does it with humour the other without.

Can you point out the humour in this please:

‘How dare you sail to America on a carbon fibre yacht that you didn’t build which cost £15million, that you didn’t earn, and which has a back-up diesel engine that you didn’t mention.'
    'We gave you mobile phones and laptops and the internet. We created the social media you use every day and we run the banks that pay for it all,‘So how dare you stand there and lecture us, you spoilt brat.’

Sounds like a triggered and humourless grumpy, rightwing old man to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Both stoke rage for personal gain. The difference is one does it with humour the other without.

Can you point out the humour in this please:

‘How dare you sail to America on a carbon fibre yacht that you didn’t build which cost £15million, that you didn’t earn, and which has a back-up diesel engine that you didn’t mention.'
    'We gave you mobile phones and laptops and the internet. We created the social media you use every day and we run the banks that pay for it all,‘So how dare you stand there and lecture us, you spoilt brat.’

Sounds like a triggered and humourless grumpy, rightwing old man to me.

You are basing his stoking up rage and his humour on a single paragraph?

Why the need to point out his age and his gender. You are no better than those who dismiss Thunberg as a young girl.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Thunberg is stoking rage for personal gain? Can you prove that?

Her motivation is self interest and she is clear about this. She wants the world to act so she doesn’t feel afraid, so that she doesn’t have to panic.
    Also personal gain is not simply money. Would a 16 year old normally sail with minor European royalty in a multi million euro yacht? Or address parliaments or the UN?
    Do you believe that Greta Thunberg or her parents have not benefited in any way from her “angry eco activist celebrity”?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Her motivation is self interest and she is clear about this. She wants the world to act so she doesn’t feel afraid, so that she doesn’t have to panic.
    Also personal gain is not simply money. Would a 16 year old normally sail with minor European royalty in a multi million euro yacht? Or address parliaments or the UN?
    Do you believe that Greta Thunberg or her parents have not benefited in any way from her “angry eco activist celebrity”?

You can't honestly believe this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,756 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You could use your weak argument to to suggest every action anyone does is motivated by self interest.

Person A - 'I want to be a good teacher to all my students'
    Person B - 'then you're only a teacher because of your self interests'

What about all the awards which she has won and donated the entirety of any prize fund to climate defence initiatives.

• Advertisement

hetuzozaho wrote: »

Well I am only basing my opinion on what she has said. What are you basing your opinion on?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'll take that as a no.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Well I am only basing my opinion on what she has said.

So she said she started all this to have a go on a yacht? Link please.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Completely false equivalence. Clarkson stokes rage on behalf of his tax dodging employer for personal gain. I see no reason to suspect the same disingenuity on the part of Thunberg.

Untrue. Most likley both are products of their respective environments. For certain both seem to love the limelight. Not a particular fan of either truth be told...

You are basing his stoking up rage and his humour on a single paragraph?

Why the need to point out his age and his gender. You are no better than those who dismiss Thunberg as a young girl.

Just pointing out the true person behind the person who feels triggered enough to rant at a young woman trying to highlight climate change. The idea that Jeremy and Greta have similar motivations is very funny.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1177991604025643009

7 million, the crowds are crazy. Is the plan for the same size marches next week too does anyone know?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

gozunda wrote: »
    Most likley both are products of their respective environments. For certain both seem to love the limelight....

Nonsense though obviously feel free to back this up.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Most likley both are products of their respective environments. For certain both seem to love the limelight....

What is it about Greta that makes you think she loves the limelight?

She is focused on drawing as much attention as she can on her cause, that is very different to wanting the camera to be on her all the time.

There is no evidence to suggest your position is accurate.

Ok so let's get the the point of this thread - why bother sailing to the US, when it was shown that voyage will create more carbon with the flights of the crew, when she could simply have Skyped her speech?

Why the two weeks spent on a millionaires yacht with a bucket for a Khazi? It makes no sense whatsoever ...

Ok so let's get the the point of this thread - why bother sailing to the US, when it was shown that voyage will create more carbon with the flights of the crew, when she could dimly have Skyped her speech?

Why the two weeks spent on a millionaires yacht with a bucket for a Khazi? It makes no sense whatsoever ...

A well known young woman sails across the ocean and then addresses the UN on climate change. Or she gives a Skype interview. Same publicity obviously.

Well I am only basing my opinion on what she has said.

So she said she started all this to have a go on a yacht? Link please.

Total strawman.

Ok so let's get the the point of this thread - why bother sailing to the US, when it was shown that voyage will create more carbon with the flights of the crew, when she could dimly have Skyped her speech?

Oh I didn't realise you didn't know what it was about: Google stuff like "raising awareness", "awareness campaigns" and "protests".

It's interesting and used a lot for different things - and in this case has Millions marching for change of a Friday.

Skype is great technology though - but not for awareness campaigns etc.

What is it about Greta that makes you think she loves the limelight?

She is focused on drawing as much attention as she can on her cause, that is very different to wanting the camera to be on her all the time. There is no evidence to suggest your position is accurate.

Duh seriously! She is up in front of crowds and cameras at every opportunity. The two week stunt on the yatch with her own PR guy. Her newly published book etc etc. How much 'evidence' do you require?
    A well known young woman sails across the ocean and then addresses the UN on climate change. Or she gives a Skype interview. Same publicity obviously.

I rest my case your honour ...

You could use your weak argument to to suggest every action anyone does is motivated by self interest.

Person A - 'I want to be a good teacher to all my students'
    Person B - 'then you're only a teacher because of your self interests'

What about all the awards which she has won and donated the entirety of any prize fund to climate defence initiatives.

Are you could believe the reasons someone gives for their motivation.

Maybe you know better and are mansplaining on her behalf. “No when she said that she really meant....”
    it’s patronising.

Oh I didn't realise you didn't know what it was about: Google stuff like "raising awareness", "awareness campaigns" and "protests".It's interesting and used a lot for different things - and in this case has Millions marching for change of a Friday. Skype is great technology though - but not for awareness campaigns etc.

Raising awareness of what exactly? That her voyage was a PR stunt which produced more carbon emissions than simply her and her father taking a flight. And still attend ptotests or whatever. Little more than utter hypocrisy.

It's a pity she calls for technology to help solve global warming but doesn't trust it to 'deliver her message' ...

• Advertisement

Duh seriously! She is up in front of crowds and cameras at every opportunity. The two week stunt on the yatch with her own PR guy. Her newly published book etc etc. How much 'evidence' do you require?

I rest my case your honour ...

I'm afraid your case has fallen down. She crossed the sea and addressed the UN. You are wrong if you think a Skype interview would generate the same publicity. I won't insult you by explaining why.

Though I don't doubt her motivations, I'm very happy if she becomes a millionaire from this. Tremendous value for money given the awareness of climate change that she has created.

Raising awareness of what exactly?

I think you need to read up more on the topic of this thread. These are very basic questions that can be googled.

She stepped back at a protest in NY and said she would leave it to the organisers there to speak even though she was present.
    That PR guy was a cameraman which is quite different.
    The book is titled 'No one is too small to make a difference' Is that not indicative of someone trying to empower others. It's not like it was titled to be self-praising.

Any real evidence of her trying to monetize this or gain personal recognition or is it just all going to be routed from your position of hating her?

She stepped back at a protest in NY and said she would leave it to the organisers there to speak even though she was present.That PR guy was a cameraman which is quite different. The book is titled 'No one is too small to make a difference' Is that not indicative of someone trying to empower others. It's not like it was titled to be self-praising. Any real evidence of her trying to monetize this or gain personal recognition or is it just all going to be routed from your position of hating her?

And yet she sailed across the ocean whilst the crew took flights. How the fek does that raise awareness of anything as per the basic premise of this thread. No one has answered that. Why not fly? Why the hypocrisy? Did they honestly think the great unwashed wouldn't notice?

What exactly was her cameraman there for except PR? The Book - The camera appearances - The interviews and yet I am asked "what limelight?" Lol. You have the answers. Dont like that? Sorry it doesnt suit the narrative.. Btw I mentioned nothing about monetization btw.
    And despite the usual hyperbole no one is hating her (sic).

And yet she sailed across the ocean whilst the crew took flights. How the fek does that raise awareness of anything as per the basic premise of this thread. No one has answered that. Why not fly? Why the hypocrisy? Did they honestly think the great unwashed wouldn't notice?

What exactly was her cameraman there for except PR? The Book - The camera appearances - The interviews and yet I am asked "what limelight?" Lol. You have the answers. Dont like that? Sorry it doesnt suit the narrative...

The snide comments really don't help you make your point though all that you seem willing to put forward is that you don't think much of Thunberg via your silly comments.

I had a read of the OP. I suppose a young woman expressing herself and showing concern for the world as a whole triggers certain men for some reason. It's all a bit sad really.

And yet she sailed across the ocean whilst the crew took flights. How the fek does that raise awareness of anything as per the basic premise of this thread.

But it raised awareness. It meant it was in the news every day for weeks. People talking about the UN climate summit.
    Multiple threads here. Millions marching.

Job done no?

The snide comments really don't help you make your point though all that you seem willing to put forward is that you don't think much of Thunberg via your silly comments.I had a read of the OP. I suppose a young woman expressing herself and showing concern for the world as a whole triggers certain men for some reason. It's all a bit sad really.

There is no snide comments either. I have yet to read a coherent comment which does not involve attacking the poster. But what's new eh?

Are you psychic that you and others can determine gender online lol. It's very sad really.
    But it raised awareness. It meant it was in the news every day for weeks. People talking about the UN climate summit.
    Multiple threads here. Millions marching.

Job done no?

Nope. Not when the hypocrisy of the voyage is the foundation on which the whole thing falls. But there you go ...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What exactly was her cameraman there for except PR? The Book - The camera appearances - The interviews and yet I am asked "what limelight?" Lol. You have the answers. Dont like that? Sorry it doesnt suit the narrative.. Btw I mentioned nothing about monetization btw.
    And despite the usual hyperbole no one "hates her" (sic).

You should check up on how exactly to use the adverb 'sic'. You've being using it incorrectly throughout this thread.

The rest of your post does not refer to answers, but your opinion, which I can disagree with it because it is non evidence based.

Nope. Not when the hypocrisy of the voyage is the foundation on which the whole thing falls. But there you go ...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So you don't think she is raising awareness? Surely that is not factual?

I didn't even know there was a UN climate summit till this year, because of Greta sailing there. I'm an idiot but learning and seeing the damage we are doing to the planet. I'm sure I am not unique.

• Advertisement

You should check up on how exactly to use the adverb 'sic'. You've being using it incorrectly throughout this thread. The rest of your post does not refer to answers, but your opinion, which I can disagree with it because it is non evidence based.

And your comment is showing a clear lack of comprehension as the term 'sic' also refers to faulty reasoning not just grammatical errors. My comment which you have bizarrely ignored posed a question as to why the voyage on a boat which produced more carbon than if she and her father simply flew. They are the facts. Not opinion. That question has not been answered at all despite all the hyperbole ...

Lol looks like I've hit a nerve. Lots of seriously 'triggered' comments indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement