Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

source?

197 countries have signed up to the paris accord.

There would be no Paris accord if a majority of people were against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What evidence have you that she doesn't?

She may say it but does she actually do it?

As the one making the claim that she does - but without any evidence that she has either: A. actually listened in the first place or B. has any real understanding what is being said.

She certainly may spout on about 'listening' etc but it appears she would rather use doomsdayism and personal histrionics in the stead of any informed logic. But you know that already.

This for starters:
    Greta:
    "Around the year 2030, 10 years 252 days and 10 hours away from now, we will be in a position where we set off an irreversible chain reaction beyond human control, that will most likely lead to the end of our civilisation as we know it"There is no mention of only 12 years left in the IPCC report.

That seems comes from greta thunbergs unique take on climate change and the end of civilisation apparently ...

This is what one of the IPCC scientists said:
    Please stop saying something globally bad is going to happen in 2030. Bad stuff is already happening and every half a degree of warming matters, but the IPCC does not draw a “planetary boundary” at 1.5°C beyond which lie climate dragons.

Verdict: I'm with the IPCC scientist on this. Greta? Definitely not.

And finally if the UN conference in NewYork was anything to go by I'm sure we can expect the next round of tantrums any time soon tbh.

Note: None of that denies climate change btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,729 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Dr - You have cancer, you need to stop smoking and start treatment immediately.
    Patient with Gozunda mentality - Is it serious?
    Dr - Definitely. Yes.
    Patient - How serious?
    Dr - It could be terminal.
    Patient - How long have I?
    Dr - Maybe 6 months. Maybe a year.
    Patient - I'm sorry, if you can't tell me exactly, I'm going to continue smoking and not start treatment.
    Dr - All the consulting team agree you need treatment. Immediately.
    Patient - Save it Doc, I saw a post on Facebook saying cancer is curable with a combination of carrot juice and cranial massage therapy.
    Dr - Best of luck.

easypazz wrote: »
    We need to work together to make sure that we secure future living conditions for humankind

Just like that. Lets all world leaders play happy clappy because Greta says so.

Donald Trump got elected on a campaign pledge to put American peoples wealth ahead of staying in the Paris accord.

That seems to be the general idea pushed for sure. Here's Greta in clap mode. Looking vaguely happy ;)

3id6v8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

If you think I’m in the minority you are living with your head in the clouds.

Now there's two of us :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Listen to the science.

It's a pretty straightforward message? Why do you struggle to grasp it?

Where do ye get the "struggling" from ?

You could lock yourself away and listen to The Science for the rest of your life,and still have to embrace significant differences at the end of it all.

I'll have to just "struggle" on,I suppose ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

197 countries have signed up to the paris accord.

There would be no Paris accord if a majority of people were against it.

197 Governments have signed up,and it's a fair bet that the numbers of Individuals who have read through and digested the Accord largely equals the numbers of Polititians & Civil Servants who drew it up......oh and not forgetting the Experts who contributed to the document.

The electorates will be thinking...."How much is all of this gonna cost ME ?" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

78405978-2832973836754124-1297911886758543360-n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

A bit like the homeless problem is not your problem?

100% Look after yourself and quit looking for handouts.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Some rather nice snaps here...
    We are watching you. The younger generation is watching you and we will make sure that you actually must do something.

"I think people are underestimating the force of angry kids. We are angry and we are frustrated but it is because a good reason.

"If they want us to stop being angry then maybe they should stop making us angry."

The royal "We".

Stop making "Me" angry and .........what then ?

Lol -'Angry Kids'. Looks like we're in for a whole new bunch of Tantrums - which I'm sure the gretas worshippers will be holding up as an essential part of that new religion 'The Science'* :D

https://www.goodtherapy.org/learn-about-therapy/types/anger-management

Makes me think of this for some reason ...

3id5xl.jpg

*not to be confused with real science or fact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

They can get as angry as they want along with some of the posters on here because none of them will dictate to me and tell me how i will live my life especially coming from posters on here who never had a car , have their cushy job up the road or are vegetarians, just to suit their own agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Hmmm. The lack of intelligent debate and informed argument against Greta, and what she stands for, is disappointing. Just childish memes, personal attacks on her and mocking. Never mind the shallow 'get a job' and fúck everyone else' posts. I suppose when you don't have an argument to make, that's all you've got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Hmmm. The lack of intelligent debate and informed argument against Greta, and what she stands for, is disappointing. Just childish memes, personal attacks on her and mocking. Never mind the shallow 'get a job' and fúck everyone else' posts. I suppose when you don't have an argument to make, that's all you've got.

Tbh I see no difference in your posting style/ content and that of those you disagree with. That also applies to a few others whom one would consider fellow travellers of yours, it would be impolite to name them though.

Hmmm indeed lol. Read the OPs comment and the thread title? But yes funnily enough its a tongue in cheek look at gretas travels across the world. I would have thought after x number of pages - everyone would have got that now. I suppose though if anyone doesn't like that no need to read further I suppose no? But eitherway some of the outrage and ad hominem that anyone would dare say anything about saint greta is fairly hilarious alright. But hey there we are ...

Micky 32 wrote: »
    They can get as angry as they want along with some of the posters on here because none of them will dictate to me and tell me how i will live my life especially coming from posters on here who never had a car , have their cushy job up the road or are vegetarians, just to suit their own agenda.

But you are being dictated to, whether you like it or not.

In a few years you will be forced to drive an electric car.

You are already being forced to pay more for electricity via the higher cost of renewable energy.

If you burn coal at home you are forced to pay more via carbon tax.

If you use diesel or petrol in your car you are being forced to pay a carbon tax.

So you are being dictated to, suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The government already dictates what you can and cant do.The green agenda means theyll likely be dictating many more things regarding your car and taxes in the future.

The government already dictates what you can and cant do.The green agenda means theyll likely be dictating many more things regarding your car and taxes in the future.

He has no choice but to suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Greta and her pushy mother preach about consumerism and veganism yet sit on chairs at home covered with animal hide that cost about the same as the average family car...each. The irony completely lost on them of course. A classic case of do as we say, not as we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,729 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

gozunda wrote: »
    Hmmm indeed lol. Read the OPs comment and the thread title? But yes funnily enough its a tongue in cheek look at gretas travels across the world. I would have thought after x number of pages - everyone would have got that now. I suppose though if anyone doesn't like that no need to read further I suppose no? But eitherway some of the outrage and ad hominem that anyone would dare say anything about saint greta is fairly hilarious alright. But hey there we are ...

Pivot!
    Pivot!!
    Pivot!!!

You've gone through every position trying to undermine the efforts and impact of Greta's work.

This is the reason I've continued to post on this insane thread, to allow climate change deniers to show their true colours in that they've got no other basis for arguing against Greta than basic hatred.

The motivation for that hatred is particular to each individual, we've seen misogny, ageism, tin hat theory, faux child welfare concern, it's a tax ploy, selfishness, plain old ignorance and now it's a light hearted take.

You are unique in that you've held pretty much each of these positions at various points across the thread so I suppose you deserve some sort of bingo award for that.

Greta and her pushy mother preach about consumerism and veganism yet sit on chairs at home covered with animal hide that cost about the same as the average family car...each. The irony completely lost on them of course. A classic case of do as we say, not as we do.

I don't disagree with what you say at all, and she should be challenged by the media about her lifestyle, and how is it is to be a hero given here apparent wealth, the same as any politician gets challenged for say, driving around in a big merc. while preaching carbon tax.

But people can believe that climate change is a serious issue and not be fans of Greta.

• Advertisement

Pivot! Pivot!! Pivot!!! You've gone through every position trying to undermine the efforts and impact of Greta's work.This is the reason I've continued to post on this insane thread, to allow climate change deniers to show their true colours in that they've got no other basis for arguing against Greta than basic hatred. The motivation for that hatred is particular to each individual, we've seen misogny, ageism, tin hat theory, faux child welfare concern, it's a tax ploy, selfishness, plain old ignorance and now it's a light hearted take.You are unique in that you've held pretty much each of these positions at various points across the thread so I suppose you deserve some sort of bingo award for that.

Rflol.

Angry? Anyway you must have missed this. But no matter...
    gozunda wrote: »
    Nope. Again no idea who or what you are referring to. I reckon you're mixing peoples posts up tbh. Can't think otherwise for the constant confusion. But hey no worries.

Note: As detailed previously (many times) none of that denies climate change btw.

I think snoopsheep put it very well ...
    snoopsheep wrote:
    please dont project your insulting notions of my thoughts, its unnecessary and quite offensive as a habit.
    i note that we now dont have to listen to greta, that people cared about the environment before greta, that greta is not the authoritative voice on any environmental issue, and that one can in fact care about the environment without, even now, agreeing with greta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

But people can believe that climate change is a serious issue and not be fans of Greta.

Fully accept we have a serious issue with our climate, but I choose to ignore the tantrums of a highly strung teenager.

Thelonious - there's s bit of a difference in an elected government and governance and a bunch of hysterical noobs screaming that we are all going to die if we dont do what they want.

But you are being dictated to, whether you like it or not.

In a few years you will be forced to drive an electric car.

You are already being forced to pay more for electricity via the higher cost of renewable energy.

If you burn coal at home you are forced to pay more via carbon tax.

If you use diesel or petrol in your car you are being forced to pay a carbon tax.

So you are being dictated to, suck it up.

Suck it up? You watching too many usa movies? That’s what you think. I’m guessing you probably have the same put on american accent as these kids.

I have the ways and means and legality to relocate to the USA which i’ll be doing in the next 10 years. So in 10 years while you’re driving your battery car i’ll be going around in a V10.

Did you read my post? Governments always dictate, my point is it won’t be by you or by kids.

Suck it up? You watching too many usa movies? That’s what you think. I’m guessing you probably have the same put on american accent as these kids.

I have the ways and means and legality to relocate to the USA which i’ll be doing in the next 10 years. So in 10 years while you’re driving your battery car i’ll be going around in a V10.

So in 10 years time you are relocating to the USA to avoid driving an electric car.

:D:D:D:D

So in 10 years time you are relocating to the USA to avoid driving an electric car.

:D:D:D:D

Nah, it was always my plan.The country will have more freedom than the sh*thole you currently reside in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Until the elephant in the room is addressed its all pointless -

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/07/africa-birth-control-global-population-crisis

Take say Uganda. In 1960 it was an Ireland in terms of numbers 6.7 million, today its over 42 million. Thats repeated throughout the developing World.

It's ridiculous. Every human being having children (myself) is damaging the planet as well.

Nah, it was always my plan.The country will have more freedom than the sh*thole you currently reside in.

So you are going to live in a ****h*le for the next 10 years when you could be in the land of milk and honey.

Did you read my post? I wasn’t talking about the government. I’m talking about your little cult angry kid friends.

You’re in dreamland if you think the government will penalise people too much, they won’t want to lose elections by upsetting people. It’s all a farce, their agenda isn’t as green as you think. Yeah 2 cent a litre on fuel lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭jackboy

In fairness no one in this thread hates Greta. I admire her in some ways, it takes great courage to make a speech at the UN and deal with the constant media attention.

However, there is nothing wrong with mocking her and her team. It is clear as day that the Greta phenonemon is manufactured and she has been latched onto and manipulated by those of certain politics. It's classic and obvious propaganda.

This doesn't mean that she doesn't believe what she is saying. She does, with passion, which makes her an ideal candidate for the tasks she is being given.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement