Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

It says something about the defenders of this fiasco.

Please, tell me more about how this is a "fiasco"???

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    It's a bunch of triggered bitter internet types wallowing in complaining about a kid raising awareness for the environment

I don't hear this down the pub, talking to friends, talking to colleagues - the only place I come across these pedantic, petty views is online, places like this, consistently, regardless of subject

Well said. Sure them types would get the p*** ripped outta them by normal people in a face to face discussion.

Weasely little slimeballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's a relevant question.The child is being brought up and faux concern for her well being or responsibility for her concern being attributed to her autism being used to deflect from the message she is communicating. It's unsuprising and nauseating all at once.

Nope. Who is deflecting what there? Certainly not first poster who made the point that

"Did you not know that autistic kids develop fixations?"

And that faux indignant reply was

"wow"

It is interesting that Greta and her parents go on at length to point out how her condition make's her specially suited to the role - to the point that it is used as a tag line on her twitter profile 'climate activist with aspergers'

If you are feeling nauseated by this - maybe best not get involved with a discussion about it perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Well said. Sure them types would get the p*** ripped outta them by normal people in a face to face discussion.

Much better when people are direct and open about their real motivations, instead of hiding behind the whole "who me" pretense

But where's the fun in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

gozunda wrote: »
    Nope. Who is deflecting what there? Certainly not first poster who made the point that

"Did you not know that autistic kids develop fixations?"

And that faux indignant reply was

"wow"

It is interesting that Greta and her parents go on at length to point out how her condition make's her specially suited to the role - to the point that it is used as a tag line on her twitter profile 'climate activist with aspergers'

If you are feeling nauseated by this - maybe best not get involved with a discussion about it perhaps?

It's the ignoring her message to focus on her medical condition that's pointless, tiring, nauseating.

Just because she acknowledges it in her bio, does not mean she wants it to be the focus of the discussion.

It seems when she asks can people hear her, she should also be asking are they listening.

• Advertisement

Correct. Embarrassing for me as a middle aged man to be associated with these life long loser nobodies who can only validate their own existences by denigrating others. Hate anyone who displays any positivity, just want to sit around wallowing in failure and feel shown up by anyone else who doesn't want to do the same.
    You're agenda is pretty clear "Jimmy"

:pac::pac::pac:

Well thank you for that deeply insightful and well thought out contribution to the current discussion. Just one thing though ...

AH => Thataway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Please, tell me more about how this is a "fiasco"???

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Its unsafe. Especially coming into the autumn with storms and big seas inevitable.

Its also an impractical way to cross the North Atlantic in general, so its not even useful as a publicity stunt, or for setting a good example.

Assuming she survives the journey, when she arrives at the climate change conference she will get a standing ovation. That's because all the hypocrites who have arrived at the junket by airplane will want to purge their own guilty feelings.
    Is there not one single empty seat on a transatlantic airplane over the next 2 weeks?
    Surely she could have arranged to get some sort of last minute standby ticket, which could have been certified as a wasted seat if she wasn't using it.
    I do however admire her Viking spirit.

gozunda wrote: »
    Well thank you for that deeply insightful and well thought out contribution to the current discussion. Just one thing though ...

AH => Thataway

Nah AH is right here, but the bull**** is better disguised, buried under veneer of "insightful contributions" :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I have never heard of this person? When did she arrive and how?

It's the ignoring her message to focus on her medical condition that's pointless, tiring, nauseating.
    Just because she acknowledges it in her bio, does not mean she wants it to be the focus of the discussion.It seems when she asks can people hear her, she should also be asking are they listening.

Wrong. As detailed Greta and her parents go on at length to point out how her condition is responsible for much of her activism. It's in many of the interviews I've came across. And yet for some strange reason you reckon others should not be allowed comment on this. Strange that tbh. Perhaps if it didnt get promoted quite as much - then it wouldn't be a valid topic in the discussion.

Read this or maybe not if you find the whole thing nauseating...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/greta-thunberg-gift-asperger-syndrome-environment-strike-climate-change-radio-4-a8883056.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I have never heard of this person? When did she arrive and how?
    She has inspired school strikes and Friday rallies for schoolkids all over Europe, going on all year, including here in Ireland.
    Most people know about these, but not everyone was aware of who started it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The adults are not using the child.

She started the protest and it grew in popularity, this brought her to the attention of like minded people who engaged with her to help her bring her message to more significant groups and to a wider number of people.
    It would only be using her if it was against her wishes or she had been asked to change her message. Neither is the case. She spoke before departing for the ?US that this whole experience has made her happy because initially she thought that no one (including her siblings and parents) cared about the climate issue but now that she has met so many people who do, she does not feel so alone.

The persistence of detractors in ignoring what she has said or her message is because of either A, a wish to keep their head in the sand or B, a consistent natural inclination to want to denigrate anything or anyone who they disagree with or simply don't understand.

Voicing concern while doing this just enforces the feeling that it is more B than A motivating many here.

Couple of points TMH -

Yes she started the protest, inspired by an adult who she cane in contact with who was trying to promote their own idea of children abstaining from school in protests similar to those seen in the US after the school shootings. None of the other children wanted to join her in her protest, so she decided she would do it herself. Her parents agreed to let her protest. The photographer didn’t just happen upon her by accident either, it was arranged, and then the photographer made connections to the right people and of course this stuff gets legs on social media - people are latching onto her quicker than eirigi at a water protest :pac:

It doesn’t come as a surprise to anyone that a child is delighted with themselves that people are finally telling her what she wants to hear, and the more powerful those people are the better- she had an audience with the Pope telling her keep doing what she’s doing and now her friends in school who wanted nothing to do with her protests previously, all want to jump on the bandwagon when they see the attention she’s getting. Not only do her school friends want to jump on the bandwagon, but plenty of adults do too. No wonder the child doesn’t feel so alone any more, and of course they’re happy.

I personally anyway have no wish to detract from a child’s happiness, and I do wish people would stop making that divisive accusation. I have no wish to detract or discourage her from her cause. I truly hope that when Greta grows up she cares as much about these things as she does now.

I’m not unaware of her message, I’m just not the target audience. Children are the target audience. I disagree with how the adults who have surrounded her are behaving though precisely because I see that the adults are using a child as the face of their campaign. It’s been done by various campaigners throughout history that they use children to promote their cause, there’s nothing new about it. They do it because it’s incredibly effective. I’ve never agreed with it though and that’s why I disagree with campaigners using a child in this circumstances too when they want to get people to listen to them. Greta is simply useful to their campaign for now is all, and the child is understandably loving their 15 minutes of fame.

What happens though when the media circus moves on and Greta realises nobody is listening to her again? Please don’t say that won’t happen because it’s precisely what happens.

Couple of points TMH -

Yes she started the protest, inspired by an adult who she cane in contact with who was trying to promote their own idea of children abstaining from school in protests similar to those seen in the US after the school shootings. None of the other children wanted to join her in her protest, so she decided she would do it herself. Her parents agreed to let her protest. The photographer didn’t just happen upon her by accident either, it was arranged, and then the photographer made connections to the right people and of course this stuff gets legs on social media - people are latching onto her quicker than eirigi at a water protest :pac:

It doesn’t come as a surprise to anyone that a child is delighted with themselves that people are finally telling her what she wants to hear, and the more powerful those people are the better- she had an audience with the Pope telling her keep doing what she’s doing and now her friends in school who wanted nothing to do with her protests previously, all want to jump on the bandwagon when they see the attention she’s getting. Not only do her school friends want to jump on the bandwagon, but plenty of adults do too. No wonder the child doesn’t feel so alone any more, and of course they’re happy.

I personally anyway have no wish to detract from a child’s happiness, and I do wish people would stop making that divisive accusation. I have no wish to detract or discourage her from her cause. I truly hope that when Greta grows up she cares as much about these things as she does now.

I’m not unaware of her message, I’m just not the target audience. Children are the target audience. I disagree with how the adults who have surrounded her are behaving though precisely because I see that the adults are using a child as the face of their campaign. It’s been done by various campaigners throughout history that they use children to promote their cause, there’s nothing new about it. They do it because it’s incredibly effective. I’ve never agreed with it though and that’s why I disagree with campaigners using a child in this circumstances too when they want to get people to listen to them. Greta is simply useful to their campaign for now is all, and the child is understandably loving their 15 minutes of fame.

What happens though when the media circus moves on and Greta realises nobody is listening to her again? Please don’t say that won’t happen because it’s precisely what happens.

Everyone within society is the target audience. You included, as well as children.

She is trying to advocate for action and so speaking to governmental bodies is absolutely what she would have wanted to do had she imagined it at the start but I don't think she did so. She just did what she could in protesting and it grew from there.

There is zero evidence that Greta is enjoying this because it is her '15 minutes' she has donated financial awards she has won to climate-protecting initiatives and is consistently behaving in the same way she did at the start.

The reality is that the media 'circus' has to stay on this as it is a global crisis.

Reading your post, it seems you just can't wait for this to be over and I'm not sure why that is. I am sure it is nothing to do with concern for Greta though, if you were, you'd pay attention to her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

recedite wrote: »
    She has inspired school strikes and Friday rallies for schoolkids all over Europe, going on all year, including here in Ireland.

Gotcha, fair play to her!

Just because she acknowledges it in her bio, does not mean she wants it to be the focus of the discussion.

It seems when she asks can people hear her, she should also be asking are they listening.

I dont believe anyone is focusing on her medical condition? She draws attention to it herself, as do her family.

bubblypop wrote: »
    I dont believe anyone is focusing on her medical condition? She draws attention to it herself, as do her family.

A, have a read of the thread to see how many times it has been brought up.

B, aside from acknowledging it and responding to questions about it, how often does she bring it up?

Reading your post, it seems you just can't wait for this to be over and I'm not sure why that is. I am sure it is nothing to do with concern for Greta though, if you were, you'd pay attention to her.

This is exactly the kind of shìte I’m talking about. I’m concerned about how it will play out purely for the welfare of the child involved. Campaigners are having to up the ante and every publicity stunt has to be greater than the last one. If there’s one thing a child’s imagination can do, it’s upping the ante to get attention for their cause. The adults who are facilitating her crossing the Atlantic in a yacht, I simply view them as irresponsible. The point they should have said no to the child was when she tried to guilt trip her family into becoming vegan. Now they’re risking her life allowing her to cross the Atlantic and frankly I view the whole endeavour as just silly.

I’ve told you before though and I’ll say it again - I’m not going to pay attention to a child just because they want me to. That doesn’t mean I don’t care for that child’s welfare. It simply means I disagree with what the adults involved are doing. If for example the child was going around the world proclaiming that everyone was going to hell if they didn’t repent, I would be saying the same thing I am now and I would have the same concerns for that child’s welfare. I’m not going to entertain that child’s childish ideas just because I face condemnation from adults who’s beliefs that child is promoting.

This is exactly the kind of shìte I’m talking about. I’m concerned about how it will play out purely for the welfare of the child involved. Campaigners are having to up the ante and every publicity stunt has to be greater than the last one. If there’s one thing a child’s imagination can do, it’s upping the ante to get attention for their cause. The adults who are facilitating her crossing the Atlantic in a yacht, I simply view them as irresponsible. The point they should have said no to the child was when she tried to guilt trip her family into becoming vegan. Now they’re risking her life allowing her to cross the Atlantic and frankly I view the whole endeavour as just silly.

I’ve told you before though and I’ll say it again - I’m not going to pay attention to a child just because they want me to. That doesn’t mean I don’t care for that child’s welfare. It simply means I disagree with what the adults involved are doing. If for example the child was going around the world proclaiming that everyone was going to hell if they didn’t repent, I would be saying the same thing I am now and I would have the same concerns for that child’s welfare. I’m not going to entertain that child’s childish ideas just because I face condemnation from adults who’s beliefs that child is promoting.

She doesn't want your concern for her health.

If you want to ignore her message, fine, do so, but own it.

I’m not sure I could have been any more crystal clear with you? :confused:

1. I don’t give a flying f... what she wants. She’s a child.

2. See 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As amazing as it sounds her trips is really causing more than it's worth
    BERLIN taz | Climate activist Greta Thunberg causes more greenhouse gas emissions from her sailing trip from the United Kingdom to the United States than if she had flown.
    About five employees would sail the yacht back to Europe, said Andreas Kling, spokesman for Thunberg skipper Boris Herrmann, on Thursday the taz.

"Of course, they fly over there, that's no different," says Kling. Herrmann will also take the plane for the return journey. The sailing trip triggers at least six climate-damaging air travel across the Atlantic. If Thunberg had flown with her father, only two would have been necessary to come to New York.
    https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://taz.de/Thunbergs-Segelreise-in-die-USA/!5615733/&xid=17259,15700023,15700186,15700190,15700256,15700259,15700262,15700265&usg=ALkJrhgUFp6MFf6JvKeTCINIC0bODAPpjA

Of course for the masses the message is still clear - heroes don't fly on their way to conferences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Is this still up for discussion for some people!?!?

:rolleyes: :pac::pac::pac:

Yes, there are large gaps in our knowledge of climate science. We know the climate changes. We know that it happens naturally. We know that humans are capable of changing the climate. We know a lot more than this but there is so much that we do not understand. A vast amount of more research is still required.

We dont yet know the extent of human caused climate change and we do not know how to reverse it.

Couple of points TMH -

Yeah, it's not really a fad though, and despite all the selective concern here, I'm sure she'll be alright. As for the inferences of "manipulation" and "targets", certain kids I know are much more knowledgeable than their parents on the subject, and seem a lot more concerned. If one of them wants to stand up and is backed by her parents, it doesn't always mean there is some convenient malign or nefarious intent, no matter how much people want to insert that narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The child is being brought up and faux concern for her well being or responsibility for her concern being attributed to her autism being used to deflect from the message she is communicating.

It is absolutely NOT false concern. I am not a climate change denier.

This child spent her life prior to this in and out of hospitals because she was self harming her body wouldn't eat and couldn't cope. She still can't be apart from supervision for long periods according to a book her own mother wrote.

The girl herself has said her PR team is exploiting her.
    Ugly feud between her opera singer-turned-climate-activist mother and the green PR man who she accuses of exploiting her

Her own family have launched legal cases against several people for putting influence on Greta or exploiting her as a vulnerable minor.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6946815/Whos-REALLY-16-year-old-Greta-Thunberg.html

This is morally wrong.

And it makes me thing these people don't care about the environment at all its just self serving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

None of the posters care about her health. They dislike her message. None of them have experience or knowledge of yachting across the Atlantic.

It's transparent

A, have a read of the thread to see how many times it has been brought up.

B, aside from acknowledging it and responding to questions about it, how often does she bring it up?

Frequently ...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/greta-thunberg-gift-asperger-syndrome-environment-strike-climate-change-radio-4-a8883056.html

None of the posters care about her health. They dislike her message. None of them have experience or knowledge of yachting across the Atlantic.

It's transparent
    I certainly don't correct. I know I wouldn't take a 16 yr old with Asperger's who only recovered from anorexia and self harm a few years ago alone with no doctor.

This thread isn't about climate change anyway its about Greta
    Originally Posted by recedite View Post

Not true. Most schools in Dublin have been doing them for years before all this.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Nah AH is right here, but the bull**** is better disguised, buried under veneer of "insightful contributions" :)

Well those posts certainly weren't anyway :pac:
    Amazing how those who can't contribute to a discussion revert to throwing ****e ...

• Advertisement

Blame the adults its not Greta's fault.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement