Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

You think this is about appearance, were discussing a child here, this post is sick and wrong.

I wonder what that person had to google to get that image...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Eh, most 16 year olds don't have an opinon of their own. It's filtered through their parents, friends, media and culture. I'd even wager that you do not have a true personal personality until you are , at least, 25.

In your opinion.
    You know, I don't think it is nonsense. I was teaching a University Proffesor of Physics/Engineering/ something along those lines, and he was actually quite supportive of this idea and the theory that the climate change we are expereincing (if there is even climate change) is more just a seasonal weather change that happens every certain amount of time in the earth's development.

Not much of an argument I'm afraid. Just simple denialism which you're welcome to but that's what this is.
    I dunno, I do kind of think , whether climate change is happening or not, that it is being used to stimmy the quickly developing Asain and Latin American countries that will have more waste in the beginning as they are moving faster.

Can you substantiate this at all?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

In your opinion.

Not much of an argument I'm afraid. Just simple denialism which you're welcome to but that's what this is.

Can you substantiate this at all?

As it's an opinion, not in any shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'm not remotely surprised. There's always plenty of people willing to sign up to the edgy cause of the day be it Trump, Brexit, climate change cynicism, anti-vaxxer nonsense, etc...

Yeah that would be the same as edgy gob****es getting involved with the like the extinction rebellion anarchists flying drones and spraying fake blood etc etc . Feckin bunch of muppets ...

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭moonage

"How dare you! You have stolen my dreams... and my script!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

That or reductio ad absurdum. It's surprising and not surprising that people come on here to attack and ridicule a 16 year old girl who is trying to publicise climate change. I often wonder what it is that makes them so afraid. The truth, perhaps.

For certain theres not much 'truth' in screaming that civilisation is going to end in 10 years time or that all the adults have destroyed this kids childhood. Don't see how some find it difficult to understand others pointing things like that out. But instead they attempt to stifle the discussion by suggesting that people are 'afraid' lol. A very silly and absurd argument for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I dunno, I do find greta kind of annoying. I think it's because it's obvious she's a front and probably doesn't really have an opinion of her own.

Yet some grown men and women believe she is like some modern day Joan of Arc. Religious levels of fanaticism displayed in devotional worship of the prophet Greta. It is so blatantly obvious that "our Greta" as someone on here calls her, is being puppeteered. Her speech was the worst acting since the Fonz jumped the shark on Happy Days, abysmally bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Best way to know is to follow her on twitter. Asking here probably not.

Trust me you don't want MSM in between you and the facts.

(Off topic, but there are some fascinating twitter accounts, the president of US being the funniest/scariest IMO. I highly recommend twitter)

If you believe Greta runs that Twitter account i've some magic beans i'd give you a good price on.

If you believe Greta runs that Twitter account i've some magic beans i'd give you a good price on.

Look weldoninhio, I'm not buying those beans you got stuck with :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Yet some grown men and women believe she is like some modern day Joan of Arc. Religious levels of fanaticism displayed in devotional worship of the prophet Greta. It is so blatantly obvious that "our Greta" as someone on here calls her, is being puppeteered. Her speech was the worst acting since the Fonz jumped the shark on Happy Days, abysmally bad.

Ad hominem, reductio ad absurdum and petitio principii. Well done.

Eh, most 16 year olds don't have an opinon of their own. It's filtered through their parents, friends, media and culture. I'd even wager that you do not have a true personal personality until you are , at least, 25.

It's very true.

Influence of parents is so obvious. I laugh at those clips they use in adverts of kids in junior infants talking about trump or miggeldy. Do people really think kids have an actual opinion on trump or miggeldy and it's not just parroting what their parents hear?

I remember I was in school and a couple of the cool kids were mad about drum n' bass and Pendulum. Soon enough everyone was mad into drum n' bass trying to be cool aswell.

Kids are easily influenced.

I see some more people have set sail for Chile from Amsterdam for the UN Climate Summit in Santiago. Some journey isn't it? Approximately 7 weeks to make the trip.

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1179565547547238400

36 people, I picture some arguments :)

I'm sure if they ever got into trouble they wouldn't want a dirty fuel powered boat to save them.

lleti wrote: »
    I'm sure if they ever got into trouble they wouldn't want a dirty fuel powered boat to save them.

How do you mean? This boat has an engine.

Someone typed "Latin phrases" into Google. What's the Latin for "bad acting"?

Nice shiney new latin dictionary? Hey congrats. Now if you could start stringing a sentence together that would be great ;)

Edit: Jimmy you bet me to it ...

The irony is obviously lost on you both. Asinus asinum fricat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,778 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The irony is obviously lost on you both. Asinus asinum fricat.

Is it really lol? Do try harder. I'm afraid I can only give you a D minus for that. Derideo te.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Is it really lol? Do try harder. I'm afraid I can only give you a D minus for that.

I'd be upset if your opinion on anything mattered to me. But I remain content.

If you are a climate change acitvist and don't condemn having children you are a hypocrite.

I'd be upset if your opinion on anything mattered to me. But I remain content.

Good for you...

Now back to the discussion ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I saw this just now. This is what happens when hysteria is substituted for reason, and then extrapolated to its conclusions. Even more bizarre is AOC's oddly muted reaction - not don't eat the babies, but rather we have more than a few months . Yikes.

https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status/1179908480322289664

I also think this is an actress taking the piss.
    AOC saying thank you, thank you..ffs

Zorya wrote: »
    I also think this is an actress taking the piss.
    AOC saying thank you, thank you..ffs

Or it's someone with a mental disorder who's having a breakdown because of all the fear mongering and doom portrayed in the media.

It attracts absolutely demented, fanatical nutcases like all the religions that came before it. The crazy woman that wants to eat babies is right about the Swedish scientist that is advocating cannibalism though, he did so in all seriousness, it wasn't a joke, Swedes don't know what humour is.

Or it's someone with a mental disorder who's having a breakdown because of all the fear mongering and doom portrayed in the media.

Could be although I'm leaning towards satire. But the weird part is people under-reacting. Inside heads - hmmmm is this a new fangled low carbon keto extension of anti-natalism and after birth abortion rights, maybe some comrades will offer their surrogacy labour to the communal dinner plate, which is the right side of history for me in this moment :pac::pac::pac:

Is the Swedish scientist who is pushing for cannibalism having a mental breakdown too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

lalababa wrote: »
    JJayoo wrote: »
    It annoys me that a party as useless as the greens and their soft leader will get a a huge boost in the next election , and how they will pat themselves on the back.

They have done absolutely zero but will happily hop on the bandwagon

They have never been in a strong position in government. The bandwagon you are referring to has been brought about by green activists many of whom are green party members.

Maybe you need a history lesson.

The last time the world went climate change crazy was around the time Al Gore and the film 'An Inconvenient Truth hit the scene in 2006.

One year later, 2007, The Greens enter Government for the first time as junior coalition partner with Fianna fail.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement