Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Her father is on the boat.

The rest of your post is a series of baseless tabloid type statements trying to generalise and dramatise her condition with zero knowledge of the circumstance (or the science I'd wager).

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

In simple terms it means using the minimum amount of energy and resources which we need and using them in a manner which is conducive to the resources being optimised for as long as possible and where is possible, are replaced through natural means.

Yeah unlike the wisecracker above (Not you btw) I know what the standard definition is.

What I asked was what it meant to you in relation to:
    that the impact of climate change is one element of this conversation but a broader more relevant element is the discussion of sustainability.

So you state that sustainability relates to:
    using the minimum amount of energy and resources which we need and using them in a manner which is conducive to the resources being optimised for as long as possible and where is possible, are replaced through natural means.

The issue that with a growing human population - there is a continuous and non sustainable demand on natural resources. If we are to provide housing, energy and food - all will require continued greenhouse gas emissions. We can off set and reduce some of this but by no means all. Unfortunatly this issue is not being discused. Construction for example results in huge emissions of Co2 whether houses are built of wood, concrete, metal etc . To keep global temperature rise below 2c it is estimated we need to reduce carbon emissions to zero. Practically this is not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Autism Aspergers boo hoo.

She is part of the super rich elite she might be on a boat without a crapper by I doubt she or her family are riding public transport or attending overcrowded public hospitals.

She has literally travelled throughout Europe on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Spot on.
    Its what her mother wrote in her book and what her doctors said.

I don't think her family are rich.

Her mom is an Opera singer. You socialize with aristocrats in that game. But the audience are ten times richer than you.

• Advertisement

She has literally travelled throughout Europe on public transport.

Bet she has not been on the Luas red line.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

Nermal wrote: »
    No, it's the idea that we can have a civilisation that doesn't depend on emitting carbon dioxide.

ECCRe1pVAAAgHpQ.jpg

Ah the do nothing approach. Fascinating.
    Maybe the nermal approach. Certainly the normal approach though.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Not confused in the slightest. People generate a false concern to mask the fact that they are just pissed off and want to indulge in moaning about something. It's boards after all.Of course you can't really write "Im sick of this climate change bull**** and this little attention seeker and her antics", so it has to be dressed upWe know the drill :)

And so you say - but that is simply a fairly rubbish diatribe against opinion you don't agree with.

If you can't put your argument forward without name calling and jibes or discuss the same logically - you're out. That's how it is and no one will take you seriously.

Edit: Just checked - There is not one single occurrence of your quoted hyperbole "I'm sick of this climate bull****" anywhere on boards. Tbh I'm not surprised you are making that up.

gozunda wrote: »
    The issue that with a growing human population - there is a continuous and non sustainable demand on natural resources. If we are to provide housing, energy and food - all will require continued greenhouse gas emissions. We can off set and reduce some of this but by no means all. Unfortunatly this issue is not being discused. Construction for example results in huge emissions of Co2 whether houses are built of wood, concrete, metal etc . To keep global temperature rise below 2c it is estimated we need to reduce carbon emissions to zero. Practically this is not going to happen.

The concept of the Circular Economy is being discussed more and more now.
    It is championed by someone familiar with sailing the worlds oceans herself, Dame Ellen McArthur.

There is not question but that there is a disparity between the focus on economic growth which drives so much in the Western society and true sustainability.

New Zealand (Under Jacinda Arden) is starting to set an example on this.

Originally Posted by Dohnjoe View Post
    Not confused in the slightest. People generate a false concern to mask the fact that they are just pissed off and want to indulge in moaning about something. It's boards after all.Of course you can't really write "Im sick of this climate change bull**** and this little attention seeker and her antics", so it has to be dressed upWe know the drill

If there is one thing you have to know about me its that if i have an unpopular opinion I will just say it and not care what anyone thinks.

• Advertisement

Its what her mother wrote in her book and what her doctors said.

Have you read the book?

Not, have you read someones review of the book, have you read it yourself?

The thread isn't about climate change its about Greta Thunberg and her voyage.

Also whatever is that video about??

Have you read the book?

Sadly the world seems to operate of headlines very few people ever read any further.

Have you read the book?

I have not read the book. Just excerpts.

I have posted the excerpts on this thread. It was really disturbing.

Some people on this thread just come off very selfish and not very understanding.

I have not read the book. Just excerpts.

I have posted the excerpts on this thread. It was really disturbing.

Some people on this thread just come off very selfish and not very understanding.

You might be surprised how much some people understand.

The thread isn't about climate change its about Greta Thunberg and her voyage.

Also whatever is that video about??

Her voyage is about so called man made climate change.:D

Her voyage is about so called man made climate change.:D

Climate change is man made.

The concept of the Circular Economy is being discussed more and more now.
    It is championed by someone familiar with sailing the worlds oceans herself, Dame Ellen McArthur.

There is not question but that there is a disparity between the focus on economic growth which drives so much in the Western society and true sustainability.

New Zealand (Under Jacinda Arden) is starting to set an example on this.

Yes I'm familiar with many of those ideas. Unfortunately they remain outliers in the current debate which appears to be all about screaming zero emissions with fek all understanding what that entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Meh, if her and her father want to sail across the Atlantic, then ok. If you have evidence to the contrary let us know..

I’ve already presented evidence to the contrary. This campaign was the idea of an adult who wanted to emulate the school strikes in the US, and relate it to climate change. Greta was inspired by his idea to start a school strike, and none of her friends were interested. Now they are. Now whether that’s the bandwagon effect or whether it’s because they’re suddenly listening to Greta, I don’t know.

I know that Greta refuses to use airline travel like most people do, and certainly making transatlantic crossings is something by boat is something adults don’t generally do, let alone children. Greta would not have been able to make the trip on her own, so she has the adults again making her travel arrangements. They could absolutely have said no at that point, that it was safer and more practical for them to go by air.

I don’t see anything ok or acceptable about putting any child at risk like that.

I hope nothing bad happens to her, but I have no issues with them choosing to go. There are plenty of "higher-risk" forms of travel which countless numbers of people choose to travel on all the time

It’s not just the “form of travel” is the issue though, is it? It’s the whole idea. Greta isn’t willing to take a flight like most people would, which would also be a much safer way to get to travel, she is being allowed by her parents to travel in a yacht across the globe, the logistics of which means it’s not as environmentally friendly at all as travelling by air.

“Meh” as much as you want of course, but you can’t claim to be surprised when people are equally “meh” about the things you give a fcuk about that they don’t.

• Advertisement

Look at this scientific FACT sorry the hillbilly in the other video did my message no favours.:D

gozunda wrote: »
    Yes I'm familiar with many of those ideas. Unfortunately they remain outliers in the current debate which appears to be all about screaming zero emissions with fek all understanding what that entails.

Well, Greta has herself said that the solutions required do not yet fully exist, maybe we should focus on finding those solutions (including development of CE which I am a big believer in) rather than saying she is screaming about just one thing and doesn't have all the answers.

Look at this scientific FACT sorry the hillbilly in the other video did my message no favours.:D

Well considering the point of the whole voyage is to point out climate change is man made, apologies cinemaguy, but i really don't see your point. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You are even wrong in this simple statement.

Climate change has always occurred. What is man made (or at least has occurred as a result of our actions) is the dramatic increase in CO2 levels in the atmosphere.

Also, excessive mining, deforestation, etc is an issue in terms of our throwaway culture exacerbating the problem.

What is man made (or at least has occurred as a result of our actions) is the dramatic increase in CO2 levels in the atmosphere.
    Do you deny that is causing climate change? And that that climate change is responsible for extreme weather conditions and events in recent years?

You do know people can recover from mental illness don't you?

People don't recover from autism, you do know that right?

Well considering the point of the whole voyage is to point out climate change is man made i really don't see your point.

We are going into a Grand Solar Minimum which happens about every 400 years or so.
    The harvest this year is going to be a disaster for the United States Europe and China.

We are going into a period of cooling caused by a lack of energy from the Sun.

Crop losses across the United States Europe and China have been massive this year watch the price of food shoot up.
    The media are keeping a lid on this but this can not go on much longer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49048822

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I’ve already presented evidence to the contrary. This campaign was the idea of an adult who wanted to emulate the school strikes in the US, and relate it to climate change. Greta was inspired by his idea to start a school strike, and none of her friends were interested. Now they are. Now whether that’s the bandwagon effect or whether it’s because they’re suddenly listening to Greta, I don’t know.

I know that Greta refuses to use airline travel like most people do, and certainly making transatlantic crossings is something by boat is something adults don’t generally do, let alone children. Greta would not have been able to make the trip on her own, so she has the adults again making her travel arrangements. They could absolutely have said no at that point, that it was safer and more practical for them to go by air.

I don’t see anything ok or acceptable about putting any child at risk like that.

It's their choice. Millions of teenagers do dangerous things and take unnecessary risks with their parents blessing. It doesn't mean they are coerced into it.

It’s not just the “form of travel” is the issue though, is it? It’s the whole idea. Greta isn’t willing to take a flight like most people would, which would also be a much safer way to get to travel, she is being allowed by her parents to travel in a yacht across the globe, the logistics of which means it’s not as environmentally friendly at all as travelling by air.

“Meh” as much as you want of course, but you can’t claim to be surprised when people are equally “meh” about the things you give a fcuk about that they don’t.

Again, it's their choice. I certainly wouldn't go on a sailboat across the Atlantic, but they are willing to take that risk.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    People don't recover from autism, you do know that right?

Not even remotely related to my post.

Do you want to try again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement