Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Why?
    Do you think she should have to convince everyone?
    Do you really think any action rests on the shoulders of this lady?

(She is travelling to the South America's after NY)

Is she sailing there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Hope she is planning to visit China, India and Brazil to spread the message.

I thought you were against her spreading the message?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Are her parents above scrutiny? They both stand to make a fortune out of their daughter.

She is donating funds, in a few years she'll be an adult anyway. Most parents support their kids and their endeavors.

Why entertain seedy "appeal to motive" fallacies without a basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

bubblypop wrote: »
    I don't believe any of the posters here have said they dislike her message?
    She is talking about climate change, I don't need a child to tell me about climate change & I really don't see how world governments could possibly need a child to tell them something we all know.
    Lots of children have opinions on lots of topics, it's just strange how this one has been pushed into the world's spotlight.

It's the current phase of Western politics, there are hierarchys of victimhood that translates into some opinions being more valid than others.

She hits two or three of these hierarchys so she is seen as the best vehicle to get the message across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I thought you were against her spreading the message?

Where did I say i was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'm not going to suggest that you are flat out wrong but I do disagree that Greta's actions indicate she is being not taken care of correctly.

Also, the fact that her message is scientifically proven to be correct does add a lot of weight to the legitimacy of her approach and that of her parents in allowing her to pursue this.

We both know that campaigns like this get attention for a while before people move on to the next social justice cause, and that means that inevitably at some point, Greta will lose her audience. What then do you imagine will happen?

The fact that her message is scientifically correct has no connection to the campaign and doesn’t lend it any legitimacy whatsoever IMO. I think the parents approach in allowing their daughter to do what she wants to do is irresponsible.

I completely get that her parents are naturally going to be more concerned with their children’s happiness and welfare and so on, but what I question is where her parents should have drawn the line between their children’s happiness and their children’s welfare and at what point are they likely to say “stop, that course of action is not in the best interests of your welfare”, because from what I can see and from what we have seen so far, the child is just going to keep upping the ante as long as she is permitted and facilitated in doing so.

So, do you think she is making it up?
    How do you think she should get the message out there?

It sounds like some personal crusade she has got wrapped up in.

Leave it to the big boys and girls to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

Honest question - what's your issue here?

Even if it is just a PR stunt, who is it harming? How can anyone possibly see something bad in a teenage girl raising awareness of climate change?

Where to start?

Hypocrisy ('do as I say, not as I do').

Illogicality and tone-deafness: effectively, travelling in a racing yacht to protest overconsumption.

Transparent use of a child as camouflage to make criticism seem mean-spirited.

Lack of willingness to explicitly state the logical outcome of the 'message': living standards must dramatically fall all over the globe. Nobody willing to do a PR stunt for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

That would be a terribly inefficient use of them.

Maybe, em, addressing 160+ world leaders at once at UN events would be a more useful thing to do?

Oh sh*t, that's exactly what she's traveling to the US and Chile to do!

It's almost like she thought this one out. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It sounds like some personal crusade she has got wrapped up in.

The 'big boys and girls' have been sitting on their hands or talking out of both sides of their mouths.

• Advertisement

We both know that campaigns like this get attention for a while before people move on to the next social justice cause

Again you have this absolutely baffling notion that this is a "fad"

Man-made climate change has been a significant issue for around a decade, and isn't going away any time soon

And we get it, you keep putting forward that you are very concerned for this girl's well-being after she doesn't receive as much media attention from the world, I'm sure she'll be fine.

The 'big boys and girls' have been sitting on their hands or talking out of both sides of their mouths.

But they haven't. Great strides have been made over the last two decades. People are aware of the problems. Some more so than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Where did I say i was?

Ah I inferred incorrectly then.
    Apologies

You agree with her spreading the message. Great

Nermal wrote: »
    Where to start?
    The real world would be good.
    Hypocrisy ('do as I say, not as I do').
    She is a vegan who tries to minimise her carbon footprint. How much more 'do' do you need?
    Illogicality and tone-deafness: effectively, travelling in a racing yacht to protest overconsumption.
    Do you not understand the comparison between sailing carbon cost and flying?
    Transparent use of a child as camouflage to make criticism seem mean-spirited.
    People are challenging each insult appropriately. I know some don't like that so they say 'Oh I can't say she is talking rubbish because I'd be given out to for saying that about a child'
    Lack of willingness to explicitly state the logical outcome of the 'message': living standards must dramatically fall all over the globe. Nobody willing to do a PR stunt for that.
    She has literally said the answers are not available because the solutions do not yet exist. You seem to know exactly how it will play out.

That would be a terribly inefficient use of them.

Maybe, em, addressing 160+ world leaders at once at UN events would be a more useful thing to do?

Oh sh*t, that's exactly what she's traveling to the US and Chile to do!

It's almost like she thought this one out. Madness.

If she travels by plane she's a hypocrite, but if she travels by sail-boat it's ludicrous

Her parents are manipulating her

These are the arguments, this kid has triggered these people and now the knives are out

But they haven't. Great strides have been made over the last two decades. People are aware of the problems. Some more so than others.

Care to give examples as to what these strides are and how the have countered the average rising temperature (which is broadly agreed to be indicative of the problem).

Here's an example indicating it hasn't.

annual_temperature_anomalies_2014.png

Care to give examples as to what these strides are and how the have countered the average rising temperature (which is broadly agreed to be indicative of the problem).

Hang on.

Are you aware that Climate change has been occurring for millions of years? You'd like to believe this is all new age ****

Great strides have been made with awareness, the banning of harmful products etc

Now you've gone and done it

Hang on.

Are you aware that Climate change has been occurring for millions of years? You'd like to believe this is all new age ****

Great strides have been made with awareness, the banning of harmful products etc

Three words Stevie.

Rate. of. change.

gw-c02-levels-deep-time.gif?itok=fFpnMZnt

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Little Girl: The world is going to end in 11 years 4 months and 12 days!!!!!!

Scientists: Erh no it's not ...

Logical People: Right so - best point out the little girl might have some good intentions but she is apparently being fed misinformation

Others: OMG The World is going to END!!! You are all paedophiles!

Still weird to you?

FYP :p

• Advertisement

Three words Stevie.

Rate. of. change.

gw-c02-levels-deep-time.gif?itok=fFpnMZnt

Why the full stop after each word. Very Gretaish of you

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

No you dont, you are trying to appear knowledgeable and cynical, make yerself out to be the bigman, and undermine what she is doing as futile and ill directed.

G'lad yerself there. *Pats UG on head*

:pac::pac::pac:

Why the full stop after each word. Very Gretaish of you

Care to address it? What is Gretaish?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Again you have this absolutely baffling notion that this is a "fad"

Man-made climate change has been a significant issue for around a decade, and isn't going away any time soon

And we get it, you keep putting forward that you are very concerned for this girl's well-being after she doesn't receive as much media attention from the world, I'm sure she'll be fine.

What’s baffling about it? #metoo was a thing for a while too, now it’s hardly mentioned, and so many, many other campaigns have simply run out of steam after capturing the public’s attention. They simply don’t last.

That’s precisely why I’m not as confident as you are that Greta will be fine as she has experienced depression before all this, and when all the attention dies down, what then?

It’s simply one aspect of this campaign I don’t like, is the fact that the adults are using a child as the front of what should be their campaign, their responsibility. Instead they’re facilitating and enabling a child who shares their concerns because it serves their greater purpose for themselves, and I think that’s wrong. I find it detestible.

I get that other people want to encourage the child because she is serving their interests too, but would you be of the same opinion that the campaign is something to celebrate if a child was saying something which contradicted your opinions? Say for example if a child came out and said that climate change is a conspiracy or a hoax?

I think it’s wrong under any circumstances for adults to allow children to fight their battles for them. We’re critical of child soldiers. I don’t see this as being any different.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Hasn't really worked so far when the 'big boys and girls' in this thread have just been bitching about her.

Hang on.

I hear the earth is flat now. Should stop the Australians dropping off into space anyway:pac:

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Care to address it? What is Gretaish?

I'd describe Gretaish as high horsery, Preachy and so on

also i'm not disputing there is a problem but clearly just pointed out that climate change has been with us since god was a child

We’re critical of child soldiers. I don’t see this as being any different.

I think you need to work on your perspective there buddy, child soldiers!!:D:pac::rolleyes:

What’s baffling about it? #metoo was a thing for a while too, now it’s hardly mentioned, and so many, many other campaigns have simply run out of steam after capturing the public’s attention. They simply don’t last.

Her message isn't a fad. Likewise, just because Malala was in the news cycles for a period, doesn't mean that her message is a fad either.

Media spotlights can move on, I am sure these young adults understand it, and I'm sure they'll be fine. You seem to be remarkably concerned for their welfare in that regard.

• Advertisement

I hear the earth is flat now. Should stop the Australians dropping off into space anyway:pac:

What?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement