Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Thargor wrote: »
    I get a very disturbing vibe from people like the OP and loons that show up ranting about her in any climate change threads, not suggesting paedophilia, but it's just bizarre that a young girl with an interest in environmentalism or politics triggers such intense negative feelings in so many adult males, this isn't just 'oh Leonardo DiCaprio or Al Gore are at it again', they're literally foaming at the mouth over it and flinging slurs at her and her family. Why? Something definitely not right about it.

Because many men simply cannot deal with women or girls having opinions and especially when those opinions are widely respected. I've seen it when I was line managing men, I've seen it in hobby groups (I have stereotypically 'nerdy' hobbies mostly done by men), I see it now at work. There are so many men who truly, genuinely believe that women should not have 'ideas above their station'. They do not respect women or their beliefs or their opinions. They seem to see women as objects or as inferior little beings who can be easily charmed and influenced. The second this kind of man realises you aren't just a pretty face, a silly little girl who will laugh at their jokes and fawn all over them, they turn on you very viciously.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,736 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I can assure you. Every comment I have made would be repeated about a boy of the same age and - my opinion - puppet status. And yes a boy of that age could be a puppet too.

Actually some guys might be holding back a little and would be brutal to a boy... and that she has autism.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Because many men simply cannot deal with women or girls having opinions and especially when those opinions are widely respected. I've seen it when I was line managing men, I've seen it in hobby groups (I have stereotypically 'nerdy' hobbies mostly done by men), I see it now at work. There are so many men who truly, genuinely believe that women should not have 'ideas above their station'. They do not respect women or their beliefs or their opinions. They seem to see women as objects or as inferior little beings who can be easily charmed and influenced. The second this kind of man realises you aren't just a pretty face, a silly little girl who will laugh at their jokes and fawn all over them, they turn on you very viciously.

That's just toxic nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

That's just toxic nonsense.

Aaaaaand there you go making my point.

34 years of lived experiences totally dismissed because it's not what you wanted to hear.

Now, that's toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
    I get a very disturbing vibe from people like the OP and loons that show up ranting about her in any climate change threads, not suggesting paedophilia, but it's just bizarre that a young girl with an interest in environmentalism or politics triggers such intense negative feelings in so many adult males, this isn't just 'oh Leonardo DiCaprio or Al Gore are at it again', they're literally foaming at the mouth over it and flinging slurs at her and her family. Why? Something definitely not right about it.

This seems slightly odd. Yes i have heard and seen many people criticize leo and al ..or bono etc

• Advertisement

If anyone hasn't read the book written about Greta and her sister they should.

She clearly IS a vulnerable person.

Scenes from the Heart

Which earned a lot of money for her family etc...is a harrowing read.

It does make you think if Greta will be ok.

https://quillette.com/2019/04/23/self-harm-versus-the-greater-good-greta-thunberg-and-child-activism/
    Greta is eleven years old and has gone two months without eating. Her heart rate and blood pressure show clear signs of starvation. She has stopped speaking to anyone but her parents and younger sister, Beata.
    And the global school strike for climate is led by a girl with a long and tragic history of self-harm to her own body.

In Scenes from the Heart, when Greta eventually starts eating again, she only allows herself certain foods. Her mother has to prepare the same food every day for Greta to bring to school and keep in the school refrigerator: pancakes filled with rice. Greta will eat them only if there is no sticker with her name on the container: stickers, paper and newspapers trigger Greta’s OCD against eating.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/23/greta-thunberg-autism
    As her anxieties intensified in adolescence there was inadequate support. She ended up in both NHS- and privately run hellholes, learning self-harm from other patients, secluded and frequently restrained.

Clearly people are helping her with all of this campaigning companies etc. I don't think she is as high functioning as we are led to believe having read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

lawred2 wrote: »
    I find it odd that you see no reason to ever see any inspiration in something a child could do.

Based on nothing other than your own perceived 'role in society'

For the record, I'm not remotely arsed about this particular case.

You’re reading far too much into nothing lawred to be honest. There isn’t anything unusual in not seeing something inspirational for myself in something a child can do. I’m not a child so I’m not going to be inspired by what children do, it’s very simple. I believe that adults are supposed to inspire children, not the other way around.

I don’t see anything inspirational about Greta for other children and I don’t mean that in a bad way and please don’t take it that way. I see a girl who is simply repeating what is being fed to her by adults and she doesn’t appear to have any real understanding of what she is preaching (goes back to the child preachers I mentioned earlier who are just mimicking adults who have inspired them). She doesn’t really have anything to offer in terms of inspiration because she admits she isn’t a scientist herself, she just wants politicians to listen to scientists.

Meanwhile children the same age as her are being inspired by the adults in their lives to learn, experiment, discover and explore all sorts of science and develop their own theories and understanding while Greta appears to parroting what she has been spoon-fed by adults who are using her to their advantage.

How do you see the future for Greta? Fifteen minutes of fame on social media, or developing the capacity to truly change society for the better without all the fanfare? The scientists who develop a strategy to tackle climate change had best stay out of the limelight in case they’re ripped apart for their terrible fashion sense :pac:

Comet scientist Dr Matt Taylor’s shirt was awful, but what should he have worn on TV instead?

I can see the headlines on social media now -

“Nobody cares that you just saved the human race from extinction, that shirt! :eek:”

Sometimes I’m not sure it would be such a bad thing if we were nuked from orbit :pac:

From what i can tell from her book she is incapable of functioning without around the clock parental support.

That isn't her fault its just the way she is. She can't eat or be relied upon not to self harm unless her mother supervises her. That is what its says in the book.

How is supposed to last the duration of this trip safely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Feisar wrote: »
    As long as she sails back.
    AllForIt wrote: »
    How is Saint Greta getting back, anyone know?
    I'm guessing she will make her triumphant return to Sweden on the back of a friendly dolphin.
    Or perhaps even on a narwhal, which is a cross between a dolphin and a unicorn.
    "Whats that you are saying Flipper; Thanks for saving the world? Oh, you're welcome."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Classic Hegelian dialectics in play. The problem is offered up to us. Propaganda is used to garner support and get the desired reaction from the public. Once the public is softened up enough by the propaganda then they will accept the solution. Get poor and loose basic freedoms to save the planet, that's the solution. That doesn't apply to the aristocrat from Monaco though, the real "climate sacrifice" only applies to the little people.

That's not how I see it. What I see is a bunch of people pissed off because they don't want to put up with the inconvenience or cost of doing anything. Instead, they just project and grump about all the bloody do-gooders.
    Then there are the people who will fight tooth and nail to frame climate change as some sort of conspiracy.

The super-wealthy will continue to live better than the rest of us 'green' or not, but that doesn't mean we have to burn everything down just to spite them.
    It amazes me how far people will go to stick it to the man/other team/political party. People deliberately buying plastic straws to litter the place with aren't taking a political stance, they just need to cop on to themselves.

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    That's not how I see it. What I see is a bunch of people pissed off because they don't want to put up with the inconvenience or cost of doing anything. Instead, they just project and grump about all the bloody do-gooders.
    Then there are the people who will fight tooth and nail to frame climate change as some sort of conspiracy.

The super-wealthy will continue to live better than the rest of us 'green' or not, but that doesn't mean we have to burn everything down just to spite them.
    It amazes me how far people will go to stick it to the man/other team/political party. People deliberately buying plastic straws to litter the place with aren't taking a political stance, they just need to cop on to themselves.
    That's not the case. People do want to help. They just want something realistic with a hope of working.

And suggested by someone on planet earth.

As regards inconvenience etc ...people need to be met half way. You don't get everything you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

That's not the case. People do want to help. They just want something realistic with a hope of working.

As regards inconvenience etc ...people need to be met half way. You don't get everything you want.

It's easier for the more extreme climate folk to just put it that the stupid in the masses won't accept anything. Rather than having a more mature conversation and bringing realistic options to the table.

I remember during the local elections one fool saying that if you didn't vote for the green party you were against climate change action.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,698 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

From what i can tell from her book she is incapable of functioning without around the clock parental support.

That isn't her fault its just the way she is. She can't eat or be relied upon not to self harm unless her mother supervises her. That is what its says in the book.

How is supposed to last the duration of this trip safely?

You haven't read her book have you.

You have read a review of the book from a conservative commentator who was likely prejudiced before they read it to find issue with it.

I'm not saying there aren't genuine people, but the people getting triggered by a little girl are pretty bitter about it. What some people consider realistic is no taxes or any real change to what they're comfortable with, and that doesn't tick the 'hope of working' box.
    Either way, it's not like a negotiation where there are two sides that can come to an agreement, there's no meeting half way with the climate. We're either making it worse or we're not and the consensus seems to be with the former.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The Earth used to be a lot warmer than it is now.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geologic_temperature_record

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

Faugheen wrote: »
    I was going to link a tweet to someone wishing for a 'freak yachting accident'.

She'll be fine. She can walk on water, according to half of this thread.

I'm not saying there aren't genuine people, but the people getting triggered by a little girl are pretty bitter about it. What some people consider realistic is no taxes or any real change to what they're comfortable with, and that doesn't tick the 'hope of working' box.
    Either way, it's not like a negotiation where there are two sides that can come to an agreement, there's no meeting half way with the climate. We're either making it worse or we're not and the consensus seems to be with the former.

There are also people who are big supporters of this girl who are using it to virtue signal but wouldn't change a thing.

Look at bus connect ruined by a very small group of people how in the hell can we proceed with it when we are allowing Nimybism to slow progress.

All I personally ask is reasonable solutions that are achievable and if they require capital investment that there is help to do it.

I can tell you one thing the party that implements green measures without making it viable will sign their own death warrant. There in lies the problem though the greens saw it in the recent message they like Greta are being used to increase the taxes on the lower tiers of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,698 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Nermal wrote: »

tenor.gif

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Nermal wrote: »

Nice to know you would rather have a pop at people who support her than someone who would wish harm on a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

A young girl wants to clean up the planet and is an inspiration to pretty much everyone, and somehow bitter internet types find a way of being bitter about it, jesus christ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

mickdw wrote: »
    Have not read the whole thread here but i just thought it was nuts having this girl doing a zero carbon atlantic crossing but with the worlds media covering the launch live.
    I laughed. As she was preparing for off, you had sky news live from a boat and within shot was another power boat with camera crew on board. Imagine all the vans and crews for doing the live coverage.
    I didnt see a camera helicopter but it was likely there too. The whole thing is a laugh. I get that she is trying to raise awareness but when that awareness has a worse environmental effect than her flying around the world, it needs to be called out for the bull**** it is.

Proof that someone will always find a way to complain even when you go leagues out of your way to please their pedantry.

Calhoun wrote: »
    There are also people who are big supporters of this girl who are using it to virtue signal but wouldn't change a thing.

I don't doubt it for a second, and plenty of celebrities and the likes who use charities and causes to stay at the centre of attention, but I think you have to skim off the scum floating at the top rather than let it ruin the whole cause.
    As for the carbon taxes and other green charges, politicians have to do their part and be held to account if they start lining their pockets or misusing funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Fair play to the young one. Some of the delusional comments and 'jokes' about a 16 year old girl worried about her generations future on this planet are absolutely pathetic.

I don't doubt it for a second, and plenty of celebrities and the likes who use charities and causes to stay at the centre of attention, but I think you have to skim off the scum floating at the top rather than let it ruin the whole cause.
    As for the carbon taxes and other green charges, politicians have to do their part and be held to account if they start lining their pockets or misusing funds.

The big problem is going to be distribution of the pain as we move forward and how it impacts on climate.

It's kinda like we see with the likes of India eft in the past burning allot of carbon fuels and basically saying why should we stop when you didn't.

I think we will have a microversion of it as people are asked to change, it will be a case of why should I suffer when others can pay their way out of it. That's why I am for climate change but it has to be sustainable and coupled with social politics within reason. Sometimes the greater good will have to prevail and hard decisions made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

What 16 yr old wears her hair in two heidi plaits EVERYDAY ?

What's your problem with Heidi plaits? Im a grown up and regularly wear them. Lots of people do. Strange (although not the strangest on this thread) you would take an issue with her hairstyle

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭headtheball14

Clearly people are helping her with all of this campaigning companies etc. I don't think she is as high functioning as we are led to believe having read that.
    Have you read the book or the articles quoted. I hadn’t then did, The quote you used from the guardian is not about Greta Thur berg, they are discussing another child with autism. Considering you are providing evidence and telling people to read the book you should care about not missrepresenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

If anyone hasn't read the book written about Greta and her sister they should.

She clearly IS a vulnerable person.

Scenes from the Heart

Which earned a lot of money for her family etc...is a harrowing read.

It does make you think if Greta will be ok.

https://quillette.com/2019/04/23/self-harm-versus-the-greater-good-greta-thunberg-and-child-activism/

Shouldn't you read the book first before telling people to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Honestly if your interpretation of anyone disagreeing with a woman is that it must be because of misogyny then you're the person with a serious problem in how you view the opposite sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Calhoun wrote: »
    It's easier for the more extreme climate folk to just put it that the stupid in the masses won't accept anything. Rather than having a more mature conversation and bringing realistic options to the table.

I remember during the local elections one fool saying that if you didn't vote for the green party you were against climate change action.

I heard on the radio last night that a lot of leaving very students were taking up environmental studies because they were worried about climate change, obviously a complete load of baloney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Honestly if your interpretation of anyone disagreeing with a woman is that it mist be because of misogyny then you're the person with a serious problem in how you view the opposite sex.
    But it is a rather curious feature of the criticism.

Even on this thread it's the usual middle-aged male underachievers who make up the vast majority of those lining up to take a pop at a campaigner. And it's the same culprits every time the story is about a woman.

What's that about?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement