Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Zorya wrote: »
    I also think this is an actress taking the piss.
    AOC saying thank you, thank you..ffs

Talk of it being some kind of plant.

The Trumps seem to be enjoying it though - a strange bunch for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

lleti wrote: »
    Or it's someone with a mental disorder who's having a breakdown because of all the fear mongering and doom portrayed in the media.

All types are prone apparently

"Eco-anxiety"

And yes it's a thing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eco-anxiety

If you dont like wiki - google it - theres plenty out there about the condition.

I believe its treatable ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Wow, if only we properly funded the treatment of water and punished polluters, something like, I dunno, a water charge maybe? (The same water charge rejected by many if not most Irish people. And probably some of the very same people jumping on the Thunberg bandwagon).

Here's a prime example.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/paul-murphy-sets-up-new-political-group-called-rise-1.4035062

Murphy has now jumped on the Green bandwagon, only after opposing water charges to the end. The arch populist.

Everyone is in favour of making changes until they have to pay for it and then you see their real colours.

I think most Irish people resist any form of extra tax due to the mismanagement of the current tax we already pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    I think most Irish people resist any form of extra tax due to the mismanagement of the current tax we already pay.

Exactly, the more taxes and bills placed on people's heads is going to continue to turn people away from the whole climate change argument full stop

It allows people the argument of
    Me paying extra taxes won't stop the cutting of rain forests, the fly tipping of rubbish in the pacific ocean, or the mass pollution in countries like India, China, USA wherever

• Registered Users Posts: 21,756 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Exactly, the more taxes and bills placed on people's heads is going to continue to turn people away from the whole climate change argument full stop

We have free and open elections at least every 5 years. We have to reckon that given that the main parties have held similar positions on taxation over the last 10 years at least, that the general population are ok with it.

I'm not saying that it is fine. USC, pension levies on one hand and homeless/hospital issue on the other is grating.
    It allows people the argument of
    Me paying extra taxes won't stop the cutting of rain forests, the fly tipping of rubbish in the pacific ocean, or the mass pollution in countries like India, China, USA wherever

I'd sooner people use the example set by Greta to have meaningful societal protests. I feel the water protests were ill-conceived given that the argument for investing in the infrastructure was such a strong one.

But, I'd love to see people adopt an approach of 'What can we do to make things better' instead of 'well there's no point even trying'. (Not saying yourself have that approach WSH)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

JJayoo wrote: »
    Maybe you need a history lesson.

The last time the world went climate change crazy was around the time Al Gore and the film 'An Inconvenient Truth hit the scene in 2006.

One year later, 2007, The Greens enter Government for the first time as junior coalition partner with Fianna fail.

Indeed. 13 years till doomsday we should be roasting to death by now, though there is still another year to run.

13-years-to-live.jpg

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

On February 21st 2019, it was reported...
    The European Union should spend hundreds of billions of euros combating climate change during the next decade, its chief executive said on Thursday, responding to a Swedish teen who has inspired a global movement of children against global warming. “In the next financial period from 2021 to 2027, every fourth euro spent within the EU budget will go towards action to mitigate climate change,” Juncker said of his proposal for the EU budget, which is typically 1 percent of the bloc’s economic output, or 1 trillion euros ($1.13 trillion) over seven years.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-climatechange-teen-activist/swedish-student-leader-wins-eu-pledge-to-spend-billions-on-climate-idUSKCN1QA1RF

240_F_250618575_opyDeNoHRq1ZBTnclLQjrZys7NPvA3Ap.jpg

The idea was that Jean Claude was so moved by our heroine that he wanted to dedicate funds to persuading climate not to change.

But WAIT....

Apparently the 1 in every 4 euros thing had already been decided in October 2018, nothing to do with Greta at all. :eek:
    The European Commission proposed to dedicate 25% of the next European Union budget (2021-2027), i.e. EUR 320 billion to climate objectives and foresees a dedicated financial support for sustainable infrastructure investments through the "InvestEU" programme, expected to leverage more than EUR 150 billion.
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/one-planet-summit-2018-announcements-300719892.html

In the days following this 2018 announcement the EU signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Breakthrough Energy

http://www.b-t.energy/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/BE_EC_Memorandum_Of_Understanding_Oct_2018-1.pdf

This Memorandum gives Breakthrough Energy preferential access to these 25% of funds that will be set aside by the Eu from 2021 -2027.

Fair ****s, sez you, these Breakthrough Energy people sound very shiny. It's got a punchy name, they must be the superheroes in the story.
    Who are they - https://www.b-t.energy/coalition/who-we-are/

You may have to run the gauntlet of Privacy Errors trying to get through to that site, which is their official home on the net, but if you don't wish to, I will let you know who some of the luminaries there are - people like Mark Zuckerberg, Richard Branson, Bill Gates, Jack Ma, big knobs from the banking and global industrial world. The World Bank, the UN, the Bank for International Settlements, are all involved.

What do they want to do, sez you. And have they not done enough already what with plundering the world's resources ceaselessly to make ever more money for themselves and their lucky shareholders, all this while not giving an actual single fcuk for the people they have enslaved in global consumerism games and the environmental destruction they have wrought?

According to themselves....
    Our strategy links cutting-edge, government-funded research to patient, risk-tolerant capital so that more clean energy innovations get to market faster.

The Breakthrough Energy Coalition created Breakthrough Energy Ventures, an investor-led fund, to build the new, cutting-edge companies that will deliver on that promise.

In other words they want to monetise the new climate agenda, make money like they have always been doing. By convincing the world that they should have more access to more money via your taxes so they can still be the big knobs on the planet going forwards.

Sources quoted here are all mainstream just so nobody can be contaminated from reading icky cranky conspiracy theorists, aka those who can see what the actual truth is behind the scenes and have thus been villified.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In other words they want to monetise the new climate agenda.
    I for one am shocked. Fomenting "End Times" hysteria with a Christ child figurehead telling us we know not what we do? for money? tut tut.

I for one am shocked. Fomenting "End Times" hysteria with a Christ child figurehead telling us we know not what we do? for money? tut tut.

Heh. :rolleyes: You will perhaps notice that in this whole ''campaign'' there is no mention of buying less shyte and making less of a bleeding mess - take one day a week off buying plastic stuff and if everyone did it, it would actually make some difference to the filth of places (unseen places now, like places in Africa where they open mine ores for phones or ''recycle'' our compuetr wastes on dumps that smoulder to the horizon.)

74b3b300-d205-4c85-8ef9-d98685f55f35-2060x1368.jpeg

Nope, not one mention of buy less sh1t. Just cross your arms over your chest in the extinction symbol and chant like a good little, middle class, priviliged moron in search of a cause to give (religious) meaning to your life.

Makes me fcuked off, to be honest, that people can be so stupid.

Nope, not one mention of buy less sh1t. Just cross your arms over your chest in the extinction symbol and chant like a good little, middle class, priviliged moron in search of a cause to give (religious) meaning to your life.
    Plenty of lovely dopamine hits to be had from this type of activity. Feelings of togetherness and righteous indignation which are a rare commodity nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

On February 21st 2019, it was reported...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-climatechange-teen-activist/swedish-student-leader-wins-eu-pledge-to-spend-billions-on-climate-idUSKCN1QA1RF

240_F_250618575_opyDeNoHRq1ZBTnclLQjrZys7NPvA3Ap.jpg

The idea was that Jean Claude was so moved by our heroine that he wanted to dedicate funds to persuading climate not to change.

But WAIT....

Apparently the 1 in every 4 euros thing had already been decided in October 2018, nothing to do with Greta at all. :eek:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/one-planet-summit-2018-announcements-300719892.html

In the days following this 2018 announcement the EU signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Breakthrough Energy

http://www.b-t.energy/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/BE_EC_Memorandum_Of_Understanding_Oct_2018-1.pdf

This Memorandum gives Breakthrough Energy preferential access to these 25% of funds that will be set aside by the Eu from 2021 -2027.

Fair ****s, sez you, these Breakthrough Energy people sound very shiny. It's got a punchy name, they must be the superheroes in the story.
    Who are they - https://www.b-t.energy/coalition/who-we-are/

You may have to run the gauntlet of Privacy Errors trying to get through to that site, which is their official home on the net, but if you don't wish to, I will let you know who some of the luminaries there are - people like Mark Zuckerberg, Richard Branson, Bill Gates, Jack Ma, big knobs from the banking and global industrial world. The World Bank, the UN, the Bank for International Settlements, are all involved.

What do they want to do, sez you. And have they not done enough already what with plundering the world's resources ceaselessly to make ever more money for themselves and their lucky shareholders, all this while not giving an actual single fcuk for the people they have enslaved in global consumerism games and the environmental destruction they have wrought?

According to themselves....

In other words they want to monetise the new climate agenda, make money like they have always been doing. By convincing the world that they should have more access to more money via your taxes so they can still be the big knobs on the planet going forwards.

Sources quoted here are all mainstream just so nobody can be contaminated from reading icky cranky conspiracy theorists, aka those who can see what the actual truth is behind the scenes and have thus been villified.

That's a very good post. I take your point about the company but I wonder how much oversight the EU will as to how this money will be spent. My assumption would be that this is a public/private joint venture. Maybe it's a good thing to bring these industrialists inside the tent? The detail of how these company will be managed and who will have final authority are crucial questions before what seems to be a good initiative is dismissed as capitalist exploitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

JJayoo wrote: »
    Maybe you need a history lesson.

The last time the world went climate change crazy was around the time Al Gore and the film 'An Inconvenient Truth hit the scene in 2006.

One year later, 2007, The Greens enter Government for the first time as junior coalition partner with Fianna fail.

Al has a lovely house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Plenty of lovely dopamine hits to be had from this type of activity. Feelings of togetherness and righteous indignation which are a rare commodity nowadays.

Right or stop buying crap you don’t need. As a Greta worshipper that’s the main thing I try to preach to friends and family. Consumerism is destroying the planet.

Right or stop buying crap you don’t need. As a Greta worshipper that’s the main thing I try to preach to friends and family. Consumerism is destroying the planet.
    i'd say the family and friends love a good preach :D

Unfortunately, as things stand, the global economy is founded on consumerism. So more and more crap will be bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

As someone who is slightly dubious about this whole "Greta" phenomenon, that's what I've been preaching and practising for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

That's a very good post. I take your point about the company but I wonder how much oversight the EU will as to how this money will be spent. My assumption would be that this is a public/private joint venture. Maybe it's a good thing to bring these industrialists inside the tent? The detail of how these company will be managed and who will have final authority are crucial questions before what seems to be a good initiative is dismissed as capitalist exploitation.

Lol, as if they were ever outside the tent. Good to know you have no problem with Saudi princes, US arms corporations and oil corps gorging at this honeypot.

Lol, as if they were ever outside the tent. Good to know you have no problem with Saudi princes, US arms corporations and oil corps gorging at this honeypot.

Grand. Whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Grand. Whatever.

I'd say a fair few bottles of champagne will be popped inside the tent celebrating this giant scam. The cultish slogan repeating Greta worshipers outside the tent oblivious to it all or suffering from cognitive dissonance in a total state of denial.

I'd say a fair few bottles of champagne will be popped inside the tent celebrating this giant scam. The cultish slogan repeating Greta worshipers outside the tent oblivious to it all or suffering from cognitive dissonance in a total state of denial.

Grand. whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

jimgoose wrote: »
    As someone who is slightly dubious about this whole "Greta" phenomenon, that's what I've been preaching and practising for years.

I assume all the Greta haters on this thread live in one off houses and eat beef 3 times a day and drive Range rovers. You all need to be more like me, a carbon conscious cyclist city dweller who cruises 2nd hand clothes shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You don't need to preach . Just do it. When this has come up here and I have been challenged mockingly for just talking, and I mention having given up my car and various other similar cutbacks...PS I do not worship Greta. Was living this way long before she was here. It is the only way that makes any sense .. Helped by living on a small pension of course

Grand. whatever.

It's not really whatever though (and I do appreciate you taking the time to read my post, thank you). This whole charade is shocking. There are children working themselves up into a millenarian frenzy fully convinced the world is going to end. 10 years, 12 years, 2030, 2050. World burning, world ending - these are phrases being pushed right now on mainstream media platforms. Casually. Righteously. As if the people who repeat these things are the holiest people on earth right now. Not admitting that behind this whole thing are the wealthiest people in the world, fcuking malign backstards in gated communities living bloated lives who do not give a single sh1t except to make even more money. Look up the history of the Bank of International Settlements, and World War 2 for example - these people are amoral pigs.
    Some of these captivated children are adopting brutal nihilistic anti-natalist phgilosophies as if they are good things. Media are promoting these ideas. It is shocking to me, I can hardly bring myself to respond to it as I am not well enough at the moment to tolerate much agitation. But it is not a whatever scenario. It is dreadful.

It's not really whatever though (and I do appreciate you taking the time to read my post, thank you). This whole charade is shocking. There are children working themselves up into a millenarian frenzy fully convinced the world is going to end. 10 years, 12 years, 2030, 2050. World burning, world ending - these are phrases being pushed right now on mainstream media platforms. Casually. Righteously. As if the people who repeat these things are the holiest people on earth right now. Not admitting that behind this whole thing are the wealthiest people in the world, fcuking malign backstards in gated communities living bloated lives who do not give a single sh1t except to make even more money. Look up the history of the Bank of International Settlements, and World War 2 for example - these people are amoral pigs.
    Some of these captivated children are adopting brutal nihilistic anti-natalist phgilosophies as if they are good things. Media are promoting these ideas. It is shocking to me, I can hardly bring myself to respond to it as I am not well enough at the moment to tolerate much agitation. But it is not a whatever scenario. It is dreadful.

The hypocrisy is evident. But I'm not sure, are you saying that climate change is not an urgent matter? Or are you saying it exists but is being hijacked by corporate interests?

The hypocrisy is evident. But I'm not sure, are you saying that climate change is not an urgent matter? Or are you saying it exists but is being hijacked by corporate interests?

Climate change exists. I am uncertain as to what portion of it that is anthropogenic. But that is actually irrelevant. The hijacking, maybe even the promtotion of this hysteria ab initio, to enforce "good" taxes and authoritarian ways of life that will NEVER apply to the actual polluters is the insidious thing.

Climate change exists. I am uncertain as to what portion of it that is anthropogenic. But that is actually irrelevant. The hijacking, maybe even the promtotion of this hysteria ab initio, to enforce "good" taxes and authoritarian ways of life that will NEVER apply to the actual polluters is the insidious thing.

Well, there's no such thing as a just society. And capitalism doesn't care about anything other than profit. But what needs to change? Everyone knows what they should do on an individual level. After that? Let's assume that everyone on the planet suddenly accepted that we should change our ways because climate change is a threat. What should happen next?

I dont know the answers PM. But there are very strange ideological forces in the background to this Greta thing, not just the money stuff. Its been that way with the so called environmental movement for decades. I dont know what to do, I just try not to mess things where I am, garden organically, compost almost everything, recycle, support fair trade, buy just what I need, try not to buy too much stuff that comes from slavery though that is hard, oppose fracking, whatever. Its not much and its fairly irrelevant when the polluter pays principle means the planets hugest oligarchs just hand over a tiny percentage of their profits to be allowed essentiaĺly fcuk the planet at will.

I dont know the answers PM. But there are very strange ideological forces in the background to this Greta thing, not just the money stuff. Its been that way with the so called environmental movement for decades. I dont know what to do, I just try not to mess things where I am, garden organically, compost almost everything, recycle, support fair trade, buy just what I need, try not to buy too much stuff that comes from slavery though that is hard, oppose fracking, whatever. Its not much and its fairly irrelevant when the polluter pays principle means the planets hugest oligarchs just hand over a tiny percentage of their profits to be allowed essentiaĺly fcuk the planet at will.

That's sums it up very well. Greta herself is an irrelevance. Handy for a bit of publicity. I struggle to do what I should do because I've been conditioned by consumerism all my life. But if I don't change my ways fully then I'm a hypocrite.

For me, I'm being more and more drawn to the Greens though I've never voted for them. Some of their polices are madness but when it comes down to climate change and capitalism they're the only real option. We can rightly blame selfish corporatism and capitalism, but if we vote in parties that will maintain the status quo then it's out own fault.

Personally, from talking to scientists who know what they are talking about and who I know I can trust, and from observing politics across the globe, I think there is no hope. But that shouldn't stop people trying.

That's sums it up very well. Greta herself is an irrelevance. Handy for a bit of publicity. I struggle to do what I should do because I've been conditioned by consumerism all my life. But if I don't change my ways fully then I'm a hypocrite.

For me, I'm being more and more drawn to the Greens though I've never voted for them. Some of their polices are madness but when it comes down to climate change and capitalism they're the only real option. We can rightly blame selfish corporatism and capitalism, but if we vote in parties that will maintain the status quo then it's out own fault.

Personally, from talking to scientists who know what they are talking about and who I know I can trust, and from observing politics across the globe, I think there is no hope. But that shouldn't stop people trying.

im a lot closer to this position than anyone ive been scrapping with in this thread would believe, probably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,756 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Stop with the conspiracy theories for a second and listen to the scientists.
    Look at the catastrophic impact on wildlife and ecosystems and decide should something be done or will we keep doing what we're doing because Alex Jones said George Soros is trying to make money or whatever.

I'm not targeting you specifically but why undermine a positive activist such as Greta by casting doubt while the corporations and oil companies delight in the confusion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement