Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Not a dry eye in Heaven....

Average life expectancy in Bangladesh 2018....71.1 years.

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/bangladesh-life-expectancy

Average Life Expectancy in Ireland 2018. .... 79.7 Years.

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/ireland-life-expectancy

So,with a little luck,going back to the future will solve many of our issues.....:confused:

We better get moving before them Bangla's get the notion of heading towards our standard ?

Right, so in order to save the environment we have to live like a 3rd world country that is corrupt and where women are treated like second class citizens?

Surely having less kids would be easier? Of course it doesn’t suit the narrative, people want to continue overpopulating the world and then act like eco warriors when it comes to the environment.

OMG we haz to save the environment for all me childers and granchilders.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Right, so in order to save the environment we have to live like a 3rd world country that is corrupt and where women are treated like second class citizens?

Surely having less kids would be easier? Of course it doesn’t suit the narrative, people want to continue overpopulating the world and then act like eco warriors when it comes to the environment.

OMG we haz to save the environment for all me childers and granchilders.

Once again. Even if we had less kids, we're still consuming way too much in rich countries. Are you willing to have less kids, and buy less crap and lower your standards of living?

Once again. Even if we had less kids, we're still consuming way too much in rich countries. Are you willing to have less kids, and buy less crap and lower your standards of living?

"and"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

"and"?

and what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Hottest decade on record. Nothing to worry about. Just a happy coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I can't help but feel that the whole thing is a bit daft. A rich teenager sailing across the sea like a superhero.

3bidrm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I’m just wondering to myself, come Paddy’s day are all the ministers going to sacrifice flying to all corners of the globe and Leo cancel his washington trip? I gather mr climate Bruton definately won’t be flying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I see greta has arrived in Lisbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

easypazz wrote: »

She has indeed and again telling the great unwashed how things should be done to save the planet...
    Climate activist Greta Thunberg has said she will continue to "put pressure on people in power,"

A couple more tantrums no doubt ...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/03/europe/greta-thunberg-lisbon-cop25-intl-scli/index.html
    "We need to work together to make sure that we secure future living conditions for humankind and that we fight for not only ourselves but for our children and for our grandchildren and for every single living being on earth," the teenage activist told reporters.

There we are folks - everyone needs to keep breeding to save the planet for ourselves.

Brings to mind a piece of humour I saw recently

3i1ggs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hottest decade on record. Nothing to worry about. Just a happy coincidence.
    Since records began, not the same thing! :D

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    She has indeed and again telling the great unwashed how things should be done to save the planet...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/03/europe/greta-thunberg-lisbon-cop25-intl-scli/index.html

There we are folks - everyone needs to keep breeding to save the planet for ourselves.

3i1ggs.jpg

She makes it all sound so easy. A lot of people are only a couple of bounced pay cheques from poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,729 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

She makes it all sound so easy. A lot of people are only a couple of bounced pay cheques from poverty.

Does she?

What does she say that makes it sound easy?

3i1ggs.jpg

What was that you were saying about some people not being able to make a compelling argument?

Anyway, I'll discuss at the level you are obviously comfortable with.

Djd2UxQXcAUb_Ik.jpg

What was that you were saying about some people not being able to make a compelling argument? Anyway, I'll discuss at the level you are obviously comfortable with....

Nope. Again no idea who or what you are referring to. I reckon you're mixing peoples posts up tbh. Can't think otherwise for the constant confusion. But hey no worries.

Want to discuss the article no? Genuine question.

Note: As detailed previously (many times) none of that denies climate change btw.

I think snoopsheep put it very well ...
    snoopsheep wrote:
    please dont project your insulting notions of my thoughts, its unnecessary and quite offensive as a habit.
    i note that we now dont have to listen to greta, that people cared about the environment before greta, that greta is not the authoritative voice on any environmental issue, and that one can in fact care about the environment without, even now, agreeing with greta.

Does she?

What does she say that makes it sound easy?

We need to work together to make sure that we secure future living conditions for humankind

Just like that. Lets all world leaders play happy clappy because Greta says so.

Donald Trump got elected on a campaign pledge to put American peoples wealth ahead of staying in the Paris accord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

How do you think you would feel when chatting to your grandchildren about their difficulty in dealing with the consequences of disastrous climate events which were the result of mans impact on the environment.

Won’t somebody think of the ‘grand’children

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

If I have to see George ( we're doomed I tell ya, doomed) Lee again on the news I'll shoot the fu5king tv.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

KSU wrote: »
    Crisis over

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(19)31230-9

This will really confuse the CC activists who also attend the Free Palestine protests

In short- they have genetically engineered cells, so they're sufficiently starving that they'll try to carbon from CO2- and in the process, fix environmental CO2 into organic forms.

Genetically starving cells- is a recipe for them to evolve at an abnormally fast rate independent of the environment they find themselves in. We already have serious issues with other strains of e-coli- it is entirely foreseeable that we're creating conditions for future strains of super e-coli to run riot.

At present this is purely a laboratory experiment- how long before some bright spark decides to upscale it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Some rather nice snaps here...

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/greta-thunberg-arrives-in-europe-for-climate-conference-after-threeweek-boat-journey-38749300.html

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/we-are-watching-you-greta-thunberg-s-message-as-she-sails-into-lisbon-en-route-to-cop-25-climate-summit
    "We are watching you. The younger generation is watching you and we will make sure that you actually must do something.

"I think people are underestimating the force of angry kids. We are angry and we are frustrated but it is because a good reason.

"If they want us to stop being angry then maybe they should stop making us angry."

The royal "We".

Stop making "Me" angry and .........what then ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

People need to realise that our pollution has potential to severely affect extremely poor people on other parts of the planet.

For example if our actions cause more extreme drought in Africa leading to death and famine we need to take responsibility for this.

Not my problem, not our problem. Unluckily for them through the lottery of birth they were born in a third world country. I’m not gonna flagellate myself because there’s a drought in Somalia.

• Advertisement

Not my problem, not our problem. Unluckily for them through the lottery of birth they were born in a third world country. I’m not gonna flagellate myself because there’s a drought in Somalia.

Thankfully, you are vastly in the minority in today's world.

the human race would not have survived this long if everyone was so self focused.

Thank you laying it out so succinctly.

the human race would not have survived this long if everyone was so self focused.

If you think I’m in the minority you are living with your head in the clouds.

If you think I’m in the minority you are living with your head in the clouds.

As I said, if that mentality was the majority, the human race would not be here by now. We wouldn't be having this conversation.

You are a minority. I think you like that fact, it makes you feel unique.

AlekSmart wrote: »

Listen to the science.

It's a pretty straightforward message? Why do you struggle to grasp it?

Listen to the science.

It's a pretty straightforward message? Why do you struggle to grasp it?

Alas if only greta did...

A bit like the homeless problem is not your problem?

What evidence have you that she doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,429 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

more progress!

which people do *you* think shouldnt have kids?

That was what I asked you. You’re the one telling people not to breed

• Registered Users Posts: 22,429 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

“Listen to the science” That’s exactly what Greta said today.

• Advertisement

source?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement