Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Care to address it? What is Gretaish?

Gretaish = factual?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Why the full stop after each word. Very Gretaish of you

I thought if you read it slowly there'd be more chance of you understanding it.

It's nice to be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I'd describe Gretaish as high horsery, Preachy and so on

also i'm not disputing there is a problem but clearly just pointed out that climate change has been with us since god was a child

Man-made climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think you need to work on your perspective there buddy, child soldiers!!:D:pac::rolleyes:

Yes?

Children in the military

My point being that if a child with an opposing view to Greta’s was being facilitated and enabled and empowered by adults, would you be as equally enthusiastic about that? I don’t think it’s unreasonable to imagine you would take issue with the campaigners using a child in those circumstances.

That’s why I don’t believe in permitting and enabling children to fight adults battles. Child soldiers are a similar concept.

I think it’s wrong under any circumstances for adults to allow children to fight their battles for them. We’re critical of child soldiers. I don’t see this as being any different.

I'm going to ignore the absurdity of the last sentence.

This is the children's battle as, of all the people alive today, they are the ones who will suffer the consequences hardest.

• Advertisement

Yes?

Children in the military

My point being that if a child with an opposing view to Greta’s was being facilitated and enabled and empowered by adults, would you be as equally enthusiastic about that? I don’t think it’s unreasonable to imagine you would take issue with the campaigners using a child in those circumstances.

That’s why I don’t believe in permitting and enabling children to fight adults battles. Child soldiers are a similar concept.

You are making a comparison between a 16 yr old environmental campaigner and children used in wars..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I thought if you read it slowly there'd be more chance of you understanding it.

It's nice to be helpful.

Condascending also.

Not a nice trait in a person

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Greta Thunberg is being used as an instrument of propaganda so the people on yet another climate jolly can bask in the reflected glow from her halo and confer virtue on themselves. Once the photo opportunity is over they will be back on their planes claiming their travel expenses underwritten by taxpayers across the world.

Greta will then make her way home across the North Atlantic with a heavy swell and being seasick over several days is not a pleasant experience. Will the camera crew following her across the Atlantic be making the return journey with her? or will they be a reason she needs to travel back home first class on SAS?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Her message isn't a fad. Likewise, just because Malala was in the news cycles for a period, doesn't mean that her message is a fad either.

Media spotlights can move on, I am sure these young adults understand it, and I'm sure they'll be fine. You seem to be remarkably concerned for their welfare in that regard.

You say that like it’s unusual? Of course I’m concerned for any child’s welfare. In this particular case I’m as concerned for her welfare as I would be concerned for the welfare of any child in Greta’s circumstances?

What’s so unusual about concern for a child’s welfare?

Greta Thunberg is being used as an instrument of propaganda so the people on yet another climate jolly can bask in the reflected glow from her halo and confer virtue on themselves. Once the photo opportunity is over they will be back on their planes claiming their travel expenses underwritten by taxpayers across the world.

Greta will then make her way home across the North Atlantic with a heavy swell and being seasick over several days is not a pleasant experience. Will the camera crew following her across the Atlantic be making the return journey with her? or will they be a reason she needs to travel back home first class on SAS?

An example of what I mentioned before

If she travels on a plane certain types will claim she's a hypocrite, if she travels by sail-boat, it's ludicrous. Again demonstrating the undercurrent to this whole thread.

• Advertisement

I'm going to ignore the absurdity of the last sentence.

This is the children's battle as, of all the people alive today, they are the ones who will suffer the consequences hardest.

There’s nothing absurd in saying children should not be fighting adults battles. This is not the children’s battle, but you’re right, they will suffer the consequences of having fought what are the adults battles, that the adults were too cowardly to fight for themselves on behalf of their children’s welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Three words Stevie.

Rate. of. change.

gw-c02-levels-deep-time.gif?itok=fFpnMZnt

That's CO2 levels, not global warming.
    Check out the full global temperatures picture, which you can see here.
    I already mentioned it in this post.

So it can be seen that the planet has had severe spikes quite often before.
    This current spike may be man-made, but it does not signal the end of the world.

You say that like it’s unusual? Of course I’m concerned for any child’s welfare. In this particular case I’m as concerned for her welfare as I would be concerned for the welfare of any child in Greta’s circumstances?

Concern, in this case, seems to be unfounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

If she travels by plane she's a hypocrite, but if she travels by sail-boat it's ludicrousHer parents are manipulating herThese are the arguments, this kid has triggered these people and now the knives are out

No I checked no one has called the child a 'hypocrite' on this thread. Yes there are concerns as to her parents. And yes placing a child who has aspergers in a racing yatch to sail across the Atlantic is certainly questionable.

So mainly hyperbole and not even remotely close to the many detailed points put across by a wide range of posters tbh.

Funny - you seem to like that word 'triggered' . But yeah I would agree the 'knives are out' and anyone presenting a dissenting opinion is getting Caeser'ed for sure ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

Condascending also.

Not a nice trait in a person

I've always found this fascinating. Condescension is widely accept as being a negative trait in most walks of life, but if you have right on views it seems to be the go to approach regardless of how unpersuasive it is.

Yeaaah

The media focus often moves on. The issue doesn't. I'm sure she'll have a full and healthy life of environmental campaigning ahead of her. Your concern is noted.

recedite wrote: »
    That's a cherry-picked version of the full picture, which you can see here.
    Anyway, I already mentioned it in this post.

So it can be seen that the planet has had severe spikes quite often before.
    This current spike may be man-made, but it does not signal the end of the world.

No, but it means we should act to limit the change so as to reduce the risk of impact.

That isn't complicated.

Can I also add, that the impact of climate change is one element of this conversation but a broader more relevant element is the discussion of sustainability.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No, but it means we should act to limit the change so as to reduce the risk of impact.

That isn't complicated.

Can I also add, that the impact of climate change is one element of this conversation but a broader more relevant element is the discussion of sustainability.

In that context could you define 'sustainability' for me - it's a term which seems to get bandied about a lot ....

I've always found this fascinating. Condescension is widely accept as being a negative trait in most walks of life, but if you have right on views it seems to be the go to approach regardless of how unpersuasive it is.

The word snowflake is coming to mind.

(Hope that's not too much condescension for one day)

Concern, in this case, seems to be unfounded.

Don’t be ridiculous TMH, I’ve explained to you and others now numerous times the foundations of my concerns. Fundamentally, this is a child we’re talking about here who is being paraded in front of the worlds media and is now on a yacht crossing the Atlantic in order to appear at the UN. For an adult that would take its toll, but this is a child, and you think my concerns for her welfare are unfounded?

I suppose for some people “the message” really is more important than who carries it.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    No I checked no one has called the child a 'hypocrite' on this thread. Yes there are concerns as to her parents. And yes placing a child who has aspergers in a racing yatch to sail across the Atlantic is certainly questionable.

Plenty of kids go on long or perilous sailing trips. Oh some in this thread are concerned? Aaahh I could have sworn they were annoyed and irritated by this girl's actions but are masking it with a faux concern

:pac:

Don’t be ridiculous TMH, I’ve explained to you and others now numerous times the foundations of my concerns. Fundamentally, this is a child we’re talking about here who is being paraded in front of the worlds media and is now on a yacht crossing the Atlantic in order to appear at the UN. For an adult that would take its toll, but this is a child, and you think my concerns for her welfare are unfounded?

I suppose for some people “the message” really is more important than who carries it.

We get it, you are really, really concerned about her.

I think Greta's recent and ongoing experiences are largely going to have a positive effect on her.
    I'm not discounting the risk on a yacht but risk exists in most walks of life.

I do also think that her development will be different to most children of her age but I do not think that that equates to mistreatment of her by her parents.

She has spoken at international and national organisations, she has (and is travelling the world) she will most likely have her choice of sponsored University places and she is talking on a subject which she is extremely passionate about.

Children her age are exposed to all sorts of risk.
    Many 1st world children get cars for their 16th and are unleashed on the dangers of the roads.
    Laura Dekker circumnavigated the world, solo, at 16, this isn't remotely comparable.

In that context could you define 'sustainability' for me - it's a term which seems to get bandied about a lot ....

In simple terms it means using the minimum amount of energy and resources which we need and using them in a manner which is conducive to the resources being optimised for as long as possible and where is possible, are replaced through natural means.

Plenty of kids go on long or perilous sailing trips. Oh some in this thread are concerned? Aaahh I could have sworn they were annoyed and irritated by this girl's actions but are masking it with a faux concern

:pac:

Do plenty of kids really go on long or perilous sailing trips? I don’t think they do, and that’s what contributes to this trip for a child being so exceptional.

I’m annoyed by the adults actions, in case that wasn’t clear to you already, because it is the adults lack of responsibility is putting the child’s welfare at risk. At what point do you think the child’s welfare will become more important than her message?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They're getting into rougher seas now. Wonder how long until they abort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Yes and for good reason ...... You know that as a farmer ( or at least you should know)

They're getting into rougher seas now. Wonder how long until they abort.

The wishful thinking is oozing out of this post.

I am sure these young adults understand it, and I'm sure they'll be fine. You seem to be remarkably concerned for their welfare in that regard.

This is a girl, who, got so depressed when she learnt about climate change that she started self harming, refused to eat & refused to talk.

• Advertisement

I think Greta's recent and ongoing experiences are largely going to have a positive effect on her.
    I'm not discounting the risk on a yacht but risk exists in most walks of life.

I do also think that her development will be different to most children of her age but I do not think that that equates to mistreatment of her by her parents.

She has spoken at international and national organisations, she has (and is travelling the world) she will most likely have her choice of sponsored University places and she is talking on a subject which she is extremely passionate about.

Children her age are exposed to all sorts of risk.
    Many 1st world children get cars for their 16th and are unleashed on the dangers of the roads.
    Laura Dekker circumnavigated the world, solo, at 16, this isn't remotely comparable.

That’s a fair answer at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement