Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

We are going into a Grand Solar Minimum which happens about every 400 years or so.
    The harvest this year is going to be a disaster for the United States Europe and China.

We are going into a period of cooling caused by a lack of energy from the Sun.

Crop losses across the United States Europe and China have been massive this year watch the price of food shoot up.
    The media are keeping a lid on this but this can not go on much longer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49048822

Oh right, I thought you were joking about the climate denial thing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well, Greta has herself said that the solutions required do not yet fully exist, maybe we should focus on finding those solutions (including development of CE which I am a big believer in) rather than saying she is screaming about just one thing and doesn't have all the answers.

'And Greta has said" :rolleyes: And yet her speeches appear to ignore this issue and advocate that we all should 'panic' and run around like headless chickens. Not a particularly useful message tbh. Of course she doesn't have the answers- she's a kid. The scientists dont yet have the answers and yet we are in danger of being pushed headlong over the cliff by the screamers who dont understand this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Oh right, I thought you were joking about the climate denial thing

The Grand Solar Minimum is a scientific fact.

gozunda wrote: »
    'And Greta has said" :rolleyes: And yet her speeches appear to ignore this issue and advocate that we all should 'panic' and run around like headless chickens.

I mean maybe, but which of her speeches specifically advocate "'panic' and run around like headless chickens."?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

'And Greta has said" :rolleyes: And yet her speeches appear to ignore this issue and advocate that we all should 'panic' and run around like headless chickens. Not a particularly useful message tbh. Of course she doesn't have the answers- she's a kid. The scientists dont yet have the answers and yet we are in danger of being pushed headlong over the cliff by the screamers who dont understand this.

You obviously don't understand why the cliff edge is approaching.
    It is not the fault of those who point it out. It's not like the danger suddenly appeared because Greta or anyone else decided to talk about it.

Or maybe you think that's exactly what happened. I mean, Donald Trump doesn't think there's a problem, maybe he is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Not even remotely related to my post.

Do you want to try again?
    Her anorexia was typical of people with autism rather than neurotypical sufferers. The same with her self harm.

Its a symptom of her Aspergers rather than a separate mental illness.

There seems to be an overlap between anorexia and autism.

The Grand Solar Minimum is a scientific fact.

Okay cool, but man-made climate change.. you believe that's all a hoax or?

No worse she and others will be dismissed as crying wolf.

People will become desensitized to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's their choice. Millions of teenagers do dangerous things and take unnecessary risks with their parents blessing. It doesn't mean they are coerced into it.

Again, it's their choice. I certainly wouldn't go on a sailboat across the Atlantic, but they are willing to take that risk.

I didn’t say anything about it not being their choice?

I’m making the point that I don’t think it’s a very good choice, so while you might argue that Greta is a role model for other children, yes, she is, and I wouldn’t want those children thinking it’s a good idea to do what she’s doing either.

I’m also making the point that her parents have the ability to prevent her from putting her life at risk for what she undoubtedly truly believes in and appears as though she will stop at nothing to make herself heard. I think now you can understand why I would be concerned that other children would copy her methods, and their parents enabling them to do so.

I know you don’t think it’s a good idea to allow children to risk their lives for something they believe. Most people don’t, and that’s why this whole campaign isn’t just silly, it’s ultimately futile.

Her anorexia was typical of people with autism rather than neurotypical sufferers. The same with her self harm.

Its a symptom of her Aspergers rather than a separate mental illness.

There seems to be an overlap between anorexia and autism.

Her Aspergers is being highlighted to shut down those who quite rightly point out the hypocrisy of this publicity stunt.

• Advertisement

I’m making the point that I don’t think it’s a very good choice, so while you might argue that Greta is a role model for other children, yes, she is, and I wouldn’t want those children thinking it’s a good idea to do what she’s doing either.

I think the issue is that she is being lionized.

Fair enough, but it's all a little "won't someone think of the children". Malala wasn't exactly a good role model for risk/danger by speaking out about the Taliban and then getting shot in the head. However, she took that risk herself, and the message she sent is far bigger than that. In this case, they aren't all clueless, many know the risk, I'm not overly worried about an epidemic of teenagers dragging their parents across the Atlantic in sailboats

Her Aspergers is being highlighted to shut down those who quite rightly point out the hypocrisy of this publicity stunt.

Her Aspergers is a reality of her daily life.

In fact I think she hides it a lot and so do people around her.

Her Aspergers is a reality of her daily life.

In fact I think she hides it a lot and so do people around her.

'Hides it' or lives her life in spite of it.

There's a big difference and I'm sure she's doing the latter. And that she would be applauded by most people for doing so.

There's a big difference and I'm sure she's doing the latter. And that she would be applauded by most people for doing so.

She lives her life with it. She is not doing anything in spite of it. & I would suggest that her obsession with climate change has a lot to do with her aspergers. A fact I think she has stated herself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Do you deny that is causing climate change? And that that climate change is responsible for extreme weather conditions and events in recent years?

There is a difference between weather and climate. Compared to extreme weather events over the last few thousand years the last few years have been calm with few extreme events experienced.

Okay cool, but man-made climate change.. you believe that's all a hoax or?

It is silly to choose to believe anything at face value.

Man made climate change who can say for sure but I came across this thing of solar cycles about a year ago and everything that has been predicted has come true.

I remember the media telling us in the 90s snow would be a thing of the past at the turn of the century.

I try to judge sources on their track record and global warming became climate change and even that is now giving way to climate extremes.

We are going into the Eddy Grand Solar Minimum that is scientific FACT and even if man made climate change is real you can forget about it for 30 years or so we are going into Global cooling and massive crop losses during this limited period.

She does both.
    I think a lot of it is hidden.

Well she certainly seems to really piss off a particular portion of people

Malala wasn't exactly a good role model for risk/danger by speaking out about the Taliban and then getting shot in the head.

wow

• Advertisement

Well she certainly seems to really piss off a particular portion of people
    And they are the type of people we need on our side.

Divide and rule doesn't work for social change it works for dictators.

Man made climate change who can say for sure

The majority of scientists for a start
    I remember the media telling us in the 90s snow would be a thing of the past at the turn of the century.

Never ever heard that
    We are going into the Eddy Grand Solar Minimum that is scientific FACT and even if man made climate change is real you can forget about it for 30 years or so we are going into Global cooling and massive crop losses during this limited period.

Yeah, but make sure to put it into scientific context

I didn’t say anything about it not being their choice?

I’m also making the point that her parents have the ability to prevent her from putting her life at risk for what she undoubtedly truly believes in and appears as though she will stop at nothing to make herself heard. I think now you can understand why I would be concerned that other children would copy her methods, and their parents enabling them to do so.

I know you don’t think it’s a good idea to allow children to risk their lives for something they believe. Most people don’t, and that’s why this whole campaign isn’t just silly, it’s ultimately futile.

You seem to think that what she's doing is like as if she's paddling across the Atlantic on her own.

A plane journey, car journey etc contains risk. But we seem it to be an acceptable risk. They have decided so too is this journey.

So, before she got in the yacht, what was your view of Greta?

wow
    I think we need to teach teens to be selfish take care of themselves and their families.

So, before she got in the yacht, what was your view of Greta?

A sweetheart. Naive innocent. Someone trying to do what they felt was the right thing. Cute.

The majority of scientists for a start

Never ever heard that

Yeah, but make sure to put it into scientific context

The last Grand Solar Minimum.

Between 1600 and 1814, it was not uncommon for the River Thames to freeze over for up to two months at time. There were two main reasons for this; the first was that Britain (and the entire of the Northern Hemisphere) was locked in what is now known as the ‘Little Ice Age’. The other catalyst was the medieval London Bridge and its piers, and specifically how closely spaced together they were. During winter, pieces of ice would get lodged between the piers and effectively dam up the river, meaning it was easier for it to freeze.

Although these harsh winters often brought with them famine and death, it was the local Londonders – as enterprising and resilient as ever – who decided to make the most of it and set up the Thames Frost Fairs. In fact, between 1607 and 1814 there were a total of seven major fairs, as well as countless smaller ones.

These Frost Fairs would have been quite a spectacle, full of hastily constructed shops, pubs, ice skating rinks… everything that you would expect in the crowded streets of London but on ice!

thames-frost-faires.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Fair enough, but it's all a little "won't someone think of the children". Malala wasn't exactly a good role model for risk/danger by speaking out about the Taliban and then getting shot in the head. However, she took that risk herself, and the message she sent is far bigger than that. In this case, they aren't all clueless, many know the risk, I'm not overly worried about an epidemic of teenagers dragging their parents across the Atlantic in sailboats

Had to google her, not something I’d have agreed with either tbh because I do think it’s adults responsibility to actually think of the children and I’ve never seen anything wrong in saying that.

I understand of course that just because I don’t get the message doesn’t mean plenty more people haven’t gotten the message, but I’d prefer if it was adults delivering that message on their children’s behalf rather than adults using children to do what should be their responsibility.

In this case I don’t see it the same way you do - I don’t think the adults are as clueless as they appear to be in permitting a child to put themselves at risk. I think the adults are thinking of the bigger picture from their own perspective in the very same way as you’re doing which appears to make a child making sacrifices on behalf of adults somehow acceptable. I just don’t think it is acceptable and there is no justification for allowing a child to put themselves at risk. It doesn’t matter that they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I mean maybe, but which of her speeches specifically advocate "'panic' and run around like headless chickens."?
    You obviously don't understand why the cliff edge is approaching. It is not the fault of those who point it out. It's not like the danger suddenly appeared because Greta or anyone else decided to talk about it.Or maybe you think that's exactly what happened. I mean, Donald Trump doesn't think there's a problem, maybe he is correct.

On panic:
    Seems to be one of her standard lines in a bunch of videos of her speeches

Here's some examples ...
    “My name is Greta Thunberg, I am 16 years old, I come from Sweden and I want you to panic,”

And
    " I don’t want your hope. I don’t want you to be hopeful. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day."

Panic usually involves running around headless hence the chicken analogy .

Also this on cliff edge thinking:

Ms Thunberg
    " Around the year 2030, 10 years 252 days and 10 hours away from now, we will be in a position where we set off an irreversible chain reaction beyond human control, that will most likely lead to the end of our civilisation as we know it."

This is what one of the scientists responsible for the IPCC report said.
    "Please stop saying something globally bad is going to happen in 2030. Bad stuff is already happening and every half a degree of warming matters, but the IPCC does not draw a “planetary boundary” at 1.5°C beyond which lie climate dragons".

Okay okay, I submit, the writing is big so it must be true.

• Advertisement

riginally Posted by CinemaGuy45 View Post

This would be cooling the earth no not warming it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement