Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

I wasn't 'lecturing' you, relax. I said it was insignificant in the large scale of things - and pointed out how you can quickly save yourself some money, with less waste being a side benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

KyussB wrote: »
    I wasn't 'lecturing' you, relax. I said it was insignificant in the large scale of things - and pointed out how you can quickly save yourself some money, with less waste being a side benefit.

It was directed at “ tell me how”.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,711 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I honestly DON’T care what YOU think is significant or not, so stop with the lecturing posts directed at me, thank you.

I'm not lecturing anything at you. But once again, keep in mind how discussion boards work.
    I can tell you my plastic footprint is quite low as it is.

It’s Saturday night, are you not going out to enjoy yourself? I am....

Its 6pm where I am. Thanks for looking out for me. ;)

I'm not lecturing anything at you. But once again, keep in mind how discussion boards work.

Its 6pm where I am. Thanks for looking out for me. ;)

I’m well aware how boards discussions work. You and another boards member made a suggestion about how to drink water which was appreciated and not a bad idea , i actually have a container lying around somewhere, but you ASSUMED i had an un willingness about it. I never dismissed the idea at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Micky 32 wrote:
    It was directed at “ tell me howâ€.

When people have multiple boards accounts, it's hard to remember which they are signed into.

• Advertisement

Ironicname wrote: »
    When people have multiple boards accounts, it's hard to remember which they are signed into.

Eh? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Micky 32 wrote:
    Eh? Lol

Sorry man. Don't mind me. Few too many.dont actually have anything to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Greta Thunberg says school strikes have achieved nothing
    Activist says 4% greenhouse gas emissions rise since 2015 shows action is insufficient

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/06/greta-thunberg-says-school-strikes-have-achieved-nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭wassie

I find it hilarious when the climate change brigade blame forrest fires on climate change.

The bigger factor contributing to the intensisty of the fire is the lack of seasonal prescribed burning before the summer months to reduce the fuel load in the forrests on the east coast of australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I can tell you my plastic footprint is quite low as it is.

It’s Saturday night, are you not going out to enjoy yourself? I am....

Micky 32 you have sinned against St greta of the wanderings and made her cry :(

Take yourself out the back and give yourself a good talking to. Flagilation with a plastic bottle is optional

Here is a photo of st greta showing us how it should be done .... ;)

9wx222sk0no31.jpg

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Micky 32 you have sinned against St greta of the wanderings and made her cry :(

If that’s the case she might want to stock up on a s***t load of hankies, she’s gonna need them :-), i hope they’re environmentally friendly though ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cutelad

Shes a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/just-20-of-ireland-s-rivers-are-pristine-down-from-500-in-1980s-1.4110018

20 pristine rivers left, down from 500 in the 80s. Agriculture the biggest polluter followed by treatment plants and septic tanks. How bad is it going to be in another 50 years? But nothing to see here folks, Ireland is insignificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭jackboy

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/just-20-of-ireland-s-rivers-are-pristine-down-from-500-in-1980s-1.4110018

20 pristine rivers left, down from 500 in the 80s. Agriculture the biggest polluter followed by treatment plants and septic tanks. How bad is it going to be in another 50 years? But nothing to see here folks, Ireland is insignificant.
    That is not really related to climate change.

A lot of that could be fixed easy enough anyway if the will was there. The amount of local farmers I see who spread slurry beside rivers and streams. It then rains and the river is destroyed. As far as I can see there is no policing of this. I presume there are no resources for the task. Similar issues with spreading fertilizer, a bit of care would make a huge difference.

The issues with treatment plants could be solved easily also but there is no real interest in doing this.

Greta and extinction rebellion aren't just about climate change either. The wanton destruction of nature contributes to climate change in some ways anyway.

It should actually improve in the next 50 years. This was caused in the past before rules and regulations were put in place in the last few years. So you are right nothing to see here folks.

jackboy wrote: »
    That is not really related to climate change.

Enviromental issues usually go hand in hand with the so called climate activists. God forbid if they really had issues to worry about in their lives.

It should actually improve in the next 50 years. This was caused in the past before rules and regulations were put in place in the last few years. So you are right nothing to see here folks.

But it seems to be getting worse. There was a woman on RTE this morning from the EPA saying it's getting worse and nothing is really being done to improve the situation. But I'm sure you know better than the EPA.

But I'm sure you know better than the EPA.
    Sometimes things get worse before they improve.

Sure you live in Dublin, you’ll be grand ;-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As a fisherman of rivers and lakes over my lifetime I have seen this with my own eyes. The rivers I fished as a child are for the most part shadows of what they were. The exceptions funny enough are in urban areas, where some ecological diversity has come back because of efforts both concerned neighbourhood and local authority level to clean them up. In the rural areas while the rivers look clean, sometimes cleaner than they were, the die off, particularly in insect life in some cases is quite sobering(as a flyfishing type it's more obvious to me). But even if you never fished a river it's easy enough to see the drop off in insect life. Twenty or thirty years ago if you drove any distance in the Irish countryside the front of your car and windscreen would be a warzone mausoleum to countless dead insects. Any older farts around here will surely remember this very well - my dad used to give me one punt(big spender he was :D) to clean the front of the family car after such a jaunt. Today this is a much lesser thing.

What puzzles me though is the source of the pollution. The farmers get it in the neck, but in the same lifetime I've seen more and more regulations and more and more farmers being aware of the impacts. I certainly saw worse practices when I was younger. More tree denuded riverbanks, more cleaning out of tanks with river water and the like, never mind less regulation around chemical spraying and usage, never mind the massive government backed drainage schemes of the 50's and 60's which turned natural stream habitats into straight drainage ditches. And still the ecologies of most rural rivers were better. With some rivers I could see more encroachment of housing on flood plains particularly during the "boom" which would have an impact alright. But something more is up from what I can see. Maybe some of the more recent if more regulated chemicals like insecticides are in play more than would be seen in the lab? I can't see local climate change being in play anyway. Ireland has become wetter and warmer to a larger degree. This should actually improve rivers and lakes and their ecologies, at least in the shorter term.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I can't speak for freshwater but I used to do a lot of fishing in the Irish sea as a kid in the 90s and we'd pull in 80 mackerel at a time easily. Last 2 times we went out, in the season for mack, didn't get a bite! Locals have told me it's nothing like it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭jackboy

Wibbs wrote: »
    What puzzles me though is the source of the pollution. The farmers get it in the neck, but in the same lifetime I've seen more and more regulations and more and more farmers being aware of the impacts. I certainly saw worse practices when I was younger. More tree denuded riverbanks, more cleaning out of tanks with river water and the like, never mind less regulation around chemical spraying and usage, never mind the massive government backed drainage schemes of the 50's and 60's which turned natural stream habitats into straight drainage ditches. And still the ecologies of most rural rivers were better. With some rivers I could see more encroachment of housing on flood plains particularly during the "boom" which would have an impact alright. But something more is up from what I can see. Maybe some of the more recent if more regulated chemicals like insecticides are in play more than would be seen in the lab? I can't see local climate change being in play anyway. Ireland has become wetter and warmer to a larger degree. This should actually improve rivers and lakes and their ecologies, at least in the shorter term.
    The proliferation of slatted houses has been a disaster for the environment. The use of these needs to be reversed. This would mean only using breeds of cattle in Ireland that can thrive outside in the irish winter. Of course, that would reduce the efficiency of farms and put many out of business. No easy answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I can't speak for freshwater but I used to do a lot of fishing in the Irish sea as a kid in the 90s and we'd pull in 80 mackerel at a time easily. Last 2 times we went out, in the season for mack, didn't get a bite! Locals have told me it's nothing like it used to be.

Most likely its down to over fishing as your post suggests. Why take 80 mackerel at a time?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Most likely its down to over fishing as your post suggests. Why take 80 mackerel at a time?
    Certainly not overfishing on the rivers and lakes front. 1) I'm personally not nearly that adept at actually catching trout. :D 2) Fishing as a pastime has fallen off a cliff in popularity compared to when I was a kid(from what I understand same goes for sea fishing?). Whatever about the sea where commercial fishing can take a toll, as far as fishing pressure goes there should be more fish in the rivers and lakes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Certainly not overfishing on the rivers and lakes front. 1) I'm personally not nearly that adept at actually catching trout. :D 2) Fishing as a pastime has fallen off a cliff in popularity compared to when I was a kid(from what I understand same goes for sea fishing?). Whatever about the sea where commercial fishing can take a toll, as far as fishing pressure goes there should be more fish in the rivers and lakes.

I'm from the Midlands and some of the local rivers have been overfished , I won't point the blame at anyone.

I'll go back and ask my 12 year old self or my dead uncle. This was normal back then. Recreational fishing in Dublin bay were never the problem anyway, look what bottom trawling for scallops and mega trawlers are doing, and besides all those mackerel we caught were all eaten.

I'll go back and ask my 12 year old self or my dead uncle. This was normal back then. Recreational fishing in Dublin bay were never the problem anyway, look what bottom trawling for scallops and mega trawlers are doing, and besides all those mackerel we caught were all eaten.

My father fished both river and sea, his attitude only catch and take what you can eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Why will it improve?

You can have all the rules and regulations you want but it won't stop illegal practices polluting the rivers on an ongoing basis.

I'm from the Midlands and some of the local rivers have been overfished , I won't point the blame at anyone.
    Oh sure it can be a problem, salmon poaching being an obvious one, though one that has always been with us to some degree or other. However poachers aren't hoovering insects out of the air, so why did they deline? The parlous decline of western seatrout fishing since the 80's wasn't down to poaching, or its impact was tiny(though commercial fish farms seem to be major culprits in that particular case).

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement