Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Useful idiots gobbling up the conspiracy theories and spewing righteous indignation.

If you haven't a logical rebuttal then ad homina is all you really have left.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

It's funny how all these protests etc get such support yet there's mad demand for a ****ing hot tub from Aldi. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

lleti wrote: »
    I wonder what Tintin thinks of Attenboroughs belief that overpopulation is one of the biggest problems we face.

Not a peep from her though about overpopulation.

I wonder what her thoughts are on all these 3rd world migrants going into a world of consumerism?

Maybe she'll do one of those twitter QandAs and you could ask her. You're obviously very interested in her views on things, do you follow her on Twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

If you haven't a logical rebuttal then ad homina is all you really have left.

That or reductio ad absurdum. It's surprising and not surprising that people come on here to attack and ridicule a 16 year old girl who is trying to publicise climate change. I often wonder what it is that makes them so afraid. The truth, perhaps.

That or reductio ad absurdum. It's surprising and not surprising that people come on here to attack and ridicule a 16 year old girl who is trying to publicise climate change. I often wonder what it is that makes them so afraid. The truth, perhaps.

Think there's been some jealousy alluded to in some posts also.

Many reasons I guess. Us humans are complex folk at times!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not remotely surprised. There's always plenty of people willing to sign up to the edgy cause of the day be it Trump, Brexit, climate change cynicism, anti-vaxxer nonsense, etc...

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Maybe she'll do one of those twitter QandAs and you could ask her. You're obviously very interested in her views on things, do you follow her on Twitter?

No I don't use twitter except the odd time I search to see what people are saying.

I wonder what her attitude towards babies is considering the damage they do to the environment.

"I just had a baby"

Tintin: "How dare you!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I'm not remotely surprised. There's always plenty of people willing to sign up to the edgy cause of the day be it Trump, Brexit, climate change cynicism, anti-vaxxer nonsense, etc...

They are handy vehicles for other frustrations. People are whipped up into an entitlement frenzy and then they're told that them uns over there are going to take everything away from them. I just love my new word that I found on this thread. Warmunist. It encapsulates everything that they've been told to be afraid of. It's quite funny at times, to see the conditioning play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

wha?

No I don't use twitter except the odd time I search to see what people are saying.

I wonder what her attitude towards babies is considering the damage they do to the environment.

"I just had a baby"

Tintin: "How dare you!"

Best way to know is to follow her on twitter. Asking here probably not.

Trust me you don't want MSM in between you and the facts.

(Off topic, but there are some fascinating twitter accounts, the president of US being the funniest/scariest IMO. I highly recommend twitter)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's funny how all these protests etc get such support yet there's mad demand for a ****ing hot tub from Aldi. :pac:

Yes demand from idiots hell bent on consumerism

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Putin, Trump, Farage, Katie Hopkins, Piers Morgan, Jeremy Clarkson, Gemma O'Doherty all think she hasn't a clue.There's some sort of right wing royal flush in there. If the above think you're an idiot, it's another sure sign you're on the right track.

Doesn't work like that. As to criricism of political or personal beliefs - where any of that lot (greta included) come out with bs / have a tendency to annoy people - it sure don't mean that makes one of them more right or even less idiotic than the other.

What's that called were people attribute actions to people, assuming they are the same people?

Is there a term for it?

E. G. We don't know that the marchers are buying the hot tub but it sounds cool to say that they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

There is a theory that climate change is being used to stifle the economy of upcoming countries that are a) based on manufacturing or b) Just producing more waste due to quicker acceleration.

I dunno, I do find greta kind of annoying. I think it's because it's obvious she's a front and probably doesn't really have an opinion of her own.

All this worry about climate change and yet a completely random, not too unlikely event like a solar storm could cause absolute havoc on the planet.

They better hope a solar storm like 1859 doesn't happen again!
    The solar storm of 1859 (also known as the Carrington Event) was a powerful geomagnetic storm during solar cycle 10
    A solar storm of this magnitude occurring today would cause widespread electrical disruptions, blackouts and damage due to extended outages of the electrical grid.
    The solar storm of 2012 was of similar magnitude, but it passed Earth's orbit without striking the planet, missing by nine days.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    What's that called were people attribute actions to people, assuming they are the same people?

Is there a term for it?

E. G. We don't know that the marchers are buying the hot tub but it sounds cool to say that they are.

But surely they have to be the same people considering all the support those protests got and the "green wave" in the elections?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

KyussB wrote: »
    Eh? Where am I backing China?
    If you've got such a phobia of Communists, why are you buying Communist-manufactured consumer electronics? It's pretty much a certainty that many of the components in your computer and smartphone are produced by the Evil Communists you so despise - again making you a hypocrite.The same idiots happy to use the "posting from their iPhone's manufactured in China, made of rare earth's" etc. argument against people like Greta, or who are otherwise wanting action against climate change - are the same people having fits of Tourette's, screeching "Communism!" every time they hear anything which make them remotely nervous/uncomfortable - yet at the same time they are guilty of a variation of the very same arguments, because they are almost certainly posting from consumer electronics manufactured in Communist China...

Christ but you've got communists on the brain. :rolleyes: Care to stick with the topic and not go off on the usual rant no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Obviously this person is either a troll or a total wackjob but f*cking hell!!

Talk about flight shaming in Sweden...when is baby shaming going to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Its not going to happen. Give up meat if youre so concerned maybe, livestock are a huge strain on the planet.

• Advertisement

But surely they have to be the same people considering all the support those protests got and the "green wave" in the elections?

I mean we don't know that - but it was a great soundbite. I was wondering is there a term for that kind of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

RE climate change and pollution and consumer society's throw away culture:
    to anyone who has a back garden and kids who play there, or grow veg., (the kids are optional). Anything that you would not dump in the back garden or emmited to the air should not be dumped or emmited to the Earth. Think about it.
    Lead based paint was known to be hazardous in the 1880's , but it took until the 1970's to start phasing it out. Why? Because the lead industry was making money and spent some of that money on lobbying against any restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

There is a theory that climate change is being used to stifle the economy of upcoming countries that are a) based on manufacturing or b) Just producing more waste due to quicker acceleration.

I dunno, I do find greta kind of annoying. I think it's because it's obvious she's a front and probably doesn't really have an opinion of her own.
    "i dunno i find greta kind of annoying"

12 year olds on boards now..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Or being alive shaming? being alive has a carbon footptint

This sounds like nonsense to me.

I fail to see how it's obvious or true even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It annoys me that a party as useless as the greens and their soft leader will get a a huge boost in the next election , and how they will pat themselves on the back.

They have done absolutely zero but will happily hop on the bandwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Or being alive shaming? being alive has a carbon footptint

Was thinking about something similar today, for any previous problems/worries/whatever adults tried to console and alleviate children's worries but not now. Cold war, troubles, or any other regional problems, it'll be fine. Be calm and carry on and that little bit of desk will stop a nuke.

But now there's adults terrifying children, when many of them are already going threw what they believe to be world ending events and then to add to that with fear mongering about actual world ending events. Not only is your life over because you didn't get invited to that party but the worlds lifes over too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Super-Sexy-Work-Outfits-For-Modern-Women-25.jpg

If Greta looked like this then all the guys who are knocking her would be praising her.
    It's a funny olde world, Greta's cause is a noble one, but people are getting personal with her, knocking her, not her cause

You think this is about appearance, were discussing a child here, this post is sick and wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

This sounds like nonsense to me.

I fail to see how it's obvious or true even.

Eh, most 16 year olds don't have an opinon of their own. It's filtered through their parents, friends, media and culture. I'd even wager that you do not have a true personal personality until you are , at least, 25.

You know, I don't think it is nonsense. I was teaching a University Proffesor of Physics/Engineering/ something along those lines, and he was actually quite supportive of this idea and the theory that the climate change we are expereincing (if there is even climate change) is more just a seasonal weather change that happens every certain amount of time in the earth's development.

I dunno, I do kind of think , whether climate change is happening or not, that it is being used to stimmy the quickly developing Asain and Latin American countries that will have more waste in the beginning as they are moving faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

JJayoo wrote: »
    It annoys me that a party as useless as the greens and their soft leader will get a a huge boost in the next election , and how they will pat themselves on the back.

They have done absolutely zero but will happily hop on the bandwagon

They have never been in a strong position in government. The bandwagon you are referring to has been brought about by green activists many of whom are green party members.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement