Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's creepy and odd how a little girl, regardless of who might be in the wings, sailing to highlight climate change is getting so much hate. Years ago, before all the ALT-Right and Trump folk start getting brave we would have had a few saying 'fair play to her' and the odd crank giving out, but this is just creepy IMO.

You really haven't read any of the thread have you Matt?

The only 'creepy' thing tbh is the suggestion that such discussion is somehow deviant. Not having a go at you btw - but that is the usual method employed by screamers to shut down any and all criticism - no matter what that is .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's creepy and odd how a little girl, regardless of who might be in the wings, sailing to highlight climate change is getting so much hate. Years ago, before all the ALT-Right and Trump folk start getting brave we would have had a few saying 'fair play to her' and the odd crank giving out, but this is just creepy IMO.

Jeffrey Epstein was flying young ones across the Atlantic for years and nobody mentioned his carbon footprint :rolleyes:

I’m being as equally disingenuous as you are btw, just in case that isn’t crystal clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,737 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't think it's got anything to do with that, it's an internet thing.

Years ago, we would never have heard of her, as there was no social media; and there wouldn't have been an online forum to discuss it...
    Plus people were a bit more cavalier about health and safety in the past - see Fastnet disaster 1979. And nobody knew if you were taking a 16 year old on an unsuitable sailing vessel, unless it sank and made the news headlines.
    A 16 year old talking about this would have had no medium, although maybe with parents in PR, after all this isn't an average teenager, some old school media outlet could have been found.

People in the past would have had the sense not to give her airtime, or put her into unsuitable situations, so other people wouldn't have had an opinion of her.

I'm sure if she did, even pre-internet, come into the public eye, much of the same things would have been said about her, verbally.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

She doesn't want your concern for her health.

If you want to ignore her message, fine, do so, but own it.

It's the Club of Rome's message, not hers. It is acknowledged that she has 'advisors' to guide her along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

It's creepy and odd how a little girl, regardless of who might be in the wings, sailing to highlight climate change is getting so much hate

The vast majority of the hate in this thread has been from one side, towards anyone who dares to question this PR stunt.

You've even done it yourself by describing such people as "creepy" "odd" and "cranks" as well as denigrating then by association with Trump and the Alt Right.

If you can't argue the points and need to resort to ad hominem attacks it's a sign that your case is not very strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

bubblypop wrote: »
    I'm not 'alt right ' or a Trump fan, in fact I think I'm a little left leaning.
    I think it's creepy & odd how many people are putting stock into what a little girl says.
    It's weird to me.

Little Girl: You should listen to the scientists.

Scientists: We are in grave danger of irreparably damaging the environment which will negatively impact all future generations.

Logical People: Sh*t, we need to do something about this.

Others: Why should we listen to a little girl?

Still weird to you?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    The vast majority of the hate in this thread has been from one side, towards anyone who dares to question this PR stunt.

You've even done it yourself by describing such people as "creepy" "odd" and "cranks" as well as denigrating then by association with Trump and the Alt Right.

If you can't argue the points and need to resort to ad hominem attacks it's a sign that your case is not very strong.

One side my hole.

You've had people question her, her parents and her autism.

You're an absolute liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Do you see how it might have been confusing...

I do, I thought we were being reasonable with each other.

There’s a difference from my perspective at least between caring for a child’s welfare, and caring for what a child does or doesn’t want.

Caring for a child’s welfare means that the child learns that they aren’t always going to get what they want, because the adult cares more about their needs as a child in order to allow them to develop and mature and learn and contribute to society as an adult when they grow up. In the meantime, the adult will make representations to other adults on their behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Is questioning something now a form of hate?

It's the Club of Rome's message, not hers. It is acknowledged that she has 'advisors' to guide her along.

It is being pedantic suggesting that it is not her message. It is her message in the sense that she is such a strong advocate of climate change and is the subject of the thread.

She has started a movement which has led to millions following her example in virtually every country worldwide over the last year, if she had not accumulated advisers at this point it would be unbelievable. That in no way negates what she is saying.

• Advertisement

Little Girl: You should listen to the scientists.

Scientists: We are in grave danger of irreparably damaging the environment which will negatively impact all future generations.

Logical People: Sh*t, we need to do something about this.

Others: Why should we listen to a little girl?

Still weird to you?

Yep.
    Like I said before I don't believe any of the people she is talking to need a child to them anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'm not 'alt right ' or a Trump fan, in fact I think I'm a little left leaning.
    I think it's creepy & odd how many people are putting stock into what a little girl says.
    It's weird to me.

I'd suggest it's the novelty that a child is preaching to the world. They sure as **** aren't interested otherwise.

My comment was broad in that anyone using 'triggered' 'snow flake' or 'libtard' has been brainwashed IMO. It's a sad new chapter in social media discourse designed to dismiss or silence anyone opposing the right regardless of how contemptible their actions may be. The bar is low and getting lower.

Asking people to defend their position in broadly thinking Greta's argument or approach is false does not equate to hate.

Yep.
    Like I said before I don't believe any of the people she is talking to need a child to them anything.

What about the millions of school children she has inspired to pay attention to the climate conversation?

Were they as informed and organising as many protests before she started?

CAO applications for environmental courses are up this year, given that those are applications by students, I do not think it is a stretch to suggest they have been influenced to consider a career in that space by Greta's actions and the example she initiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Honest question - what's your issue here?

Even if it is just a PR stunt, who is it harming? How can anyone possibly see something bad in a teenage girl raising awareness of climate change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Even if it is just a PR stunt, who is it harming? How can anyone possibly see something bad in a teenage girl raising awareness of climate change?

I am always suspicious of the super rich using mass media and PR techniques to manipulate opinion and influence policy. Even if it is ostensibly for a worthy cause.

The way in which apparently reasonable people have been turned into a mob of baying fanatics on this thread, viciously abusing any naysays, vindicates my suspicion.

Climate change is a major challenge. I do not accept that one percenter children or Monaco aristocrats have the answers, or even our best interests at heart. Ever increasing consumption is the fundamental barrier to meaningful action on climate change and also the basis of the system that the power and wealth of these people derives from. I do not for a second believe that their solutions will address this, instead I expect "do as we say, not as we do" diktats that merely increase resistence to climate policies.

I do, I thought we were being reasonable with each other.

There’s a difference from my perspective at least between caring for a child’s welfare, and caring for what a child does or doesn’t want.

Caring for a child’s welfare means that the child learns that they aren’t always going to get what they want, because the adult cares more about their needs as a child in order to allow them to develop and mature and learn and contribute to society as an adult when they grow up. In the meantime, the adult will make representations to other adults on their behalf.

I'm not going to suggest that you are flat out wrong but I do disagree that Greta's actions indicate she is being not taken care of correctly.

Also, the fact that her message is scientifically proven to be correct does add a lot of weight to the legitimacy of her approach and that of her parents in allowing her to pursue this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Because what this will lead to is people being taxed more by Goverments that will piss away that money and will do the sum of sweet **** all to tackle the climate crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Everyone in Ireland accepts climate change is a fact. Except the healy raes. And they are nuts.

You must have missed the climate denial and the "I'm sick of all this lark over the climate" threads. There's a fair sized on-the-fence contingent present

Can you rewrite that sentence. I honestly have no idea what you're saying

Not in the slightest bit surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Faugheen wrote: »
    One side my hole.

You've had people question her, her parents and her autism.

You're an absolute liar.

Are her parents above scrutiny? They both stand to make a fortune out of their daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

do you think people generally react negatively to a child explaining something to you that is so obvious that its physically embarrassing that you have not previously acted on it...?

For example
    Little Girl: You are totally ****ing up the planet. if we don;t change behaviour on a global scale we aer all ****ed.
    Some reactions: She's right, I know this and I've done nothing. I'm embarrassed by my inaction, but fundementally she is right.
    Other reactions: She's probably right, but to admit as must would be weakness on my part, so **** you retard kid, I don't listen to Kids.
    Most reactions: ...whatever...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Read some of her Bio there in Wiki and she comes across as a bit of a self absorbed nut. She has a career in Greenpeace assured.

Thunberg has said: "I feel like I am dying inside if I don't protest"

She said she persuaded her parents to give up eating meat by making them feel guilty. "I kept telling them that they were stealing our future

To lower her family's carbon footprint, she insisted they become vegan and give up flying.[21]

Read some of her Bio there in Wiki and she comes across as a bit of a self absorbed nut. She has a career in Greenpeace assured.

She said she persuaded her parents to give up eating meat by making them feel guilty. "I kept telling them that they were stealing our future

To lower her family's carbon footprint, she insisted they become vegan and give up flying.[21]

How would any of the above indicate she is a nut?
    Do you think she is lying about the risk to the environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

She sounds like great craic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

It's all very "look at me" and preachy.

No thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Hope she is planning to visit China, India and Brazil to spread the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Sounds more like look at the planet to me

Hope she is planning to visit China, India and Brazil to spread the message.

Why?
    Do you think she should have to convince everyone?
    Do you really think any action rests on the shoulders of this lady?

(She is travelling to the South America's after NY)

• Advertisement

No thanks

So, do you think she is making it up?
    How do you think she should get the message out there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement