Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Do plenty of kids really go on long or perilous sailing trips? I don’t think they do, and that’s what contributes to this trip for a child being so exceptional.

Yes they do. She is being accompanied by experienced sailors. There is still a risk of course, but that's her and her parents choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Yes they do. She is being accompanied by experienced sailors. There is still a risk of course, but that's her and her parents choice.
    I doubt it was her parents choice.

She has no one familiar with HER challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I doubt it was her parents choice.

She has no one familiar with HER challenges.

:confused::confused::confused:

What are you trying to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Plenty of kids go on long or perilous sailing trips. Oh some in this thread are concerned? Aaahh I could have sworn they were annoyed and irritated by this girl's actions but are masking it with a faux concern
    How many of them have had serious mental health issues and are were travelling in similar conditions?
    How did they get on?

How many of them have had serious mental health issues and are were travelling in similar conditions?
    How did they get on?

You do know people can recover from mental illness don't you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

How did they get on?

'Sure she's only a chancer in it for the instagram likes' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Children very clearly do not generally make long and perilous trips, and it’s generally not recommended for their welfare either. At least you do acknowledge that there is a risk, there are numerous risks and I understand that if they pull it off it will be an incredible achievement, it really will, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have a right to be critical of her parents and those adults who are enabling her to risk her life for her cause at the same time.

As I keep having to reiterate though - I don’t blame Greta, she’s doing exactly what any child would do if they were let. I blame the adults around her for letting her do whatever she wants to do and not calling a halt to this childish nonsense a lot sooner.

There’s indulging a child to keep them happy, but this is a whole other level, and I have no doubt if it wasn’t also what the adults wanted, they would have called a halt to it a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Plenty of kids go on long or perilous sailing trips. Oh some in this thread are concerned? Aaahh I could have sworn they were annoyed and irritated by this girl's actions but are masking it with a faux concern

You seem confused dohnjoe. These points do not have to be mutually exclusive.

I'm sure all kids who go sailing don't necessarily have aspergers and if they do or otherwise - you'd would want to be a fairly lax parent to deliberatly drag them along if you knew the trip to be perilous. Pointing that out does not make it 'faux concern' eitherway.

A racing boat for a minimum of 2 weeks with little or no privacy and few if any facilities would certainly be questionable. And again more hyperbole - holding an alternative opinion to yours does not make others 'annoyed' or 'irritated' (sic). Tbh such personalisation simply diminishes your argument. Would you like to try again?

How did they get on?

I believe it's estimated there are around 1500+ private crossings of the Atlantic each year. She's not actually sailing the boat (many are), she's a passenger, with a professional crew, her highest risk is really discomfort as it's a racing boat, only has two beds and isn't exactly luxurious. In terms of sailing risk, it would be below average for that kind of crossing considering the crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

As I keep having to reiterate though - I don’t blame Greta, she’s doing exactly what any child would do if they were let. I blame the adults around her for letting her do whatever she wants to do and not calling a halt to this childish nonsense a lot sooner.

Is the childish nonsense the zero carbon Atlantic voyage?

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    You seem confused dohnjoe. These points do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Not confused in the slightest. People generate a false concern to mask the fact that they are just pissed off and want to indulge in moaning about something. It's boards after all.

Of course you can't really write "Im sick of this climate change bull**** and this little attention seeker and her antics", so it has to be dressed up

We know the drill :)

:confused::confused::confused:

What are you trying to say?

She is 16 with Aspergers. Its a challenging time for parents as they decide how much independence to give their child or not.

I doubt they would have wanted this. But she is getting to an age where they feel they can't refuse.

She is still regularly self harming according to her mother and still has issues with eating and OCD. Not to mention emotional issues regarding the sense of being overwhelmed most people with aspergers feel when they are over stimulated.

Also children with Asperger tend to mature later than other children developmentally but not intellectually. Developmentally they continue until their late twenties usually.

An eleven year old with Asperger is intellectually like an eleven yr old but developmentally like a toddler. This delay can be significant; for example, a 21-year-old may seem socially and emotionally more like a 14-year-old.

Add to this her self harm ocd and eating disorder etc.

Is there someone on the boat who understands this and can be with her to support her needs? Maybe there is someone i don't know.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The wishful thinking is oozing out of this post.

Considering that poster spoke about another Titanic happening, it’s flowing out, not oozing.

bubblypop wrote: »
    This is a girl, who, got so depressed when she learnt about climate change that she started self harming, refused to eat & refused to talk.
    Its not fair to put it like that.

She is different. That is just the way she is. She has a right to be in the world.

She is 16 with Aspergers. Its a challenging time for parents as they decide how much independence to give their child or not.

I doubt they would have wanted this. But she is getting to an age where they feel they can't refuse.

She is still regularly self harming according to her mother and still has issues with eating and OCD. Not to mention emotional issues regarding the sense of being overwhelmed most people with aspergers feel when they are over stimulated.

Also children with Asperger tend to mature later than other children developmentally but not intellectually. Developmentally they continue until their late twenties usually.

An eleven year old with Asperger is intellectually like an eleven yr old but developmentally like a toddler. This delay can be significant; for example, a 21-year-old may seem socially and emotionally more like a 14-year-old.

Is there someone on the boat who understands this and can be with her to support her needs? Maybe there is someone i don't know.

Her dad is going with her

I think Greta's recent and ongoing experiences are largely going to have a positive effect on her.
    I'm not discounting the risk on a yacht but risk exists in most walks of life.

I do also think that her development will be different to most children of her age but I do not think that that equates to mistreatment of her by her parents.

That's what we all hope.

Her dad is going with her
    Good. Some reality for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I believe it's estimated there are around 1500+ private crossings of the Atlantic each year. She's not actually sailing the boat (many are), she's a passenger, with a professional crew, her highest risk is really discomfort as it's a racing boat, only has two beds and isn't exactly luxurious. In terms of sailing risk, it would be below average for that kind of crossing considering the crew.

Statistically racing yachts are not any safer (if anything they experience more mishaps). This is certainly not the preferred time of the year to be crossing the Atlantic - it being hurricane season.These boats are truely horrible to spend any extended time or to travel any distance in. The fact is that children with aspergers often require personal space and familiar surroundings to help them cope. Again maybe it is that she will handle handle the conditions - I personally rather not put a child to the test in order to attend a conference. It's not like she couldn't Skype or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I'd be assuming they have it all under control. Has there been word from the boat that something is not under control?

Her father is on the boat.

The rest of your post is a series of baseless tabloid type statements trying to generalise and dramatise her condition with zero knowledge of the circumstance (or the science I'd wager).

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    The fact is that children with aspergers often require personal space and familiar surroundings to help them cope.
    They get over stimulated. The result is migraines and meltdown's. I have a cousin who is autistic.

I presume they have music or a laptop for her. We would give my cousin ear phones etc. She would just play the same song over and over again. It gave her the space she needed.

There isn't an issue with someone with aspergers becoming an activist. There is an issue with people not accepting her as she is with all her vulnerabilities laid out.

It would be good for people to acknowledge the amount of support she needs and receives and that many people with Asperger could do as well with that support.

The image of her is not the reality of aspergers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Not confused in the slightest. People generate a false concern to mask the fact that they are just pissed off and want to indulge in moaning about something. It's boards after all.

Of course you can't really write "Im sick of this climate change bull**** and this little attention seeker and her antics", so it has to be dressed up

We know the drill :)

Is that any different than your assertion that the child is the driving force behind this latest campaign?

Would it be any different than suggesting your false concerns for the environment are noted?

You as an adult can’t really write “people won’t do what I want”.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I'd be assuming they have it all under control. Has there been word from the boat that something is not under control?

You think for second they would tell the whole world?

I am sure in fact i know there have been moments in gretas climate change journey when things have not been in control thats part of everyday life for people with aspergers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Is the childish nonsense the zero carbon Atlantic voyage?

No, it's the idea that we can have a civilisation that doesn't depend on emitting carbon dioxide.

ECCRe1pVAAAgHpQ.jpg

I am a lot more confident though knowing her Dad is with her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Cyclical Apocalypse

They get overstimulated. The result is migraines and meltdowns. I have a cousin who is autistic.

I presume they have music or a laptop for her. We would give my cousin earphones etc. She would just play the same song over and over again. It gave her the space she needed.

There isn't an issue with someone with Aspergers becoming an activist. There is an issue with people not accepting her as she is with all her vulnerabilities laid out.

It would be good for people to acknowledge the amount of support she needs and receives and that many people with Asperger could do as well with that support.

The image of her is not the reality of Aspergers.

I'm sure you are aware that Aspergers happens on a Spectrum it's possible that she may only have a very mild case where she is barely affected.

I'm sure you are aware that Aspergers happens on a Spectrum it's possible that she may only have a very mild case where she is barely affected.
    Yes. She is not one of those cases.

Read the book her parents wrote.

Also both of their kids have aspergers. Her sister is a much more mild case though.

That's her own doctors evaluation.

That doesn't discredit her opinions though.

It just makes her more vulnerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Greta is receiving ferocious criticism, which means a nerve has been struck. The personal attacks from some quarters highlighting her autism are unwarranted. I don't doubt her sincerity for a minute. Good luck to the young woman.

Autism Aspergers boo hoo.

She is part of the super rich elite she might be on a boat without a crapper by I doubt she or her family are riding public transport or attending overcrowded public hospitals.

Is that any different than your assertion that the child is the driving force behind this latest campaign?

Meh, if her and her father want to sail across the Atlantic, then ok. If you have evidence to the contrary let us know..
    You as an adult can’t really write “people won’t do what I want”.

I hope nothing bad happens to her, but I have no issues with them choosing to go. There are plenty of "higher-risk" forms of travel which countless numbers of people choose to travel on all the time

• Advertisement

Autism Aspergers boo hoo.

She is part of the super rich elite she might be on a boat without a crapper by I doubt she or her family are riding public transport or attending overcrowded public hospitals.
    No she used the NHS extensively.

I like think she literally lived in NHS hospitals and institutions for most of her childhood.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement